Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Earthquake effect on amusement parks?

Earthquake effect on amusement parks?

squirrels

Posted:
8/24/11 at
7:19:02 AM

Has anyone heard of yesterday's east-coast earthquake (5.9 centered in Virginia) having any effect on coaster-riding? Have any coasters been damaged or otherwise rendered inoperable?

Re: Earthquake effect on amusement parks? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/24/11 7:48:57 AM

I went to Great Adventure yesterday and we had tremors from the earthquake that lasted up to a minute long in some cases.

I live 50 minutes south of the park and we were hit and when I got to the park at 3pm (ish) the rides were down for 30 minutes (from when we got there) for inspection.

All of the rides were open throughout the time we were there.

So as for Great Adventure all seemed ok, not sure about anywhere else.

- mugen

(whoops, just saw your response in beastmaster's thread lol)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Earthquake effect on amusement parks? by squirrels at 8/24/11 9:08:01 AM

I heard that BGW shut down for inspection but all rides have re-opened.

KD is closest to the epicenter...they closed everything down. Last I heard, Dominator and the woodies were open. Haven't heard anything specific about I305 or Volcano yet...doesn't seem to be big news on their website.

Hersheypark apparently is operating normally. 6F-Gadv, as you said, apparently shut down for a quick inspection but I'm guessing everything THAT far away is operating again. I can't imagine it having a big effect on parks as far as Carowinds or 6F_GAm.

What else is in the area?

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Earthquake effect on amusement parks? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 9:18:36 AM

> What else is in the area?

SFA..DC/Baltimore area.

Re: Earthquake effect on amusement parks? by chillerfan at 8/24/11 12:17:18 PM

I live 1 and a half hours away from the epicenter, near ocean city. The rides on the pier and boardwalk just stayed open.