Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11

Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
8/24/11 at
3:56:22 AM

On the first time for me to visit a park this year, I decided to go to BGA sandwiched in between my two VA hospital appointments. The VA hospital that I go to is in Gainesville, FL, and the two appointments were on the 22nd and 23rd of August. Why would the VA schedule me two back to back G-ville appts when they know that I live in Jacksonville? After coming from BGA, I drive to G-ville, and got a hotel there so I can catch my appt on the 23rd. Anyway, on to BGA...

I arrived in Tampa VIA I-75 staightshot from G-ville at about noon. The weather looked clear but as many Floridians know, that can change with the drop of a dime. On to the rides...

Gwazi(Lion): Gwazi(Tiger) was closed so I decided to check out Lion with the new Milli Flyer trains. It had a good mix of positive-G's and lats, not much air, but still a decent ride, and far better (smoother pacing) than with the old PTC's. I remembered one high banked turn had some very good lats that gave a good outta control feeling. This coaster reminds me of Cheetah at Wild Adv which also has MF Trains.

Sandstorm: I never ridden this before despite going to BGA a coupla times in the past, so I decided to check it out. It's about what you'll except from a flatride of this type, alot like Troika at CP. It was enough to keep the lil' ones thrilled. One thing that I noticed, the loading time is certainly hampered because the ride op hafta use a push key to unlock the riders from each car after the cycle. Not that this ride had tons of peeps in the que or anything.

SheiKra: Thanks to an afternoon thunderstorm, I had to wait teasingly in the loading area for over a hour to ride (not to mention the pretty long que time. I have ridden SheiKra with the old floored trains before in either the second or third row and the experience was decent, but kinda had that 'just okay' feeling so I definitely decided to ride in the front row with the new trains. The first drop in the front row was awesome! It felt exactly like Griffon in the front row. It was my first time having a lightheaded experience on a coaster, but I still enjoyed myself; It was somewhere between the first drop and the immelmann that started my lightheadedness. Even the second holding brake drop into the tunnel had some good air. It still ride as smooth as a block of ice. For me it's definitely an improved 360 degree experience from the old trains (in back rows) to new ones (in the front row). Griffon has the second immelmann, and terrain features; SheiKra has the second holding brake drop into the tunnel, and an awesome splash zone area that interact with the bystanders. IMO both of those coasters are about a tie, and I like Griffon alot.

Cheetah Hunt: This actually was the first coaster that I went to when arriving at the park. Looking from the front gate, all you can see from this coaster is the lofty pretzel knot with the African banners atop. The layout of this coaster is very well hidden, with it's many trenched tunnels, and low track. It also has a very unique layout from it's start with the launch that ultimately leads to the small banked turn half into the large banked turn half into the tunnel headed to the pretzel knot. I remembered two of the drops having very good air. The switching banked transitions, and heartline roll didn't seem to have any over the top airtime, but they still were nice additions. My only problem with this coaster is after the last (I believe third) launch, the track has no kinda features all the way to the station; It would've been nice for a second inverion (maybe a corkscrew) or something to be there instead of a mandatory push to the station with a coupla curves in between. Overall I give Cheetah Hunt a passing grade, but I can see if some of you thrill freaks that probably think that it's a lil' bland.

Those were all of the rides that I rode for the day, esp given that I already ridden all of the other coasters before (Montu, Kumba etc.) I hope that yall enjoyed the TR.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/24/11 8:04:30 AM

Cool TR, glad you got some rides and and I hope your appointments went well.

I haven't been there yet and Cheetah Hunt to me, a high thrill seeker, still looks like a lot of fun.

- mugen

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/24/11 2:35:04 PM

When Cheetah Hunt first opened I thought I would love it with 3 launches but the more I hear, the more I think I may be a bit disappointed when I get down there. But the good thing is now my expectations are lower so that may translate into a good experience.

I can't wait to try Sheikra - I LOVED her brother! I forgot they had floored trains on it when she first opened - that must make a huge difference in terms of ride experience.

Jen

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/28/11 9:23:27 PM

Oh snap! I was there the week before and that Monday. Maybe we could've done a whole day at the park together? :)

But when i was there the week before when both sides ran, I have to say 'thank god' for the MF trains. Lightyears better than the PTC cars [though the ride is still pretty rough, but tollerable]. For the first time on a wooden coaster I wasn't afraid to keep my arms in the air for the whole duration of the ride. I'm glad they had both Lion and tiger 'duel'*.

cheetah hunt - yeah I rode this first thing in the morning as well. [as opposed to taking a skyride to the back for Kumba]. Very fun ride, but then I realized that the other ride at the park, Rhino rally was missing the 'raft segment'. Observing the ride I saw that the 'trench run' was formerly part of Rhino rally. I was kinda disappointed about that move. But I guess it was for the best...
I have to agree that the ride overall was fine, it was the final turn into the final brakes outside the station that was just 'uncomfortable'. For the ride, it's best to keep both arms up in the air, otherwise it will 'chop your neck'. I totally hate those otsrs.

I'll 'eventually' post up my TR with slideshows, but I took a bunch of pics, so it might take me a while.

*sadly i heard about how Dragon challenge is now no longer dueling after another freak accident. that is total bs. For years it ran fine. I think the name change has "cursed the ride".

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by NotSo NotSo Profile at 8/29/11 11:57:45 PM

> Oh snap! I was there the week before and that Monday. Maybe
> we could've done a whole day at the park together? :)

Nice! That's the first time "oh snap!" has been typed since 1998! Wow... fail.

Just because we all just now found out Overbanked is black, doesnt mean we have to start regurgitating old sayings from In Living Color.

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/30/11 12:58:59 PM

NotSo wrote:
> Just because we all just now found out Overbanked is black,
> doesnt mean we have to start regurgitating old sayings from
> In Living Color.

Completely uncalled for.
Please stop.

Mike B.

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/30/11 9:15:59 PM

Too bad to hear not-so-exciting things about CH. But we have to think about what the park was trying to accomplish.

I rode one of Sheikra's twins "Dive Coaster" in Shanghai. Loved it, but Griffon's 2nd immelman make it much better.

- Pat-O

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/30/11 10:49:58 PM

> NotSo wrote:
> Just because we all just now found out Overbanked is black,
> doesnt mean we have to start regurgitating old sayings from
> In Living Color.

> Completely uncalled for.
> Please stop.

> Mike B.

I contemplated telling him he's a racist pig and and unleashing my wrath on him but I decided to heed some wise words you once wrote:

A troll is among us - let it starve.

Everyone on this forum needs to ignore any post he writes as if he doesn't exist and then he won't.

Jen

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 8/30/11 11:46:03 PM

^^^Exactly Jen, I'm not gonna feed him anymore.

> Too bad to hear not-so-exciting things about CH. But we
> have to think about what the park was trying to accomplish.

I dunno, maybe Cheetah Hunt was made to create a cross between a family-style coaster, and a not too intense thrill coaster.
IMO Cheetah Hunt's first half is good with first launch that leads into the first tunnel, the big airtime drop outta the high pretzel knot into the second tunnel, the second airtime hill into the third tunnel, and the heartline roll (an inversion that isn't known to give airtime). Unfortunately the anticlimactic second half of the MCBR is rather disappointing with the second launch that leads to the G-forceless switching banked transitions (special track that's well known to give ejector air on coasters) and the third launch over the airtime-less hill then a coupla uneventful turns that ultimately leads to the station. So CH in a nutshell is a coaster with a decent first half, but the second half is glaringly anticlimactic.

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/1/11 12:45:51 AM

> I contemplated telling him he's a racist pig and and
> unleashing my wrath on him but I decided to heed some wise
> words you once wrote:

> A troll is among us - let it starve.

> Everyone on this forum needs to ignore any post he writes
> as if he doesn't exist and then he won't.

> Jen

I agree, why is he still here?
ftr I didn't know what his race was and why would a 'line' make any difference? It's like the 'wassup' thing a while back - it's not exclusive to one group.

It was late and I was tired and probably said whatever i could think of at that point. Just a comment blown up over nothing.

Re: Busch Gardens Africa TR 8/22/11 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 9/1/11 9:45:31 AM

> I contemplated telling him he's a racist pig and and
> unleashing my wrath on him but I decided to heed some wise
> words you once wrote:

> A troll is among us - let it starve.

> Everyone on this forum needs to ignore any post he writes
> as if he doesn't exist and then he won't.

> Jen

> I agree, why is he still here?
> ftr I didn't know what his race was and why would a 'line'
> make any difference? It's like the 'wassup' thing a while
> back - it's not exclusive to one group.

> It was late and I was tired and probably said whatever i
> could think of at that point. Just a comment blown up over
> nothing.

Don't waste time explaining yourself - I guarantee no one else here thought anything of it and we all know you and you character and you would never say anything meant to offend someone in that way. His only purpose is to try and stir the pot and get people angry/agitated. As long as no one responds to him or acknowledges him any longer it won't be "fun" for him anymore and he'll go away. There are children on this forum that act more mature and respectful than him. It's actually quite sad.

Jen

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.