Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf?

What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf?

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
9/18/11 at
1:30:25 AM

This thread is pretty self explanatory; What's your favorite half of the BBW, the action after the first lift hill (flight thru the scenic Bavarian Village and the helices over the lowered terrain) or the action after the second lift hill (the big drop and sweeping turn over the Rhine River, and the other positive-G turns towards the station)? Here are my thoughts on this.

I'm gonna go with the underdog, and kinda go against the grain, and pick the action after the first lift hill as my favorite, and here's why. The track design of the near miss Bavarian Village flythough/ terrain helices where efficent, and flawless; Can't say that about what happened after the second lift hill, Rhine River drop and heavy positive-G turns which more than likely lead to the demise of BBW due to those overwhelming forces. Another reason why I like the first over the second is simply because the second was too short IMO; After the river drop, a coupla positive-G turns then you're at the station in no time. Don't get me wrong, I love the action after the second lift hill (higher drop, positive-G's, more screams, and faster action than first), and BBW as a whole, but the first had longer ride time than the second, it's was more efficently designed than the second, less complaints of roughness than the second, It seems to me that the first was simply the better half. Feel free to chime in.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/20/11 7:33:26 AM

First half.
Loved those swoops "up the walls" and in and around the arches, etc.
I was always looking to see new things, things I had missed in previous rides, which was affected by which side of the train I was on, which row, etc.
Kinda like riding the BTMRs at Disney: always something new to see.

Mike B.

BBW Rulz~now in my memories ;( by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 9/20/11 4:53:03 PM

Me? I loved the whole ding-danged darn thing and just HATE that it is no more :(

*major sad face*

I'm sooo glad that we re-rode BBW as many times as park closing time would allow, never leaving our seat to re-enter the Q.

Ahhh, the memories.

Seriously, I loved every aspect of that wonderful bygone coaster. I still can't believe it's gone...

~MommaBeast

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by looper77 at 9/20/11 6:09:54 PM

To me, the two halves are the ying and yang of the BBW. I like that the coaster started out somewhat mild but ends with a fast and furious finish. Most coasters do the opposite.

But if I had to choose, I would say the second half, only because I eagerly awaited the climb to the second lift hill and the intensity that was to follow.

I really liked what they tried to do with this coaster in terms of theming. If I had one little bone to nitpick about, I would say that the Bavarian village felt sort of incomplete, especially the straight-away before the helix. They should have had buildings on both sides of the tracks. A minor pet peeve on a great coaster, but something I always thought about while riding through that section.

I also liked the secluded feeling of the coaster and I am surprised at the number of trees that I've seen being torn down for the new coaster. I hope the new coaster is as fun as the BBW was, but I will always miss it. To me the Big Bad Wolf was as synonymous with BGW as the Loch Ness Monster.

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/20/11 10:40:31 PM

Well said, Looper. I like your opinion.

I have to vote for the second "half." It's not really half in terms of length, but I love the intensity. I just hate the fact it had trims on the drop.

First Eagles Fortress, then BBW. I'll hate to see Ninja or Flight Deck take down a similar dark path.

- Pat-O

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by looper77 at 9/20/11 10:59:01 PM

Thanks LoneStar.

I noticed you didn't mention Iron Dragon. LOL

I love suspended coasters. They may have fallen by the wayside, especially after the debut of Batman the Ride at SFGA almost 20 years ago, but to me, they are fun rides that provide a unique experience.

I think it was seeing The Bat at Kings Island as a teenager and arriving only to find that it was down, and eventually never to operate again that had me fascinated with this type of coaster. Watching the trains parked on the lifts, with no sign of life in The Bat was pure torture.

We can also give a dishonorable mention to X-LR8, another gone and forgotten suspended coaster. As lame as it was, I am still disappointed that I only got to ride it twice and that Six Flags did not give it a new home.

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/20/11 11:01:06 PM

I agree, with you looper. I'm only basing my opinion of Ninja from what I see on the posted youtube vids, but If that was BBW's first half, the whole ride would've been totally amazing. THat's not to say I didn't like the 1st half of BBW, but it just seemed too short imo. THe 2nd half just can't be replicated, the plunge and then the swinging over the river on the way back to the station... just unforgettable!

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/20/11 11:01:13 PM

> Well said, Looper. I like your opinion.

> I have to vote for the second "half." It's not
> really half in terms of length, but I love the intensity. I
> just hate the fact it had trims on the drop.

> First Eagles Fortress, then BBW. I'll hate to see Ninja or
> Flight Deck take down a similar dark path.

> - Pat-O

The Vortex at Canadas Wonderland is also still in operation. As much as I loved BBW, The Vortex is my favorite suspended coaster. XLR-8 was probably my least favorite, but it's still a shame that it's gone.

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/11 7:42:28 AM

> THat's not to say I didn't like the 1st
> half of BBW, but it just seemed too short imo.

BBW's first half, the time from the drop (apex) of the 50 ft first lift hill to the brakes before the right turn & second lift hill is about 27 seconds.

BBW's second half, the time from the drop (apex) of the 100 ft drop second lift hill (twice as much as the first lift BTW) to the station brakes is about 20 seconds. It's not even close as to which half has the more efficent run.

I can't think of a coaster with a 100 ft lift hill drop that has a shorter track length after it. Most coasters would atleast have a 2000-3000ft track length after a 100ft lift hill drop.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/11 11:49:31 AM

I couldn't tell you what half I liked better, since the last time I rode it was in 1989 but I can remember that I LOVED it. I was there with my best friend at the time and her mom and we went right too it when the park opened. I loved going through the trees and over the river - the scenery was spectacular. We actually rode it 4 or 5 times that day (had a re-ride front row without getting off for the first ride) and I remember it was such a fun ride. I was so disappointed that it was closing and I couldn't get back there to ride it one last time...

Jen

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/21/11 2:50:35 PM

> BBW's first half, the time from the drop (apex) of the 50
> ft first lift hill to the brakes before the right turn
> & second lift hill is about 27 seconds.

> BBW's second half, the time from the drop (apex) of the 100
> ft drop second lift hill (twice as much as the first lift
> BTW) to the station brakes is about 20 seconds. It's not
> even close as to which half has the more efficent run.

> I can't think of a coaster with a 100 ft lift hill drop
> that has a shorter track length after it. Most coasters
> would atleast have a 2000-3000ft track length after a 100ft
> lift hill drop.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

THat is true, I guess for me, the big drop was 'enough' to just make that part of the ride a bit more of a thrill than the first half. It's just pretty remarkable the thrill of almost hitting the river and then the swinging over it. If not for that [heading for the ground and swinging over more ground for the 2nd half], then yeah it wouldn't have been quite as nice.

Basically, it used it's surroundings very well. In another park, it would've been underwhelming imo.

Re: What was Your Favorite Half of Bid Bad Wolf? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 9/21/11 7:24:23 PM

I remember my first ride on Big Bad Wolf was on Labor Day weekend 1987 when visiting BGW with my dad. My dad claimed it was a little "rough" for him and he liked the Loch Ness Monster better. My last ride on Big Bad Wolf was in March 2002, which I believe was the opening weekend. As for my favorite half, that's a tough call. I liked the theming on the first half, and I also liked the big drop over the river. I also liked the announcement as the train was dispatched from the station..."Hope you enjoy traveling at the speed of fright!"!