Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Stuck on a ride before?

Stuck on a ride before?

mugen828 mugen828 Profile

Posted:
8/31/11 at
9:21:16 AM

Went to Great Adventure yesterday (Tuesday). Started off good with 4 Nitro rides via re-rides and an empty station. Then on our fifth ride we got stuck just as we were about to exit the block breaks. About 2-3 rows were hanging down the hill exiting the break section.

Everything was going smooth on the ride prior to the breaks but when we hit the 2/3 course break run the train staggered awkwardly to a halt. It was strange but nothing too frightening. Then we saw the next train go up and it stopped at what one of the ride crew who came out to make sure we were ok said was, "the highest point it will go before stopping". I was kind of nervous about it being released down the drop. The break run on Nitro is NOT big enough for both trained to come to a stop on. They might fit on there together, but there would be a collision.

Anyway, either the computer or the ride op stopped the train about 15-20 feet before cresting the hill.

I took a snapshot of the 2nd, 3rd hill, and the hammerhead since we were stuck out there. None of the workers seemed to object to me whipping my phone out for the quick snap shot.

Photobucket

To get that picture bigger than the standard pic posted on here, I used the "html" code provided by photobucket, instead of the IMG tags.

So this poses a question, ever been stuck on a ride before? This was my first time being stuck, out of the station or coming into the station.

- mugen

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/31/11 9:55:25 AM

So that's how to get a great pic of Nitro LOL! How long were you stuck for? Did they get the ride moving or did you have to evacuate? I was stuck on Superman UF right before the station at the end of the ride there a few years ago and since I loathe that ride to begin with I was not happy - only rode it b/c a friend I was with never did. We were stuck about 15 - 20 minutes (which felt like days in that position).

Did you by any chance find out any info on KK? `Did you see them actually working on him? I'm going on Friday and I sure hope it's up by then.

Jen

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/31/11 10:24:46 AM

We got stuck on Boulderdash on Thursday. Talon earlier this year. Top Thrill Dragster and Batman at SF Over Georgia last year. Vortex and Flight of Fear at KI the year before. It happens once or twice a year.

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/31/11 10:39:30 AM

The only COASTER I've ever been stuck on for more than a minute or so was the Dipper at Geauga Lake in '07. Lift hill, baking sun, 98 degrees, for about 15 minutes. Not pleasant, I tells ya!

I was also stuck for about ten minutes each on Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion in Florida...on the same day! Funny thing about the former stoppage was that the boat and the audio stopped, but the animatronics did not. So I got to see a pirate lip-syncing a song and a mute dog barking.

Mike

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/31/11 12:17:30 PM

> So that's how to get a great pic of Nitro LOL!

Yep! I got more but this one was my favorite.

>How long
> were you stuck for? Did they get the ride moving or did you
> have to evacuate? I was stuck on Superman UF right before
> the station at the end of the ride there a few years ago
> and since I loathe that ride to begin with I was not happy
> - only rode it b/c a friend I was with never did. We were
> stuck about 15 - 20 minutes (which felt like days in that
> position).

> Did you by any chance find out any info on KK? `Did you see
> them actually working on him? I'm going on Friday and I
> sure hope it's up by then.

> Jen

About 10-15 minutes and nope, I did not find out any info on KK. We walked over and promptly turned when we saw the employee manning the trash can barrier lol. Also, Green Lantern was down all day from what I believe, even though it was testing in the morning.

We actually got back to moving. The restart horn sounded once or twice and then the breaks let go and we actually had plenty of momentum to get back. I thought it would be sketchy since the first 3 rows were off the breaks already. Overall it was a cool experience.

Something strange happened too, as we left the golden kingdom a tie & shirt (yeah, I call management that) closed the doors to the golden kingdom at like....1:00pm. I was confused. I mean I get if KK is down for the day, but closing entrances off is annoying, even if there is more than one way in. (they closed the boardwalk > golden kingdom entrance.)

I didn't get a chance to really look at your man LOL, so sorry about that. Just gave him a fist pound from the distance haha.

- mugen

Here are the only other ones I got while stuck, I didn't wanna seem like it was a photo session, but I have to admit, I got so excited when I pulled my iphone out and no one said anything. The only thing I wish happened was that I got stuck up top!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by alpengeistno3 at 8/31/11 11:58:45 PM

(Warning long reply)
I remember posting this on another thread YEARS ago, so who knows if it is even searchable.

1. Loch Ness - My brother and I were on a Rec center trip to Busch Gardens. We were on the 3rd train out in the front row and the ride got set up (Loch Ness can on stack 2 trains, so the 3rd gets stopped on the 2nd lift if the crew is slow dispatching.) The 2nd train was dispatched before could restart the lift and the control panel op failed to stop the train before it crested the lift. Result: Block set-up that can only be cleared by maintenance. We get evaced off the lift and receive a "Golden Ticket" to come back any day.

2. Loch Ness (again) I got stuck on Loch Ness again years later, but this time, I was on the train that cleared the 1st lift while one was still set up on the 2nd lift. Boom, block set up. Now, most coasters can be restarted from the block brake, but I found out (from riding in the back) that the trim brakes on the drop leading into the loop take so much momentum off the train that the back 2 cars will not even stop on the block brake platform when the ride sets up there. Maintenance had to come and winch the train up onto the platform, then push it into the mountain (yes, 2 guys grabbed hold of the side of the train and ran to the end of the brake run to get enough momentum to get us clear of the platform. Not the last time I have been pushed by maintenance in a coaster train.) No evac, not even a ticket this time, but it taught me a lot about how coaster control systems work, long before I ever worked at Busch.

3. Drachen Fire- nothing special. We got to the end of the ride and stacked on the final brake run (3rd of the 3 trains). The ride was shut down and they came and got us out. Got to walk the length of the brake run. No big deal.

4. Flight of Fear = This is the biggie. We launched and I could tell that something was wrong. It felt like the lims cut as soon as we cleared the station and we were slowing down instead of speeding up. First thing that crossed my mind, "Rollback, baby :)!! Alas, just as we entered the spaghetti bowl, the brakes kicked in and we stopped right at the base of the cobra roll. Rollback DENIED!!! The lights came on and a manager came out to "explain the situation". I didn't bother to ask why we stopped, I was to busy admiring how supports were twisted and contorted to fit into the building, comparing it to the less constrained Joker's Jinx. Oh yeah, there were dust bunnies the size of Texas tumbleweed in there. Swiffer anyone? Well, maintenance showed up and released the brakes then 2 of them, the manager and a cast member who came along as a lackey took hold of the train and pushed us back down the launch track back to the station. Got an exit pass on what was a pretty slow day, but I did finally get to see what it was like if you got off FOF "right after the launch." (a running joke when the ride still had the shoulder harnesses.)

5. Scream Machine/Flight of Fear/Anaconda- I lumped all there together because it was the same situation. Set up on the mid course brake. All 3 rides were known for coming to a complete stop on the brake at times, so I expected to keep going. To my surprise, the train did not proceed and the whole platform would just jerk back and forth (last week's earthquake reminded me of EXACTLY that feeling.) None of these were long shut downs (back on the way in 5-10 minutes, but the restart panel for Scream Machine was actually on the block brake platform, so we had to wait for an op to run up the staircase before we could continue. Poor guy was winded like he ran the marathon :)

6. Dark Knight - Mike (Beastmaster) will appreciate this one. It was opening day and I decided that since I missed the "running of the bulls" to Nitro (both Toro and Ka were not open), I would take a pity ride on Dark Knight since it was probably the shortest the 1 year old rides line would be all day. I was around 3rd or 4th in the show room. We go through the whole dog and pony show before the open the doors and they are still cycling trains. They then get the brilliant idea to add some once we enter. So I end up waiting for another 10 mins or so before boarding. The ride sucked, as usual, but I remember something seeming wrong as we went through the ride (can remember now). Anyway, we get to the brake run and just before making the final turn to the station, we stop. Then it happens. Another car stops behind us, then another on the brake run before that, another, and another until it is clear the ride is shut down. So we sit there for what seemed an eternity, right under the speaker that says "once you enter the station, exit quickly to the right..." every 30 seconds!! Finally we see people being let out of the cars on the higher scaffolding. A new cast member (clearly his 1st day comes to talk to us. The problem, he is on the ground because Great Adventure did not see the need to build a scaffold on the final brake run of a Wild Mouse!!!!) So with the speaker blaring in our ears, we couldn't hear anything he was saying every 30 seconds. (did I mention that the car behind us got treated to the horn honking from the truck prop every 30 seconds. They were hating life, too.) So after doing all the easy evacs from the parts of the ride with scaffolding, maintenance comes to get us with a 10 foot Home Depot ladder. We are freed and "Mr Newbie" is looking for someone to tell him where to take us. So we go walking all around the base of the ride until he happens upon a door. He pushes it open, realizes it leads out to the midway and says, "Sorry, have a Six Flags Day!" We were all pretty pissed, so we all went over to Batman the Ride. When we are in line, "Mr. Newbie" comes running up the flash pass entrance saying "were you guys on Dark Knight? You have to come with me NOW!!" We were like "WTH", but went back to the ride with him (and walked past the 100 or so people who were now waiting in line for the still shut down ride getting glares of death. We go up the station and all the managers are there saying we needed to fill out an "accident report" so we could get our exit passes. We were wondering why they had to have us get out of line to do this and the suits said "Mr Newbie" was supposed to take us to the station. Not to worry, he would take us back to Batman TR without having to wait in line. We sign the form (basically said we were not injured and would not sue got our exit passes and got led up the flash pass exit for Batman TR. The exit passes turned out to be useless. The weren't good for El Toro or KK (which never opened due the high winds) and being a cold day at the beginning of April, all the other rides were walk ons for the rest of the day. You will have to read my full trip report about the disaster that was opening day at Gradv 2009, but let's just say the only other choices were Scream Machine, Runaway Train, Skull Mountain, Batman TR, and Rolling Thunder. No Nitro, Medusa (still being "Bizarroed"), Superman, Blackbeard, or Ka (and Toro was only running 1 train).

This was long, but I think entertaining :)
Paul

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by squirrels at 9/1/11 6:52:19 AM

Those are some awesome pictures.

I've seen rides get stuck plenty of times, but never been stuck on one.

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/2/11 2:51:25 PM

alpengeistno3, cool stories :)

I have been stuck on the final break runs of coasters, right before the station, and even fell back 5 feet/stopped on the el toro lift hill this season. This was the first time I was stuck IN the circuit. It's only fitting it was on my favorite coaster and it was sooooo awesome to snap those pics. I've been on Nitro so many times I am really surprised I have only been stuck mid circuit once.

- mugen

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by joem2000 at 9/2/11 3:28:14 PM

I got stuck on the Wizzy Dizzy at Pleasurewood Hills UK, everybodys harnesses came up except our row of seats; it took ten minutes to get us out i dunno why but i felf embarriest :/...

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by alpengeistno3 at 9/2/11 10:54:42 PM

Thanks, Mugen. I'm trying to figure out how you got set-up on Nitro's block brake. From the experience of operating Alpengeist for 2 years, I can tell you it is very difficult for Beemers to get set-up, especially in a cascade shut down with the other train getting "crowned" by the safety system. Just doesn't happen during normal operation.

The part of the DK story I left out was I found out Nitro was down after leaving Batman TR. I noticed only 1 train in the station, no 2nd or 3rd train in sight. I went to go see if it was stuck on the block brake or at the end of the brake run by going around by the flash pass entrance. The attendant saw me looking and asked me, "are you trying to see where it got stuck?" I said "sure" expecting for her to say the block brake. She points out to the woods near the hammerhead turn and said, "they sent it out for one last test run and it never came back." I said, "REALLY?!?!" not believing that a B&M like Nitro could valley, even on a fairly cold day. She said, "it was pretty windy and it went up in the turn and rolled back."

Well, I was floored!! First, that maintenance would run the ride within minutes of loading (there were still people waiting in the station so they must have planned to open the ride before the rollback)if there was any possibility of it valleying. And second that this ride op was telling me all of this without me really asking. (Busch rule number one for shut downs...NEVER tell the guest exactly what is wrong.)

It was a REALLY bad opening day for Gradv with Blackbeard rolling back, Superman having to be evacuated, Ka down due to the wind, Toro running one train, no Medusa because the were still transforming her into Bizarro and the aforementioned DK fiasco.

Paul

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/2/11 11:51:21 PM

> It was a REALLY bad opening day for Gradv with Blackbeard
> rolling back,

Wasn't that the kiddie coaster you made me ride? Of course it rolled back - it's top speed is 5 mph and if too many adults are on it for credits it probably can't make it over the slight incline - LOL! :~)

Jen

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/3/11 1:55:47 AM

I got stuck on Dominator (after it had been moved to KD) on the lift hill for about 20 minutes. Luckily it wasn't too hot of a day but the sun was right in my eyes due to the angle of the lift hill. The only thing my friend and I were worried about was the thought of having to get off on the hill if they were unable to get the train to move. We were in the middle two seats and obviously there's nothing to get off onto on a floorless. Especially since one of the ride ops and a maintenance man came up a couple of times and told us there were working on the problem. That made me wonder if they would be able to get it moving, but they finally did.

The only other ride we (was with the same friend) got stuck on was the Chaos at HP (I think it was at HP, as not too many parks have that flat ride anymore). When the ride came to an end, they were unable to lower it to the ground so they could let people off, and it was plenty hot sitting there baking in the sun. Not only that, the car we were in was hanging at fairly tilted angle and it was getting pretty uncomfortable. I'd say we were stuck there for maybe 15 or 20 mins.

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by alpengeistno3 at 9/3/11 3:39:36 PM

> It was a REALLY bad opening day for Gradv with Blackbeard
> rolling back,

> Wasn't that the kiddie coaster you made me ride? Of course
> it rolled back - it's top speed is 5 mph and if too many
> adults are on it for credits it probably can't make it over
> the slight incline - LOL! :~)

> Jen

Ironically, this was before the park had opened. I was watching them test the ride before the rope dropped. It went up the hill, maybe half of the massive train, then rolled back down. Since the ride uses a tire lift, I thought they were just testing SOMETHING (what I don't know!) It did it again and then a third time before I had realized that the rope had already dropped. (leading me to make the decision to go to DK 1st instead of Nitro and meet my "fate".) The ride never opened during that day.

And again, a coaster with a 30 cars IS NOT A KIDDIE RIDE!!!!! :)

Paul

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/3/11 4:01:14 PM

> And again, a coaster with a 30 cars IS NOT A KIDDIE
> RIDE!!!!! :)

> Paul

LMAO! (yes it is)

This could go on FOREVER LOL!

Jen

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/6/11 8:55:22 AM

> And again, a coaster with a 30 cars IS NOT A KIDDIE
> RIDE!!!!! :)

> Paul

> LMAO! (yes it is)

> This could go on FOREVER LOL!

> Jen

Nah, because it's two against one. Gee hasn't chimed in (for others' edification, she didn't ride Blackbeard)...and neither
has anyone who was NOT with us that day.

Mike

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/6/11 5:42:03 PM

Alpengiest sorry for no response from me right away. I was on a trip! A coaster one at that ;) (tr coming soon!)

The weird part about the whole thing was that we almost left the block brake. The first 3-4 rows were going down the hill, so I was surprised to have such a smooth ride back when they finally released the train.

The attendant only confirmed that the other train, as in the one picture, is as high as it will ever go before being stopped. Not sure how much of that is true but it's what I was told. He did comment and say that he had one valley before in the camel backs before the end of the ride. I'm not sure if they got stuck on the block brakes, then got released, and didn't have enough force, or what. But he informed us the engineers would pull us back to the block break via a wench if that happened. He said it happened once before while he was working. The ride attendant was only 16, pretty sure it was his first season (great kid) so I;m sure there have been a lot of other vallies and such, he just hasn't witnessed them.

- mugen

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by alpengeistno3 at 9/6/11 6:42:28 PM

> Alpengiest sorry for no response from me right away. I was
> on a trip! A coaster one at that ;) (tr coming soon!)

Hey, no problem for being away on a coaster trip. Wish I was on one, but I'm back at work with the kiddies.

> The weird part about the whole thing was that we almost
> left the block brake. The first 3-4 rows were going down
> the hill, so I was surprised to have such a smooth ride
> back when they finally released the train.

Now that is weird. There is a set of sensors in the block brake pad that measure the train's speed and location. If the main brake block is occupied, the brakes should have closed shut as soon as the front car hit the 1st pad, which should have been enough to stop the train. What you guys had was a "block breach", where most likely a ride stop was activated while the train was on the block. That caused the brakes to activate late, allowing the first 3 rows to "penetrate" C-block. I guess when they restarted the ride, the computer refused to clear the train because it was between blocks, but the other was allowed to climb the lift before the safety system recognized that B-block was still occupied. I guess the ops didn't realize that you guys didn't restart until the safety system shut the lift down. (it is odd that the ride would even restart at all with you guys stuck there.)

> The attendant only confirmed that the other train, as in
> the one picture, is as high as it will ever go before being
> stopped. Not sure how much of that is true but it's what I
> was told. He did comment and say that he had one valley
> before in the camel backs before the end of the ride. I'm
> not sure if they got stuck on the block brakes, then got
> released, and didn't have enough force, or what. But he
> informed us the engineers would pull us back to the block
> break via a wench if that happened. He said it happened
> once before while he was working. The ride attendant was
> only 16, pretty sure it was his first season (great kid) so
> I;m sure there have been a lot of other valleys and such,
> he just hasn't witnessed them.

That is correct. Most coasters' safety system will shut the lift down several feet before the 1st car completely reaches the crown. It makes evacuation easier that way if it doesn't restart. Do you know if the train stuck on the lift was loaded?

I'll have to look at Nitro's block brake next time I am there. I never noticed a wench, but I always thought the triangular shaped supports looked weird for a basically straight line of camelbacks. (seemed like there were going over something). Maybe that could be what it was.

Paul

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/6/11 9:02:37 PM

> Alpengiest sorry for no response from me right away. I was
> on a trip! A coaster one at that ;) (tr coming soon!)

> Hey, no problem for being away on a coaster trip. Wish I
> was on one, but I'm back at work with the kiddies.

> The weird part about the whole thing was that we almost
> left the block brake. The first 3-4 rows were going down
> the hill, so I was surprised to have such a smooth ride
> back when they finally released the train.

> Now that is weird. There is a set of sensors in the block
> brake pad that measure the train's speed and location. If
> the main brake block is occupied, the brakes should have
> closed shut as soon as the front car hit the 1st pad, which
> should have been enough to stop the train. What you guys
> had was a "block breach", where most likely a
> ride stop was activated while the train was on the block.
> That caused the brakes to activate late, allowing the first
> 3 rows to "penetrate" C-block. I guess when they
> restarted the ride, the computer refused to clear the train
> because it was between blocks, but the other was allowed to
> climb the lift before the safety system recognized that
> B-block was still occupied. I guess the ops didn't realize
> that you guys didn't restart until the safety system shut
> the lift down. (it is odd that the ride would even restart
> at all with you guys stuck there.)

> The attendant only confirmed that the other train, as in
> the one picture, is as high as it will ever go before being
> stopped. Not sure how much of that is true but it's what I
> was told. He did comment and say that he had one valley
> before in the camel backs before the end of the ride. I'm
> not sure if they got stuck on the block brakes, then got
> released, and didn't have enough force, or what. But he
> informed us the engineers would pull us back to the block
> break via a wench if that happened. He said it happened
> once before while he was working. The ride attendant was
> only 16, pretty sure it was his first season (great kid) so
> I;m sure there have been a lot of other valleys and such,
> he just hasn't witnessed them.

> That is correct. Most coasters' safety system will shut the
> lift down several feet before the 1st car completely
> reaches the crown. It makes evacuation easier that way if
> it doesn't restart. Do you know if the train stuck on the
> lift was loaded?

> I'll have to look at Nitro's block brake next time I am
> there. I never noticed a wench, but I always thought the
> triangular shaped supports looked weird for a basically
> straight line of camelbacks. (seemed like there were going
> over something). Maybe that could be what it was.

> Paul
>

The train was loaded. I saw a ride op head up to calm them down, plus we could see them with their hands up and stuff. They did not go until we hit the brakes before the station.

Also, this may be worth noting, may not be, they sounded the "restart horn" twice. The second time is when the train starting moving with the release of the breaks.

I thought it was a weird stoppage, as in we got stuck at the block brakes, and late. And the other train stopped at the highest point.

If there a manual way to stop the train at the block brakes? Could have been a slip of a finger or something? Or maybe the computer didn't think my train was gonna make it back, or that something occurred and caused it to catch us just in time on the block brakes.

- mugen

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by alpengeistno3 at 9/6/11 11:32:25 PM

> If there a manual way to stop the train at the block
> brakes? Could have been a slip of a finger or something? Or
> maybe the computer didn't think my train was gonna make it
> back, or that something occurred and caused it to catch us
> just in time on the block brakes.

> - mugen

There are 2. There is an E-stop button on the main control panel. Shuts down the ride and cuts power so nothing works. The other is the ride stop button, which does the same, but does not cut power. This would allow you to get stuck, but the lift can still be restarted using the lift start button at the base of the lift.

On the B&M inverteds (I've seen Great Bear and Talon's control panel in addition to Alpengeist's and they are mostly identical), there are no individual controls for each brake in Auto/Run mode (on older Arrow's and wooden coasters there are.) So they could not have stranded you up there without stopping the entire ride. Upon restart, the ride should have continued normal operation automatically (unless there was a fault, which should have shut it down). There is a possibility that the hypers are different, but from what I have seen getting a glimpse at Nitro's panel on the way down the exit ramp, the same is true.

Paul

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/7/11 8:43:00 AM

mugen: "would pull us back to the block
> break via a wench"

Paul: "I never noticed a wench"

But the question is: How much does the wench get paid? And is she cute?

Mike

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by alpengeistno3 at 9/7/11 10:09:46 AM

> mugen: "would pull us back to the block
> break via a wench"

> Paul: "I never noticed a wench"

> But the question is: How much does the wench get paid? And
> is she cute?

> Mike
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Does Jersey have a Renn Faire, Mike? If not, maybe they will one from MD or PA. (I thought that looked funny, but I went with it in my reply!)

Paul

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 9/7/11 10:45:11 AM

> mugen: "would pull us back to the block
> break via a wench"

> Paul: "I never noticed a wench"

> But the question is: How much does the wench get paid? And
> is she cute?

> Mike
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

> Does Jersey have a Renn Faire, Mike? If not, maybe they
> will one from MD or PA. (I thought that looked funny, but I
> went with it in my reply!)

> Paul

Not to the best of my knowledge, but there's a major one at Sterling Forest in NY. And the parks are filled with them at Halloween time! When Judy and I were at Hershey a couple years ago, we saw plenty...

Re: Stuck on a ride before? by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 9/7/11 4:39:18 PM

> And the parks are filled with them
> at Halloween time! When Judy and I were at Hershey a couple
> years ago, we saw plenty...

Better ye, Mike personally knows a coaster-riding wench named Kia. It doesn't get any better than that!