Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Defunct coasters in Ocean City, MD?

Defunct coasters in Ocean City, MD?

Schrecken Schrecken Profile

Posted:
9/26/11 at
1:39:46 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has any information about a couple of rollercoasters that operated in Ocean City back in the early 1980's. I have checked out rcdb.com to try and figure which coasters these might have been but I'm not having much luck.

I believe I was around 10 or 12 years old at the time, so that would put the time frame from about 1980 to around 1982. One coaster was a typical old-school wild mouse with the zig-zagging track on top and a couple of drops. The cars were themed to look like mice and I don't recall there being much, if anything, in the way of restraints - you just got in and held on.

The other was some kind of steel sit-down non-looping coaster, rather like the portable type you occasionally see at fairs and carnivals. The track was painted red and that's about all I remember of it, appearance wise.

Both coasters were down at the beginning of the boardwalk, somewhere between 1st and 5th street. It also seemed that neither was that close to the ocean, perhaps a block or two inland.

I did find a possible contender for the red coaster -
http://www.rcdb.com/2603.htm
But according to the map, that was almost right on the water. However, it was dark when I rode it so it's possible that's why I don't recall it being that close to the water.

The mouse is a bit more of a mystery as I don't see (at least according to rcdb) any wild mice at all that were operating at or around that time. Does anyone remember there being a wild mouse at Ocean City in the early 1980's? Or anything else about the other coaster I mentioned?

Re: Defunct coasters in Ocean City, MD? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 9/26/11 3:36:37 PM

My family used to vacation in Ocean City, Maryland for 1 or 2 weeks almost every summer in the 1970's/early 1980's. The Wild Mouse you are referring to was at Trimper's Rides at the very beginning of the boardwalk. I believe it was a Schiff Wild Mouse and it was removed sometime during the mid 1980's. A Vekoma Boomerang (called "Tidal Wave") replaced it and still operates today. As for the coaster with the red track, it could've been either the "Jet 400" (which was the link you posted) that operated from the mid 1970's to 1980 (removed after the 1980 season), or the "Zyklon", which replaced the Jet 400 for the 1981 (and possibly 1982) season and also had red track. We didn't go to Ocean City in 1982, so I'm not sure what was there that year. In 1983 the "Flitzer" was in the spot on the pier formerly occupied by the Zyklon and Jet 400.
I never rode the Wild Mouse at Trimper's, the Jet 400 or the Zyklon, as I was a little "chickened" to ride roller coasters at that time (I was in my teens during the late 1970's/early 1980's).

Re: Defunct coasters in Ocean City, MD? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/26/11 4:36:12 PM

Thanks for your reply. I knew there was a wild mouse somewhere in OC around that time and I'm glad someone else remembers it. I too was scared of coasters back then and I'm surprised even to this day that I ever got up the courage to ride either one. I also seem to remember the wild mouse being the scarier of the two.

Re: Defunct coasters in Ocean City, MD? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 9/26/11 6:52:08 PM

> Thanks for your reply. I knew there was a wild mouse
> somewhere in OC around that time and I'm glad someone else
> remembers it. I too was scared of coasters back then and
> I'm surprised even to this day that I ever got up the
> courage to ride either one. I also seem to remember the
> wild mouse being the scarier of the two.

You're welcome! Anyway, of the coasters mentioned, the Jet 400 fascinated me the most. Whenever I went to the boardwalk on my own, I would stand there almost by the hour watching it, at the same time trying to get up the courage to go on it. It was a fun coaster to watch!
Also, going back further to the early/mid 1970's there used to be another amusement park in Ocean City called Playland, which sat off the main highway on the bay, and they had a Wild Mouse coaster called the "Monster Mouse", along with a wooden coaster called the "Hurricane". Playland closed in 1979 or 1980.
Jolly Roger Amusement Park has been home to several coasters over the years, with the earliest one I remember being the "Galassia" (Italian for "Galaxy"), which was very similar to the Zyklon and was removed around 1974/1975. Jolly Roger was "coasterless" from then, up until around the mid 1980's when they got a Schwarzkopf "Looping Star" (not the same Looping Star that's on the pier now).
Indeed, Ocean City, Maryland does have a coaster history!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Defunct coasters in Ocean City, MD? Photo Icon by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 9/26/11 7:18:22 PM

Here is a Trimper's Rides brochure from the late 1970's. As you can see, a Toboggan dominates the cover photo, with a Skydiver behind it to the right...both of which are also defunct. If you look at the lower left corner of the photo, you can see part of the Wild Mouse track. User Submitted Picture

Re: Defunct coasters in Ocean City, MD? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/27/11 2:05:07 AM

Yes, that's the mouse - I remember the white track on it now. But I don't remember the toboggan being there, even though rcdb says it wasn't removed until 2009 and your brochure is from the 70's. If it was there, either I wasn't able to get up the courage to ride it (like you, I know I stood there for quite a long time watching the "red coaster" run until I finally got up the nerve to ride it) or it was broken down that day. Seems I would have remembered something like that.