Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Verbolten announced at BGW

Verbolten announced at BGW

CoAsTeRDaN

Posted:
9/17/11 at
10:57:15 PM

Today I was at the Festhaus at BGW to learn about the new coaster coming to the park next year. Verbolten is the name. Some questions were asked during a quick Q & A session after the name was announced, here is what info was asked and answered. The coaster will have two launches at around 50 mph each. It will run a total of 5 trains, 16 people per train, 2 per car. Lapbar restraints. The park will announce more info as the year goes on.

Danny

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by drachen drachen Profile at 9/18/11 12:00:41 AM

As I said in the 'New for 2012' thread, this ride looks like it could be the best overall new ride next year.

I'm very intrigued by the ride length (time) the special effects building, the fact the BGW is not releasing all of the details, the theming, and the 88 foot drop off of a covered bridge toward the Rhine River finale.

I may need to pay BGW a visit next spring.

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by alpengeistno3 at 9/18/11 12:22:39 AM

Most talked about, yes. Best? I have my doubts with the 48" height limit and 50 mph launches. Sounds like Busch is going the "family" route here (frankly, IMHO, BBW was a over-hyped family ride, so it is the perfect replacement.)

It will be an interesting ride seeing how little we have seen from the designer, but I think getting hyped about this from a "thrill-ride" perspective will lead to a huge anticipointment.

Paul

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by drachen drachen Profile at 9/18/11 12:32:47 AM

> Most talked about, yes. Best? I have my doubts with the
> 48" height limit and 50 mph launches. Sounds like
> Busch is going the "family" route here (frankly,
> IMHO, BBW was a over-hyped family ride, so it is the
> perfect replacement.)

> It will be an interesting ride seeing how little we have
> seen from the designer, but I think getting hyped about
> this from a "thrill-ride" perspective will lead
> to a huge anticipointment.

When I say best, I'm referring to 'funnest'. I realize this may not be the most thrilling ride of them all next year, but it sure looks and sounds like a lot of fun, which is more important to me.

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/18/11 1:32:18 AM

A launch coaster in the same park as Griffon?! YAY! I realize it's not 128 mph but I agree with Drachen - I think it will be fun! Now, lets see when it opens. If it's anything like Mach Tower it should be open by 2013 LOL.

Jen

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by CoAsTeRDaN at 9/18/11 8:56:47 AM

The park did say it was going for a family type experience, that is why they have only a 48 inch height requirement. During the announcement Larry Giles (the parks VP of enginering) said that the thrill factor won't be much more than the Big Bad Wolf was. The park wants this to be your childs first (adult) roller coaster.
They know they lacked a coaster for the family once the BBW was removed, and I think this coaster could make everyone happy. The capacity should be wonderful with five trains. I think it will still be thrilling enough for anyone with multiple launches and no inversions meant no over the shoulder restraints.
With Cheetah Hunt in FL, they have one inversion so they felt it needed over the shoulder restraints. They also said that a lot of times with kids, anything with an inversion could be the childs limit and say "no" I am not riding. So they wanted something with out them. Personally, I am fine with that too, not every steel coaster needs to go upside down to be good. As a matter of fact, most of my top 10 steel are ones without! (hypers and such).
Anyway, my point being, BGW is going for this type of ride on purpose and the parks needs that, its a very smart move.
Danny

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/18/11 10:12:51 AM

So basically, I'm expecting a glorifed Backlot Stunt coaster, without the 'parking lot feel'. I was first under the impression that it was gonna be more like an 'inversionless' Cheetah Hunt, but oh well. I'll be the first to lead the 'Bring back the Wolf!!!' chants. JK, I gotta atleast give it a chance, although I'd be pretty surprised if it's anything as scenic & thrilling as the Wolf was .

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/18/11 10:12:51 AM

Double post.

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by CoAsTeRDaN at 9/18/11 10:35:11 AM

I found this on another webpage,

"From the moment you approach the new roller coaster, you’ll feel a sense of mystery and fun.
A German tourist center serves as the ride entrance and as the launching point for an autobahn touring
experience that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

As you climb into your car for a scenic drive through the countryside, you’re quickly detoured into
a harrowing family adventure filled with pulse-pounding excitement through the forbidden Black Forest.
You’ll twist and turn your way through this epic adventure, plunging along the river’s edge.

Luckily, your breathtaking ride leads you right back to the fun and the festivities of Oktoberfest.

RIDE MANUFACTURER: Zierer (Deggendorf, Germany)
TYPE OF RIDE: Multi-launch coaster
SPECIAL FEATURES: Two launches, environmental theme elements, sound and light effects, high speed turns and an 88-foot final drop to the water
TRACK LENGTH: 2,835 feet
MAXIMUM SPEED: 53 mph
RIDE DURATION: 3 minutes, 25 seconds
SEATS/TRAIN: 5 trains, 16 seats per train
RIDE HEIGHT REQUIREMENT: 48 inches

- Verbolten Fact Sheet"

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by looper77 at 9/18/11 3:02:19 PM

> When I say best, I'm referring to 'funnest'. I realize this
> may not be the most thrilling ride of them all next year,
> but it sure looks and sounds like a lot of fun, which is
> more important to me.

I agree. This ride does look fun. I don't think a coaster needs to be 300 feet tall, have airtime, or go 100 mph in order to be fun. But to each his or her own.

My only disappointment comes from that this ride had to come with the demise of the Big Bad Wolf. A ride I would hardly call over-hyped. Also, I wish this were being built by a different manufacturer, but hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise. I am intrigued by what will happen in the show building. I don't think Busch Gardens does anything half-@ssed, so I don't see this as Italian Job Part II.

This is a perfect addition for a Busch park, which in my opinion surpasses many a Disney park. I still hold a glimmer of hope that one day, BGW will have a wooden coaster.

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by alpengeistno3 at 9/18/11 7:32:43 PM

The capacity should be wonderful with five trains.

But the question is, will Busch be willing to run them to cut down on the impending hour long wait on Tuesdays in June? I used to say absolutely, but lately, that has not always been the case around there.

I
> think it will still be thrilling enough for anyone with
> multiple launches and no inversions meant no over the
> shoulder restraints.
> With Cheetah Hunt in FL, they have one inversion so they
> felt it needed over the shoulder restraints. They also said
> that a lot of times with kids, anything with an inversion
> could be the childs limit and say "no" I am not
> riding. So they wanted something with out them. Personally,
> I am fine with that too, not every steel coaster needs to
> go upside down to be good.

I'm fine with Verbolten being whatever it is. Whether it is a glorified kiddie ride, or even something as unique as Space Mountain at Disney. I just don't think it will be anywhere near "the best" ride of 2012 or even 3rd best in the park. It will be a nice addition, but getting hyped over this is going to get people with a "Dark Knight" experience in Williamsburg. (it will never be THAT bad, but compared to Busch's other coasters, that is about where we are heading.)

> Anyway, my point being, BGW is going for this type of ride
> on purpose and the parks needs that, its a very smart move.

Agreed. As much as I would have liked to see "Big Bad Drachen Flyer" break the inversion record or something like that, Busch needed another family coaster. Grover wasn't cutting it.

Paul

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/19/11 2:50:55 AM

I was looking at the Verbolten teaser vid, and it clearly shows a car drifting/swerving over the road after entering the "forbidden Black Forest". I'm a big fan of RCT3, although I haven't played it in a while; I know that I might sound a lil' kiddyish, but one type of coaster on RCT3 is called a 'Drifting coaster'; It has a similiar swaying action as that car on the Verbolten teaser. Busch Gardens did speak on an unique ride, so could this (Drifting coaster) be a similiar style of coaster that Verbolten is gonna be? If so, then my impressions of V-bolt has dramatically changed from my negative "Backlot Stunt coaster without the parking lot feel" take, to something that's unique and worthwhile.

The first link is a RCT3 vid (not my vid) showing a Drifting coaster POV; The second link is the Verbolten teaser vid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cluwQhe-3Nk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVi3Az8ahcw&feature=player_embed

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by alpengeistno3 at 9/19/11 8:45:15 PM

A nice idea, but I am pretty sure your drifting coaster is way more "intense" than what Busch is aiming for. Remember...family ride :)

Paul

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by pyl-driver pyl-driver Profile at 9/19/11 8:55:31 PM

Verbolten looks like it will be very fun. Probably not the most thrilling or extreme 2012 coaster of the bunch, but it may be the best. I kind of like that theres a big secret in the building and theres no video showing a ride through like every other new coaster. The first time you all ride this will be a surprise ride unlike the ones you watched. Don't think it will drift like the video because of the fact it will seat 16. I was waiting for all the announcements to decide over going to Hershey vs. BGW vs. BGT. I will be making a BGW/KD trip in July, can't wait!

My Knew most anticipated 2012 top 5.....(change my mind a lot)
1.Verbolten
2.X-Flight/Wild Eagle
3.Skyrush
4.Leviathon
5.Lex Luther dod

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/20/11 4:37:31 AM

I still find it kinda weird that the Verbolten clip shows a drifting car on it. That train configuration does make it highly unlikely that Verbolten will drift; Five cars drifting inside one train, Nah. I'm kinda interested to know what's gonna happen inside the 'mysterious event building', but the 'weather events' seems pretty obvious (rainfall). URC Nation, please excuse my rather embarrassing disasterous earlier post. Facepalming myself, SMH. LOL

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/20/11 6:02:31 AM

As much flak as wiki get from people, they sure do put out alotta ACCURATE infomation; They say that V-bolt is gonna be an 'Elevated Seating Coaster' from Zierer, definitely a NON-drifter. LOL. IMO there doesn't seem to be anything special about being seated just a lil' bit above the track; Not exactly too 'elevated'.

www.zierer.com/en/mainmenu/products/coasters/elevated-seating-coaster/

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/20/11 9:33:40 AM

^^^
I wouldn't even call those elevated - the B&M hypers have more elevation than that! But the seating definitely looks more comfortable than your standard box cars.

Jen

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by looper77 at 10/10/11 2:00:38 PM

I've seen pics online of what we can expect in the show building... a Thirteen-type drop. This must have been a well-kept secret. I don't remember anybody talking about this before.

Has anyone ridden Thirteen? Is the drop really that much of a big deal? It would seem like once you have experienced it, the drop would no longer be a surprise. I think it would be great to have two alternative tracks, one that continues after the drop or one that passes through the drop zone. That way you would never know which one you would get.

Verbolten "surprise"

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/10/11 2:56:35 PM

Yeah, I read that link from screamscape.
Maybe they should have named Verbolten Fourteen.

> I think it
> would be great to have two alternative tracks, one that
> continues after the drop or one that passes through the
> drop zone. That way you would never know which one you
> would get.

I would be pissed if I traveled all the way to BGW just to ride a "tame-version" Verbolten twice by the luck of the draw. I don't think that would go over so well with the GP.

Re: Verbolten announced at BGW by looper77 at 10/10/11 4:46:44 PM

> Yeah, I read that link from screamscape.
> Maybe they should have named Verbolten Fourteen.

LOL! That's a good one!

> I think it
> would be great to have two alternative tracks, one that
> continues after the drop or one that passes through the
> drop zone. That way you would never know which one you
> would get.

> I would be pissed if I traveled all the way to BGW just to
> ride a "tame-version" Verbolten twice by the luck
> of the draw. I don't think that would go over so well with
> the GP.

Yeah, that would certainly be my luck to always get the tame version.