Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Second Season

The Second Season

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
10/4/11 at
5:52:40 PM

The board has been a little dormant for the past few days. I'm a little surprised.

Sure the summer season has ended. But for me, the second amusement park season is just beginning - the October/Halloween season. In fact, it's my preferred time to visit amusement parks. In fact, I look forward to this time of year just as much as I look forward to the parks' opening seasons in the spring.

Halloween has become a big money maker for parks over the past 10 years or so. Many parks have had Halloween events for much longer, but only in recent years have parks really been pushing their Halloween events.

For me, I love Halloween, and I think the holiday and amusement parks are a perfect fit. I love the cool fall weather, and I love the fall colors here in the Northeast.

I had a great 2002 fall season. I was really impressed with Six Flags Magic Mountain's Halloween event, and with Knott's Scary Farm. I also attended Lagoon's in Utah that year.

Last year was my favorite fall season to date. It included first time visits to Six Flags Great America, Six Flags New England, and Lake Compounce, as well as yearly seasonal visits to Hersheypark, Dorney Park, and Knoebels.

This year, I simply hope to make it to the latter three. Dorney puts on a great Halloween event, and Knoebels is just gorgeous in the fall. I have yet to get to Hersheypark this year, so I hope to do that soon.

From a rides standpoint, there is nothing like a cold roller coaster ride to me. I love the cold air in my face, making my eyes water. Night rides in the fall are roller coaster heaven for me, especially on a wooden ride. And in the fall, the dark comes earlier, making for seemingly longer nights in the parks. Longer nights means more lights, and more night rides.

Halloween events that I have yet to get to, but are on my to-do list are:

Cedar Point - I hear the crowds are minimal on Friday nights.

Great Adventure - I'm told it's very well-done, and the crowds are light.

Morey's Pier - Inaugural Halloween event in 2011. It sounds really neat. I just don't see a way to get down there this year.

Does anyone else love going to parks this time of year, or is it just me?

Re: The Second Season by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 10/4/11 6:53:03 PM

I second that notion!! I love the cooler weather and the night rides!! Plus combine that with the haunted attractions.I love anything having to do with haunts.The best I have ever been to was The Haunted Graveyard at Lake Compounce! It was amazing!Plus getting to do Boulder Dash at night is just an incredible experience any coaster enthusiast must experience!!

Re: The Second Season by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/4/11 8:13:59 PM

>> This year, I simply hope to make it to the latter three.
> Dorney puts on a great Halloween event

Last year, they did a spectacular job.

I have yet to get to Hersheypark
> this year, so I hope to do that soon.

I love how HersheyPark actually changes the names of the rides for Halloween with new signage.

> Great Adventure - I'm told it's very well-done, and the
> crowds are light.

Until about 4pm..yes.
4pm until closing..no

I don't find their FrightFest particularly notable. Some of the shows are really penny-ante, they have more upcharge haunts than usual this year, and I'm disappointed they gave the boot to Wheel Of Fright the last two years.

> Does anyone else love going to parks this time of year, or
> is it just me?

It's not just you.

Mike

Re: The Second Season by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 10/5/11 8:58:49 AM

I like the "second season" as well but sometimes I do think I prefer spring the most for coaster rides.

I love the early morning ride on Nitro where the sun is shining down on all of the trees making it look like the world is just covered in green. It's one of my favorite views.

I do like the excitement that Fright Fest at SFGAdv and all of the other events give, but the wait times are soooo much greater. So that's one draw back. I agree about the cold air, it does feel good, but sometimes it can be too much! haha

Looks like I might have to head to Dorney if people are saying they put on a good haunt. I have only been to SFGAdv and Carowinds for Halloween events. Carowinds was very well done but the one show I saw was just too cheesy for me haha. Super long waits that time too, I didn't get to enjoy the park at all really.

So yeah, some good and bad things about the late season imo. I prefer the earlier time of the season but it's always a rush to get those really dark and cool rides in Sept-October!

- mugen

Re: The Second Season by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 10/5/11 2:52:01 PM

We were at Kings Dominion this past Sunday (10/2) with temps in the afternoon in the mid 50s. Nothing more amazing then a night ride on I305 with it being just above 50 degrees...lol The Haunt stuff wasnt going on that night so we are going back on the 30th as well as hitting up BGW at somepoint.

Re: The Second Season by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/5/11 3:14:53 PM

> We were at Kings Dominion this past Sunday (10/2) with
> temps in the afternoon in the mid 50s. Nothing more amazing
> then a night ride on I305 with it being just above 50
> degrees...lol The Haunt stuff wasnt going on that night so
> we are going back on the 30th as well as hitting up BGW at
> somepoint.

It seems Cedar Fair is cutting back the Haunt stuff on Sundays..pretty sure I read Dorney's wouldn't be going on Sundays, although the park's open. financial reasons, I'd surmise. How were the crowds at KD Sunday?

I've had about 30-40 rides on I-305, and I rank it as my #1 steel. Never had a night ride, though (*JEALOUS*)

Mike

Re: The Second Season by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 10/5/11 4:12:50 PM

This thread makes me quite sad that Michigan's Adventure is fully closed til Spring. It's 70 degrees and there's not a cloud in the sky, and it's dark by 8:00.

Just another reason to trek to Cedar Point or Great America I guess.

Re: The Second Season by alpengeistno3 at 10/6/11 12:07:37 AM

> It seems Cedar Fair is cutting back the Haunt stuff on
> Sundays..pretty sure I read Dorney's wouldn't be going on
> Sundays, although the park's open. financial reasons, I'd
> surmise. How were the crowds at KD Sunday?

Kings Dominion's facebook admin. says they decided to cut Haunt on Sunday in order to allow the kids to enjoy the Halloween decorations without being freaked by the actors. I say, "Yeah, right." Your theory seems more likely. Also, it is harder to get young, eager actors on a school night. KD and the other parks have probably expanded their Halloween exibits to the point that they can no longer sustain them all on a Sunday. (Fridays was hard enough with a lot of clearly missing scares in the walk-throughs last week.

Paul

Re: The Second Season by squirrels at 10/6/11 7:27:39 AM

I haven't been to the other parks, but what you said about Cedar Point on Friday nights during Halloweekends is spot-on. The crowds are at a minimum, which makes their "haunted" areas that much better. If you have a huge crowd walking around a haunted house, it lessens the effectiveness of the "scares", because the characters "give away" their startle-tactics on the people in front of you and then have to reset. When it's just you or your party, it makes it THAT much better.

And yes, the ride lines are very short. And riding MF in the fog is quite an experience.

Forget about Saturday, though...expect 2 hour waits for the most popular stuff.

Re: The Second Season by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 10/6/11 10:30:43 AM

> It seems Cedar Fair is cutting back the Haunt stuff on
> Sundays..pretty sure I read Dorney's wouldn't be going on
> Sundays, although the park's open. financial reasons, I'd
> surmise. How were the crowds at KD Sunday?

> I've had about 30-40 rides on I-305, and I rank it as my #1
> steel. Never had a night ride, though (*JEALOUS*)

> Mike

There were zero crowds last Sunday. We got 17 rides on 305 that day and ended the night at close (8 pm) with 3 rides on Volcano in the front row without getting off. I dont think we ever waited more then 10 min for any ride and that estimate may be way off.

Looking at KD's calander it seems they are doing the Haunt every other Sunday. Last Sunday was off, this Sunday looks to be doing it, with the 16th being off again. The last two Sundays of the month they are doing it.

Re: The Second Season by drachen drachen Profile at 10/6/11 2:31:45 PM

> Nothing more amazing
> then a night ride on I305 with it being just above 50
> degrees...

That had to be fun. I don't know what it is. There is just something so refreshing about riding a roller coaster in the cold. I can only imagine that a cool, night ride on I-305 was quite invigorating...