Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections

Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections

Coaster316

Posted:
9/22/11 at
8:33:17 AM

The first is to be built at Animal Kingdom in Florida.

Personally, I have no interest in this at all and my first thought when I saw the headlines was that Disney bought a ride from Kings Island*, but still thought it might be of interest to others.

- Jeff

*Yeah, I know.

Disney To Build Avatar Attractions

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/22/11 4:16:27 PM

Now, that is interesting. If Disney does this right (which I'm sure they probably will) it promises to be a breathtaking experience.

Unfortunately I for one wasn't as swept away by that movie as I had originally thought I would be (see...

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=198057

AVATAR was so successful that Cameron has postponed release of his original "next" movie BATTLE ANGEL from 2012 to 2015, in order to squeeze in two sequels to AVATAR. Interesting tidbit... a few years ago he stated that AVATAR was like "practice" for making Battle Angel.

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/22/11 4:32:20 PM

>> Unfortunately I for one wasn't as swept away by that movie
> as I had originally thought I would be (see...

> AVATAR was so successful that Cameron has postponed
> release of his original "next" movie BATTLE ANGEL
> from 2012 to 2015, in order to squeeze in two sequels to
> AVATAR. Interesting tidbit... a few years ago he stated
> that AVATAR was like "practice" for making Battle
> Angel.

Didn't see Avatar, have no real interest in seeing Avatar (Even though I am a Jim Cameron fan.) If I ever find myself in AK or any other park with an Avatar ride/attraction, I'd probably give it a whirl. Not because of any feelings toward the film, but because I'll ride anything once.

Mike

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/22/11 4:52:42 PM

> > If I ever find myself
> in AK or any other park with an Avatar ride/attraction, I'd
> probably give it a whirl. Not because of any feelings
> toward the film, but because I'll ride anything once.

Pretty much my attitude toward HP... seen all the movies but didn't read any of the books... HP ride on the agenda for our next Orlando trip in about six weeks.

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/22/11 10:24:24 PM

I have only seen parts of avatar, mainly the last half [battle scenes] and it was a pretty cool film. But I guess it was because I only saw it on a small screen and it wasn't 3d didn't make it very special. So I don't see what all the fuss was about.

But also agreed about HP, I never saw any of the films, but I thought the ride itself was pretty fun. Obviously the main draw of that section is and will always be the Dragons.

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/22/11 10:53:20 PM

Love Avatar (despite its totally unoriginal premise.) However, I don't think that Disney should be making attractions based on it. I don't know why, but I just don't think it fits very well.

Then again, Disney has the tools to make the attraction majorly awesome, so we'll see.

-Josh

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections Photo Icon by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/23/11 7:43:04 AM

> Love Avatar (despite its totally unoriginal premise.)

Then you might enjoy this (if you haven't seen it already)...

http://www.thefunnyblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/avatar_pocahontas.jpg

User Submitted Picture

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/23/11 8:32:41 AM

> > If I ever find myself
> in AK or any other park with an Avatar ride/attraction, I'd
> probably give it a whirl. Not because of any feelings
> toward the film, but because I'll ride anything once.

> Pretty much my attitude toward HP... seen all the movies
> but didn't read any of the books... HP ride on the agenda
> for our next Orlando trip in about six weeks.

I think I'd really dig FJ. I don't know how much I'd be into the other stuff at WWOHP, but I'd definitely try a butterbeer. I'm a Potter fan, but based far more on the books than the movies.

Mike

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/23/11 8:55:15 AM

> Love Avatar (despite its totally unoriginal premise.)
> However, I don't think that Disney should be making
> attractions based on it. I don't know why, but I just don't
> think it fits very well.

> Then again, Disney has the tools to make the attraction
> majorly awesome, so we'll see.

> -Josh

It was a mediocre at best story line with fantastic special effects. It had to be seen in 3D to appreciate. I'm sure the attraction will have some 3D element. I thought the movie was over-rated because the story line was SO generic but if a ride is done properly in a 3D environment, it has potential.

Jen

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/23/11 10:31:10 PM

Jeff are you attending PPP this year? We will be there staying in Danville.

Patripman

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Coaster316 at 9/26/11 10:30:22 AM

Hey. I do not expect to be at PPP again this year. There are a couple of other events in the area that will probably take my attention.

Jeff

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 9/28/11 11:37:19 PM

Yeah this announcement is bitter sweet. While it's nice to know they are finally giving AK the much needed additions, did they have to attach it to such an unwatchable movie like Avatar?

Whatever those blue things are called, would be the lamest looking creatures in movie history IF the Gungans in Star Wars didn't exist.

Who's going to give a rats patoot about Avatar when this land finally opens? Normally sequels are worse than the original as well. So Disney could have major eggg on it's face by then.

I just don't like the idea of attaching this to a "pop culture fad".

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/29/11 9:10:07 AM

> Whatever those blue things are called,

Smurfs.

> Normally sequels are worse than the original as well.

Historically Cameron films tend to be the exception: T2, Aliens

I appreciate your comments, just playing devil's advocate.
In this case I don't think the movie(s) will be the attraction, but rather the WOW factor of Disney's treatment of the alien world.

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Kevin_Page Kevin_Page Profile at 9/29/11 10:23:51 AM

> Whatever those blue things are called,

> Smurfs.

> Normally sequels are worse than the original as well.

> Historically Cameron films tend to be the exception: T2,
> Aliens

> I appreciate your comments, just playing devil's advocate.
> In this case I don't think the movie(s) will be the
> attraction, but rather the WOW factor of Disney's treatment
> of the alien world.
>

Fair point and I hope you are right. I'm greedy, I want it to be a good premise regardless of how mind blowing any of the attractions may be. Having the "Avatar" tag on it is a big "taint" for me.

Maybe it's a moot point as the shock will wear off by the time it opens.

LOL

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Tomes at 9/30/11 11:29:57 AM

WHY oh why, is there such a hatered for Avatar???

And even more bewildering to me, Why is there such hatered for Avatar-themed Disney Sections???!!!

Completely regardless of the storyline, which personally I didn't hate as much as everyone else here, the world in which they live was very picturesque and visually appealing. If Disney can pull off (and you KNOW they can because they are, let's say - financially stable) replicating sections of their parks to actually give you a feeling that you're on avatar planet, with their glow-in-the-dark neon jungles, floating islands and waterfallss etc. that would be AMAZING.

Plus, like most Disney attractions, this would be targeted for children, not for YOU all. So quit your bitchin'... :-)

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by looper77 at 9/30/11 3:11:30 PM

> Yeah this announcement is bitter sweet. While it's nice to
> know they are finally giving AK the much needed additions,
> did they have to attach it to such an unwatchable movie
> like Avatar?

> Whatever those blue things are called, would be the lamest
> looking creatures in movie history IF the Gungans in Star
> Wars didn't exist.

> Who's going to give a rats patoot about Avatar when this
> land finally opens? Normally sequels are worse than the
> original as well. So Disney could have major eggg on it's
> face by then.

> I just don't like the idea of attaching this to a "pop
> culture fad".

I agree! Unlike Universal's Harry Potter themed-section, Avatar is currently a one-hit wonder. The sequel may be better or worse, but at the moment, Avatar is already history. Harry Potter already had several successful books and films in existence before Universal built the new land.

Also, tying entire "lands" to ONE film seems like a mistake to me in the long run. I am slightly biased as I hate most film tie-ins, Alien Encounter vs. Stitch's Great Escape anyone??? What happens when the enthusiasm for the film dies as time goes on? The land becomes dated.

Even the new Cars land at DCA seems like a mistake. The Radiator Springs Racers looks great, but again a whole area devoted to one film seems like a mistake.

Disney would have been better off to build the long-awaited Beastly Kingdom....

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by looper77 at 9/30/11 3:14:09 PM

> WHY oh why, is there such a hatered for Avatar???

A topic for another discussion... LOL

> Plus, like most Disney attractions, this would be targeted
> for children, not for YOU all. So quit your bitchin'... :-)

I disagree. Disney attractions are not built for children, they are built for families, some are targeted specifically to kids, but most are designed with kids and adults in mind.

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/30/11 7:52:16 PM

Great points Looper concerning Harry Potter's longevity, and Avatar's lack of.

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Tomes at 10/2/11 2:40:38 AM

I disagree. It's targeted at kids to bring in families.
Famies that have little kids take them to Disney World. Families with all their kids older than 20 don't go to Disney. Obviously there are exceptions but u know what I mean.

ALSO, regardless of longevity, Avatar is visually appealing for kids and their parents/siblings. Harry Potter, just like Avatar, is now over, and people who like it will die too. Why is everybody so negative about it? It can be a pretty "magical" experience for the kids.

Re: Disney To Build Avatar-Themed Sections by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 10/2/11 4:18:23 PM

> I disagree. It's targeted at kids to bring in families.
> Famies that have little kids take them to Disney World.
> Families with all their kids older than 20 don't go to
> Disney. Obviously there are exceptions but u know what I
> mean.

There are multiple rides and attractions at Disney that are not directed at kids. They are mostly all suitable for kids, but not necessarily targeted at them. At epcot, most children can't stand the international showcase because it's more of an adult experience (plenty of exceptions, I know.) World culture is not something a lot of kids look forward to. The informative film about the romance of France comes to mind. Dinosaurs at AK is geared towards mainly teens as well. Little kids would be easily scared by the dinos. Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster are rides not directed at kids at all. So just because it's Disney doesn't mean it's just for kids.

Avatar is not a movie that was made for kids, and many kids that are "Disney-age" probably didn't see it due to pg-13 rating. Not that many parents really adhere to that anymore, but still. It's not directed at children, but it will be enjoyed by children, I have no doubt. I am pretty sure that if this is a multi-attraction deal, there will be parts geared towards the young'ns and parts geared towards adults, but Avatar in general is not a kids movie.

> Why is everybody so negative about it? It can be a
> pretty "magical" experience for the kids.

What is so negative to you? It's discussion. People are allowed to not like a movie. And people are allowed to think this isn't a WONDERFUL thing for Disney to do. Believe it or not, Disney is not perfect. I will not deny that Disney has the tools to make this a fantastic project, however no one can, until it's built and opened, form a true opinion of the attraction(s) itself. It's all speculation.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.