Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > End of summer coaster trip Part 1

End of summer coaster trip Part 1

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
8/27/11 at
5:11:05 PM

We left the house at 7:00 am on Wed. We arrived at Knoebels at 11:00. It's been 10 years since my last visit. I've been waiting for Flying Turns to open. Nonetheless this was a perfect first stop for our trip. We decided to purchase the all day wrist bands being that we were going to be there for most of the day. Our first ride was Twister. After waiting 20 minutes due to single train operation, we took the back seat. 10 years ago this coaster was very smooth. With age it has gotten a little rough but still a great ride. We rode 2 more times during the course of the day both in the front seat which was alot more enjoyable, waiting 20 to 30 minutes each time.

We then headed over to Phoenix. The line was spilling into the midway. After a 25 minute wait we got front seat. This is still a smooth air time machine. It's just as good as I remember it. My daughter loved it. She said it was the best wooden coaster she's ever ridden. We rode it 2 more times both in the back seat waiting 20 to 30 minutes each time.

We got in line from Giant Flume the line was long but they did a good job moving it. The ride was pretty good. We also rode Sklooosh which is their other water ride. I asked several workers if the park was unexpectedly crowded. They all said it was about average. Knoebels must have gotten more popular in the past 10 years.

Because the lines for coasters were so long we rode alot of the flat rides. Downdraft was my favorite; it was fun and unique. Fandango is a smaller version of Max Air or Delirium, but surprising just as fun. 1001 Nacht is a flying carpet ride. It was really tall but alot slower than the others I've been on. My 2 oldest kids loved Power Surge. My youngest chickened out so we waited for them. The Roundup and Wipeout were fun. Galleon is their Pirate Ship. It's a smaller version than most parks have but my youngest loves those types of rides. The kids rode some of the smaller flats.

In the past 10 years the park has gotten better in terms of rides. To me it's lost that small park feeling with the large crowds. It wasn't as clean as I remember it but the food was still good. The kids loved the park. They asked if we can go back when Flying Turns opens. I told them that may be another 10 years lol! We left the park at 6:00 and drove to New York, got a room and got a good night's sleep.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/27/11 8:55:50 PM

Nice report.

I have no experiences since 1998 visiting there in the summer, but I always attend PPP and the day after. Always a good time.

I agree that Twister hasn't aged all that well, seems rough to me each year even as I am hopeful it won't be.
Phoenix on the other hand continues to age well; actually seems not to age at all!
And Fandango? More intense than MaxAir and Delirium!

Mike B.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/11 9:39:30 PM

> Nice report.

> I have no experiences since 1998 visiting there in the
> summer, but I always attend PPP and the day after. Always a
> good time.

> I agree that Twister hasn't aged all that well, seems rough
> to me each year even as I am hopeful it won't be.
> Phoenix on the other hand continues to age well; actually
> seems not to age at all!
> And Fandango? More intense than MaxAir and Delirium!

> Mike B.

I can't believe I missed a frisbee when I was there! And from what you have both said, a good one too. It must not have been operating or I would have surely seen it. Where is it in the park? I may be going back this year in the fall.

Jen

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/28/11 8:58:29 AM

> Nice report.

> I have no experiences since 1998 visiting there in the
> summer, but I always attend PPP and the day after. Always a
> good time.

> I agree that Twister hasn't aged all that well, seems rough
> to me each year even as I am hopeful it won't be.
> Phoenix on the other hand continues to age well; actually
> seems not to age at all!
> And Fandango? More intense than MaxAir and Delirium!

> Mike B.

> I can't believe I missed a frisbee when I was there! And
> from what you have both said, a good one too. It must not
> have been operating or I would have surely seen it. Where
> is it in the park? I may be going back this year in the
> fall.

> Jen

When you're at the entrance of Phoenix walk towards the coasters first turnaround. Wipeout and Fandango sit in that corner.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 Photo Icon by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/28/11 11:40:10 AM

Front seat rides give me an opportunity to add a nice photo to the family album. User Submitted Picture

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/28/11 9:35:22 PM

> I can't believe I missed a frisbee when I was there! And
> from what you have both said, a good one too. It must not
> have been operating or I would have surely seen it. Where
> is it in the park? I may be going back this year in the
> fall.

> Jen

Fandango is like a mini-MaxAir or Delirium, in that you sit facing out, and there is a floor drop. Not mini in its thrill factor, tho!

Frisbee's seating faces in (and the floor comes along for the ride).

And yes, from Phoenix walk past the antique cars to get to Fandango.

Mike B.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/28/11 10:16:45 PM

> Fandango is like a mini-MaxAir or Delirium, in that you sit
> facing out, and there is a floor drop. Not mini in its
> thrill factor, tho!

> Frisbee's seating faces in (and the floor comes along for
> the ride).

> And yes, from Phoenix walk past the antique cars to get to
> Fandango.

> Mike B.

I can't wait to ride it! Has it been there a while? I was there 3 years ago, maybe it wasn't there yet? I looked at a map and found it and I rode Phoenix, I was checking out Flying Turns, went on the Log Flume too and was walking around that area so there is no way I would have missed it if it was operating.

They are all Huss Frisbees, just different variations. MaXair and Delirium are Giant Frisbees and the others are regular frisbees, with or without floors and seating in or out varies on the model as well.

Regardless, I LOVE them! They are my favorite flat ride next to Drop Towers. Now I think I will have to make that trip, especially since MaXair was down when I was at CP earlier this year. I need me some Frisbee action! I want to wait until Black Diamond is opened - I heard it was supposed to be ready for the fall. Any word on that?

Jen

Copy and paste to see all the Huss Frisbees/history - Fandango is mentioned at the very end (for some reason if there's a % in the URL it won't paste all of it):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisbee_%28ride%29

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/29/11 9:31:43 AM

Is that you behind your kids?

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/29/11 12:21:02 PM

> Is that you behind your kids?

No I'm taking the photo. When waiting for front seat, me and my youngest go first. Then the other two kids go next. We'll wait for them at the top of the exit ramp behind the safety gate after I know they're properly restrained. I've had a few occasions where ride ops have given me grief over this. When I explain my intentions and ask to speak with their supervisor, they usually give in.

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 Photo Icon by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/29/11 12:36:25 PM

This is me and my youngest son in the front seat of Boulderdash. User Submitted Picture

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/30/11 8:50:49 PM

How the the front and back rows compare on Phoenix and Twister?

- Pat-O

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/30/11 10:55:59 PM

> How the the front and back rows compare on Phoenix and
> Twister?

> - Pat-O

I rode Phoenix in both the front and back and I think the back won that hands down. Much more airtime and a better overall ride IMO. It's pretty smooth for a woodie which makes the back even better - not uncomfortable at all. Twister I've only ridden in the back so I can't comment on the differences on that one.

Jen

Re: End of summer coaster trip Part 1 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/31/11 1:11:27 AM

Thanks for the TR. Yeah, those smaller frisbee rides (Fandingo) are surprising with good airtime, just like the 'Rattler' at Wild Adv.