Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone

tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone

Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile

Posted:
9/13/11 at
2:58:56 AM

Well, I guess i'm adding another 2 on top of the :sigh: '3'* [tickler from earlier in the summer, but fortunately Cheetah Hunt and Manta] to bump up my total count of new rides to 5.

Yesterday went to CI and finally got to ride Soarin Eagle and after riding it, I will not be going back on that anytime soon as it was very rough on my shoulders- ouch.
Steeplechase was fun, but more or less a forgetable ride. It's the launch and then 'whatever'. Not worth the 7 creds that it costs.

The 'Zenobio' or skyscraper ride was pretty fun and compared to the other rides in that section, the most value for its price at 8 creds. Normally heights that far up freaks me out, but I guess it was part the otsr and the 'cage' that made me feel a bit more secure despite being so high up and the cage swinging around when the arm stops moving.

Finally I made it over to the cyclone where i was disappointed to find they don't allow people to wait for the front row anymore. So by default i decided to take my first and only ride in the back row. Holy crap, I think if i didn't hold on to the bar in front of me, I think I might've been thrown off the coaster. I would probably say it could've been like riding a wild bull.
I had a 40 cred card, so I didn't want my 1 cyclone ride to be tainted by my bad back row experience, so I went back and took the 2nd car, front row and the ride felt a lot 'safer', but not much better.

Finally I refilled the card for another 3 creds and went to the air race ride at Luna Park and took a few more pics of the decomissioned astroland tower. And that was that for my day.

Slide show of pics from a different day, will try to get the more current ones up eventually.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/13/11 4:53:04 AM

Thanks for the TR. Yeah, it doesn't surprise me that Soarin' Eagle FKA 'Flying Coaster' at Elitch was rough, from the many complaints on Elitch Gardens TR's. Soarin' Eagle looks like it makes Superman: Mediocre Flight look like a Piacasso painting. Scream Zone could've put something in there that's worthwhile, put of course 'Zamperla Land: Phase Two' had to stick with Italian coasters.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/13/11 4:53:04 AM

Sorry for the double post.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/13/11 9:43:39 PM

Thanks for reading!
Well, I wasn't expecting much from the ride [Eagle], but I still feel that to have that area of just 4 rides to have been included in the same 4/6 hr wristband price as Luna Park would've been nice.
$7 or 7 creds for that ride was way too much. Also granted it was a cloudy day and a week after labor day weekend - meaning small crowds, it was nearly deserted for Eagle.

Lol, indeed, much as i despise Superman [and I'm usually a B&M supporter 95% of the time], Eagle makes me glad there's a decent flyer in the tri-state area. Eagle = 4.5/10, Sups in comparison = 7/10.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by drachen drachen Profile at 9/15/11 12:25:12 AM

> Steeplechase was fun, but more or less a forgetable ride.
> It's the launch and then 'whatever'. Not worth the 7 creds
> that it costs.

I thought that Steeplechase was a lot of fun. 7 credits is a little steep for it, but I'd ride it again any day.

> Finally I made it over to the cyclone where i was
> disappointed to find they don't allow people to wait for
> the front row anymore. So by default i decided to take my
> first and only ride in the back row. Holy crap, I think if
> i didn't hold on to the bar in front of me, I think I
> might've been thrown off the coaster. I would probably say
> it could've been like riding a wild bull.

Agreed. The back of the Cyclone is about as brutal as a roller coaster ride gets. It kicked my butt. I will avoid the wheel seats when I get back.

> I had a 40 cred card, so I didn't want my 1 cyclone ride to
> be tainted by my bad back row experience, so I went back
> and took the 2nd car, front row and the ride felt a lot
> 'safer', but not much better.

I enjoyed the front much more. Fun up there.

> Finally I refilled the card for another 3 creds and went to
> the air race ride at Luna Park and took a few more pics of
> the decomissioned astroland tower. And that was that for my
> day.

Air Race is a really good flat ride. I would love to see more of them show up at other parks.

Thanks for the TR. Coney Island doesn't get a lot of love online. It's a fun visit, and a nice sea shore setting along the boardwalk. Even if it's a shell of its former self, it has gotten much better in the last two years it seems.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/15/11 2:01:57 AM

THanks for reading!

Yeah, what sucks about the new ownership at the Cyclone is that they don't allow you to wait for the front row anymore. I was willing to let the coaster leave, but was told by the ride op I have to move to an empty seat. So being one to try out new things, I took that 'opportunity' to take the back row. Lol, I wasn't like: "OMFG! I'm gonna Die!" freaked out, but it was enough to make me hang on tight to the metal bar in front of me. :)

I love Air Race. Of course aside from the fear of my wallet and such flying out, it is a very fun ride. Every park should have one. It is just so much fun.

Also funny enough, while most parks charges [what $5-20?] for the slingshot... CI charges $8 or 8 creds for theirs. So to me that seems like a pretty good deal. Would probably say the same of the skyscraper if that's a seperate charge admission.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 9/15/11 6:29:15 PM

Holy crap, I think if
> i didn't hold on to the bar in front of me, I think I
> might've been thrown off the coaster. I would probably say
> it could've been like riding a wild bull.

Everything you wrote here makes it sound like the back seat is the best place in the world to sit! I'd love it! So was it painful or what?

- Pat-O

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/15/11 6:56:42 PM

> I love Air Race. Of course aside from the fear of my wallet
> and such flying out, it is a very fun ride. Every park
> should have one. It is just so much fun.

Remember, parks don't like to replicate very fun flatrides; Windseekers are the only flatrides that are currently available for parks. LOL.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/15/11 8:42:01 PM

LOL! Very true! [ps I'm going to be late with the pics, but I think I can scrape up some older pics I took a few months ago for the slideshow]

> Everything you wrote here makes it sound like the back seat
> is the best place in the world to sit! I'd love it! So was
> it painful or what?

> - Pat-O

The first two drops were a bit 'painful' when you are launched up and 'violently' 'thrown' down. It's like being thrown up and landing/sitting down on a slab of concrete.
Otherwise the rest of the ride was 'tollerable', but pretty much you will be tossed around like a ragdoll including the smaller hills towards the end.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/15/11 10:17:22 PM

Great TR and slide show. I've never been to Coney. I would love to ride The Cyclone and visit that historic park, but the thought of dealing with NY City traffic keeps me away. Maybe one day I'll get there.

Re: tr: Coney Island Scream zone and Cyclone by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/15/11 11:37:02 PM

For me it's public transit. So long as you can navigate the maze of subway lines, you should be able to get there without the hassles of the streets and highways. The great thing about the parks is that they are just a few blocks away from the subway stop and you can see them, so you can't really get lost.

With all the trips I have each summer to Florida, Coney isn't really a top destination for me, but I can get there w/in an hour [yeah I'm spoiled]. Plus the rides there are either too expensive or not worth reriding.