Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling???

Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling???

alpengeistno3

Posted:
8/26/11 at
5:35:50 AM

Don't know if anyone has been to Orlando lately, but I ran across the article on another site.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/28887591/detail.html

Basically, the eye injury incident has caused the park to stagger the trains dispatches so dueling is out!! Wonder if they had to disable the controls that used to speed up/slow down the lifts to perfectly position the trains, too.

Seeing all the talk about Racing woodies no longer racing and Loch Ness no longer "double looping", sad to see yet another unique coaster experience ruined.

Paul

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/26/11 6:03:32 AM

Sad, but yeah, this was mentioned in another thread about a week ago. Strange that they ran dueling without any problem for over a decade. Chalk it up to "our litigious society".

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/26/11 7:48:25 AM

I saw someone comment on another site that the loops were being removed. I doubt it, but it's just something to bring up.

I agree, it's a shame the dueling aspect is being taken away.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/26/11 8:00:20 AM

What a revoltin' development this is!

Mike B.
(freely "plagiarizing" a common refrain from a popular '50s (yes, I said 50's!) TV show, which old folks will remember; said phrase actually originated on the radio in the '40s (before TV was common, which even I don't remember!).
:-)

BTW, I mean it; the dragons not dueling really sucks!
Call me pissed...

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/26/11 9:02:41 AM

Time to grab the pitchforks, and flaming torches. OMG, how unfortunate this is. Maybe they should rename DC the 'Staggered Dragon Non-Challenge'.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/29/11 2:04:02 AM

I heard about this while in Florida. I didn't go to Universal this year, but I would be pissed off big time about this change.

Oh, heavens no on that supposed loops removal idea. Even sending the trains out at different times is terrible enough.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/10/11 12:33:34 AM

So any news on if they are 'dueling' again or still the 'one at a time' runs?

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/10/11 7:45:18 AM

Far as I know they are never gonna duel again due to those two incidents.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/10/11 4:11:18 PM

Damn, that's a terrible shame :( Curse you harry potter!*

*ever since they renamed it that's when this crap began.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 9/18/11 1:45:41 AM

> Damn, that's a terrible shame :( Curse you harry potter!*

> *ever since they renamed it that's when this crap began.

Yet another reason to hate all things Potter!

~MommaBeast

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/21/11 1:48:04 AM

Yep, it has been officially confirmed, Dragon Challenge is no longer gonna duel. No jaw-dropping breaking news here; That was expected.

www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-dragon-challenge-20111018,0,371498.story

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/21/11 2:10:52 AM

A part of me has died on the inside. THis is very sad news. I just want to punch a wall right now. The ride was fine for years before being rethemed, I don't understand how all of these problems happened all at once since the change. I still say the ride has been cursed. THat said, whenever I'm going back there, I'm going strait for the Hulk to start the day and work my way to the HP island. I am not running for the dragons again for a neutered ride experience.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/21/11 2:32:29 AM

"The resort now bills the attraction as a high speed chase between two coasters"

Seriously! Who in the hell do they think they're kidding? Oh yeah, I REALLY love when twin coasters like Gwazi, Gemini, Rebel Yell, Rolling Thunder etc. "chase" each other instead of actually racing/dueling. I guess that it is what it is, like you said Phil, a neutered ride experience.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by alpengeistno3 at 10/21/11 2:26:08 PM

Well, it's really no different than seatbelts suddenly appearing on 50+ year old woodies (or even Cedar Fair's insistence on installing them on Arrow loopers) or flipping backward running coasters forward due to "manufacturer specs". At least those of us who have been at this hobby for a while can have the fondness of remembering "when two coasters used to move along the track at the same time, looking like they would hit each other" when we look at the neutered Dueling Dragons or Loch Ness Monster.

Paul

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/22/11 7:51:44 PM

I was never taught how to neuter dragons in vet school.... :~)

That really sucks though. I was hoping they were stopping it just until the publicity died down and then they would start dueling again. I guess not.

Jen

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by alpengeistno3 at 10/22/11 8:22:12 PM

> I was never taught how to neuter dragons in vet school....
> :~)

> That really sucks though. I was hoping they were stopping
> it just until the publicity died down and then they would
> start dueling again. I guess not.

> Jen

Well, they aren't readily available for study, but if someone brought one in...well, just watch the mouth :)

I thought the same thing. Oh well, another fond memory of "how things used to be" to make us old farts look older.

Paul

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by looper77 at 10/23/11 2:58:45 AM

Why didn't they just install a mesh netting or plexiglass at the duel to prevent flying objects from striking another train?

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/23/11 10:02:06 AM

^^^That's what I was thinking. Like I say, ride em' while you can to avoid unexpected removals, neuterings etc. It seems like ninety percent of new coaster alterations involves diminishing the coaster ride experience; The main exceptions are woodies getting better trains, or steelies getting better restraints.

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/23/11 1:15:50 PM

> I thought the same thing. Oh well, another fond memory of
> "how things used to be" to make us old farts look
> older.

> Paul

Said the (relatively) young fart. :)

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by alpengeistno3 at 10/23/11 4:13:43 PM

> Why didn't they just install a mesh netting or plexiglass
> at the duel to prevent flying objects from striking another
> train?

Perhaps because the dueling point in question (the vertical loops) were designed with around 6 inches of clearance without any netting (at least that is what they said on my "America's Greatest Coaster Thrills" video.)

How do you stick a plexiglass or net in with that kind of clearance?

Paul

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 10/23/11 7:45:34 PM

> Perhaps because the dueling point in question (the vertical
> loops) were designed with around 6 inches of clearance
> without any netting (at least that is what they said on my
> "America's Greatest Coaster Thrills" video.)

> How do you stick a plexiglass or net in with that kind of
> clearance?

> Paul

I know - make the people put on plexiglass jumpsuits before they board, then nothing can fall out or hit them! :~)

Jen

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 10/23/11 9:25:22 PM

I'm gonna start calling those coasters the "Chasing Dragons" since IOA wanna bill the "new exciting chasing aspect" as some one of a kind, major WOW factor; I know, I've seen that Expedia commercial too many times. LOL

Re: Dueling Dragons...no longer dueling??? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 10/25/11 7:11:49 PM

Lol, chasing dragons. :sigh: I'm still disappointed about this move though. I blame the idiots that have to record themselves on the ride. I say that if their phone or camera was what fell out and hit someone, then they should be held responsible for the injured person's medical bills. Why ruin it for the rest of us people that follows the rules and wants to enjoy the ride?