Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Mystique of Coaster Names

The Mystique of Coaster Names

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
9/5/11 at
8:03:36 AM

I have a theory on why coasters are named what they are named; Whether a coaster has an unique name (Montu, Mystery Mine etc), or a Six Flags regurgitated name (Batman, Superman etc) there seems to be a mystique about both types.

Unique named coasters: Is a coaster that usually has a custom layout. They more than likey will have a tunnel or two. Well placed theming is usually common on these coasters. Trees, and terrain can come into play concerning the experience on these coasters.

Regurgitated named coasters: Is a coaster that's built to meet the GP quota concerning thrills. It's probably slapped up nearby a parking lot. You'll be lucky if you see any tunnels or trees. These coasters are usually very weakly themed. You are more than likely situated on a flat piece of land.

I was shocked concerning the recent SF names. Goliath(SFNE) formerly Deja Vu at SFMM; X-Flight(SFGAm) a coaster name that the old park Geauga Lake had used (now Firehawk at KI) and the straw that broke the camel's back, Superman: Ultimate Flight(SFDK) a brand new coaster with an unique layout (non-inverting loop, and inline-twist).

Please, spare me the obligatory post saying "Well to the GP, it doesn't matter what a coaster's name is, as long as.....blah, blah, blah, blah". I'm not gonna take it anymore! Stop defending these regurgitated coaster names! It's really ridiculous concerning the lack of creativity that some parks (mainly Six Flags) have. Well, atleast we all know why coasters are named what they're named; There's the mystique. :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The Mystique of Coaster Names by squirrels at 9/5/11 9:51:14 AM

http://www.thecoastercritic.com/2011/08/top-3-common-roller-coaster-name-themes.html

I've personally never been a fan of "corporate theming"...buying or selling rights to names...for one very big reason: if the deal for the theming is lost or cancelled, you have to RE-theme everything and a lot of it seems VERY silly.

For example, look at Kings Dominion when they lost their Paramount license. Certain rides were designed completely around the theming...the "Italian Job" coaster, for example, was designed specifically to promote the movie and when Paramount sold the park, they renamed it to "Backlot Stunt Coaster" and tried to theme it as the rider being a Hollywood stunt driver. The ride isn't that bad itself...for what it is...but the effects and theming just have you shaking your head wondering, "WTF were they thinking??"

They also had a whole section of the park devoted to "Wayne's World"...and when Paramount sold the park, that entire section of the park, which used to be complete with scenes and props from the movies, seems somewhat out-of-place.

I worry about what would happen with Six Flags if the DC comics deal fell through. Fortunately, at least looking at GrAdv, they don't have the park ITSELF too themed-up around the DC Superheros and none of the rides are so theming-dependent that losing the name would hurt them that much. Except the ones that no one likes anyway...i.e. the "big grey box". :p

Re: The Mystique of Coaster Names by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/5/11 11:22:48 AM

> I've personally never been a fan of "corporate
> theming"...buying or selling rights to names...for one
> very big reason: if the deal for the theming is lost or
> cancelled, you have to RE-theme everything and a lot of it
> seems VERY silly.

I totally agree. Thanks for the coastercritic link. That's some good stuff on there.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: The Mystique of Coaster Names by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 9/5/11 12:44:40 PM

Except that in the SF naming, How many different ways can you name SUPERMAN and make it sound cool.

There is one Champion in Naming and thats, THE BEAST. You really can't pick a better name for a wooden coaster that at the time built was the Longest, Baddest, Tallest, Fastest of any coaster at the time it was built.

BTW, CHAMPION was its code name while building.

Re: The Mystique of Coaster Names by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/5/11 1:22:39 PM

Apparently six different ways LOL.

The Supermen; El Ultimo Escape, Escape from Krypton, Krypton Coaster, Ride of Steel, The Escape, and Ultimate Flight.

Hell, it's getting to the point when in the old days, I was actually accepting the facsimile names as long as the coaster type is the same; SF has gotten so bad now that different types of coasters are playing the copycat name game. It's like 2014 SF's first Robotic Coaster on rails, the name? Superman: Ultimate Flight(SFOT) LOL.