Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here???

OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here???

Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile

Posted:
8/31/11 at
3:11:08 PM

Whenever I click on a post to read it, this annoying Verizon banner ad appears covering part of the text, making it very difficult to read it and there seems to be no way of either closing it or dragging it off to the side. Is there any way of disabling that ad, or at least clicking it off??? When I right-click on it, there is no option to close it. Thanks.

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/31/11 3:24:33 PM

> Whenever I click on a post to read it, this annoying
> Verizon banner ad appears covering part of the text, making
> it very difficult to read it and there seems to be no way
> of either closing it or dragging it off to the side. Is
> there any way of disabling that ad, or at least clicking it
> off??? When I right-click on it, there is no option to
> close it. Thanks.

I see that a lot, whether it's a Verizon ad or something else. I'm not savvy enough to know if there's any way to circumvent the ad. What I do is hit "reply with quote" and read the non-visible part of the text in the new window.

The ads don't bother me. This is, of course, a free site, and the ads help keep it that way.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/31/11 3:43:15 PM

> Whenever I click on a post to read it, this annoying
> Verizon banner ad appears covering part of the text, making
> it very difficult to read it and there seems to be no way
> of either closing it or dragging it off to the side. Is
> there any way of disabling that ad, or at least clicking it
> off??? When I right-click on it, there is no option to
> close it. Thanks.

> I see that a lot, whether it's a Verizon ad or something
> else. I'm not savvy enough to know if there's any way to
> circumvent the ad. What I do is hit "reply with
> quote" and read the non-visible part of the text in
> thye new window.

> The ads don't bother me. This is, of course, a free site,
> and the ads help keep it that way.

> Mike
I know ads help keep websites free, but they should have it where the ads don't interfere with our usage of those sites. We should at least have the option of either clicking them off or dragging them, especially if they interfere with reading text or using other features on this or any website. Ads may keep websites free, but they make things VERY inconvenient.

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/31/11 4:36:14 PM

I agree 100%. Depending on the post they sometimes interfere. I do what Mike does and hit reply with quote to read it.

Jen

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/31/11 7:01:43 PM

Google "Adblock plus" - it's free, and works very well.

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/31/11 7:11:33 PM

Maybe if Eric Gieszl reads this thread, maybe he could hopefully at least fix the issue with the Verizon ad...

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by drachen drachen Profile at 8/31/11 7:18:10 PM

Try using a different browser. I used to use Explorer. I've noticed that whenever I use Chrome, the ads don't interfere. I'm slowly becoming a Chrome fan. It's free.

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/31/11 7:46:31 PM

> Try using a different browser. I used to use Explorer. I've
> noticed that whenever I use Chrome, the ads don't
> interfere. I'm slowly becoming a Chrome fan. It's free.
Lately I've been using Safari as my "default" browser. I have Chrome and Firefox already downloaded, so I'll try each one. I've never thought that the ad issue could actually be the browser.

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/3/11 3:47:12 PM

I love my Mac(book) but not Safari.
Chrome is "it" for me.
Very rarely, if I can't access something due to some peculiarity, Firefox handles it well.
Explorer? WTF is that?
;-)

Mike B.

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 9/3/11 7:03:19 PM

> Firefox handles it well. > Explorer? WTF is that?

I've been using Firefox for over a decade now, when it was called Netscape.

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/4/11 1:59:31 PM

You should email me your concerns, not post it here.

However, I'm unaware of any Verizon ad that blocks any part of the content. I would like a screenshot or more information about that so I can put an end to it immediately. The forums have minimally intrusive ads. What that means is that I've blocked things like pop-ups, pop-unders, floating ads, surveys, etc. Maybe expandable ads are not blocked and should be.

There is going to be an update coming to this site soon that will block the content from appearing if the user is using an ad blocker. This site is supported by ads and without them it wouldn't exist, BUT I don't want to have intrusive ad content on the forums.

You should always let me know when you come across something that is a problem. What browser and operating system are you using?

Re: OT: Any Way Of Disabling Ads On Here??? by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 9/4/11 8:20:56 PM

> You should email me your concerns, not post it here.

> However, I'm unaware of any Verizon ad that blocks any part
> of the content. I would like a screenshot or more
> information about that so I can put an end to it
> immediately. The forums have minimally intrusive ads. What
> that means is that I've blocked things like pop-ups,
> pop-unders, floating ads, surveys, etc. Maybe expandable
> ads are not blocked and should be.

> There is going to be an update coming to this site soon
> that will block the content from appearing if the user is
> using an ad blocker. This site is supported by ads and
> without them it wouldn't exist, BUT I don't want to have
> intrusive ad content on the forums.

> You should always let me know when you come across
> something that is a problem. What browser and operating
> system are you using?

I'm using Windows 7 (upgraded from Windows Vista) and over the last couple of months I've been switching back and forth between Safari and Google Chrome.