Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings

Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
9/8/11 at
3:20:16 AM

What coasters you know that have disappointing and uneventful endings (after the midway run or after the Mid Course Brake Run)? So think the exact opposite of coasters like El Toro, Raptor, and Mystery Mine (coasters with great endings IMO) What coasters have you yearning for more because the 2nd half sucks? Here are mine.

Any coaster with a lift hill that leads to the station like Adventure Express at KI, or the SBNO Cliffhanger in NC(haven't been to Ghost Town in the Sky, but a lifthill to the station = obvious FAILURE LOL)

Any 'Superman: Ultimate Flight' Flyer coaster (AKA Superman: Mediocre Flight). The fun pretty much ends after the pretzel loop. Those supposed 'swooping turns' after the pretzel are very uneventful.

The SBNO 'Round About' FKA 'Maximum RPM' at the old HRP.
After the 'just okay' first drop from the ferris wheel thingy, it was forgettable. I know of some junior coasters with better endings. Maybe that coaster should have debuted as 'Minimum RPM'.

Cheetah Hunt: Yeah, I had to put the only new coaster experience that I've had this year on the list. Don't get me wrong, the 1st half of Cheetah Hunt is respectable, it's filled with nice airtime drops, good launches, tunnels, and the heartline roll, but unfortunately after the MCBR this coaster is downright disappointing. After the MCBR the only things that I remember were the airtime-less switching banked transitions(S-Curves), a mediocre launch over a supposed airhill, and a very bland station run.

I might have some more later, but that's all I have for now.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/8/11 9:37:54 AM

I'll go with two that I believe completely run out of gas about 3/4 of the way through...Caro-Tim and Diamondback. Love both, would ride 'em all day if I could, but I got no late pleasure out of them.

Mike

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/8/11 10:47:43 AM

> I'll go with two that I believe completely run out of gas
> about 3/4 of the way through...Caro-Tim and Diamondback.
> Love both, would ride 'em all day if I could, but I got no
> late pleasure out of them.

> Mike

I slightly disagree with Diamondback. The return run after the brakes up till the helix is indeed a little dull-ish, but I enjoy the hill off the helix, the splash (IDK why but I do...lol), and the hill into the final brakes.

-Josh

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by squirrels at 9/8/11 10:53:20 AM

Hmm...Mantis at Cedar Point comes to mind. Decent coaster (for a stand-up) but after it hits the mid-course brake-run, the second half doesn't seem to live up to the first. It's not BAD, but the single corkscrew isn't much of anything. I could honestly just have ended the ride right at the brakes. Chang/Green Lantern at GAdv is almost a mirror-image of Mantis, but it includes a double-interlocked corkscrew after the mid-course brake run and it makes the ride finish out better.

Volcano TBC at KD kind of "peters out" after the initial rollout of the volcano. There are a couple of inline twists...it's still "decent", but a little weaker compared to the initial launch and shot up.

I'll agree on the Superman coasters, but since the Pretzel Loop is in the middle of the coaster, it doesn't feel like a "second-half let-down" that much, because a lot of the first half is a let-down as well once the novelty of the prone-position wears off.

Some coasters...especially your typical "air-time hyper"...I tend to get bored on the second-half. Most people really love air-time hills and can do a coaster like Nitro or Magnum XL-200 over and over again. Me...I need variety. But that doesn't really count as a "lame finish", per se. For their intended audience, they deliver throughout.

And then there are coasters that don't have a "second half" at all. For example, StormRunner at HP. Excellent coaster throughout. But you almost expect the end-brakes to be a mid-course brake and there to be more coaster afterward. That coaster delivers throughout the ride, but the ride is just abruptly cut short altogether. (as others have pointed out, a lot of Herhsey's coasters give that impression)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by frontrow frontrow Profile at 9/8/11 11:10:47 AM

1) Diamondback
2) The Boss
3) Superman Krypton Coaster
4) Ravine Flyer II
5) Hulk
6) Superman Ultimate Flight
7) Titan
8) Afterburn
9) Legend
10) Georgia Cyclone

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Tomes at 9/8/11 12:30:09 PM

I think almost any coaster that has a break run, nothing really interesting happens after it.. Unless something DRAMATIC happens after the break run, like in Mystery Mine in Dollywood, or even The Italian Job (backlot stunt coaster) where there's a launch after the break run, and the 2nd half is actually more fun than the first half..

Actually Manta in Sea World Florida has a pretty awesome 2nd half too.. Maybe a more relevant discussion is: "What coasters have a GOOD second half?"

Let me point out that Superman Ultimate Flight's pretzel loop is the FIRST element after the drop! Which makes the ENTIRE RIDE not very great, besides the very first element... The drop itself is not great either.. SO it's a 3.0 in my mind.. After the 1st 2-3 times you ride it, it just doesn't do much.

All B&M Hypers in my mind have a somewhat uneventful 2nd half.. Magnum FOR SURE has an extremely uneventful 3/4th after the 2nd drop.

Other ones I can think of that have an exciting 2nd half:
-Montu
-Revenge of the Mummy
-Sheikra/Griffon
-I305
-Riddler's&Green Lantern
-Maverick

Ones that have a boring 2nd half:
-Hollywood RRR
-Iron Wolf
-Loch Ness Monster (despite the loop)
-Anaconda @ KD..

That's my 2cents worth..
Tomes

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 9/8/11 12:58:45 PM

> Magnum FOR SURE has an extremely uneventful 3/4th
> after the 2nd drop.

Wow, I can't believe that! You have every right to think that, but the second half of Magnum is what a lot of people live for! (as long as they enjoy extreme airtime)

The only dull moment on Magnum to me is the turn-around since it's trimmed.

-Josh

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by squirrels at 9/8/11 3:22:13 PM

> after the 2nd drop.

> Wow, I can't believe that! You have every right to think
> that, but the second half of Magnum is what a lot of people
> live for! (as long as they enjoy extreme airtime)

> The only dull moment on Magnum to me is the turn-around
> since it's trimmed.

> -Josh

I've seen two schools of coaster-fans. I'll call them the "excitement" crowd vs. the "intensity" crowd.

The "excitement" crowd is all about height, length, and air-time. For them, hills are king. Simple hypers with long series of air-time hills are what make a good coaster for them, so coasters like Nitro, XL-200, etc are at the top of their list. While they may enjoy some of the looping coasters, something that's twisting and corkscrewing 6 times or more may just seem too "busy" to them.

The "intensity" crowd is all about speed, variety, and twists/inversions. They get more into the thrill of being thrown around and upside-down, shaken up, slung around, and brought to the point of vomit or black-out. They want to see "how much they can take". A B&M invert or floorless looping/corkscrewing coaster is right up their alley...loops, immelmans, corkscrews, heartline rolls, etc. They don't get as much out of out-n-back hypers. They may enjoy the first couple hills, but after a while, it's "surprise me...do something different".

It's a rare coaster that can bring both of those aspects together. Most of the ones that DO, in my mind, are over 300 feet tall.

Millenium Force, for example, has a HUGE lift hill that generates over 90MPH of speed. Airtime hills are interspersed with overbanked turns and tunnels, giving the "excitement" crowd plenty of air-time while keeping the "intensity crowd" guessing.

I305 does something similar. Its turns, instead of high overbanks, are high in positive Gs, turning them into virtual "horizontal loops". It still provides plenty of huge hills which give plenty of air-time at high speed. The INTERESTING thing about that coaster, however, is the "snap-turns"...high-speed twists from a bank in one direction to a bank in the other. These provide a sudden direction change for the "intensity" guys since they usually pull into high-G hammerhead turns, but the twist, at that speed, also creates a negative G on the rider, which translates into brief "air-time" for the "excitement" crowd.

One could argue that the top-hat accelerators also appeal to both crowds...Kingda Ka, TTD, and the like. The quick acceleration is a trial for the heartiest "intensity" junkie, while the height and the air-time when cresting the top-hat appeal to the "excitement" guys.

Anyway...getting off-topic. But this seems to me like the reason for the dichotomy here over coasters like Magnum. You ("excitement guy") really enjoy the airtime on the second half of the coaster, whereas I ("intensity guy") was bored after the first 2-3 hills.

It takes all kinds. :)

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/11 3:28:01 PM

NOW YOU WILL PAY!!!!!!!

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/8/11 3:37:57 PM

>> It takes all kinds. :)

Indeed it does...based on your categories and descriptions...and knowing myself...I'm firmly in the camps of both "excitement" and "intensity." Except when I'm on Dark Knight. Then it's Camp Ennui.

Mike

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by squirrels at 9/8/11 4:04:27 PM

> > It takes all kinds. :)

> Indeed it does...based on your categories and
> descriptions...and knowing myself...I'm firmly in the camps
> of both "excitement" and "intensity."
> Except when I'm on Dark Knight. Then it's Camp Ennui.

> Mike

I'm in Camp Ennui with any "wild mouse". They seem like "little kid coasters" to me. :p

It's good that you can appreciate both types of ride, though. :)

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/8/11 5:15:13 PM

> 1) Diamondback
> 2) The Boss
> 3) Superman Krypton Coaster
> 4) Ravine Flyer II
> 5) Hulk
> 6) Superman Ultimate Flight
> 7) Titan
> 8) Afterburn
> 9) Legend
> 10) Georgia Cyclone

Legend? Wow, Guess you haven't had good rides on it. The four corners of death!!!!!!!!!

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/8/11 5:22:50 PM

> Any coaster with a lift hill that leads to the station like
> Adventure Express at KI

When I rode Adventure Express a few years ago I had no idea it ended after the lift hill. When we started going up I got so excited and there was theming on the way up making me think something good was coming. Then when we hit the station I thought WTF?! That is easily the most disappointing ending I have ever encountered.

Jen

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/8/11 5:25:15 PM

> after the 2nd drop.

> The only dull moment on Magnum to me is the turn-around
> since it's trimmed.

> -Josh

I second that motion! Those bunny hills are airtime machines and the tunnel is pretty cool as well.

Jen

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/11 5:28:55 PM

I agree Josh. IMO Maggie has a very exciting ending. That last tunnel with the airtime hill inside is the exact opposite of anticlimactic.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/8/11 5:31:01 PM

Hershey's Great Bear has always been knocked for its ending.

Mike B.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/11 5:31:54 PM

> Let me point out that Superman Ultimate Flight's pretzel
> loop is the FIRST element after the drop! Which makes the
> ENTIRE RIDE not very great, besides the very first
> element... The drop itself is not great either..

Well said Tomes. I totally agree.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/8/11 7:43:07 PM

> element... The drop itself is not great either..

> Well said Tomes. I totally agree.

The three current B&Ms of that name all share that configuration ( at SFGAdv, SFGAm and SFoG). The pretzel loop to me is quite intense, so I don't really mind getting it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Imagine my angst upon realizing that SFMM's version (Tatsu) has the pretzel loop toward the end of the ride! Perhaps for that reason, or maybe the layout on the "mountain" or it being overall a larger ride, I believe Tatsu is the best of the bunch.

Mike B.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/8/11 9:49:08 PM

> I think almost any coaster that has a break run, nothing
> really interesting happens after it.. Unless something
> DRAMATIC happens after the break run, like in Mystery Mine
> in Dollywood, or even The Italian Job (backlot stunt
> coaster) where there's a launch after the break run, and
> the 2nd half is actually more fun than the first half..

> Actually Manta in Sea World Florida has a pretty awesome
> 2nd half too.. Maybe a more relevant discussion is:
> "What coasters have a GOOD second half?"

> element... The drop itself is not great either.. SO it's a
> 3.0 in my mind.. After the 1st 2-3 times you ride it, it
> just doesn't do much.

> All B&M Hypers in my mind have a somewhat uneventful 2nd
> half.. Magnum FOR SURE has an extremely uneventful 3/4th
> after the 2nd drop.

> Other ones I can think of that have an exciting 2nd half:
> -Montu
> -Revenge of the Mummy
> -Sheikra/Griffon
> -I305
> -Riddler's&Green Lantern
> -Maverick

> Ones that have a boring 2nd half:
> -Hollywood RRR
> -Iron Wolf
> -Loch Ness Monster (despite the loop)
> -Anaconda @ KD..

> That's my 2cents worth..
> Tomes

I have to say that I enjoyed Manta as well. Overall the ride is nice, the 'splash' portion was fun, I just wished the Superman's were somewhat like Manta.

I'm biased for Montu, it is hands down my favorite invert so far. Sadly they have trims before entering the batwing, so that's disappointing.

RRR at Orlando after that 'non loop' the rest of the ride has too many 'blocks' and it makes the ride very uneven. Basically 'stop and go'.

Imo, Mummy begins when you exit the treasure room. THe first time riding it you don't really expect the ride to be "not over" at the fake 'exit'. So that was unexpected and fun. Now as a multi-rider that 'thrill' is long gone as I know what to expect.

Still not a fan of I-305's sharp turns in the 2nd half. Hopefully this changes when I get to ride it again now that it has those softer restraints.

Volcano, yes as I've said, after getting launched out of the mountain, the ride just becomes 'uninspired' and a big disappointment after two thrilling launches. Even with those 3 heartline rolls, there is still enough 'energy' for another element, imo. THe break at the end just ends the ride way too soon.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/8/11 10:15:02 PM

> I think almost any coaster that has a break run, nothing
> really interesting happens after it.. Unless something
> DRAMATIC happens after the break run, like in Mystery Mine
> in Dollywood, or even The Italian Job (backlot stunt
> coaster) where there's a launch after the break run, and
> the 2nd half is actually more fun than the first half..

> Actually Manta in Sea World Florida has a pretty awesome
> 2nd half too.. Maybe a more relevant discussion is:
> "What coasters have a GOOD second half?"

> element... The drop itself is not great either.. SO it's a
> 3.0 in my mind.. After the 1st 2-3 times you ride it, it
> just doesn't do much.

> All B&M Hypers in my mind have a somewhat uneventful 2nd
> half.. Magnum FOR SURE has an extremely uneventful 3/4th
> after the 2nd drop.

> Other ones I can think of that have an exciting 2nd half:
> -Montu
> -Revenge of the Mummy
> -Sheikra/Griffon
> -I305
> -Riddler's&Green Lantern
> -Maverick

> Ones that have a boring 2nd half:
> -Hollywood RRR
> -Iron Wolf
> -Loch Ness Monster (despite the loop)
> -Anaconda @ KD..

> That's my 2cents worth..
> Tomes

> I have to say that I enjoyed Manta as well. Overall the
> ride is nice, the 'splash' portion was fun, I just wished
> the Superman's were somewhat like Manta.

> I'm biased for Montu, it is hands down my favorite invert
> so far. Sadly they have trims before entering the batwing,
> so that's disappointing.

> RRR at Orlando after that 'non loop' the rest of the ride
> has too many 'blocks' and it makes the ride very uneven.
> Basically 'stop and go'.

> Imo, Mummy begins when you exit the treasure room. THe
> first time riding it you don't really expect the ride to be
> "not over" at the fake 'exit'. So that was
> unexpected and fun. Now as a multi-rider that 'thrill' is
> long gone as I know what to expect.

> Still not a fan of I-305's sharp turns in the 2nd half.
> Hopefully this changes when I get to ride it again now that
> it has those softer restraints.

> Volcano, yes as I've said, after getting launched out of
> the mountain, the ride just becomes 'uninspired' and a big
> disappointment after two thrilling launches. Even with
> those 3 heartline rolls, there is still enough 'energy' for
> another element, imo. THe break at the end just ends the
> ride way too soon.

I have to disagree with the people that say Volcano is not a complete ride.I feel those 3 heartline rolls are unique because they are so slow and leave you hanging and then the ending is unique because it speeds up real fast right before the break!And then add the amazing two launches,one which shoots you straight up out of the volcano.This is just an amazing ride all the way through!!

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/8/11 10:54:36 PM

To me, if a ride has a double launch, that much power should be batter used than wasted. IF they were to rebuild that ride, they should expand towards the back and add some more stuff, a loop, or whatever - anything that better utilizes the power from the launch than having it all wasted by the breaks.

I still feel that the ride could've been better.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/8/11 11:42:32 PM

I love Volcano's second heartline roll, the one that gives the illusion that you're gonna crash on the side of mountain; IMO that element alone disqualifies Volcano's status for being anticlimactic which is a good thing, for me atleast. :)

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by alpengeistno3 at 9/9/11 12:44:37 AM

> Any coaster with a lift hill that leads to the station like
> Adventure Express at KI

> When I rode Adventure Express a few years ago I had no idea
> it ended after the lift hill. When we started going up I
> got so excited and there was theming on the way up making
> me think something good was coming. Then when we hit the
> station I thought WTF?! That is easily the most
> disappointing ending I have ever encountered.

> Jen

Has to be the biggest "joke" ending of any coaster ever created! I wonder if the people who were in charge of theming all those years ago still get a chuckle from 1st time riders' reactions.

Paul

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Tomes at 9/9/11 2:39:47 PM

I'm going to do something I usually don't do.. And TAKE BACK saying that Magnum has a boring 2nd half... lol.

I just thought about it, and I remember when I rode it all the way in the back, I thouroughly enjoyed those bunny hills and tunnels.. But if you ride it somewhere in the middle then they're not very eventful.

I fit into both categories, to be honest - give me high drops and "coming out of my seat" feeling and I love it. Look at El Toro - what an amazing amazing ride! Granted it does have a veriety of elements and twists, but I WISH it had some more hills as extreme as the ones following the first drop! And not to mention the first drop itself!! Wow.

But the reason why some of the B&M hypers are kind of boring during the 2nd half to me (except actually if you sit in the very front, then they're awesome to the end) is because after the break run, you have drops ranging from 20ft to 50ft, and the train only accelerates to about 40-45mph at the bottom of those drops. So imagine when the coaster opened, the lift hill would have taken you up to where the break run is located, and then dropped from there... That wouldn't be a very impressive ride, would it? 60-70ft tall with a max speed of let's say 53mph.. You wouldn't go rushing to wait in line for that one would you? But that's essentially what happens after the break run. So the 1st part of the ride has some consecutive drops over 100 feet tall, and the train goes REALLY fast at the bottom of them, upwards of 60-65mph (with the max speed being at the bottom of the 1st drop, around 80mph). THAT'S what you're waiting in line to experience! The break run is a HUGE loss of momentum.. And that's why many coaster's 2nd half is boring to me.

However, if instead of having hills that go almost as high as the train can go without rolling backwards, they would make the 2nd half full of sharp twists kind of like I305 and maybe a few low-to-the-ground bunny hills that REALLY make you come out of your seat, or a barrell roll all of the sudden - THAT would make for a fantastic 2nd half. But dropping 45ft to 43mph and then climbing up to almost a halt, and then dropping another 36ft to 40mph and climbing back up, and then dropping again 28ft etc.. Doesn't really excite me that much.

To me - Vocano is one AWESOME ride. Don't get me wrong - I would have loved for there to be a verticle loop right after the last drop and before the breaks, but from beginning to end, you're not being stopped by breaks and you feel the rush. Also with the barrel rolls being so high up, it's just exciting despite the fact that they're not particularly fast - especially with your feet dangling in the air!

Mike B. - Tatsu is FOR SURE wayyyy better than the supermans - not only because the pretzel loop is almost the last element, but also because it's higher and faster than Supermans, and keeps a decent pace throughout the ride building up to the pretzel loop - with several tight overbanked turns and a HUGE corkscrew. I only rode it once though, and I'd have to ride it again to compare it to Manta, because as of right now, I think Manta wins.

So there - that's my opinion. Don't get me wrong - I'm probably an intensity person, but excitement is also up my alley. And as I ride more and more roller coasters, the margin of what excites me just keeps going up and it's unfortunate.. But we can't control it because it's a chemical reaction in your body. Also riding the same ride over and over makes it less exciting for me. But for instance, after a long time of not riding coasters - like all winter - the margin goes back down and the first ride is always amazing.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/9/11 8:17:11 PM

> I'm going to do something I usually don't do.. And TAKE
> BACK saying that Magnum has a boring 2nd half... lol.

> I just thought about it, and I remember when I rode it all
> the way in the back, I thouroughly enjoyed those bunny
> hills and tunnels..

Don't worry about taking back an opinion if you have to; I do that quite often on URC, remember no one is perfect on URC. If I had a dollar for the many times that I've said "my bad, you're right" to an URCer, I'd be making millions. LMAO.

> But the reason why some of the B&M hypers are kind of
> boring during the 2nd half to me

I'm with ya on that. IMO the only B&M hyper that had an okay 2nd half was Nitro. IMO Apollo's Chariot, and SFOG's Goliath 2nd halves were lackluster at best.

> However, if instead of having hills that go almost as high
> as the train can go without rolling backwards, they would
> make the 2nd half full of sharp twists kind of like I305
> and maybe a few low-to-the-ground bunny hills that REALLY
> make you come out of your seat, or a barrell roll all of
> the sudden

Unless someone comes out with a new prototype hyper that can have inversions, I doubt if you see any barrels rolls on a hyper ever. Non-looping hypers are all about airtime and steep drops. Dive Machines can invert, and they have controlled very steep drops.

> To me - Vocano is one AWESOME ride. Don't get me wrong - I
> would have loved for there to be a verticle loop right
> after the last drop and before the breaks, but from
> beginning to end, you're not being stopped by breaks and
> you feel the rush.

I agree that those heartline rolls are a lil' redundant, and it would've been nice to have the fourth inversion be something else besides another heartline roll. With that said, I agree that Volcano is a pretty damn awesome ride. :)

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Franchise at 9/11/11 10:28:31 PM

-Mean Streak....referring to that really long ending after the lift hill, LOL.

-Comet(Hershey)....station turnaround brakes keep the second half of the ride more appealing to families, if the trims were removed this coaster might be as good as the Phoenix

-Raging Wolf Bobs....were there any hills at the end of the ride at all? It seemed like just flat track.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by drachen drachen Profile at 9/12/11 2:25:09 PM

> -Mean Streak....referring to that really long ending after
> the lift hill, LOL.

That's funny.

> -Comet(Hershey)....station turnaround brakes keep the
> second half of the ride more appealing to families, if the
> trims were removed this coaster might be as good as the
> Phoenix

While I can't say that the Comet's ending isn't fun, it is definitely not as good as it could be. I whole-heartedly agree that without that above-the-station trim, it would be very similar to the Phoenix.

While in Hershey, I will say that the coaster with the most disappointing, anticlimactic ending of all of the ones I've ridden is definitely Storm Runner. The ride is great and feels like it's just getting going and then WHAM! - brakes.

Great Bear is another one that gets beat up because of its ending. I don't hold the ending against the ride. I understand that it can't do much at the end, as it needs all of that momentum to get back to the station. It's tame ending is simply a function of its location. And I like it's location.

Volcano has been discussed here. But I actually like how it dives back into the mountain and into the brakes.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 9/12/11 4:09:36 PM

I love Volcano's ending also!! Very unique to speed up at the end of the ride!!

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 9/12/11 4:13:09 PM

I love squirrels' remark about the "excitement" vs "intensity" crowds but I prefer to think of myself somewhere in the middle. A little bit of both seems to run through my veins.

Surprised no one mentioned the two most hated rides around - first is Son of Beast. After the looong mid-course of boredeom the ride did nothing, even with the loop still there.

Second is Mean Streak but we all know how we feel about that one. I always liked the drop off the mid-course but after that it just meanders the rest of the way back to the final brakes.

Some people mention the lift ending of Adventure Express as anticlimatic but what about Magic Mountain's Ninja?

G-Dog

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/12/11 9:13:03 PM

> I love squirrels' remark about the "excitement"
> vs "intensity" crowds but I prefer to think of
> myself somewhere in the middle. A little bit of both seems
> to run through my veins.

> Surprised no one mentioned the two most hated rides around
> - first is Son of Beast. After the looong mid-course of
> boredeom the ride did nothing, even with the loop still
> there.

> Second is Mean Streak but we all know how we feel about
> that one. I always liked the drop off the mid-course but
> after that it just meanders the rest of the way back to the
> final brakes.

> Some people mention the lift ending of Adventure Express as
> anticlimatic but what about Magic Mountain's Ninja?

> G-Dog

I'll second that about Ninja - when I first rode it I was expecting there to be something (like the big drop was on BBW, perhaps) special after the 2nd lift, not the brake run! That is the first coaster that comes to mind for me. I really don't remember Adventure Express (had to to on rcdb.com to refresh my memory) at all from my trip to KI several years ago, so I'm sure it must have been very forgettable for me to not remember anything about it.

Others would include the Raven at HW, I swear it always feels like there should be more to it than that. All that great energy is wasted slamming to a stop at the brake run when it seems as though there could have been more. I sort of feel the same way about I-305 - the way it slams to a hard stop on that down-sloping brake run (and my only rides on it so far have been last year when it had the trims on the lift!) it seems that it could have maybe had another bunny hop or two somewhere. For some odd reason I don't feel that way about MF, even though it too also stops hard (as do many coasters, but only a few feel like they are missing something to me). Some coasters feel like they expend their energy all thru the ride but others seem like they have some left over when they hit the brakes.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Tomes at 9/13/11 11:33:06 AM

I think some people are kind of missing the point of this thread:
We're talking about coasters that have a break run mid-way or at any point during the coaster, and then the rest of the ride is kind of lame.

Storm Runner is the EXACT OPPOSITE of that. If there is one ride that does NOT fit into this category it's storm Runner (or TTD, KK etc). Yeah, it would be nice if it was longer, of course, but that's the thing - It's one awesome rush from beginning to end until it slams into the breaks, leaving you with a feeling that you want more! When you get off the ride you're like, WOW, LET'S DO IT AGAIN! Same with I305 - what an amazing pace throughout the ride, then - boom. It's over. You wanna do it again right away! As opposed to some of the coasters that after the mid-course break run are just kind of like ehhh.... Ok... Doesn't make you scream, doesn't make you go "HOLY SH**!!" etc.

Of course I305 could have some more bunny hops that would make you fly out of your seat before hitting the breaks, Volcano and Storm runner could have another few elements - so could TTD! Going at around 100mph, it could have had a whole Millennium Force after the tower. And Millenium Force slamming into the breaks at 65mph could have a whole Kraken before hitting the breaks.. It could go TTD-->MF-->Kraken. Wouldn't that be an awesome ride? But that would mean more money spent for the parks, and could go into another thread called "Coasters that should be longer". But they don't fit in this thread.

PS, in regards to my previous comment, I know there are no inversions on hyper coasters... But I think if B&M were a little more brave, we could see a little barrell roll or a 0-g roll towards the end of a hyper because the restraints obviously work to keep you from coming out of your seat and it wouldn't be uncomfortable at all.. Just saying.. (Not that i think it's going to happen but I think it's physically possible)

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/13/11 12:08:15 PM

> I think some people are kind of missing the point of this
> thread:
> We're talking about coasters that have a break run mid-way
> or at any point during the coaster, and then the rest of
> the ride is kind of lame.

> Storm Runner is the EXACT OPPOSITE of that. If there is one
> ride that does NOT fit into this category it's storm Runner
> (or TTD, KK etc). Yeah, it would be nice if it was longer,
> of course, but that's the thing - It's one awesome rush
> from beginning to end until it slams into the breaks,
> leaving you with a feeling that you want more! When you get
> off the ride you're like, WOW, LET'S DO IT AGAIN! Same with
> I305 - what an amazing pace throughout the ride, then -
> boom. It's over. You wanna do it again right away! As
> opposed to some of the coasters that after the mid-course
> break run are just kind of like ehhh.... Ok... Doesn't make
> you scream, doesn't make you go "HOLY SH**!!"
> etc.

I thought the exact same thing while reading some of the comments, especially on Storm Runner. Just because it ends before you want it to (don't they all?) doesn't make the ending anti-climatic. If anything, for a launched top-hat coaster, it has more elements than most after the decent.

Jen

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/13/11 12:28:13 PM

>> Just because it ends
> before you want it to (don't they all?)

No.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by drachen drachen Profile at 9/13/11 1:14:55 PM

> I think some people are kind of missing the point of this
> thread:
> We're talking about coasters that have a break run mid-way
> or at any point during the coaster, and then the rest of
> the ride is kind of lame.

I know the original poster mentioned a mid-course break run, but I don't feel that one is necessary for a coaster to be anticlimactic.

> Storm Runner is the EXACT OPPOSITE of that. If there is one
> ride that does NOT fit into this category it's storm Runner
> (or TTD, KK etc). Yeah, it would be nice if it was longer,
> of course, but that's the thing - It's one awesome rush
> from beginning to end until it slams into the breaks,
> leaving you with a feeling that you want more! When you get
> off the ride you're like, WOW, LET'S DO IT AGAIN! Same with
> I305 - what an amazing pace throughout the ride, then -
> boom. It's over. You wanna do it again right away! As
> opposed to some of the coasters that after the mid-course
> break run are just kind of like ehhh.... Ok... Doesn't make
> you scream, doesn't make you go "HOLY SH**!!"
> etc.

Anticlimactic is defined as "A decline viewed in disappointing contrast with a previous rise". That is Storm Runner in a nut-shell for me.

It was fun the first time I rode it, but even then as I hit the brakes, I was like "That's it?" As I've ridden it more and more, that feeling is just magnified.

Despite how good most coasters are, the finish is very important. It's what sticks in our minds the most as we hit the brakes. Storm Runner doesn't have an ending. It just ends.

> I thought the exact same thing while reading some of the
> comments, especially on Storm Runner. Just because it ends
> before you want it to (don't they all?) doesn't make the
> ending anti-climatic. If anything, for a launched top-hat
> coaster, it has more elements than most after the decent.

Sure it does more than Dragster or Ka, but it is not the same ride. Storm Runner is a multi-element coaster that happens to launch instead of using a traditional lift. It should be longer, with a better ending. If that were the case, it would be one of my favorite coasters, because the beginning is fantastic.

Re: Coasters with Anticlimactic Endings by Tomes at 9/13/11 5:30:50 PM

We are just discussing.. I hope nobody is getting angry of offended.

But anyway, what I mean is that - well, of course when you hit the breaks it's no fun... The fun of the ride is going fast/getting air/getting spun/inverting etc. To me, the breaks is not a "decline" it's an abrupt end. I mean - yeah, technicall your velocity is declining until it comes to a complete stop, just because if at the end you would stop suddenly, like, crash into a wall, then it wouldn't be a very fun ride, but the breaks aren't SUPPOSED to be a part of the fun. They're just the end of the ride. So in that sense, every coaster has an 'anticlimactic' ending. How I interpreted this thread is "What coasters lose their fun BEFORE hitting the breaks at the end of the ride" and in that context, I don't think Storm Runner fits in.

Like, what coasters make you think "OH MY GOD!!" "YEAH!!" "THIS IS AWESOME!" And then at one point during the ride you're still moving, and still going through elements and features, but you're thinking "Oh man, that FIRST part was awesome!"