Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters?

What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters?

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/24/11 at
5:00:49 AM

For those that dont know, a mobius coaster is a racing coaster where the track forms as one continuous circuit and passes though each station twice. So basically what should be two separate coasters is one intertwined cluster of coaster. Kennywood's Racer is a mobius coaster. Mobius coasters have one major obvious disadvantage, if one side is broke, the whole entire ride is broke. I recently rode Gwazi(Lion) and Gwazi(Tiger) was broke, now if Gwazi was mobius, both coasters would be un-ridable. So what's the purpose for mobius coasters, to be different and cute? It's kinda a dumb idea if you ask me.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/24/11 6:54:26 AM

Hershey Park Lightning Racers are not Mobius.

Kennywood Racer is.

Chuck

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/24/11 7:56:08 AM

Racing coasters are fun and interesting. Especially when you and a friend, or even a group of people, split up and go on the opposite coaster.

I can't comment on the mobius thing as I don't know much about it. I do love me some Lightning and Thunder though!

- mugen

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/24/11 8:14:53 AM

> For those that dont know, mobius coasters are racing
> coaster where the track forms as one continious circuit and
> passes though each station twice. So basically what should
> be two separate coasters is one intertwined cluster of
> coaster. Hersheypark's Racer is a mobius coaster. Mobius
> coasters have one major obvious disadvantage, if one side
> is broke, the whole entire ride is broke. I recently rode
> Gwazi(Lion) and Gwazi(Tiger) was broke, now if Gwazi was
> mobius, both coasters would be un-ridable. So what's the
> purpose for mobius coasters, to be different and cute? It's
> kinda a dumb idea if you ask me.

Chuck already corrected the writer as to the mobius coaster in the US being Racer at Kennywood.

But to answer the question as to "if one side is broke" (sic) on a mobius, that simply cannot happen. There is no second "side."
It is a single coaster that has two trains (that must run simultaneously).

Non-mobius racers/duelers have two distinct tracks ("sides").

I think KW's racer is cool...getting on the train on one side of the station, departing on the other side.
Plus it's a fun ride.

Mike B.

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by alpengeistno3 at 8/24/11 3:16:46 PM

It has been too long since I have rode KW's Racer, but if my memory serves me correctly, the reason it is mobius is because of the number of turns. I can't remember the exact number, but if the coaster had one more (or one less) it would correct the mobius loop.

Whether Kennywood intended it that way or whether it was a consequence of the real estate used, someone with more intimate knowledge of the coaster will have to elaborate.

Paul

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by CarolH at 8/24/11 8:09:03 PM

I think the purpose is/was to offer something new, exciting,
different, etc. I mean what's the purpose of 12 inversion 300 foot coaster? Or 500 foot launch coaster? Or a ...you get the idea.

The down side is of a mobious coaster is if it's down, it's down. The up-side is the trains are always racing & isn't that the point of a racing/dualing coaster?

I have ridden two of the three mobius coaster, MontaƱa Rusa at La Feria Chapultepec Magico & Racer at Kennywood Park. They are extremely fun and unique rides! The Grand National at Pleasure Beach is on my "must do list."

Carol H

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/24/11 11:37:17 PM

> Hershey Park Lightning Racers are not Mobius.

> Kennywood Racer is.

> Chuck

My bad, I always get those PA parks confused.

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/25/11 12:08:41 AM

> The up-side is the trains are always racing &
> isn't that the point of a racing/dualing coaster?

Don't non-mobius racers 'always race' too? I don't see how mobius track makes a racing outcome haphazard, not unless you know something that I don't know.

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by CarolH at 8/25/11 6:35:42 AM

Not always, they don't race when only one side is running and if there is a loading issuethe ops often send the ready train.

There have been many times I have ridden a racing/dueling train with both sides running that they didn't race or duel.

Carol H

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/25/11 1:38:56 PM

> Not always, they don't race when only one side is running
> and if there is a loading issuethe ops often send the ready
> train.

> There have been many times I have ridden a racing/dueling
> train with both sides running that they didn't race or
> duel.

Just ask Paul about Rolling Thunder when we went a few weeks ago - it bothered the hell out of him that they were running both sides and not even trying to race them. It was stupid. On a horrible coaster like RT, at least make an effort to race them. It might make the ride a little less painful (emotionally, not physically LOL!)

Jen

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/25/11 2:54:33 PM

They were racing, sorta, on Tuesday. 8/23/11 The right side would get to the top faster in some cases though, also, if anyone goes on it or goes over there and looks, I THINK, all of the trains have been painted!

(taken with my iphone4 and enhanced slightlyyy in the camera + app)

- mugen

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/25/11 6:22:48 PM

> train.

> duel.

My bad I gotcha, so you're saying that mobius coasters will always have both sides running. Although I still prefer one credit on a non-mobius racer with the other half broke, instead of no credit at all with a broke mobius coaster.

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/25/11 6:40:32 PM

> train.

> duel.

> My bad I gotcha, so you're saying that mobius coasters will
> always have both sides running. Although I still prefer one
> credit on a non-mobius racer with the other half broke,
> instead of no credit at all with a broke mobius coaster.
>

Not me. Parks often close one side of non mobius coasters. Gemini, Racer, Rebel Yell Gwazi. I've never once seen Kennywoods Racer closed and its always operating at capacity.

Fun Coaster and Unique on both tracks. You also get the hand slap action. Racers are kinda boring especially if they ain't racing.

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/29/11 10:10:33 PM

When I rode Montana Rusa at Chapultapec, only one train was running and it was not racing.

- Pat-O

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/29/11 10:37:18 PM

> When I rode Montana Rusa at Chapultapec, only one train was
> running and it was not racing.

> - Pat-O

Well, I guess you found the only possible way for a mobius coaster to not race. lol

-Josh

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by alpengeistno3 at 8/29/11 11:18:48 PM

> When I rode Montana Rusa at Chapultapec, only one train was
> running and it was not racing.

> - Pat-O

So how does that work with the whole boarding station set-up? Do the people go to whichever side of the station the train is on or do they run the train until it comes back to the side that people boarded (ie, two cycles)?

Paul Hilliard

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/30/11 1:03:27 PM

> So how does that work with the whole boarding station
> set-up? Do the people go to whichever side of the station
> the train is on or do they run the train until it comes
> back to the side that people boarded (ie, two cycles)?

> Paul Hilliard

I would imagine they use both sides anyway, so the train is always running with people on board.

Can't change the "every other train" cycle for those in line, tho.

Mike B.

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/30/11 8:40:27 PM

> So how does that work with the whole boarding station
> set-up? Do the people go to whichever side of the station
> the train is on or do they run the train until it comes
> back to the side that people boarded (ie, two cycles)?

I really don't remember how it worked. If I recall correctly, the queue didn't split until the loading station. They may have had an attendant directing us to which side we should load. I think.

- Pat-O

Re: What's the Purpose for Mobius Coasters? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/9/11 8:49:19 PM

I guess technically that you (maybe a ride op) can ride a mobius coaster when the other side is broken with one train on the working side. That's definitely one ride that you DON'T wanna ride again until mechanics are available, not unless you want to recreate that infamous scene from the seventies movie "Rollercoaster". Talk about a Final Destination! :O