Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coaters Just for the Count?

Coaters Just for the Count?

KevinReid KevinReid Profile

Posted:
9/15/11 at
12:06:09 PM

From the obvious kiddie coasters that you just do once for the count/credit are there any other coasters or coaster types that you just do for the Count?

For me it is the Boomerang Coasters. I do them once. I think in the 10 years visting Canada's Wonderland I probably only rode The Bat less than 10 times. Why? I hate going upside down backwards. But, I did enjoy Speed the Ride while visting Las Vegas in 2009.

So how about you which ones just for the count and why?

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 9/15/11 12:07:59 PM

Gee I leave the Coaster world and I forget how to spell it. LOL!

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by squirrels at 9/15/11 12:56:17 PM

Like, total number of coasters ridden, or total number of overall rides?

I'll try anything once. There are some coasters I'm not too big a fan of, though. For example, I do not typically enjoy Wild Mouse coasters...if I ride them, it's because others in my group are riding them.

I personally like "boomerang" coasters and would ride them for fun, not for count. I think I would like an "invertigo" model better than a standard boomerang, though, because a cobra-roll feels much more deliberate on an inverted coaster...on a traditional sit-down, it feels a little "vague".

At one time, I was pricing out how much it would cost to put a Boomerang in my back yard, in case I ever hit the lottery. :)

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/15/11 1:08:28 PM

I keep track of my number, but it's not the be-all/end-all. I ride coasters because I enjoy most of them, and I won't know if I enjoy one until I ride it. But I'll ride any coaster once. And I don't keep track of my total rides on a given coaster, except on a daily basis...i.e, the # of times I ride a specific coaster on one park visit. My number pales in comparison to some on here, but the number itself is not that important to me. I couldn't even tell you what my "milestone" rides were...I know TTD was one of them.

Mike

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/15/11 1:23:44 PM

I won't ride kiddie coasters. I think it's ridiculous for adults to ride them for a "credit". There is of course the one time I was forced on Blackbeard at SFGAdv at gunpoint by Paul and Mike G. (I know there will be an "it's not a kiddie coaster" reply by one of them :~). Yes it is LOL.

I'll ride anything once but if I hate it, chances are I won't ride it again. The only exceptions to that rule would be a clone at another park. For example, I loathe Superman: UF and I know there are other SF parks that have the same ride and I wouldn't ride it for a credit. I will give some coasters a second chance but if I still hate them after the second ride, they're done.

I don't keep count of how many ride on a coaster, only the total number of coasters I've ridden using coastercounter.com.

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/15/11 1:41:14 PM

A Kevin Reid spotting!!

I ride SCLs wherever I go to get the credit, usually to my regret. Some aren't too bad, others are awful.

I will ride kiddies coasters for credit - a coaster is a coaster is a coaster. And some of them I really enjoy - Serpent as Astroworld, Vekoma Juniors, some mini mine trains.

It's weird here in Texas that 200 miles from each other we have 2 boomeranges, 2 identical gerstlauer spinners, and 3 B:TRs. I end up repeating several coasters every year.

- Pat-O

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/15/11 2:34:07 PM

>> I will ride kiddies coasters for credit - a coaster is a
> coaster is a coaster.

> - Pat-O

I sure hope Dr. Quinlan sees this post, Pat-O. :)

Mike

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/15/11 2:48:50 PM

> > I will ride kiddies coasters for credit - a coaster is
> a
> coaster is a coaster.

> - Pat-O

> I sure hope Dr. Quinlan sees this post, Pat-O. :)

> Mike

It does not change my opinion on the subject LOL.

Do women do this or is it primarily a male phenomenon? Ladies?

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/15/11 2:57:07 PM

> Do women do this or is it primarily a male phenomenon?
> Ladies?

> Jen

Judy's ridden kiddie coasters, but I don't know if she's ever snagged a "younger man" to ride with her and keep her safe.

Mike

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/15/11 3:26:37 PM

There is of
> course the one time I was forced on Blackbeard at SFGAdv at
> gunpoint by Paul and Mike G. (I know there will be an
> "it's not a kiddie coaster" reply by one of them

Nah. Beating a dead horse is not something I would do when a veterinarian is involved. Paul, I don't know.

Michael

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/15/11 3:34:52 PM

> There is of

> Nah. Beating a dead horse is not something I would do when
> a veterinarian is involved. Paul, I don't know.

> Michael

LMAO! I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian. I don't do equine medicine so beat away. :~)

Jen

p.s. the above is a joke and I do not condone the beating or abuse of any animal for those that take things too seriously...

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by CarolH at 9/15/11 4:51:00 PM

I thought "coaters" might be the Canadian spelling. :)

As for riding for the count, I will ride anything once (for the count)even kiddie coasters. The exception is powered coasters, for me it's gotta coast to count.

Carol

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/15/11 5:02:31 PM

Honestly, Kiddy coasters of the exact type ive ridden before. I just click the check column. I seen no reason to act like a idiot being the only single adult in line. If its unique and Im allowed to ride. I do so. I like Boomerangs and two that surprised me as surprisingly good were at Wild Adventure GA and Darien Lake.

I'll never pass up a wooden coaster of any type, Clone or not. They are always different in some way.

If Id say just for the credit. Probably a B&M speed coaster, To me, the most boring BIG RIDE on the planet.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/15/11 5:48:39 PM

> I won't ride kiddie coasters. I think it's ridiculous for
> adults to ride them for a "credit".

Another pathetic thing that some people do is count relocated coasters as double credits; Dominator at Geauga, 1 credit, Dominator at KD, 1 credit. LOL. Most people who pull that off already have very impressive coaster counts anyway. I'm still perplexed with the logic with the whole "racing coasters are one credit"; Why, just because they are close together, and they are named the same thing? I guess that the Petronas Towers in Malaysia consists of just ONE building, not two; You have ONE speaker connected to your computer, not two or three; The Renaissance Center in Detroit has ONE building and not seven. WTF??? LMAO! To each it's own.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/15/11 6:02:10 PM

> Another pathetic thing that some people do is count
> relocated coasters as double credits; Dominator at Geauga,
> 1 credit, Dominator at KD, 1 credit. LOL. Most people who
> pull that off already have very impressive coaster counts
> anyway. I'm still perplexed with the logic with the whole
> "racing coasters are one credit"; Why, just
> because they are close together, and they are named the
> same thing? I guess that the Petronas Towers in Malaysia
> consists of just ONE building, not two; You have ONE
> speaker connected to your computer, not two or three; The
> Renaissance Center in Detroit has ONE building and not
> five. WTF??? LMAO! To each it's own.

LOL! That is bad if it's in the exact same configuration as before. I use coastercounter.com to keep track of how many I've ridden and they list each track on racing woodies as separate. Some truly are, like Rolling Thunder, where the tracks are vastly different.

As you said, to each his own :~)

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/15/11 6:15:07 PM

I agree with Jen on this one.I think it is silly for an adult to go on a kiddie coaster for a credit! I don't even think parks should count kiddie coasters as part of there coaster count.One of the questions I asked before on this site was "What Park truly is The Coaster Capital based on just adult coasters"? Is it still Cedar Point?

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/15/11 6:21:37 PM

> five. WTF??? LMAO! To each it's own.

> LOL! That is bad if it's in the exact same configuration as
> before. I use coastercounter.com to keep track of how many
> I've ridden and they list each track on racing woodies as
> separate. Some truly are, like Rolling Thunder, where the
> tracks are vastly different.

> As you said, to each his own :~)

> Jen

I only count racers as 2 if they have significantly different layouts, or if when I rode them one faces forward and one backwards, which yields different experiences. The only reason I see it necessary to re-count relocated coasters is because to me, atmosphere, theme, and location make a difference to me in ride experience.

The way people count coasters will be one of those forever debates.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/15/11 6:26:30 PM

Hey Jen - I am working at the Texas Veterinarian Association convention next month. We have Cutco booth there. I hope yall animal doctors like knives.

Go Rangers!!

- Pat-O

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/15/11 6:30:40 PM

Here's a thought - I'm counting my recent ride on the Texas Gian as a new coaster. It's a different track, different layout, different trains.

What do yall think?

- Pat-O

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by drachen drachen Profile at 9/15/11 6:33:51 PM

I'm formulating in my mind a thread of a similar topic, but I don't know quite how to present my thoughts yet.

I think we all are interested in riding as many roller coasters as we can, which, unfortunately, is represented by a number. I track the coasters I ride in greater detail than most, but I'm much more interested in the quality of the rides than the quantity. Again, thoughts for another thread perhaps.

Regarding the topic at hand...

The count (or "credit" - a term I'll never use) means little to me.

I do not ride kiddie coasters, so I don't ride them even once for the count.

Regarding the larger production model coasters like boomerangs, SLC's, GIB's, and the Batmen. I will ride every one I find at least once.

But, it's not necessarily to increase my number, but to just to say that I've ridden them. That may be splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

I'm interested in seeing how they are operating, and how they are maintained from park to park and from year to year.

I even ride them because I do find them fun. (Of course the Batmen are fun, but I'm referring to the Vekoma rides at this point.) They're not bad rides. If they were truly bad rides for their price, we wouldn't see so many of them.

If they are at a park that I've never been to, the priority is with the more unique rides. If I run out of time to ride a boomerang or SLC, so be it. It's happened a few times.

So I guess that was a long way to say that I don't ride anything for the count.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/15/11 6:39:35 PM

> The way people count coasters will be one of those forever
> debates.

You're right about that. We'll agree to disagree, which is just fine. LOL. The only racer that I'll count as one (when riding both sides) is a mobius coaster. Hell, coastercounter don't allow you to count a mobius as two anyway, which is understandable.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/15/11 7:08:49 PM

Double post

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/15/11 8:22:25 PM

It usually takes multiple visits to a park in order for me to ride all the coasters at a major theme park. I try and chase the top rated coasters in the country and try to ride those signature coasters as many times as I can. If there is a long line for a wild mouse or boomerang, or indoor coaster, or a mine ride, or any coaster that just doesn't look that great, I usually opt for more rides on their signature coaster during my first. I will ride all the wooden coasters, no matter how small, and I'll ride both sides of racing coasters. When I revisit that same park that's when I start adding coasters for credit like the ones I mentioned above. With all the parks I've been to I've probably passed up 30 to 40 credits if not more. This gives me a reason to return to a park, even if they haven't installed anything new. My coaster count is 250, but what's more important is that I have ridden most of the top rated steel and wooden coasters in the country and I have multiple rides on them.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by alpengeistno3 at 9/15/11 8:23:34 PM

Me? I like coasters, regardless of any thoughts I have about their quality. I hate Dark Knight, but I am disappointed that I didn't get one ride on it this year when I went to Gradv. If for no other reason than to see what else is not working.

I will take a courtesy ride on JUNIOR coasters, (JEN!!). The kiddie coasters, I could do without the drama of stalking kids for a ride (I see kids all day at work, don't need any when I am having fun at a park :)

Paul

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by alpengeistno3 at 9/15/11 8:32:58 PM

> seven. WTF??? LMAO! To each it's own.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

I've ridden Dominator at Geauga and KD the atmosphere surrounding the ride from location to ride ops to the ride itself do not feel at all identical. Same goes for Green Lantern/Chang at Gradv/KK.

On the flip side, the North side/South side of Rebel Yell feel absolutely identical to me. I see no reason to count them as separate rides (even when one side was flipped around backwards.) Twisted Twins at KK is the only dual track woodie that I felt the tracks counted as separate credits.

Paul

PS
Your building analogy is great...IF ANYONE HERE ACTUALLY CARED TO COUNT THE BUILDINGS THEY HAVE VISITED!!!!!!!

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/15/11 9:33:47 PM

> adults to ride them for a "credit". There is of
> :~). Yes it is LOL.

> I'll ride anything once but if I hate it, chances are I
> won't ride it again. The only exceptions to that rule would
> be a clone at another park. For example, I loathe Superman:
> UF and I know there are other SF parks that have the same
> ride and I wouldn't ride it for a credit. I will give some
> coasters a second chance but if I still hate them after the
> second ride, they're done.

> I don't keep count of how many ride on a coaster, only the
> total number of coasters I've ridden using
> coastercounter.com.

> Jen

>

I agree, I pass on the kiddie rides. I'll will ride some junior coasters if I see adults on it, but I don't think I can live with the 'shame' of being the only adult on the coaster. Not worth it just for the count.

On the clones, if it is at a park where they have very few coasters, then I probably will still ride it even if I didn't like its 'cousin' at another park.

I've lost count. All I know is I've covered most of the major ones in Florida, New Jersey [minus Morey's piers] and Virginia. And I'm very satisfied with that collection.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/16/11 5:04:21 AM

I guess that when it comes to coastercounts, I'm VERY literal. If one coaster has been relocated all over the world, it's still the same coaster, just like the Stanley Cup has been all over the world, but it's still the same trophy. I don't care how many varying atmospheres that it's been at, the arid deserts of the Sahara, the Amazon Rainforest, indoors in the MOA, or the bustling metropolis of Tokyo, it's still the same exact coaster. Facsimiles (like the S:UF flyers) are different coasters because they aren't the same coaster, just like another car with the same color, year, make, and model as yours isn't your car. For me, a coaster count consists of a train departing the station, and returning to the same station; I dont care if fifteen coasters that are all nearby with the same exact layout, then each one is it's own coaster.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/16/11 8:41:39 AM

I'm with Paul. Different location, different scenery, different colors, different theming (when applicable,)different overall vibe = Different ride for me.

When I ride Green Lantern, I don't feel like I'm riding Chang. When I rode the Bobsleds at Great Escape a couple months back, I didn't feel like I was riding the old Sarajevo Bobsled at GAdv.

Mike

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Coaster3.16 at 9/16/11 10:34:19 AM

I once met someone who claimed that since Vekoma Boomerangs are all the same and he rode 1 of them, he counted them all as if he had ridden them. He wasn't kidding.

- Jeff

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/16/11 10:36:37 AM

> I once met someone who claimed that since Vekoma Boomerangs
> are all the same and he rode 1 of them, he counted them all
> as if he had ridden them. He wasn't kidding.

> - Jeff
>
Of course he wasn't kidding. He's a coaster enthusiast.

Mike

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/16/11 10:38:42 AM

> Hey Jen - I am working at the Texas Veterinarian
> Association convention next month. We have Cutco booth
> there. I hope yall animal doctors like knives.

> Go Rangers!!

> - Pat-O

LOL - I have a feeling that booth is geared for the large/food animal vets. It's funny b/c in school it never ceased to amaze me the quality of the knives those students had for necropsy (equivalent to autopsy in humans). In small animal we use scalpels but that doesn't exactly work on a 1200 lb heifer!

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/16/11 10:47:48 AM

> Here's a thought - I'm counting my recent ride on the Texas
> Gian as a new coaster. It's a different track, different
> layout, different trains.

> What do yall think?

> - Pat-O

Hmmm... Interesting question. Same name, same location, seriously modified coaster. I think I would have to agree that they are different and can be counted as such. I just checked coastercounter and they have them as separate too - the Texas Giant and the New Texas Giant.

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/16/11 11:09:08 AM

I wonder how many URCers count carny/non-stationary coasters as credits? Not me. Hell, some of you probalby would count double and triple credits as the fair goes from county to nearby county, because of the 'dramatic changes in scenery'. LMAO.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/16/11 11:41:54 AM

> I wonder how many URCers count carny/non-stationary
> coasters as credits? Not me. Hell, some of you probalby
> would count double and triple credits as the fair goes from
> county to nearby county, because of the 'dramatic changes
> in scenery'. LMAO.

LOL! - Not me either!

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/16/11 2:34:04 PM

> in scenery'. LMAO.

I never get to go on those types of coasters, so none are included in my number. I don't think I would include them anyway. Half of them probably don't even have names!

Mike

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by alpengeistno3 at 9/16/11 8:44:25 PM

> in scenery'. LMAO.

> I never get to go on those types of coasters, so none are
> included in my number. I don't think I would include them
> anyway. Half of them probably don't even have names!

> Mike

Agreed. Plus one parking lot to another doesn't "really" equal a change of scenery.

Paul

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/16/11 9:28:05 PM

> in scenery'. LMAO.

Lol, not me either. Heck, haven't been to any carnies in years. I also agree with your other point about clones [which means shamelessly, the primeval whirls at Disney's animal Kingdom is 2 and Rebel yell, I count both sides despite them being mirrors of each other] counting as individuals and about if a ride has been moved from another place that it is the same ride and doesn't count again.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/16/11 10:08:43 PM

^^^Amen, thank you Phil. About time someone fully agrees with me concerning counts. I really was pretty surprised on how many people count relocated coasters; I thought that it would only be a very few who count em', but in reality it seems like there's a majority on URC from the thread posts. No offense to anyone (mainly for using words like pathetic). What is pathetic is what that person that Jeff had mentioned did, counting Vekoma Boomerangs that he's never ridden before; Talk about padding a count, why not add all of the Wacky Worms and Vekoma Skaters that he hasn't ridden too; Man, that count would easily go into the thousands. SMH, LOL.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/16/11 10:37:26 PM

I would count carny coasters like the big Schwarzkopf traveling coasters or the like in Germany. Only once, as they are made to be moved all over, and nothing, not the name, not even the lighting, changes.

Haven't been outside the U.S. in my life though, so none of those are in my list yet. And the closest thing to a coaster I've been on at a fair here in the U.S., were the little dragon coasters when I was 5 or so. Don't count them.

I'll admit that you have sound logic, but it's more of an opinion thing (which is fine. We already agreed to disagree. lol)

Here's an argument that could be raised against the racers-are-two-coasters stance (remember I have my feet in both camps on this one). Another reason most racers could be considered one ride is because they share a common structure. This is more for coasters like Gemini that are side-by-side parallel nearly the entire time, and not ones that split off like Racer at KI. If you are driving down a highway and cross a bridge, would you count it as a different bridge if you were in the other lane? Or just driving down the road in general, would you count the other lane as a different road?

Just something I thought of.

-Josh

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/17/11 2:05:24 AM

Coasters I just do for the count would include those that I know will likely be ones that I won't care for (due to roughness and headbanging), like SLCs, boomerangs and Arrow loopers. These are pretty low down on my priority list if I'm new to a park, and if I think I might have trouble getting to ride everything I want due to the park being crowded, sometimes I don't do these coasters at all.

The last couple of parks I've been to for the first time I've completely avoided the Arrow loopers and any Vekoma coasters I came across. This was mostly because the parks were crowded and I wanted to be sure I rode everything I thought I might enjoy first.

As for kiddie coasters, the only time I ride those is if I'm at some kind of event, like an ACE event, when there are other adult members who are riding. Sometimes parks will suspend the "must have a child to ride" rule for such events. That way, it doesn't look quite so weird to be a childless adult waiting in line for and then riding a kiddie coaster. But otherwise, I leave them alone and don't bother.

I only count racers, regardless of the configuration, as a single coaster (the bridge analogy is a good one - two spans but the bridge goes by one name and occupies roughly the same area and space).

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/17/11 10:40:47 AM

^^^What if who have ridden only one side of a racer; Would you count that as one cred, half a cred, or none? All of you "both sides of racers = 1 credit" folks feel free to chime in.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/17/11 10:49:21 AM

> ^^^What if who have ridden only one side of a racer; Would
> you count that as one cred, half a cred, or none? All of
> you "both sides of racers = 1 credit" folks feel
> free to chime in.

I count racers that have different tracks as 2 credits (Rolling Thunder)and ones that have practically identical layouts (Rebel Yell) as 1 credit.

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/17/11 11:41:25 AM

> free to chime in.

If it's considered one coaster, then it's one credit. Regardless of riding one or both sides.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/17/11 2:22:37 PM

I don't fit into most kiddie rides because of my height :(

I ride as many rides as I can just because I like to get the different experiences. It's fun to add to the number as well :)

- mugen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by alpengeistno3 at 9/17/11 2:40:30 PM

> free to chime in.

1 coaster = 1 credit. When I went to Carowinds 6 years ago, they only had one side of Thunder Road open both days I was there. Counted my credit for that side. I won't count the other side as a separate credit whenever I go back, but I would like to ride both just to say I did.

Paul

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/17/11 8:44:16 PM

I count racing and dueling coasters as 2 separate credits if two tracks are different ( Gwazi, Lightning Racer, Dueling Dragons, Rolling Thunder, The Chiller, Twisted Sisters). Each track is different, therefore they are 2 different coasters. I also count racing coasters as 2 credits if the track splits and doesn't share the same support beams throughout the ride (Rebel Yell, Racer, Thunder Road). I view these coasters as sisters that are built next to one another. Many coasters have identical layouts like wild mouse coasters, The 2 Hurlers, The Batmans, etc. The only difference is that they are in different parks. Usually with the racing and dueling coasters one side is better than the other. Same applies to sister coasters located in different parks. Each side provides a different ride therefore I considered them 2 different coasters.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 9/20/11 11:41:41 AM

Gee! When did coatercounter.com become the authority on coaster counting?

Regards,
kevin Reid

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/20/11 11:49:00 AM

^^^It's my authority. LOL

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Coaster316 at 9/20/11 12:51:52 PM

> So how about you which ones just for the count and why?

> Regards,
> Kevin Reid

To answer the original question, it is also Boomerang for me. In fact, at many parks I'm visiting for the first time I'll run right to it first thing to get it out of the way so that I can relax and enjoy the rest of my day.

To answer the one-or-two count question, I count all racing/dueling coasters as one because they feel like one attraction to me. No scientific measure, I just go by feel.

I wonder if anyone counts Storm Runner as two depending on which side of the station they board/exit. I wouldn't doubt it.

Jeff

p.s./side comment to Kevin...was thinking about you and the family the other day. I watched a couple of episodes of Taxi for the first time in years and remember watching the Drivers Test episode at your house! Great times.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/20/11 1:11:29 PM

> Jeff

> p.s./side comment to Kevin...was thinking about you and the
> family the other day. I watched a couple of episodes of
> Taxi for the first time in years and remember watching the
> Drivers Test episode at your house! Great times.

>
Thank you, Jeff. I haven't thought of that in a while. Probably my second favorite sitcom episode ever, right behind "The Contest" episode of Seinfeld.

Of course, when people like us are on a roller coaster, the meaning of the yellow light is NOT what we wish to think about...

R.I.P. Jeff Conaway, a very important part of that exchange.

Mike

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/20/11 4:59:42 PM

> I wonder if anyone counts Storm Runner as two depending on
> which side of the station they board/exit. I wouldn't doubt
> it.

LMAO, that makes the phrase 'creho' an understatement.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/21/11 8:33:43 AM

> it.

> LMAO, that makes the phrase 'creho' an understatement.

>
So when Kingda Ka used FOUR loading stations....

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/11 10:14:08 AM

^^^LOL. I believe that Big Thunder Mtn at WDW has two stations; Next time I'm gonna enter from the other station, and count it as a cred. Just Kidding. I wonder if someone would count double credits on a coaster that has moved to another spot inside the same park, because of 'changes in scenery' "Wacky Worm Lake Winnie East, one credit; Wacky Worm Lake Winnie West, one credit. Now that would be funny. LOL

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/11 10:17:28 AM

^^^BTW, I'm not saying that the Wacky Worm at Lake Winnie has ever been moved, just an example.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by squirrels at 9/21/11 11:16:57 AM

> To answer the one-or-two count question, I count all
> racing/dueling coasters as one because they feel like one
> attraction to me. No scientific measure, I just go by feel.

> it.

Racing coasters, you could make an argument, as they are two different tracks. While they are mirror-images of each other, the way they often run over and under each other makes them distinctly different enough.

Stormrunner...no. Although you can load from either side of the station, it still switches out onto the same track. That'd be like counting Top Thrill Dragster twice depending on whether you loaded on the first or second train. It's ridiculous to stretch the truth like that for a statistic like "coaster count", a statistic that, in the end, no one really cares about. ;)

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/11 11:31:02 AM

> Gee! When did coatercounter.com become the authority on
> coaster counting?

> Regards,
> kevin Reid

When it became a great way to count coasters! I just starting keeping count several years ago and I would have never remembered many that I had ridden 25 years ago but there I can see the parks and rides they have/had so it makes it very easy to keep a pretty accurate count and helped me remember what I've ridden in the past. I only check the ones I've ridden, I don't put in how many times but for those that do you can do that as well. It's a handy little website IMO.

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/11 11:34:52 AM

> it.

> LMAO, that makes the phrase 'creho' an understatement.

> > So when Kingda Ka used FOUR loading stations....
>

My total count has just gone up exponentially! LOL! Now, what if you use the Flash Pass entrance? There's 2 more you could add for a total of 6 coasters! (he he he!) The sad part is I'm sure someone somewhere has actually done this...

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/11 12:54:11 PM

LOL a Flash Pass entrance credit.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/11 2:48:12 PM

Let's get a lil' controversial; How bout a coaster that's been altered like Son of Beast w/loop and without; Steel Phantom/Phantoms Revenge; Texas Giant/New Texas Giant; Drachen Fire with & without that one removed inversion(whatever it was) etc, etc. Would you count altered coasters as double credits? My gut instinct is to say no, they are still one credit; I'm quite sure that many will disagree.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/21/11 3:11:41 PM

THat's a good one. But I too wouldn't concider any alterations to an existing coaster to make it a new ride. What I would do is make a note about if I rode it when it was original and altered.

Like I-305: I rode that before they made that change on the curve b/w the 1st and 2nd hills, but when I ride it again I would still count it as one coaster.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 9/21/11 3:22:36 PM

I go by running track. Therefore stations/platforms/trains don't change things. Parallel running tracks (Gemini)just expands ride capacity and adds the racing elements (hurrah!) but doesn't alter the ride experience. Now if two different coasters share a station and some expensive launch equipment and provide signicantly different ride experiences (Batman and Robin: the Chiller) then they are separate coasters. Pairs of coasters that supply mirror image or just similar experiences (Racer, Rolling Thunder at SFGAD, Space Mountain)are one ride. Pairs providing different experiences (Gwazi, Fire and Ice)are two. YMMV.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/11 3:27:04 PM

> Let's get a lil' controversial; How bout a coaster that's
> been altered like Son of Beast w/loop and without; Steel
> Phantom/Phantoms Revenge; Texas Giant/New Texas Giant;
> Drachen Fire with & without that one removed
> inversion(whatever it was) etc, etc. Would you count
> altered coasters as double credits? My gut instinct is to
> say no, they are still one credit; I'm quite sure that many
> will disagree.

I actually thought about this while reading one of the other posts. I think it depends. I think the new Texas Giant is essentially a different coaster so I think that could count as 2 separate credits but just modifying an element like on SOB shouldn't count. That would be like me counting The Chiller 4 times after they removed the barrel rolls. That's just my opinion but if I add 2 more Chiller rides to the additional 5 coaster KK count my steel total increases by 7 coasters! LOL!

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/21/11 3:34:39 PM

> Let's get a lil' controversial; How bout a coaster that's
> been altered like Son of Beast w/loop and without; Steel
> Phantom/Phantoms Revenge; Texas Giant/New Texas Giant;
> Drachen Fire with & without that one removed
> inversion(whatever it was) etc, etc. Would you count
> altered coasters as double credits? My gut instinct is to
> say no, they are still one credit; I'm quite sure that many
> will disagree.

That's a judgment call. Depends on how much it was actually altered for me. There's a whole lot of gray area though. The few that I would think definitely count as 2 different credits are Phantom/Phantom's Revenge, Buzzsaw Falls/Powder Keg, and Texas/New Texas Giant. They were so drastically altered, they were basically remade. ALL of the track was changed, not only in material, on NTG. The majority of track on the other two was replaced with different elements, and made them entirely different rides.

Rides like Drachen Fire, and SOB are the ones in the gray area for me, but I lean towards them being counted only once. The overall layout, and "purpose" of the ride remains the same with very little actually being changed, only a single element.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/21/11 3:40:04 PM

> I go by running track. Therefore stations/platforms/trains
> don't change things. Parallel running tracks (Gemini)just
> expands ride capacity and adds the racing elements
> (hurrah!) but doesn't alter the ride experience. Now if two
> different coasters share a station and some expensive
> launch equipment and provide signicantly different ride
> experiences (Batman and Robin: the Chiller) then they are
> separate coasters. Pairs of coasters that supply mirror
> image or just similar experiences (Racer, Rolling Thunder
> at SFGAD, Space Mountain)are one ride. Pairs providing
> different experiences (Gwazi, Fire and Ice)are two. YMMV.

I agree with everything but Rolling Thunder. RT's tracks are actually pretty different so I count them as two. I don't count Racer, Lightning Racer or Rebel Yell as two though. Although I only rode Gemini once (with you!) I would only count that once anyway since, as you pointed out, they are the same.

I do have both Space Mountains checked on Coastercounter although I do think I'm "pushing it" in my own head with that one. Does anyone know if they are actually identical?

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/11 4:41:34 PM

According to rcdb, The only difference in the Space Mtn coasters is that one track is ten feet longer than the other.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/21/11 4:45:17 PM

> According to rcdb, The only difference in the Space Mtn
> coasters is that one track is ten feet longer than the
> other.

And the fact that they're a continent apart.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/21/11 4:56:48 PM

Haha, I gotcha Mike, you're a "2 is 1" guy.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/21/11 9:54:51 PM

Wow, I haven't seen one of these kinds of threads in a long time. Short simple rule- everyone counts differently, and trying to convince anyone that your method (or someone elses's) is the proper, correct way is a futile prospect.

How do I count? I start with the definition of a roller coaster:
1. It must be powered by gravity for at least a portion of the ride (hence the "coaster" part of the name) If a ride is under electric power or some other means of propulsion through the entire ride, it is not a coaster. This, in the end, is what eliminated "Fire in the Hole" at Silver Dollar City and it's twin at Dollywood for me. They're powered the entire trip,
even though they have a couple of good drops on them.

2. It must roll on wheels through the entire ride. Exceptions can be made for the lift, but even there, the wheels must be in constant contact and remain in the same relation to the track throughout. This allows for coasters with elevator lifts (e.g. LocoSumo or Spellbreaker) because their wheels remain in constant contract with a portion of track while they are
lifted- they do not get removed from the track then reattached. However, it also eliminates Freefall and other Intamin first generation drop rides because their wheels are not in constant contact with the track, but will use different sets of wheels at different points on the ride.

3. You need to go somewhere. It has to involve some sort of traveling out of a station on a track. This is why XScream, to me, isn't a coaster. While the train moves on it's track section, it really doesn't go anywhere, being firmly planted in the one spot on the tower, as opposed to traveling to another point on it.

If it fulfills those three things, then I count it. I don't care if it's a kiddie coaster, a traveling coaster, or what not. A coaster is a coaster and therefore gets counted.

Racing coasters get counted once for each side of the track. Relocated coasters get counted once at each location that I've experienced it at- for reasons noted above (different theming, landscaping, care- it's a different experience). However, with traveling/ carnival coasters I only count those once, regardless of how many locations, at least for each company it's with. E.g. I've been on the same model of coaster owned by three different companies, it gets counted 3 times because each one is a unique individual ride. But if I ride the one owned by the same company at two different fairs it only gets counted once total. It's like riding 4 Boomerangs at 4 different parks. They are essentailly the same coaster, but because they are 4 unique builds they counted each time.

Kiddie coasters- yes, I ride them, and yes, I count them. One, because I have kids and ride often with them (though they are a little big for the kiddie coasters). I also ride with my nieces and other kids because everyone knows I'm the coaster nut. And yes, I have been on a few "kiddie" coasters filled with enthusiasts having fun and making general fools of ourselves. Why? Because it was fun! And if you've ever ridden a certain kiddie coaster at Knoebel's, you'll also know a lot of those kiddie rights don't have to be "kiddie."

If you don't ride them, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat. But don't rain on my parade when I'm having fun with a big smile on my face while you're standing on the side, frown on yours, tsk tsk'ing me. I'll take my grin over your boorishness anyday. :P

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by drachen drachen Profile at 9/22/11 12:18:04 AM

Like I mentioned up above, unfortunately the only way to track the roller coasters we ride is with a number.

The issue with discrepancies of how we count the rides we ride is with most enthusiast's obsession of making that number as high as possible. The whole thing has become a pissing contest, and it's a little silly.

When I see how many coasters people have ridden, it really means little to me. Sure, I'd love to say I've ridden 300+ roller coasters too, but when I see that number on other sites, I always wonder how many of those rides are kiddie rides, or relocated coasters counted twice - things that I feel are done solely to inflate the number.

What's the point? What does the number really represent? Does it truly represent your experience with the industry or your knowledge of roller coasters? Does that even matter?

I was reading on that awful site, Theme Park Review, about a guy's recent trip to the Jersey Shore boardwalks. I was interested, since I love the Jersey Shore (the actual shore, not that horrid TV show).

This dude was so proud of the fact that he rode something like 20 new coasters in 10 hours, telling everyone which "credit" each coaster was as he went along. Everyone that commented was patting him on the back.

He really thought he had accomplished something, when really the only thing he accomplished was making an ass out of himself for a day, arguing with ride ops to let him on the kiddie rides. Is increasing your coaster count really worth that much trouble and embarrassment?

When did roller coasters become "credits"? Who coined that phrase? I think that term is part of the problem.

Is this a game? Did I miss something?

Riding a kiddie coaster is not fun for me, unless my little girl is sitting next to me.

I went to Dollywood for the first time in 2009. At the end of my day, I had an option to ride Thunderhead for a fourth time, or go find the Veggie Tales coaster. I rode Thunderhead.

In fact, looking back at my list, I've left 20 kiddie coasters un-ridden over the past three seasons, and probably 40 or so overall. 290 sounds a lot better than 250, but 250 means more to me than 290.

I'll get off my soapbox now. If you ride kiddie coasters because it's fun, more power to you. If you do it just to increase your number and impress everyone, then I think that's a little lame.

I'd just rather re-ride a good ride before I ride something to increase my count.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/22/11 12:50:18 AM

I think that it's all in fun concerning talking peoples ways in coaster counting. It's all just light watercooler talk (or in the case of a theme park, lukewarm water fountain talk) LOL.
No one on URC is pointing a Desert Eagle at someone's head saying "You better convert to my ways in coaster counting, or else!!!". No one never argued, we all are just voiced opinions. So relax guys, there's no pissing contest here, although I still find it very strange to count relocated coasters. ;)

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/22/11 12:50:24 AM

Double post.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/22/11 1:02:09 AM

Can't argue with what you said Drachen. I too would not ride a kiddie coaster over a reride on a regular coaster for the credit. Wild mouse rides are the lowest I'd go. So as shameless as it sounds: I count every wild mouse/racers as individuals despite being the same ride/mirrored layout. However, I would not count kiddie rides on my list. THat's where I draw the line. I may not have been to most parks in the US, but I've got enough respectable coasters on my list to be satisfied without having to inflate it with kiddie rides.

[not a slam on those that like kiddie rides, but those are not my kind of thing and nor will I add that to my count]

Also thanks for posting that 'jersey shore' post. Wow... I'm speechless.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by drachen drachen Profile at 9/22/11 1:16:35 AM

> No one never argued, we all are
> just voiced opinions. So relax guys, there's no pissing
> contest here,

I wasn't referring to anyone here specifically. I didn't mean for anyone to take offense. I was just stating my views on the subject. Like I said, if riding kiddie coasters is fun, have at it. It's just not for me.

The "pissing contest" is a reference to coaster enthusiasm in general, not this site. I actually find that this site's forum consists of some of the highest quality enthusiasts I come across online.

> although I still find it very strange to
> count relocated coasters. ;)
>

Yeah, me too.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/22/11 8:32:20 AM

> Haha, I gotcha Mike, you're a "2 is 1" guy.

No, 2 is 2. I've been on both legitimately. If that's what you meant.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/22/11 11:37:10 AM

> No, 2 is 2. I've been on both legitimately. If that's what
> you meant.

There are two tracks inside Space Mountain. They mirror each other. That's what Overbanked meant.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/22/11 12:11:17 PM

> you meant.

> There are two tracks inside Space Mountain. They mirror
> each other. That's what Overbanked meant.

I didn't know that. It's been a while. Thanks, Josh.

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/22/11 12:25:24 PM

> you meant.

> There are two tracks inside Space Mountain. They mirror
> each other. That's what Overbanked meant.

Really? So I've ridden 4 coasters instead of 2! Add that to the 5 KK and 2 Chillers and I'm up 9 steel coasters by doing nothing but reading these posts! LOL!

Jen

Re: Coaters Just for the Count? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/22/11 12:37:27 PM

Another benefit to counting racers as one is that it means I have yet to reach 100, whereas if I counted the racers as 2, I would be over 100, and my 100th would have been Dark Knight at SFGAm, and I don't think I could live with that. lol ;P