Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11

My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11

chuckk chuckk Profile

Posted:
8/25/11 at
9:47:02 PM

So myself and my 12 yr old son and his friend head out at 8:30 am for the 2 1/2 hour trek from Connecticut to Jackson,NJ. We arrive a little after 11 and head to the flash pass processing center, watch the 5 minute instructional video and we are set to go.

The first ride we reserve is NITRO, its only a 5 minute wait so by the time we walked from the processing center we just walked right on. We get the back row and as always this ride just never dissapoints, it seems like it is running better than ever and the airtime was outstanding. I have probably had about 15 rides on Nitro in the past 3 years and each just gets better than the last, always has and will always be one of my favorite coasters.

Next up is EL TORO, which i reserved while getting on nitro. We take the "sky ride" from the right side of the park to the left. Keep in mind this is my first ride ever on el toro, this was my third trip to the park this year but my first time ever with a flash pass and the wait without a flash pass was always at least 90 min. My son and his friend get the second to last row and i get the third from last....Let the flaming begin!!!.....Was the first drop pretty intense? Yes...Did i get some airtime?...Yes...Was i blown away?...NO. Maybe it was all the hype i heard/read about El Toro, but i just felt "empty" getting off. It felt way too short, but i will reserve my final judgement until i ride it at least 2 more times.

Next is BIZZARO, there was no wait for flash pass so i didnt bother reserving it. When we got there it was only a 5 min wait. This was a ride i "discovered" on our first trip this year. It will probably never be in my top 10 list, but i enjoy it for what it is. Thankfully the ridiculous voice effects were turned off and we had a nice smooth ride.

We are now ready for lunch, i learned the hard way from previous trips ($30 for two of us to eat lunch) and packed a cooler with sandwiches and drinks. It was a little annoying to have to walk all the way back to the car, but it saved me $$$ and saved our stomachs from the gross and overpriced SF food. While we are sitting there we all realized that we had not seen kingda ka run since we arrived. Keep in mind the earthquake occured the previous day, so i thought maybe for safety reasons it would be closed for the day. I'll be honest at this point i felt dissapointed, the thought of going to GA without at least one ride on KK was frustrating. While we are eating i reserve superman, which is a 30 min wait.

Ater lunch we walk to SUPERMAN, while we are waiting on the stairs to get in my flash pass buzzes and says "Kingda Ka is now open"!!! So i reserve KK, which is already a 30 min wait. Like Bizarro, Superman will prob never be in my top 10 but i love the "flying sensation" and really enjoy every ride. I just wish it was a little longer and had a few more loops/inversions.

Next up is KINGDA KA, we get to the flash pass line and it is at least 50 people deep. Everyone must have reserved it when they got the now open message. Anyway we are about half way though the line and i get a message..."KK is now closed", i know KK is a very "finiky" ride so no big deal. It was closed for about 10 min. So after about a 30 min wait we get to the ride. We usually wait for front row, but the wait was about 20 people deep. Keep in mind i am 6' 3" tall, so i have to ride her very carefully. If i sit normal the top of the head rest only reaches the top of my neck and on take off my head snaps back. So the kids get the 4th row and i get he 3rd. I sit down and position myself so that my head is agaisnt the head rest on take off. As always the takeoff is intense and before you realize you are at the top and ready to spiral down. I know some people call KK a "one trick pony" and there have been times that thought has crossed my mind, but i love KK. It is one of the only if not the only ride i still get butterflies in my stomach everytime while waiting to ride it.

While waiting for KK, i reserve Green Lantern. Even with flash pass it is a 90 min wait. So we have an hour + wait. The kids play a few games and go into one of the arcades for about 30 min. We still have 30 min to kill so we go on the Log Flume(i forget the actually name), its about a 15 minute wait without flash pass. So now we are ready for GL, we walk through the FP lane and i am amazed at the wait for this ride. The line is all the way back to the entrance, it had to be at least a 2 hr wait. BTW, i love the dirty looks we were getting all day from the non FP people who saw us just walk right on while they are sitting there sweating and frustrated (i know the feeling i have been there many times). We wait about 5 minutes for the front row, this was my 4th time on GL so i knew what to excpect. Too be honest i dont know how i feel about GL, i dont love it, but at the same time i dont hate it. Its definetly a unique feeling standing up on a coaster. Everytime i get off GL i feel kind of shaken, prob due to my height.

So after one more ride on Nitro and a few more games we are ready to head back home. Its a long day after 5 hours of driving and walking all day. But the look on the kids faces after each ride makes it all worth it. I love GA, and after 3 trips there this summer i still am looking forward to maybe one more trip before it closes for the season.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/26/11 8:56:44 AM

> Keep in mind this is my first ride
> ever on el toro, this was my third trip to the park this
> year but my first time ever with a flash pass and the wait
> without a flash pass was always at least 90 min.

I don't keep track of my total number of rides ona given ride, except on a per-visit basis. But I've been on Toro more than 600 times, and have never waited 90 minutes...hour fifteen TOPS. And the seat you were in..the front row of the last car...is not an enjoyable seat for me. As much as I love my back seat, I studiously avoid, if possible, the more "open" front seat of each car..with the very front seat being the worst..IM(NS)HO.

> Next up is KINGDA KA, we get to the flash pass line and it
> so i have to ride *HER*
> very carefully. >

Does Jen know about the operation?

Good job on the TR, Chuck! Thanks for filling us in!

Mike

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/26/11 9:12:56 AM

> Next up is EL TORO, which i reserved while getting on
> nitro. We take the "sky ride" from the right side
> of the park to the left. Keep in mind this is my first ride
> without a flash pass was always at least 90 min. My son and
> his friend get the second to last row and i get the third
> from last....Let the flaming begin!!!.....Was the first
> drop pretty intense? Yes...Did i get some
> airtime?...Yes...Was i blown away?...NO. Maybe it was all
> the hype i heard/read about El Toro, but i just felt
> "empty" getting off. It felt way too short, but i
> will reserve my final judgement until i ride it at least 2
> more times.

I can see where you're coming from. To be honest, what saved El Toro for me was the strong station run with the switching banked transitions that are filled with plenty of air; If it wasn't for that, I might've been a lil' disappointed with ET myself. Thanks for the TR.

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/26/11 11:30:58 AM

Good TR. I rode El Toro when it opened and was floored. I rode it on Tuesday and was floored. You might be a steel coaster guy like myself, so maybe that's why you weren't all that impressed. Although, think for a minute....what other wooden coaster is that awesome? The Voyage? and...what else? It's definitely an awesome ride, glad you still enjoyed it though and didn't hate it.

Awesome you got the Flash pash too, that makes visits all the more fun. I go a lot (I live 45 min away) and have good and bad days. Like Tuesday, I was there from 3-7:30 and got 4 rides in total....but then I had a day where I rode Nitro alone 52 times. So for you it was very smart to make the most of your drive/visit with the flash pass.

My one question is, it sounded as if you were reserving rides from the parking lot? in other words, have they changed the reserve system? It's been a while since I got one. I thought you had to go to the exit and scan your (Qbot) flashpass?

If they changed it, that's awesome! No more extra walking!

- mugen

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/26/11 10:46:41 PM

> My one question is, it sounded as if you were reserving
> rides from the parking lot? in other words, have they
> changed the reserve system? It's been a while since I got
> one. I thought you had to go to the exit and scan your
> (Qbot) flashpass?

> If they changed it, that's awesome! No more extra walking!

> - mugen

As soon as you enter your currently reserved ride (when the station op "clears" your 'bot by holding up to his/hers), you can immediately reserve any other ride in the park.
So much better than the old way.

Incidentally, the first Qbot system I encountered like what I just described was at Dollywood, at least a year, maybe two, before SF changed over to it. And that was years ago.

Mike B.

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/11 2:24:09 AM

> My one question is, it sounded as if you were reserving
> rides from the parking lot? in other words, have they
> changed the reserve system? It's been a while since I got
> one. I thought you had to go to the exit and scan your
> (Qbot) flashpass?

> If they changed it, that's awesome! No more extra walking!

> - mugen

You're supposed to drop it off for them to hold it when you leave but I've taken it out of the park before, put it in the security tray walking back in and they have never said anything.

Jen

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/11 2:42:37 AM

> Next up is EL TORO, which i reserved while getting on
> nitro. We take the "sky ride" from the right side
> of the park to the left. Keep in mind this is my first ride
> without a flash pass was always at least 90 min. My son and
> his friend get the second to last row and i get the third
> from last....Let the flaming begin!!!.....Was the first
> drop pretty intense? Yes...Did i get some
> airtime?...Yes...Was i blown away?...NO. Maybe it was all
> the hype i heard/read about El Toro, but i just felt
> "empty" getting off. It felt way too short, but i
> will reserve my final judgement until i ride it at least 2
> more times.

I'm surprised. Your seat choice was not ideal, as Mike pointed out, but that still shouldn't have made the ride that much worse. I think it's an awesome coaster with ridiculous airtime and some great hills (esp. the first drop). I do understand when something is so hyped up that it could probably never live up to your expectations. After you have time thinking it was not that great, I bet when you ride again you'll like it. That's happened to me a few times with other coasters.

> Next is BIZZARO, there was no wait for flash pass so i
> didnt bother reserving it. When we got there it was only a
> 5 min wait. This was a ride i "discovered" on our
> first trip this year. It will probably never be in my top
> 10 list, but i enjoy it for what it is. Thankfully the
> ridiculous voice effects were turned off and we had a nice
> smooth ride.

I LOVE when the sound is off!! It's pure bliss!

> Ater lunch we walk to SUPERMAN, while we are waiting on the
> stairs to get in my flash pass buzzes and says "Kingda
> Ka is now open"!!! So i reserve KK, which is already a
> 30 min wait. Like Bizarro, Superman will prob never be in
> my top 10 but i love the "flying sensation" and
> really enjoy every ride. I just wish it was a little longer
> and had a few more loops/inversions.

God, I hate that ride....

> is at least 50 people deep. Everyone must have reserved it
> when they got the now open message. Anyway we are about
> half way though the line and i get a message..."KK is
> now closed", i know KK is a very "finiky"
> ride so no big deal. It was closed for about 10 min. So
> after about a 30 min wait we get to the ride. We usually
> wait for front row, but the wait was about 20 people deep.
> Keep in mind i am 6' 3" tall, so i have to ride her
> very carefully.

OK, now this one is definitely a boy - the word King is in the name. If it were a girl it would be Queenda Ka! Please don't make my boyfriend a girl.. 8~(

I know some people call KK a "one trick
> pony" and there have been times that thought has
> crossed my mind, but i love KK. It is one of the only if
> not the only ride i still get butterflies in my stomach
> everytime while waiting to ride it.

Amen! :~)

> While waiting for KK, i reserve Green Lantern. Even with
> flash pass it is a 90 min wait. So we have an hour + wait.
> The kids play a few games and go into one of the arcades
> for about 30 min. We still have 30 min to kill so we go on
> the Log Flume(i forget the actually name)

Saw Mill Log Flume I believe but us regulars just call it the Log Flume, so that is perfectly acceptable.

Too be honest
> i dont know how i feel about GL, i dont love it, but at the
> same time i dont hate it. Its definetly a unique feeling
> standing up on a coaster. Everytime i get off GL i feel
> kind of shaken, prob due to my height.

I kind of feel the same way (about most stand ups). I liked GL more than others but I can take it or leave it.

Nice job on your TR! I'm surprised you couldn't do more with the FP - sounds like there were good crowds there due to your extremely long wait times with the FP. The longest I've ever had on a FP was about an hour and that was for GL. Sounds like you had fun though!

Jen

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/11 2:50:14 AM

> very carefully. > Does Jen know about the operation?

Stop spreading rumors - there has been no castration!

Jen

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by alpengeistno3 at 8/27/11 12:09:14 PM

> Stop spreading rumors - there has been no castration!

> Jen

Well, "he" did lose a station and a train from his "operation". Hmmmm...

Paul

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by squirrels at 8/27/11 2:11:42 PM

I guess with Toro it depends on your coaster preference. I'm not sure how "woodie" fans receive it, but for someone like me who loves steel, it's a wood coaster I can really get into. BIG hills for a woodie, intimidatingly big. It IS kinda short, but it delivers.

KdK...you have to just be willing to wait for the frequent breaks. If I had my guess...and I don't know sh!t about ride operation...but if I was gonna guess from what I've heard, it's something with the catch car not engaging and every time it doesn't, the coaster throws a fault-light and has to be re-inspected. (I've also heard some rumors that the ride isn't built right...seems to work fine to me though)

Superman is more about the "flying experience". The ride layout isn't very complicated, but if you've never ridden a flying coaster before it's good to do once. Another wingover or two would be neat. That pretzel-loop is a weird sensation...like one of those Gravitron spinners the way it presses your back into the ride. People either love it or hate it.

Next time I ride Nitro I need to have my hands in the air. :)

Sounds like you had a full day at least.

I really don't know how I feel about FlasshPass, but that's a topic for another thread. :)

I take it you didn't catch Batman - The Ride? I like that coaster...probably the most intense B&M invert I've ever ridden.

Re: My first TR...Six Flags Great Adventure 8/24/11 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/11 3:53:22 PM

> Stop spreading rumors - there has been no castration!

> Jen

> Well, "he" did lose a station and a train from
> his "operation". Hmmmm...

> Paul

But they're still technically functional and that's what counts! :~)

Jen