Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Beastmaster's End of Season Awards

Beastmaster's End of Season Awards

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
10/9/11 at
9:10:27 PM

For those of us who live in the seasonal areas, the season is in its final weeks. For those of you who don't, and are able to go to parks all year long...well, it's not. But this is as good an opportunity as any to reflect on the season. I'll probably have two more outings...good chance of Dorney on 10/22, and 10/30, last day of the season at GAdv.

Sooooo...that means it's time once again for the BAFAPARC Awards...YAYYY!!! And the crowd goes wild!!! Okay, wake up. For the uninitiated, that's Beastmaster's Awards For Amusement Parks And Roller Coasters...the Beasties, for short. Feel free to create your own awards..artistic licence and off-the-wall sensibilities strongly encouraged!!

Best New Coaster Award: Wooden Warrior

Best New Steel Coaster Award...Untamed (pickings were slim!)

Best New (Old To Me) Coaster Award..Green Lantern, SFGAdv

Best Old (New To Me) Coaster Award..Comet, Great Escape

Air Supply "Even The Nights Are Better" Award..18 rides with Judy P. on Lightning Racer to close it down September 24th

Most Unique Coaster Award...Bobsleds, Seabreeze

Nights In White Satin Memorial Award For Best Dark Ride..Mine Of Lost Souls, Canobie Lake

Yogi Berra Deja Vu All Over Again Award...Re-experiencing the former Sarajevo Bobsleds from GAdv, now Alpine Bobsleds at Great Escape

Wasted DNA Award...My ex-girlfriend Lisa, whose great-grand-uncle, William Mangels, designed the Tickler and invented the Whip, among other patents...but Lisa had zero interest in parks and coasters

Worst Non-Park Moment On The Summer Trip Award...speeding ticket on the road from Albany to Rochester

Best Non-Park Moment On The Summer Trip Award..my visit to the National Toy Hall Of Fame in Rochester. What a cool place!

Giving Something Back Award...participating in the Coasting For Kids Charity Event at Dorney July 24. 63 rides on Steel Force, and raised over $800 for a great cause!

H.A.G (Hoist A Glass) Award...riding Runaway Train at GAdv in tribute to Mr. (it's not a) Toomer. R.I.P, Ron.

El Toro Back Seat Convert Award..Gina Minichino

Is It Or Isn't It Award..Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train, SFGAdv. Family? Kiddie? Both? Neither?

Got Away With One Award...Not charged for parking on TWO separate visits to SF America..couldn't make it a trifecta at Great Escape, though.

Aging Like Fine Wine Award..Wild One, SF America. I like this ride more each time.

Best Retro Flat Ride Award...Yo-Yo at Quassy. My first. Sooo much better than your standard swing ride.

Best Post-Park Meal Award...OUR FIRST TIE! Golden Corral in Fredericksburg following Kings Dominion, and Golden Corral in South Jersey following GAdv yesterday.

Single Best Ride Award...Last ride on Nitro in the pitch blackness of the Jersey Woods with Paul, Jen and Gee August 2.

Someone Get Me A Cup Of Coffee Award..El Toro. The Bull really needed some caffeine in the a.m. this season.

Biggest Disappointment Award..Finally getting Donna to Great Adventure after years of invitations. Her first visit in around 15 years, and we got on two rides in four hours.

Most Disappointing Ride removal Award..Skull Mountain, SFAm

Against Every Fiber Of My Being Award..waiting..more than once, mind you..for the FRONT (shudder!!!) "seat" on Green Lantern.

Cool People Ride Roller Coasters Award...Zach G., Gee G., Gina M., Laura J., Jen Q., Paul H., Judy P., Kia G., Donna D., Mike M., D-Kia, Gary D. (That list is chronological..I only left off one person I rode with this year, because he didn't fit the name of the award:)

Hope you had as much fun reading this as I did writing it.

Mike (Chairman/President, BAFAPARC Nominating Committee)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/9/11 10:08:49 PM

Wow, Wooden Warrior must be one bad ass family woodie to take the #1 spot. LOL

Hey Mike, What type of ride is Skull Mtn and what park is it in? I take it that you're not talking about the coaster Skull Mtn(SFGAdv).

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/9/11 10:41:29 PM

He's talking about the Skull Mountain flume ride at SF America, which was unfortunately already closed when I went.

Jen

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/9/11 10:50:51 PM

> Worst Non-Park Moment On The Summer Trip Award...speeding
> ticket on the road from Albany to Rochester

One day I will have to take you out on the road and teach you how to speed properly - NOT in a construction zone! ;~)

> H.A.G (Hoist A Glass) Award...riding Runaway Train at GAdv
> in tribute to Mr. (it's not a) Toomer. R.I.P, Ron.

I second that since I participated!

> Is It Or Isn't It Award..Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train,
> SFGAdv. Family? Kiddie? Both? Neither?

It's a kiddie coaster! How funny was it that Gary played the role of Switzerland and wouldn't even touch that argument.

> Aging Like Fine Wine Award..Wild One, SF America. I like
> this ride more each time.

I give this to Nessie with Rebel Yell at a close second since I rode both of them 30 years ago and can really judge the aging process but I really like the Wild One too.

> Best Post-Park Meal Award...OUR FIRST TIE! Golden Corral in
> Fredericksburg following Kings Dominion, and Golden Corral
> in South Jersey following GAdv yesterday.

It's the same chain so technically it's not really a tie.

> Single Best Ride Award...Last ride on Nitro in the pitch
> blackness of the Jersey Woods with Paul, Jen and Gee August
> 2.

I second this one as well. "Jazz hands!"

> Someone Get Me A Cup Of Coffee Award..El Toro. The Bull
> really needed some caffeine in the a.m. this season.

Someone get me a book to read award: 5th Consecutive ride on ET!

> Cool People Ride Roller Coasters Award...Zach G., Gee G.,
> Gina M., Laura J., Jen Q., Paul H., Judy P., Kia G., Donna
> D., Mike M., D-Kia, Gary D. (That list is chronological..I
> only left off one person I rode with this year, because he
> didn't fit the name of the award:)

Right back at ya!

Jen

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/10/11 7:13:11 AM

> Wow, Wooden Warrior must be one bad ass family woodie to
> take the #1 spot. LOL

Wouldn't say "bad ass," just a helluva lotta fun!

> Hey Mike, What type of ride is Skull Mtn and what park is
> it in? I take it that you're not talking about the coaster
> Skull Mtn(SFGAdv).

Jen's right in her post above. This was probably my favorite flume ride for the overall package of theming, soakability, and length.

Mike

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/10/11 8:32:41 AM

> It's the same chain so technically it's not really a tie.

I look at it the same way as a re-located coaster...different location, different foods, different servers..different experience!

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by Coaster316 at 10/10/11 11:37:31 AM

> I look at it the same way as a re-located
> coaster...different location, different foods, different
> servers..different experience!

Awesome.

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/10/11 6:12:02 PM

> It's the same chain so technically it's not really a tie.

> I look at it the same way as a re-located
> coaster...different location, different foods, different
> servers..different experience!

Now that's a stretch. It's like saying my favorite meal was a tie: Mc Donalds on Rte 4 and Mc Donalds on Tonnellee Ave. It's really just Mc Donalds.

So, in conclusion: It isn't a tie and it is a kiddie coaster! (he he he!)

Jen

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/13/11 3:12:41 PM

Best new coaster to me:
Win: Hades at Mt. Olympus
Place: Boulderdash at Lake Compounce
Show: Kentucky Rumbler at Beech Bend

Most Pleasant surprise award:
Win: Cyclops at Mt. Olympus
Place: Skyliner at Lakemont
Show: Wildcat at Lake Compounce

Aging like fine wine award:
Win: Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer
Place: Phoenix at Knoebels
Show: Lightning Racer at Hershey Park

Single best ride award:
Win: El Toro back seat ride
Place: Hades front seat ride
Show: Boulderdash front seat ride

Best day of the year award:
Win: June 1st at SF Great Adventure
Place: mid July at Mt. Olympus and Timber Falls
Show: June 2nd at Hershey Park

Biggest Disappointment:
Win: Getting to Quassy at 6:00 and finding the park was closed
Place: Mt. Olympus making us wait until a train was full on Hades before dispatching it.
Show: General operations at Kennywood

Most disappointing coasters
Win: Cornball Express at Indiana Beach
Place: Hellcat at Timber Falls
Show: Zeus at Mt. Olympus

Marathon award: 20 rides on Kentucky Rumbler

Reunion long over due: Phoenix at Knoebels 10 years since previous visit.

New favorite small park award: Mt. Olympus

Most unique coaster award: Lost Coaster of Superstition Mt. at IB

Park most impressed with award: Lake Compounce

Roughest ride of the year: Wildcat at Hershey

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/13/11 3:44:25 PM

> Most Pleasant surprise award:
> Win: Cyclops at Mt. Olympus
> Place: Skyliner at Lakemont
> Show: Wildcat at Lake Compounce

Wildcat? Seriously? I can't imagine it's improved much since my rides last year. Awful, I tells ya.

> Aging like fine wine award:
> Win: Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer

How does a coaster that's only 3+ years old even become ELIGIBLE for this award...much less win? Don't get me wrong..in my rankings, it's second only to El Toro.

Mike

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/13/11 4:24:09 PM

> Most Pleasant surprise award:
> Win: Cyclops at Mt. Olympus
> Place: Skyliner at Lakemont
> Show: Wildcat at Lake Compounce

> Wildcat? Seriously? I can't imagine it's improved much
> since my rides last year. Awful, I tells ya.

> Aging like fine wine award:
> Win: Ravine Flyer II at Waldameer

> How does a coaster that's only 3+ years old even become
> ELIGIBLE for this award...much less win? Don't get me
> wrong..in my rankings, it's second only to El Toro.

> Mike

On Wildcat there were several areas where they did recent track work. In fact they still had those areas unpainted. Therefore they probably addressed some issues in the past year.
As for Ravine Flyer II, we take an annual trip to Waldameer every year. Each year Ravine Flyer II is noticeably getting better and better. I think the next time you ride it, you'll notice how it has improved since your last visit. This is a coaster that keeps climbing my personal top 10 wooden coaster list higher and higher every year.

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/13/11 4:34:34 PM

^^^Hey Frontrow, when you were in Kentucky, did you get to ride the flatride 'Scat 2'? That thing had the most positive-G's of any ride that I've experienced.

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/13/11 4:43:47 PM

> ^^^Hey Frontrow, when you were in Kentucky, did you get to
> ride the flatride 'Scat 2'? That thing had the most
> positive-G's of any ride that I've experienced.

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride that. In fact I'll have to look at my park map to see which ride that is. The problem I had is that I stopped at that park on the way home from the boat and didn't pack a pair shorts that had zippered pockets. There were several flat rides I wanted to ride, such as Power Surge, but I chose not to due to the fear of everything flying out of my pockets. I'm going to look that ride up and see if it was one of the rides I wanted to ride.

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/14/11 2:33:34 AM

Here go an off-ride youtube vid of it (Scat 2).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PILsUKb51SU&feature=related

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/14/11 6:34:44 AM

I went to Beech Bend only once, in 2007. Although I spent a good chunk of my time marathoning Kentucky Rumbler, I sampled most of the other rides. I don't remember this one, and definitely didn't go on it. But the video is from 2006, so it must have been there. Looks pretty cool...simple, but cool.

Mike

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/14/11 4:04:50 PM

I was there in 2008 and this ride was not there.Darn....this looked like fun!!

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by drachen drachen Profile at 10/18/11 11:25:07 PM

Though my season is not necessarily over, I can cast my vote on a very eventful 2011 amusement park season for me...

Best New Coaster for 2011... not a lot to choose from.
Winner - Wooden Warrior, Quassy
Place - Green Lantern, Six Flags Great Adventure
Show - None.

Best New (to me) Coaster (not new in 2011)...
Winner - The Legend, Holiday World.
Place - The Voyage, Holiday World
Show - Ravine Flyer II, Waldameer
Honorable Mention - Cornball Express, Indiana Beach

Best New (to me) Non-Coaster Ride...
Winner - Caterpillar, Idlewild. What a great, classic ride.
Place - Air Race, Luna Park
Show - Derby Racer, Rye Playland

Best New (to me) Dark Ride/Walk-Through...
Winner - Frankenstein's Castle, Indiana Beach
Place - Whacky Shack - Waldameer
Show - Pirate's Cove - Waldameer
Honorable Mentions - Zombie Castle & Flying Witch, Rye Playland

Best Coaster Ride of the Year...
Winner - 1st Front Seat Ride on The Legend
Place - 1st Back Seat Ride on The Voyage
Show - 1st Back Seat Ride on Ravine Flyer II

Best New to Me Park...
Winner - Holiday World, by a mile
Place - Waldameer Park
Show - Indiana Beach

Most Uncharacterisic, but job well done move...
Six Flags Great Adventure for a single rider line on Green Lantern.

Hadn't been in a while and forgot how fun it was Park...
Six Flags America and their SPECTACULAR Superman: Ride of Steel and Wild One

Best Halloween Event...
Dorney Park

Redemption Ride...
Nitro. I don't know if it's me, and Nitro has always been great, but this year it seems to be running better than ever.

In Memorium...
Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom - Fresh in my mind as I saw it sitting silent today. After two missed seasons, its future looks bleak.

Wondering about...
is Morey's Piers building a new roller coaster for 2012 or not? Signs point to yes. Still no announcement.

Most Anticipated New Ride for 2012...
Winner - Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland
Place - X-Flight, Six Flags Great America
Show - Wild Eagle, Dollywood
Honorable Mention - Skyrush, Hersheypark
Dark Horse - FLYING TURNS, Knoebels - I really think it will open next summer.

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/19/11 2:52:11 PM

Interesting awards list, well I'll focus on the main stuff and add some of my own:

Best New Coaster Award: Cheetah Hunt - despite it being 'tame', it was still a fun ride and a nice addition to the park. Not to mention finally something occupying that unused space.

Best New Coaster [that I've been waiting a while to ride] Award: Manta - and it was worth it. It puts the S:UF ride [SFGAdv] to shame.

Best new trains on a wood coaster Award: Gwazi - the ride was way more tollerable. So tollerable that I didn't have to hand on to the metal bar at all, arms up the whole ride.

Best ride on an invert: Montu, will still be my fav even though they added the trims before the batwing element.

Disappointing ride reduction award: Rhino Rally. Granted Cheetah hunt needed the space and RR probably had problems with the raft segment of the ride, it was still what made RR fun. Now that it's been neutered, it's not even worth riding other than just to see the animals upclose.

Neat animal experience award: Pacific Point at Sea world Orlando. I want to say it was both humorous and sad seeing the sealions begging for food. Bring earmuffs if you don't want to go deaf, that's how loud they were.

Ride that nearly scared the crap out of me award: last row of the Coney island Cyclone. Holy crap...

Favorite flat ride: Air Race at Luna Park at Coney Island.

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/19/11 2:57:11 PM

> Bring earmuffs if you don't
> want to go deaf, that's how loud they were.

I ain't worried ;)

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 10/19/11 3:34:23 PM

Thanks for two SFA shoutouts Beastmaster!

Wild One - Yes, that is such a gem and underrated coaster at SFA. I keep mentioning this, but many people don't like SFA (the park is a lot better than people give it credit for and much improved over the years).

Skull Mountain - I loved that ride. It is too bad that it had to be shut down due to maintanence issues. It was even better back in the Typhoon Seacoaster days when they used the turntables and had a backwards section.

MarathonRunner

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/19/11 3:44:31 PM

> Thanks for two SFA shoutouts Beastmaster!

Three, actually, if you count the parking thing. Sure made me happy heading into the park both times this season.

> Skull Mountain - I loved that ride. It is too bad that it
> had to be shut down due to maintanence issues. It was even
> better back in the Typhoon Seacoaster days when they used
> the turntables and had a backwards section.

Every time I rode it..5 or 6 times..It had a working turntable at the top of the last lift hill. I never experienced it as Typhoon Sea Coaster.

Mike

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/22/11 7:58:18 PM

> Best New Coaster [that I've been waiting a while to ride]
> Award: Manta - and it was worth it. It puts the S:UF ride
> [SFGAdv] to shame.

When we went to SFGAdv a few weeks back and I was saying how I refuse to go on S:UF anymore (as most of you know, I HATE flyers) Gary made me promise that I'd try Manta. He said it was so different from the other flyers. I'll have to get down there soon and try it out.

Jen

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/23/11 8:48:03 PM

> [SFGAdv] to shame.

> When we went to SFGAdv a few weeks back and I was saying
> how I refuse to go on S:UF anymore (as most of you know, I
> HATE flyers) Gary made me promise that I'd try Manta. He
> said it was so different from the other flyers. I'll have
> to get down there soon and try it out.

> Jen

Manta is amazing Jen and I am not a fan of the flyers either! Get a ride in the back and you will experience the most insane g force you could ever imagine! Me and my friend could not even keep our eyes open!The force is THAT strong!!...Dion

Re: Beastmaster's End of Season Awards by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/25/11 7:06:42 PM

> [SFGAdv] to shame.

> When we went to SFGAdv a few weeks back and I was saying
> how I refuse to go on S:UF anymore (as most of you know, I
> HATE flyers) Gary made me promise that I'd try Manta. He
> said it was so different from the other flyers. I'll have
> to get down there soon and try it out.

> Jen

It was a fantastic ride. Normally the pretzel loop would've meant pain, but Manta's loop wasn't too bad. The theming was very nice and it had a few more rolls that the S:UF clones lacked. I totally recommend it. From my 3 days at Sea World, I think i rode Manta almost 15 times. And it wasn't because it was that or Kraken, I really did enjoy Manta.