Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hometown Apathy?

Hometown Apathy?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
9/8/11 at
4:10:04 PM

I saw this phrase on another forum. The poster used it as a possible explanation for his feelings about a particular coaster at his "home park." It's a coaster that gets rave reviews since its re-do, but the poster simply doesn't have the feelings for it that many do.

The phrase got me thinking. I wondered if the reason I rank MF, I-305, and Supes America higher than Nitro is because I CAN'T ride them anytime I like. I can't do them spur-of-the-moment. Nitro, I can. I just wonder if it would rank higher if it WASN'T in my home state.

The reverse sort of applies, too. El Toro is my favorite ride, and I've been on it at least 600 times. But would it rank as highly if it was sitting out in Erie, PA or Indiana, where my #'s 2 and 3 reside? Where I COULDN'T ride it any old time?

These are not really questions I can answer. If they were all sitting in my backyard, it'd be a helluva lot easier to compare...

Just food for thought. Anyone else?

Heading down Virginny way tomorrow for my birthday (Monday) weekend. KD Saturday, Six Flags MD Sunday, then home. Have a good weekend folks, and keep my spot warm.

Mike

Re: Hometown Apathy? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/8/11 5:12:38 PM

I don't think it matters. I think when you are riding a coaster and decide it's one of the best it's genuine. I also think that time diminishes the feeling and what was once a favorite may fall. For example, whenever I see anyone mention Montu, I always remember how much I loved that coaster but it was 11 years ago and I couldn't tell you anything more than it was an invert and I loved it. I don't remember it enough to rank it. So I think the homepark coasters have a benefit. Do we sometimes take them for granted? Maybe for some but I actually think I like them better than I would in another park because it is my homepark and that adds a little something to it for me.

Jen

Re: Hometown Apathy? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/8/11 6:20:52 PM

Hard to say. I think it might apply more to the entire park, and not any specific ride. I kinda feel that way about SFGAm (one of the parks I've visited the most, and the one that really started my coaster love), which I love, but there are aspects of it I've gotten too familiar with it, and it makes me feel like the park is less exciting than I used to. It doesn't make me dislike the park in any way, but it does make me want to have more variety in my park visits. I'll definitely be visiting SFGAm next year for X-Flight though!

-Josh

Re: Hometown Apathy? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/11 7:16:51 PM

> I don't think it matters. I think when you are riding a
> coaster and decide it's one of the best it's genuine.

I agree Jen. I do agree that many people (not me) out there have that 'hometown apathy' mentality; Just like on Mike G's 'Dania Beach Hurricane Closing' thread that had a link to a local South Florida newspaper site, it seemed like most of the local posters were jaded with DBH, but alotta the out of towner enthusiast loved it. IMO DBH is awesome; Too bad that it currently has an uncertain future. :(

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Hometown Apathy? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/8/11 7:33:20 PM

Quote 1: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

In the case of being away from a far distant coaster you love but can't get to very often, that's certainly true, right? Heck, it's true of a coaster right around the corner if you simply don't visit that particular park.

Quote 2: "Familiarity breeds contempt."

OK, that's harsh, but the point is that a favorite coaster you ride very often can seem less enthralling. I.e., don't overdo it. See quote 1.

OF course, how a coaster holds up over time can sway your attitude toward it, whether quote 1 or quote 2 applies.

Mike B.

Re: Hometown Apathy? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/8/11 7:52:50 PM

> Quote 1: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Yes but after a while, the heart forgets....

> In the case of being away from a far distant coaster you
> love but can't get to very often, that's certainly true,
> right? Heck, it's true of a coaster right around the corner
> if you simply don't visit that particular park.

> Quote 2: "Familiarity breeds contempt."

LOL! Ouch!

> OK, that's harsh, but the point is that a favorite coaster
> you ride very often can seem less enthralling. I.e., don't
> overdo it.

That's true to a point. Even with a season pass while I'm home I only go to SFGAdv about 4 times a year or it gets boring to me (although that may change since I just got a job in Lakewood, NJ and will be minutes from SFGAdv, YAY!). But I don't love KK or ET any less, I just don't have as good of a time overall or get as excited when I go but my feelings for the actual coasters don't really change. I think it's more the overall experience that's affected.

Jen

Re: Hometown Apathy? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/9/11 10:54:27 AM

Certain things really annoy me; single train operation on a busy day, rude and lazy employees and ride ops, trash and filth throughout the park, unexpected ride closures, over priced food and beverages, etc. When this occurs at my home park, (Kennywood) it seems to be magnified. When I visit some of my favorite parks like SF Great Adventure or Cedar Point or Hershey or Busch Gardens or Kings Dominion, I wonder why can't Kennywood be like this. Even smaller parks like Mt. Olympus, Holiday World, and Lake Compounce operate in way that is very impressive. For most enthusiasts Kennywood is one of their favorite parks. The combination of the new and old rides really impresses them. In my opinion Kennywood does have some of the best flats and The Jack Rabbit is a real gem. I really don't have a bias when it comes to rating their coasters or flat rides, although I don't like Phantoms Revenge and The Thunderbolt as most enthusiasts do, but I would still feel the same way about those coasters if they were located at SF Great Adventure or Cedar Point. What bugs me is the over all park experience. In 2011 I went to 12 different parks. Kennywood had the longest lines and frustrated me the most. Same thing in 2010 when attending 10 parks that year. We visit Kennywood once a year and that's it. If I lived 20 minutes from the parks I mentioned above I would have a season pass. We find ourselves looking forward to our annual trip to Waldameer more that our visit to Kennywood. I think I hold a high standard for my home park because I've been to so many parks that do operate in an acceptable fashion. My home park is a real gem. It should be operated that way. I would love to get a season pass and visit once a week and have a great time, but I just don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

Re: Hometown Apathy? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/9/11 3:11:42 PM

> I saw this phrase on another forum. The poster used it as a
> possible explanation for his feelings about a particular
> coaster at his "home park." It's a coaster that
> gets rave reviews since its re-do, but the poster simply
> doesn't have the feelings for it that many do.

> The phrase got me thinking. I wondered if the reason I rank
> MF, I-305, and Supes America higher than Nitro is because I
> CAN'T ride them anytime I like. I can't do them
> spur-of-the-moment. Nitro, I can. I just wonder if it would
> rank higher if it WASN'T in my home state.

> The reverse sort of applies, too. El Toro is my favorite
> ride, and I've been on it at least 600 times. But would it
> rank as highly if it was sitting out in Erie, PA or
> Indiana, where my #'s 2 and 3 reside? Where I COULDN'T ride
> it any old time?

> These are not really questions I can answer. If they were
> all sitting in my backyard, it'd be a helluva lot easier to
> compare...

> Just food for thought. Anyone else?

> Heading down Virginny way tomorrow for my birthday (Monday)
> weekend. KD Saturday, Six Flags MD Sunday, then home. Have
> a good weekend folks, and keep my spot warm.

> Mike

Happy early Birthday Mike!!

In my own personal opinion hold the term "home park" very dear. Nitro is my number one coaster and if it wasn't at my home park it might not be. Say Apollo's Chariot was at SFGadv instead of Nitro in the same exact spot. It would probly be my favorite then. Of course that is an impossible thing to know for sure, but Nitro is an awesome ride and I love where it's at soooo much. It's a lot of why it's my #1. I have ridden it over 600 times, so repetition is not an issue for me. People ask me that all the time too. I just always find something new to look at out there. That, and the ride itself is thrilling every time, not as much as the first 100 times, but it still thrills me.

It would be hard to rate a coaster #1 with just riding it once. I feel like sometimes you need to ride a ride 2-3 times to fully grasp the awesomeness hahaha. Like someone else said, there is also the problem of forgetting a ride after a long time of not going on it. Ride experiences change, scenery changes, the feel of the ride changes over time. So sometimes a ride experience can be better or worse than you remember.

Another good point to make is that sometimes rides can grow on you, or the one ride may be a bad experience. Say for isntance it was raining while you rode, or cold, or the ride ops sucked, or you got stuck. Imagine if some of those things happened and you only got one ride in on it and wouldn't ride it for another year or so, or maybe even ever again.

I rode I-305 when it was trimmed, I personally thought the ride was all hype. I was literally stopped for a brief brief moment on the drop and could not get over how lame it was that they put the trims on the first drop. People have ridden it pre trim and now post trim/track rearrangement. I didnt. So my rating of I-305 is wayyyyyy different than the majority of people out there. It's slowly getting bumped from my top 10. I could go back and ride it next year and maybe be floored by the improvements. It's kind of like when rides change restraints and stuff, experiences change throughout the years.

- mugen

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Hometown Apathy? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/10/11 1:26:31 AM

In my own personal opinion hold the term "home
> park" very dear. Nitro is my number one coaster and if
> it wasn't at my home park it might not be. Say Apollo's
> Chariot was at SFGadv instead of Nitro in the same exact
> spot. It would probly be my favorite then. Of course that
> is an impossible thing to know for sure, but Nitro is an
> awesome ride and I love where it's at soooo much. It's a
> lot of why it's my #1. I have ridden it over 600 times, so
> repetition is not an issue for me. People ask me that all
> the time too. I just always find something new to look at
> out there. That, and the ride itself is thrilling every
> time, not as much as the first 100 times, but it still
> thrills me.

Well said. I agree 100%. If TTD was at SFGAdv and KK at CP, I'm sure TTD would be my favorite.

> Another good point to make is that sometimes rides can grow
> on you, or the one ride may be a bad experience. Say for
> isntance it was raining while you rode, or cold, or the
> ride ops sucked, or you got stuck. Imagine if some of those
> things happened and you only got one ride in on it and
> wouldn't ride it for another year or so, or maybe even ever
> again.

Happened to me with Maverick. I still think it's over-rated but not nearly as bad as I remembered it being the first time I rode it due to a better experience the second time (although that was over 3 years later b/c the bastard always broke down while I was there, sometimes on line, which I'm sure added to the bad feelings).

Jen

Re: Hometown Apathy? by kdleader kdleader Profile at 9/10/11 10:23:06 AM

> Hard to say. I think it might apply more to the entire
> park, and not any specific ride.

> It doesn't make me dislike the park in any way, but it does
> make me want to have more variety in my park visits.

> -Josh

I can agree with your statements. For the first time this year Hershey hasn't been as much fun as it was in the past. I've been a season pass holder for over 10-years and I'm on pace for my fewest visits since being a season pass holder.

Variety is what I also prefer. I'd rather take a trip to a distant park just to experience something different than make the 30-minute trip to Hershey. Although, cost obviously becomes a factor.

Kevin

Re: Hometown Apathy? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/10/11 4:49:45 PM

> In my own personal opinion hold the term "home
> park" very dear. Nitro is my number one coaster and if
> it wasn't at my home park it might not be. Say Apollo's
> Chariot was at SFGadv instead of Nitro in the same exact
> spot. It would probly be my favorite then. Of course that
> is an impossible thing to know for sure, but Nitro is an
> awesome ride and I love where it's at soooo much. It's a
> lot of why it's my #1. I have ridden it over 600 times, so
> repetition is not an issue for me. People ask me that all
> the time too. I just always find something new to look at
> out there. That, and the ride itself is thrilling every
> time, not as much as the first 100 times, but it still
> thrills me.

> It would be hard to rate a coaster #1 with just riding it
> once. I feel like sometimes you need to ride a ride 2-3
> times to fully grasp the awesomeness hahaha. Like someone
> else said, there is also the problem of forgetting a ride
> after a long time of not going on it. Ride experiences
> change, scenery changes, the feel of the ride changes over
> time. So sometimes a ride experience can be better or worse
> than you remember.

> Another good point to make is that sometimes rides can grow
> on you, or the one ride may be a bad experience. Say for
> isntance it was raining while you rode, or cold, or the
> ride ops sucked, or you got stuck. Imagine if some of those
> things happened and you only got one ride in on it and
> wouldn't ride it for another year or so, or maybe even ever
> again.

> I rode I-305 when it was trimmed, I personally thought the
> ride was all hype. I was literally stopped for a brief
> brief moment on the drop and could not get over how lame it
> was that they put the trims on the first drop. People have
> ridden it pre trim and now post trim/track rearrangement. I
> didnt. So my rating of I-305 is wayyyyyy different than the
> majority of people out there. It's slowly getting bumped
> from my top 10. I could go back and ride it next year and
> maybe be floored by the improvements. It's kind of like
> when rides change restraints and stuff, experiences change
> throughout the years.

> - mugen

Excellent post. I totally agree with everything you stated especially about I305. I only know of it when it had the trims and the original terrible OTSR. The next time I go back I do hope to ride it without the trims and the new restraints. I do feel that it is worthy enough to be among my top 5 favs, but right now I feel it is just under my top 10.