Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End of summer coaster trip Part 3

End of summer coaster trip Part 3

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
8/27/11 at
6:48:23 PM

Friday morning we woke up and headed to Lakemont Park. We only live 2 hours away but we've never been there. We arrived at the park at 11:00. Paid$ $20 total for the 4 of us to get in. We headed over to Skyliner. We took the front seat. I wasn't expecting much but we were in for a real treat. This small classic coaster is smooth and has totally out of your seat air time on every drop. We then tried the back seat and fell in love with it. We rode it a total of 7 times, most of which were in the back seat. It's not going to make my top 10 but I liked it better than some of the coasters I've added this year like Cornball Express or Hellcat. The kids loved especially my daughter.

We headed over to Toboggan. It was very unique. I never rode anything like it. This my be the oldest coaster with a vertical lift. I didn't like being boxed in but the ride was enjoyable.

It was time to head over to Leap The Dips. At this point my coaster count was at 249. Before this trip began, I had it figured that number 250 would be on the oldest coaster in the world. When we got over there I was memorized by the station. I purchased our 4 tickets for $10 and was informed that we got to keeps the larger portion for a souvenir which was really cool. We entered the train and the ride op gave us a history lesson about the coaster. The ride itself was nothing great but what can you really expect from a side friction coaster. The ride experience in a whole was amazing. It was the perfect coaster for #250. My youngest son loved it and to think it was built 103 years before he was born. All the coasters at Lakemont were impressive.

We rode a flat ride called Twister. It was a combination of a Tilt A Work and The Kangaroo at Kennywood. It was so much fun and unique. We rode it 4 times. It was my favorite flat ride of the trip. We also rode Tilt A Work and Roundup.

The park is like a neat little carnival. I can't believe it took this long to visit a park that's so close to home. At 3:00 we headed for home. My wife didn't go on this trip with us and she requested we get home when she got home from work. She was missing the kids and it was the least I could do for her putting up with this hobby.

All in All this was an incredible trip. I'm glad Kings Island fell through and I called this audible. We had just as much fun if not more. With our coaster funds completely drained this was the perfect way to end the season. In 2011 we visited 12 parks, 6 were new. I added 19 coasters, 13 were wooden. The beginning of the year I had the goal to visit smaller parks and add to wooden coaster count. Mission accomplished. Can't wait til next year. Thanks for reading.

Ken

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 3 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/11 9:45:54 PM

Nice TRs! Sounds like you guys had a great trip, even with the unexpected park closure. Funny, I was just reading something on Leap The Dips the other day and I was wondering how it is now. I think when you know the history behind a coaster that old it makes the experience so much more enjoyable. That's how I felt about Wild One at SFA.

I really have to get to some of the smaller parks. Sometimes we get caught up with the biggest and fastest and forget the little guys have a lot to offer too.

Jen

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 3 Photo Icon by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/28/11 11:25:02 AM

Check out how vintage the trains and the station are on Leap The Dips. My 3 kids are ready to ride.

* This Post Has Been Modified * User Submitted Picture

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 3 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/29/11 4:20:34 PM

> We headed over to Toboggan. It was very unique. I never
> rode anything like it. This my be the oldest coaster with a
> vertical lift. I didn't like being boxed in but the ride
> was enjoyable.

Ow.

The pain is coming back...and my ride was more than 2 years ago.

> It was time to head over to Leap The Dips.

I loved it, although it was not a separate ticket when Judy P. and I visited in June '09. That was an after 5pm discount admission. I think we took four rides, including two separately so we could take pix. Someone on URC (It might have been Katie) once wrote that LOD is like riding on a moving sofa. That ain't far off.

> We rode a flat ride called Twister. It was a combination of
> a Tilt A Work and The Kangaroo at Kennywood. It was so much
> fun and unique. We rode it 4 times. It was my favorite flat
> ride of the trip.

One of the few rides I ever rode without any form of restraint. My seat belt was not fastened properly by the attendant, and came wide open when the ride started moving. I didn't bother trying to fasten it. Live dangerously, right? :)

Mike

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 3 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/30/11 9:04:02 PM

Wow. What a great way to get your 250th coaster credit. That's awesome.

I am so curious to ride a toboggan. I'm a little claustrophobic - think I'll have any trouble getting caged in those cars?

- Pat-O

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 3 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/31/11 8:59:52 AM

> Wow. What a great way to get your 250th coaster credit.
> That's awesome.

> I am so curious to ride a toboggan. I'm a little
> claustrophobic - think I'll have any trouble getting caged
> in those cars?

> - Pat-O

I'm claustrophobic also. How they operate the ride makes it worse. They run 4 cars. They load all 4 cars and let all 4 cars make their cycle then unload all 4 cars. You're boxed in there for about 10 minutes. I rode it once, I probably wouldn't ride it again.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 3 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/31/11 3:41:39 PM

Man, that's horrible.

- Pat-O