Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down?

Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down?

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/24/11 at
4:40:25 AM

As you know many thrillseekers love to throw their hands in the air on a ride (coaster, thrilling flatride) to catch some air AKA negative-G's. Unfortunately you can't do this on every ride sometimes because of safety reasons. Also their are some people that don't like on ride photos with one person with their hands in the air. Have you ever been told, and had the feeling that someone didn't want you to raise your hands in the air on a ride? I had three such experiences.

One was on Tower of Terror in WDW On the on-ride photo screen, I was sticking out like a sore thumb because I'm the only brotha on the ride, and being the only person with my hands in the air. Oh well, I had to catch some air. LOL. I can tell that some in the on ride area didn't appreciate me hogging up all of the glory. LMAO.

One was on Tenn Tornado where this girl in the seat next to me didn't want me to put my hands in the air; I still did though. I had no reason why she didn't want me to put my hands in the air; I'm quite sure that I did use deodorant that day. LOL.

The other was in the same park on Dizzy Disk at Dollywood when the ride op told me to hold on to the handles in front of me for safety issues. I said my bad.

Got any hands down experiences?

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by squirrels at 8/24/11 7:16:14 AM

I know that on Top Thrill Dragster, the automated launch routine will start looping the "Hands Down!" message on occasion...I'm not sure if it's detecting that hands are in the air or it's just a bug in the system.

I would think, though, if having your hands up were unsafe, they'd figure out some way to restrain them for liability reasons. Just about all of the "headchopper" features are probably a lot higher than they look when you're entering them to prevent a hand getting whacked off.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/24/11 7:54:18 AM

At Go Karts PLus in VA, me and my friends got on the "Disco" ride. I forget the name of it, but it's the half pipe like ride where you face outwards and riders are in a circle. They told us to put our hands down as well and hold on as a safety rule.

Besides that, no other experiences that I can recall.

- mugen

Dizzy Disc by boxopen at 8/24/11 8:14:13 AM

that ride is just like Dizzy Disc at dollywood

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/24/11 8:29:07 AM

I used to pull down my hands when I knew where the on-ride camera, was if there was one. So as not to ruin the photo of folks behind me for what could have been a once in a lifetime photo for them, for all I knew.

Moot point now, as I stopped putting my hands up on all coasters the last couple years or so. Just doesn't enhance the ride for me one way or the other.

As to TTD (and Kingda Ka), if the unwitting rider has hands up before launch, I can see where the arms could/would get thrown backwards so hard that upper arm/shoulder muscles could/would be strained, thus perhaps ruining the day.
That's what I was thinking years ago when I first rode them, so I kept my arms down. Was that common sense or fear on my part?
The former. :-)

Mike B.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/24/11 9:18:16 AM

> One was on Tower of Terror in WDW On the on-ride photo
> screen, I was sticking out like a sore thumb because I'm
> the only brotha on the ride, and being the only person with
> my hands in the air. Oh well, I had to catch some air. LOL.
> I can tell that some in the on ride area didn't appreciate
> me hogging up all of the glory. LMAO.

What is "brotha"? Do you mean brother? Are you black?

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 9:20:56 AM

> What is "brotha"? Do you mean brother? Are you
> black?

Aaaaand here we go again....

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 9:22:01 AM

> I would think, though, if having your hands up were unsafe,
> they'd figure out some way to restrain them for liability
> reasons.

Like the straps on the electric chair...interesting concept.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/24/11 9:47:39 AM

Space Mountain at WDW if you put your hands up you are going to slap some of the supports that go over the track. Not a good thing. It's certainly a hands down ride because of that and how dark it is now. I've heard of a few who insisted on putting their hands up anyways, and how much they hurt afterwards... :)

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 10:07:13 AM

Just curious...can anyone say they actually HAVE hit their hand on a coaster's structure while riding? I can only remember it happening to me once. Lakemont Skyliner in '09. No damage..to me or...to the best of my knowledge..the coaster.

Mike

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/24/11 2:19:08 PM

> As to TTD (and Kingda Ka), if the unwitting rider has hands
> up before launch, I can see where the arms could/would get
> thrown backwards so hard that upper arm/shoulder muscles
> could/would be strained, thus perhaps ruining the day.
> That's what I was thinking years ago when I first rode
> them, so I kept my arms down. Was that common sense or fear
> on my part?
> The former. :-)

> Mike B.

Common sense. There are warnings all over on TTD and KK (or used to be anyway) that keeping your hands up during launch can result in shoulder dislocation/injury. I hold my hands out in front of me for the launch - still not holding on but close enough to my body that my shoulders are safe. I raise them after the initial force is over.

And Michael G - nope - never hit anything on any coaster with my hands up. I'm pretty sure they take that into account when building them now. I have also rode Space Mountain with my arms up and never hit anything either - must be a size/height of arms thing.

I've never been told to put my hands down either although once at SFGAdv, after riding Splash Water Falls, I took off my socks and went on the Swiss Bob to dry them (which was right across from it at the time). I was holding my socks out to dry on the sides of the car and the ride op announced "will the person holding out the socks please bring them back in the car" LOL!

Jen

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 2:32:58 PM

> I've never been told to put my hands down either although
> once at SFGAdv, after riding Splash Water Falls, I took off
> my socks and went on the Swiss Bob to dry them (which was
> right across from it at the time).

I don't remember GAdv ever having a Swiss Bobs (Bayern Kurve.)
I loved them, and rode 'em on the Seaside and Wildwood piers, as well as the indoor one at the Palace..you know, beyond which hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard...in Asbury Park.
My ride on Kennywood's Kurve in '09 with Judy P. was incredible...maybe the most fun I ever had on a non-coaster, non-water ride.

Michael G

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/24/11 2:56:59 PM

> I don't remember GAdv ever having a Swiss Bobs (Bayern
> Kurve.)
> I loved them, and rode 'em on the Seaside and Wildwood
> piers, as well as the indoor one at the Palace..you know,
> beyond which hemi-powered drones scream down the
> boulevard...in Asbury Park.
> My ride on Kennywood's Kurve in '09 with Judy P. was
> incredible...maybe the most fun I ever had on a
> non-coaster, non-water ride.

> Michael G

It was there for almost 20 years - how could you not have ever seen it?!

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Swiss%20Bob.htm
(you'll have to copy and paste - the whole link won't go up)

Jen

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 3:26:50 PM

>> It was there for almost 20 years - how could you not have
> ever seen it?!

>> Jen
>
I saw it and obviously rode it, but it last operated in 1991. And despite what a certain other URC'er from Pittsburgh would have people believe, I don't remember EVERYTHING. Because I had been on others,I guess I don't have specific memories of the one at GAdv. Thanks for the link, Doctor.

Michael

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/24/11 5:29:56 PM

> Just curious...can anyone say they actually HAVE hit their
> hand on a coaster's structure while riding? I can only
> remember it happening to me once. Lakemont Skyliner in '09.
> No damage..to me or...to the best of my knowledge..the
> coaster.

I've had it happen a couple of times. That same Skyliner was one of them. Happened on a mouse or two as well. I don't remember others, but it wasn't at a part where we were moving to fast. I've learned over the years to watch my hands, and if I can't see them or they're moving a bunch, then I keep them down.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/25/11 12:13:17 AM

> black?

1. Yes, it's the slang way of saying 'brother'.
2. Lighten up, and don't be so uptight.
3. Yes.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/25/11 2:35:23 AM

> black?

> 1. Yes, it's the slang way of saying 'brother'.
> 2. Lighten up, and don't be so uptight.
> 3. Yes.
>

So wait, are you black or white? I been making fun of the way you type for 5 years, but i always thought you were a white wannabe, if you are black then thats just how you type, cool.

Cheers to the freakin weekend.. i'll drink to that, yeah yeah...

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/25/11 2:45:17 AM

> black?

> Aaaaand here we go again....

ah shut up, a little attitude always lightens this board up. You just sit there and type your random posts about nothing.

Just cause i walk around looking like John Cena with girls all over me when i'm strolling the midways, while laughing at old guys in line by themselves that look like Sirwillow, doesnt mean i am bad, i still win the biggest stuffies and give them to the cutest littletoddler i can find, every time..

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? *NM* Photo Icon by squirrels at 8/25/11 7:48:44 AM

User Submitted Picture

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/25/11 1:58:44 PM

> black?

> ah shut up, a little attitude always lightens this board
> up. You just sit there and type your random posts about
> nothing.

> Just cause i walk around looking like John Cena with girls
> all over me when i'm strolling the midways, while laughing
> at old guys in line by themselves that look like Sirwillow,
> doesnt mean i am bad, i still win the biggest stuffies and
> give them to the cutest littletoddler i can find, every
> time..

#1 Don't ever tell any of my friends to shut up, who the hell do you think you are?

#2 How old are you? I sure hope it's between the ages of 12 and 16 or you have a serious maturity problem

#3 If you're trying to be funny it's not working.

There's no place for this kind of behavior here. It's not funny, it's not relevant to any topic and you sound like a child. Grow up.

Jen

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/25/11 2:50:10 PM

> black?

> nothing.

> time..

> #1 Don't ever tell any of my friends to shut up, who the
> hell do you think you are?

> #2 How old are you? I sure hope it's between the ages of 12
> and 16 or you have a serious maturity problem

> #3 If you're trying to be funny it's not working.

> There's no place for this kind of behavior here. It's not
> funny, it's not relevant to any topic and you sound like a
> child. Grow up.

> Jen

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Jen > 1

random kid > 0

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/25/11 6:41:04 PM

Man, Notso has to be the old URCer Nocho's twin brother or something, or maybe they are the same person..Nocho, and Notso those screennames sounds awfully similar, any coincidence? I'm not gonna even respond to Notso's ignorance. Thanks for taking care of him Jen.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/25/11 6:59:47 PM

> Man, Notso has to be the old URCer Nocho's twin brother or
> something, or maybe they are the same person..Nocho, and
> Notso those screennames sounds awfully similar, any
> coincidence? I'm not gonna even respond to Notso's
> ignorance. Thanks for taking care of him Jen.

No problem ;~)

I contemplated ignoring him too but after the way he was treating you and then Mike I couldn't let that slide. I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior.

And LOL w/ Nacho - I remember him!

Jen

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/25/11 7:51:59 PM

> And LOL w/ Nacho - I remember him!

> Jen

They are one in the same. He's even admitted to that back when "Notso" was new. And personally, I think that if he is going to continue on this immature path of idiocy, then he should go the way of his former self, and just vanish. That kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

-Josh

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/26/11 2:01:08 AM

> Space Mountain at WDW if you put your hands up you are
> going to slap some of the supports that go over the track.
> Not a good thing. It's certainly a hands down ride because
> of that and how dark it is now. I've heard of a few who
> insisted on putting their hands up anyways, and how much
> they hurt afterwards... :)

Funny you mention that...I remember hearing or reading (no idea where I heard or saw it) a rumor that something like 7 people had been killed on that ride over the years because they stood up and were decapitated by the support structure. No idea if that's true or not but it's certainly plausible...

It seems to me that if something like that were true (hitting any body part on a ride unless of course you did really something stupid like stand up) the park would have been forced to either fix the ride or post lots of warnings telling riders to not put their hands up. Especially if enough people complained about it and some of those people suffered any sort of injury that would require medical treatment.

Also, I'd think that at the maximum speed of the ride (27 mph), hitting something really hard could possibly break a rider's hands or fingers. Unless of course it tends to happen at a slow spot on the ride where the speeds are lower.

I checked the pics of Space Mountain on rcdb.com and the quality is pretty poor so it's hard to tell just how close the structure might be to the hands of taller riders.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/26/11 2:36:53 AM

> Common sense. There are warnings all over on TTD and KK (or
> used to be anyway) that keeping your hands up during launch
> can result in shoulder dislocation/injury.

Yeah, extreme positive-G moments esp during a very high speed launch aren't the time to throw your hands in the air; Now it's a different story with negative-G moments.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/27/11 7:45:23 PM

> black?

> nothing.

> time..

Here's my take. I use this forum to gain and share information with people who have the same passion in a common hobby. I've been blessed to get to know some of you. Most people on this forum are the kind of people that will have a positive influence on your life just by chatting with them. I always try to give an honest opinion, but I'm very careful with my words. I don't want to insult or offend anyone and if I ever have I apologize. This is suppose to be fun and enjoyable. Attacks on people on this forum is not only offensive to that person, but it's offensive to me. My mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Sounds like good advice.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by boyzbad at 8/28/11 1:58:00 AM

> Space Mountain at WDW if you put your hands up you are
> going to slap some of the supports that go over the track.
> Not a good thing. It's certainly a hands down ride because
> of that and how dark it is now. I've heard of a few who
> insisted on putting their hands up anyways, and how much
> they hurt afterwards... :)

> Funny you mention that...I remember hearing or reading (no
> idea where I heard or saw it) a rumor that something like 7
> people had been killed on that ride over the years because
> they stood up and were decapitated by the support
> structure. No idea if that's true or not but it's certainly
> plausible...

> It seems to me that if something like that were true
> (hitting any body part on a ride unless of course you did
> really something stupid like stand up) the park would have
> been forced to either fix the ride or post lots of warnings
> telling riders to not put their hands up. Especially if
> enough people complained about it and some of those people
> suffered any sort of injury that would require medical
> treatment.

> Also, I'd think that at the maximum speed of the ride (27
> mph), hitting something really hard could possibly break a
> rider's hands or fingers. Unless of course it tends to
> happen at a slow spot on the ride where the speeds are
> lower.

> I checked the pics of Space Mountain on rcdb.com and the
> quality is pretty poor so it's hard to tell just how close
> the structure might be to the hands of taller riders.

Are you referring to the old or new one? Before the old ride was torn down and replaced they had rides with the lights in the building on. A friend who lived in FL at the time got to ride it and said the structure looked like spaghetti. I think part of the rides enhancement was having no/low lighting. I don't know about the new one but the old one was almost pitch dark as I remember.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/28/11 9:39:47 PM

> I used to pull down my hands when I knew where the on-ride
> camera, was if there was one. So as not to ruin the photo
> of folks behind me for what could have been a once in a
> lifetime photo for them, for all I knew.

I ride with the general knowledge that there might be a party of 2 or 3 [on a B&M coaster], that they might be buying the image. If the coaster is new or i haven't rode on it yet, I obviously don't know where the cameras are. But after the 2nd or 3rd ride I'll always 'brace' myself by just having my hands 'cross' in front of my face. This way I don't block anyone and I still have my arms in the air.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/28/11 10:26:11 PM

> I ride with the general knowledge that there might be a
> party of 2 or 3 [on a B&M coaster], that they might be
> buying the image. If the coaster is new or i haven't rode
> on it yet, I obviously don't know where the cameras are.
> But after the 2nd or 3rd ride I'll always 'brace' myself by
> just having my hands 'cross' in front of my face. This way
> I don't block anyone and I still have my arms in the air.

You know, I have never thought about that and I am generally a considerate person, now I feel bad. I hope I haven't ruined other people's photos :~(

Jen

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/29/11 2:22:20 AM

For some time I never really thought of 'what about the other rider?' But in a sense, I don't want to hold my arms down for a moment and in the other 'crossing' will still allow the person next to me to at least be partially visible.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/29/11 9:25:50 AM

> I ride with the general knowledge that there might be a
> party of 2 or 3 [on a B&M coaster], that they might be
> buying the image. If the coaster is new or i haven't rode
> on it yet, I obviously don't know where the cameras are.
> But after the 2nd or 3rd ride I'll always 'brace' myself by
> just having my hands 'cross' in front of my face. This way
> I don't block anyone and I still have my arms in the air.

> You know, I have never thought about that and I am
> generally a considerate person, now I feel bad. I hope I
> haven't ruined other people's photos :~(

> Jen

We have a room at our house that is decorated in amusement park memorabilia. I had so my 8x10 photos that I've taken of coasters hanging on the wall. For the past 3 seasons we've been buying the ride photos of the coasters that are new to us. We now have 15 and in every one of them we are in the front seat. This way not only do we avoid that problem but it usually makes for a better photo. So I wouldn't worry about messing someones photo up. If they're in the front seat, they'll avoid that problem.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 9/3/11 1:59:22 AM

> Are you referring to the old or new one? Before the old
> ride was torn down and replaced they had rides with the
> lights in the building on. A friend who lived in FL at the
> time got to ride it and said the structure looked like
> spaghetti. I think part of the rides enhancement was having
> no/low lighting. I don't know about the new one but the old
> one was almost pitch dark as I remember.

I think they only re-built the one at DL, at least according to this: http://www.rcdb.com/267.htm
The one at WDW in Florida is still the same ride as when it was built, unless the site hasn't been updated for some odd reason. I don't know about the old one at DL, as I rode it before they rebuilt it and it was pitch dark in there.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 9/7/11 6:22:14 PM

> Space Mountain at WDW

> Funny you mention that...I remember hearing or reading (no
> idea where I heard or saw it) a rumor that something like 7
> people had been killed on that ride over the years because
> they stood up and were decapitated by the support
> structure. No idea if that's true or not but it's certainly
> plausible...

Not true in the slightest. The only death I am aware of on Space Mountain was from someone that had a preexisting health condition. I think it was heart failure or something like that. Otherwise no deaths on the ride. If they had even one death like that it would pretty much close the ride for good, let alone 7.

The vast majority of those "this ride killed so many people" stories are fake- especially at the major parks.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 9/7/11 11:04:41 PM

^^^Yeah, I figured that was a bad urban legend. Just like the urban legend saying that people were blown out to sea on the old Coney Island Parachute Drop.

Re: Ever Been Told to Put Your Hands Down? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/7/11 11:37:02 PM

> Not true in the slightest. The only death I am aware of on
> Space Mountain was from someone that had a preexisting
> health condition. I think it was heart failure or something
> like that. Otherwise no deaths on the ride. If they had
> even one death like that it would pretty much close the
> ride for good, let alone 7.

There have been a total of 3 deaths on Space Mountain, one at Disney Land and two at Magic Kingdom. You are correct in that they were all due to natural causes and no fault of the ride. The one at DL was a heart tumor dislodged and traveled to her brain and caused a massive stroke (talk about freak accident). At WDW one was a 73 Yr old man who died of a heart condition (probably the one you are referring to) and the other was a sad story - a 7 yr old boy with cancer died while there with a group that gives kids with cancer trips and such and he fainted while on the ride and subsequently died at the hospital. It was also due to natural causes.

Jen