Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End of summer coaster trip Part 2

End of summer coaster trip Part 2

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
8/27/11 at
5:59:42 PM

We woke up bright and early Thursday morning and drove to Bristol CT. We arrived in town an hour before Lake Compounce opened. We had breakfast at a restaurant called Kizl's. It was within a mile of park. For $20 all 4 of us had a fantastic breakfast. We headed down to the park, bought our tickets and waited for 11:00. The park sent out entertainers that were signing and interacting with crowd until the gates opened. This was my first time at this park. Boulderdash was our primary goal of this trip, so when the gates opened we headed strait for it.

We took front seat for our first ride. This coaster had tons of air time and laterals. The sense of speed was amazing and it was extremely smooth and unique. I was so impressed with it. It exceeded my expectations and they very high. It's my 4th favorite wooden coaster. During the day we rode it 4 more times; 2 in the back and 2 more in the very front. The back was smooth but I liked the front better. I felt the same amount of air time in the front but the sense of speed is incredible in the front. My youngest son called it the best coaster he's ever ridden. We did have to wait 20 to 25 minutes every time we rode it due to single train operation, but I would have waited a hour if I had to.

We rode Wildcat once. I was good classic wooden coaster. The line was 25 minutes long because they were only running 1 train. We all agreed that if we were going to wait that long, it would be for Boulderdash. We did wait 30 minutes for their flume Saw Mill Plunge. It wasn't nothing great but the mountain enhanced the ride experience.

The park has some good modern flat rides. We rode Thunder and Lightning which is like Skyhawk at CP or Swingshot at Kennywood. I love those things. We rode Revolution it's a spinning frisbee. The Pirate Ship, While Out, and Twister were all fun. My oldest 2 rode Zoomerang. My youngest didn't like Sidewinder at Hershey so I waited with him and didn't get that credit. We did Ghost Hunt. It was a cool shoot em up dark ride similar to Kennywood's only this one was better. The kids ride Kiddie Coaster and Roomers Gas and Go.

This is a small park but it's operated like a world class destination. It's like they pay attention to every detail. The rides, the buildings, the coasters, the landscaping, the walk ways, everything is kept in pristine condition. The staff was friendly and enthusiastic. I wish Kennywood was operated this way. The kids loved the park and so did I.

We left the park at 5:45 and drove to Quassy. We got to Quassy at 6:15. The park was closed. The worker told me they closed at 5:00 due to weather. First of all they were supposed to be open til 8:00. Second it sprinkled for a minute when we were at Lake Compounce but it never rained. As this worker is telling me this the sun was beating down on him. We were so disappointed. Wooden Warrior was right there and we couldn't ride. The kids understood that it wasn't my fault. We headed back west and got a room in Scranton PA.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 2 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/27/11 9:04:00 PM

Nice report.

Good to hear Boulder Dash is still impressing first time riders.

I believe Revolution is a Disk-O (at least same ride type).

LC is a very nice park, no doubt.

I feel your pain (and your kids!) re the "Wally World" experience at Quassy.
A shame.

Mike B.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 2 Photo Icon by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/28/11 11:45:12 AM

Boulderdash was the best ride of the trip. User Submitted Picture

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 2 by drachen drachen Profile at 8/29/11 9:51:13 AM

> We took front seat for our first ride. This coaster had
> tons of air time and laterals. The sense of speed was
> amazing and it was extremely smooth and unique. I was so
> impressed with it. It exceeded my expectations and they
> very high. It's my 4th favorite wooden coaster. During the
> day we rode it 4 more times; 2 in the back and 2 more in
> the very front. The back was smooth but I liked the front
> better. I felt the same amount of air time in the front but
> the sense of speed is incredible in the front. My youngest
> son called it the best coaster he's ever ridden. We did
> have to wait 20 to 25 minutes every time we rode it due to
> single train operation, but I would have waited a hour if I
> had to.

Boulderdash is an incredible experience. I'm glad you got to ride it a number of times. The front is the best part of the train for sure, but the back was pretty good too. If I didn't like the Phoenix so much, Boulderdash would be my favorite.

> This is a small park but it's operated like a world class
> destination. It's like they pay attention to every detail.
> The rides, the buildings, the coasters, the landscaping,
> the walk ways, everything is kept in pristine condition.
> The staff was friendly and enthusiastic. I wish Kennywood
> was operated this way. The kids loved the park and so did
> I.

I was very impressed with Lake Compounce. Kinda' like you said, they have big theme park rides tucked into a small, mountain/lake side setting. I haven't been to Kennywood in years, but I though Compounce felt a lot like Kennywood, with a much friendlier staff.

One more wooden coaster, or a good steel ride, and this place would be a yearly destination for me.

> We left the park at 5:45 and drove to Quassy. We got to
> Quassy at 6:15. The park was closed. The worker told me
> they closed at 5:00 due to weather. First of all they were
> supposed to be open til 8:00. Second it sprinkled for a
> minute when we were at Lake Compounce but it never rained.
> As this worker is telling me this the sun was beating down
> on him. We were so disappointed. Wooden Warrior was right
> there and we couldn't ride. The kids understood that it
> wasn't my fault. We headed back west and got a room in
> Scranton PA.

Wow. That stinks. I'm sorry you missed out on Wooden Warrior. I know the feeling of having a closed ride stare you in the face. So frustrating, especially if there seems to be no apparent reason why it's closed.

I would imagine that they closed the park due to the weather and crowd size, and when you got there, there was simply no one to operate the rides anymore. Just unfortunate timing on your part.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 2 by parkbookman parkbookman Profile at 8/30/11 2:04:38 PM

Great to hear Boulderdash is running as good as ever.

Your experience reminds me of the last time I tried to go to Quassy. We spent the morning at Compounce and while it was overcast the weather overall was fine. As we got to Quassy the skies opened up. We figured it was a brief shower and went to a nearby mall to eat and the rain stopped by the time we got to the mall. After eating we returned to Quassy and again it was pouring and the park was closed.

At our hotel later that night we were watching the weather and it showed this narrow band of showers that was coming in from Long Island Sound to the south that drifted over Quassy for much of the day, but just a few miles east where Compounce and the mall were it was fine most of the day. Strange.....

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 2 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/30/11 8:58:11 PM

You've got me licking my chops for Lake Compounce. It's great to hear a CCI is holding up so well.

Interesting you found the front row the best. On most woodies I'm a back seat guy, but there are a few on which I prefer the front.

- Pat-O

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.