Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Roller coaster history question

Roller coaster history question

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
9/24/11 at
10:37:11 PM

I was explaining the roller coaster history and evolution to my oldest son. When I got to John Miller and his under friction wheel I explained how that technology is still used today. My oldest son asked what was the first coaster to have the under friction wheel and what park was it located at. After searching the internet extensively I still can't answer that question. Does anyone know the answer? Greyhound in Georgia is listed as John Miller's first coaster in 1915, but it doesn't mention it being the first coaster to have under friction technology. All responses will be appreciated.

Re: Roller coaster history question by jlh-photos jlh-photos Profile at 9/25/11 1:24:52 AM

Well based on the dates listed for his patent of the upstop wheel assembly in 1919, I would guess either that "Coaster" at Riverview Park in DES Moines Iowa 1920 or "Jackrabbit at Seabreeze 1920 was the first coaster to have that. And I'm basing this on the fact that The Jack Rabbit (Kennywood) and Roller Coaster (Lagoon, both built in 1921 still operating have them.

If anyone else can be for sure please chime in. Thanks and have a great day

Re: Roller coaster history question by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/25/11 10:33:16 AM

I'm not sure if Greyhound(1915) had them, but John Miller did invent the underfriction wheels in 1912, so it's not outta the question given that three year window.

Below is a rare pic of Greyhound at Lakewood.

www.atlantatimemachine.com/misc/s_h_lakewood_03.htm

Re: Roller coaster history question by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/25/11 1:34:01 PM

Jack Rabbit, Kennywood. Still running today

need VIP tickets to Cedar Point by kellibohio at 9/25/11 11:22:33 PM

I am looking for vip tickets to Cedar Point for my daughters 16th birthday. All of her friends are getting cars and having big parties. All she wants is to go to cedar for the day but I want it to be special. Does anyone know if they have VIP pass and if so, how could get them cheap? I can't disspoint yet again! Thanks

Re: need VIP tickets to Cedar Point by KHTOExtreme at 9/26/11 1:40:08 PM

kellibohio * We do not appreciate other threads being taken over. Please be respectful.

Re: Roller coaster history question by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/27/11 10:52:58 AM

I was hoping Eric would chime in. He probably knows the answers to this question.

Re: Roller coaster history question by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/27/11 2:04:28 PM

^^^If I'm not mistaken Chuck (AKA CoasterFanatic) already chimed in with the answer; Jack Rabbit at Kennywood.

Re: Roller coaster history question by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/27/11 2:29:53 PM

Sorry I missed that. Thanks for info Chuck. Kennywood's my home park and The Jack Rabbit is my favorite coaster at Kennywood. I've been riding that coaster since I was 6 years old and never knew it was the first to have that technology. I guess the answer I was looking for was only 20 minutes down the road. When one of my kids asks a question, which happens about 100 times a day, I try and answer it. This was a question that really stumped me. Thanks again guys I appreciate the info.

Re: Roller coaster history question by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/30/11 9:05:56 AM

> Sorry I missed that. Thanks for info Chuck. Kennywood's my
> home park and The Jack Rabbit is my favorite coaster at
> Kennywood. I've been riding that coaster since I was 6
> years old and never knew it was the first to have that
> technology. I guess the answer I was looking for was only
> 20 minutes down the road. When one of my kids asks a
> question, which happens about 100 times a day, I try and
> answer it. This was a question that really stumped me.
> Thanks again guys I appreciate the info.

I really envy you Frontrow :) Raising kids and riding coasters with them one day is something that I dream of doing when I get older. I don't have a ton of coaster knowledge but I can riddle of exact stats of my favorite coasters with no problem but sadly I don't have a ton of historical knowledge on them.

Interesting fact I now know though! Anyways, just wanted to say that. :)

- mugen

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Roller coaster history question by frontrow frontrow Profile at 10/1/11 1:22:39 PM

I've been very fortunate. Not only have I had the means to enjoy my passion, but I've gotten to share it with the people closest to me. Years ago my wife, or my brother would go with me. Now all 3 of kids are coaster crazy. I still make an occasional trip by myself if the drive is very long, due to my youngest son getting very impatient on a long drive. I have a blast when riding coasters, but it's a more enjoyable experience when I'm with the kids. It's awesome to see the expression on their faces when they're riding an awesome coaster for the first time. It won't be long until they're teenagers and they'll want to go off on their own. I'm hoping to get to as many parks as possible in the next few years.

Re: Roller coaster history question by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 10/1/11 1:46:43 PM

Having my now 12 year old son with as a coaster lover has been an amazing experience. To see a park or a ride through his eyes has made me love coasters even more. We already have several trips next year already planned out.