Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags and the "Flash Pass"

Six Flags and the "Flash Pass"

Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile

Posted:
9/27/11 at
11:36:18 AM

I know this has probably been a well and in depth discussed topic over the years, but since I never used it or followed how well/bad/etc it works, I wanted to get some expert opinions. Also, I haven't visited a SF park in maybe 10 years.

1 - the price point seems insane (to put it mildly)
2 - does the general rule apply of: go to a park on an off day and you get as many rides as you want, thereby nullifying the need for it?
3 - does it actually work or the park employees clueless and it end up being a total hassle?

We are toying with the idea of going to SF Over Georgia before it closes for the season. Never been to the park before and likely won't be one I'd visit all the time (8 hour drive each way), so if it was essential I would consider getting it (even though the principle of it turns my stomach).

We are also planning on going to Great Adventure next year as I want to ride El Toro really really bad & as many times as possible. When I used to live in the area it never seemed that Great Adventure had any "off days". Even weekdays in the early season were mildly crowded (please correct me if things have changed since then). So I figured that it was almost an essential purchase (for Great Adventure at least).

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/27/11 12:10:13 PM

Dr. Quinlan, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

> We are also planning on going to Great Adventure next year
> as I want to ride El Toro really really bad & as many
> times as possible.

Why would you want to do something like that? The ride bites. Go to the other end of the park and marathon Dark Knight. Now THAT's a ride!! ;)

GAdv still has some uncrowded days, especially in the Spring, and end of season weekends, pre-Fright Fest. I've only used FlashPass when I've gone with Jen, who I believe will respond to your post in kind.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/27/11 12:16:24 PM

You'll love SF Over Georgia. It's a great park with an outstanding coaster collection. It's my 2nd favorite SF park, with Great Adventure being my favorite. I never purchased the flash pass. Last year we visited Carowinds, SF Over Georgia, and Dollywood in the first week of June and everything was a walk on. This year we visited Dorney, SF Great Adventure, and Hershey in the first week of June. There were lines at Hershey but Dorney and Great Adventure were empty. We always go on a coaster trip that first week of June on the week days because most schools are still in and the parks are usually empty. We do the same the last week in August on the week days due to the same reason. The point I'm trying to make is that if you have the option to visit parks during those time periods we don't need the flash pass.

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/27/11 2:08:49 PM

> Dr. Quinlan, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

LOL! OK, answering my page.... I am the Flash Pass connoisseur!

1 - the price point seems insane (to put it mildly): I disagree - for the regular pass you're talking around $35/person and I think that's a small price to pay to eliminate standing on lines for hours. I prefer to go to SFGAdv a few times less per year with the FP than many times without it.

2 - does the general rule apply of: go to a park on an off day and you get as many rides as you want, thereby nullifying the need for it? Yes, essentially. Obviously if there is no wait/short waits than why bother?

3 - does it actually work or the park employees clueless and it end up being a total hassle? It works very well at SFGAdv. Can't speak for SF over Georgia, never been there unfortunately, but I would assume that most SF parks have the system down pat by now. I have never encountered any problems using it and I've used it many times.

My advice with the Flash Pass is always start with the regular and you can always upgrade if the waits are too long.

See this post for further explanation on the different types and how they each work:
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=216668

Jen

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 9/27/11 2:34:28 PM

Thanks. Definitely something we are going to consider for Great Adventure.

I'm guessing Georgia would be crowded at it's the final weekend of the year. Anyone have any opinions ?

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by alpengeistno3 at 9/27/11 7:40:26 PM

My take on Flash Pass, if you go on a day when you shouldn't need it, most likely you won't. I, like Mike, have never used one until this year. It's always easier to adjust you plan based on the crowd when you are in a small group or by yourself.

As for SFOG, I went two years ago. The longest lines were Superman: UF, and Batman the Ride. Both were walkons by the end of the night. Goliath can get long, but is a real people eater, so it moves fast. I say start with Goliath, then Batman, then run to Superman before the crowds gets back there. (Daredevil Dive may have to take the place of Goliath now that I think about it. I have heard the line can be excruciatingly long and slow moving due to low capacity.

You can hit Georgia Cyclone, Ninja, Scream Machine and the mine train (can't spell that name for the life of me!) any time of the day in under 20 mins. Georgia Scorcher and Mind Bender will start out long, but will thin out to next to nothing by the end of the day.

My moral, you may have to eat some long waits, but overall, you can rack up some rides as long as you get to the park early and know which rides have typically have short lines during the peak. Then kill it once the crowds die down after dinner.

Not sure how that will play out during the fall, but I think you can manage SFOG without a Flash Pass if you stick with the above plan

Paul

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 9/27/11 9:15:45 PM

Thanks. I kinda laughed when I saw that you pay $15 for one ride on Daredevil. Sounds like a sucker deal unless you wipe your a$$ with Ben Franklin's. LOL

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/28/11 5:07:22 PM

I would look at how the crowds are for the day, adn then decide. We went to SFoG 7 years ago or so, when they were using the QBot for their flashpass system. I honsetly don't know if they are still using it or not. We were there on a day we thought would have been light crowds (a Weds at the end of June), and it ended up being packed. Realized it early and spent the money on the flashpass and, for us at least, that saved our day. While most of the coasters had 1-2 hour waits, we were walking on to them. We'd set a time on the pass, go to a ride, when we got off our time window was approaching. On the walk to it we'd queue up another ride. Take the current ride, get off, see the next time approaching, queue another one on the way to it, and just progressed that way.

Occaisionally we'd get a bit of extra time between them to hit other rides that didn't have long lines- like some of the flats. With it we managed to cover every coaster and most of the flats- something that would have been impossible that day without with.

However, if you're there on a weekday now, with school in session, you likely won't need it.

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/28/11 9:22:06 PM

I finally experienced one of "those days" at SFGAdv this past Saturday.
I was there for the Riding of the Bull Tres event.
During regular park hours the longest wait for anything was 15 minutes (and that was for one of my eight Nitro rides over the course of the day). I've heard others having days like that there but it had never happened for me. And there was no rain.

Anyway, I didn't see any Qbots!

Oh, what RobLec wrote re user name BeastAtNight is also what I recall: Chris Trease was his name.

Mike B.

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/30/11 10:29:45 AM

Another comment on the Flash pass, and maybe Jen will have a better answer than me ;) but, when I used to get Flash Passes years ago, you had to reserve the rides at the exit of the line for each ride. This made it difficult to reserve rides because you couldn't sometimes traverse across the park to reserve a ride before it was time to ride the ride you already had reserved before!

I found out this year, and maybe it has been like this for a while, but you can now reserve rides while being anywhere! I saw this and discussed it with someone at Great Adventure, who reserved a ride from the parking lot! I'm not sure if this is something that is done at SFG. I go to Great Adventure a lot and haven't gotten one in years but during the time I did, I would have killed for a feature like that.

apparently they also get updates when the rides are up and broken down, which is a huge advantage.

I'd get a regular one if you aren't ever gonna be at the park again or maybe in a few years so you get the best out of your visit, and then like Jen said if you need the gold or platinum, upgrade accordingly to the size of the crowds.

- mugen

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/30/11 12:24:54 PM

> Another comment on the Flash pass, and maybe Jen will have
> a better answer than me ;) but, when I used to get Flash
> Passes years ago, you had to reserve the rides at the exit
> of the line for each ride. This made it difficult to
> reserve rides because you couldn't sometimes traverse
> across the park to reserve a ride before it was time to
> ride the ride you already had reserved before!

> I found out this year, and maybe it has been like this for
> a while, but you can now reserve rides while being
> anywhere! I saw this and discussed it with someone at Great
> Adventure, who reserved a ride from the parking lot! I'm
> not sure if this is something that is done at SFG. I go to
> Great Adventure a lot and haven't gotten one in years but
> during the time I did, I would have killed for a feature
> like that.

> apparently they also get updates when the rides are up and
> broken down, which is a huge advantage.

> I'd get a regular one if you aren't ever gonna be at the
> park again or maybe in a few years so you get the best out
> of your visit, and then like Jen said if you need the gold
> or platinum, upgrade accordingly to the size of the crowds.

> - mugen

I have never experienced that, must have been a very long time ago before I became a FP addict :~). As soon as the employee clears the FP when you enter the queue, you can enter you're next ride before you even ride the current one. It does work from the parking lot but you are supposed to bring it back to the FP Station for holding whenever you leave the park. I never do but I also don't actually leave the park property (parking lot). If I were going to leave and return later, I'd bring it back to them to hold.

It does notify you when rides are down or if they reopen. Sometimes this is annoying because you will get notices that things are down, then back up within 1 minute. Not sure how they determine the status to send to everyone but it must be directly through the ride somehow and something minor must trigger it.

You will never need the platinum pass - it's the pretty much the same as the gold except your wait is slightly less (with the Gold I've never had a wait of more than 15 minutes) and you get to ride each ride twice in a row without getting off. For an extra $70/unit that is not worth it (unless you're independently wealthy, and even then I question the value).

Jen

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/2/11 12:13:06 PM

> We are toying with the idea of going to SF Over Georgia
> before it closes for the season. Never been to the park
> before and likely won't be one I'd visit all the time (8
> hour drive each way), so if it was essential I would
> consider getting it (even though the principle of it turns
> my stomach).

Right now Batman TR is temporary closed for a substantial period of time. No word when it's due to reopen.

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by GSutton at 10/25/11 8:49:40 PM

SFMM also charges $15.00 for 1 ride no wait with X-2 on their flash-pass(X-2 is an extra price option). Their flash pass is 2 consecutive rides however without a break other than you're supposed to change your seat for the 2nd ride. X-2 is only ONE ride. Staff were not requiring us to change seats on any of the coasters...did it cause guest tensions?...you bet it did!!! Personally, I think even $100.00 more is very fair to have unlimited walk-on access in a busy park instead of an hour/2-hour+ waits per 1 ride. I did every SFMM coaster at least 4 times before 2 p.m. the last time I had the pass ( I think it was like $85.00 + original admission cost but again, well worth it...). In closing, Really, who wants to wait even 20 minutes if you can literally walk right on??? -Gary

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by firefitn firefitn Profile at 1/23/12 12:48:52 AM

I took my daughter to SF in st Louis. This was the first time there, and my first time at SF in ten years. my daughter has never been on a real coaster and I knew she would have hated waiting in lines. I read about the flash pass and decided to go three platinum route. The gold pass said it was a reduced time, no immediate repeat rides. the platinum said it was almost instant and you could wait once and ride twice. I'm glad I picked the platinum, all rides were instant walk INS, to the front row, and we rode them twice. The only exception was Mr Freeze. Due to their loading process, two main waiting lines, we had to wait about 5 minutes to ride it. 5 minutes beats 1-2 hours every day and is well worth the $85 each. All the coaster lines were at least 1 hour all day long, except for some lame ride named ninja. We only encountered 2 upset patrons, but the staff quickly shut then up. They would tell the people they spent an extra 100 to have the privilege to skip to the front, and you can too, just go get a flash pass. I think the ride my daughter liked the most was The Boss, a fast wooden coaster with several decent drops and lots of speed. We rode this ride 16 times without leaving the station. I reserved the ride on the flash pass, got on the front row, reserved the ride again. Rode the second time, exited the ride, called the staff over, walk back up to the front row. We would miss one train each time, but it was well worth it. We finally left to a different ride, but I'm sure there were some people digging in their pockets for some extra flash pass cash. I'll never ride in a park again without a flash pass

Re: Six Flags and the "Flash Pass" by firefitn firefitn Profile at 1/23/12 1:23:07 AM

I took my daughter to SF in st Louis. This was the first time there, and my first time at SF in ten years. my daughter has never been on a real coaster and I knew she would have hated waiting in lines. I read about the flash pass and decided to go three platinum route. The gold pass said it was a reduced time, no immediate repeat rides. the platinum said it was almost instant and you could wait once and ride twice. I'm glad I picked the platinum, all rides were instant walk INS, to the front row, and we rode them twice. The only exception was Mr Freeze. Due to their loading process, two main waiting lines, we had to wait about 5 minutes to ride it. 5 minutes beats 1-2 hours every day and is well worth the $85 each. All the coaster lines were at least 1 hour all day long, except for some lame ride named ninja. We only encountered 2 upset patrons, but the staff quickly shut then up. They would tell the people they spent an extra 100 to have the privilege to skip to the front, and you can too, just go get a flash pass. I think the ride my daughter liked the most was The Boss, a fast wooden coaster with several decent drops and lots of speed. We rode this ride 16 times without leaving the station. I reserved the ride on the flash pass, got on the front row, reserved the ride again. Rode the second time, exited the ride, called the staff over, walk back up to the front row. We would miss one train each time, but it was well worth it. We finally left to a different ride, but I'm sure there were some people digging in their pockets for some extra flash pass cash. I'll never ride in a park again without a flash pass