Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > coaster safety

coaster safety

dkanter69

Posted:
8/22/11 at
3:03:37 PM

Good afternoon all. A coworker of mine said coasters are dangerous. I told him the fault is on the rider at least in most cases. I told him a story about a man standing up on a lift hill and getting knocked over by the do not stand sign and killed.any thoughts on that issue? Also I just found out funtown in Saco me has a hundred foot woodie called Excalibur.Any one ride that? Thanks.

Dave

Re: coaster safety by Katie Katie Profile at 8/22/11 3:18:36 PM

Roller coasters are safe. However, they are machines and do malfunction. Nothing is perfect. You are correct about accidents as most of the time it happens by human error. Things like standing up, not wearing the proper safety equipment and so on can impact your ride.

There are accidents that happen that were due to negligence of the ride (therefore again human error).

The statistics are you could be in an accident on the way to the park, be hit by lightning and so on before ever getting into an accident while at an amusement park or due to a ride.

Hope this helps.

Re: coaster safety by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/22/11 3:42:56 PM

What does Excalibur at Funtown have to do with a "coaster safety" discussion. Let's stick to one topic or theme per thread please.

I've never heard of anyone standing on a coaster and getting knocked over by a sign. I'm certain that's a bunch of nonsense.

Re: coaster safety by dkanter69 at 8/22/11 5:05:21 PM

Thanks Katie for your help I don't know where you are located but in less than 2 weeks I will be heading to six flags new England in agawam ma and ride the cyclone there.hope its good weather.have a nice night and thanks again.

Re: coaster safety by dkanter69 at 8/22/11 5:15:10 PM

Sorry but as an aside I thought I might as well add an unrelated topic excalibur coaster.regarding the Guy who alledgely got knocked over by the sign. It was a boxed comment in a book about roller coasters. I don't remember the title but the authors last name was Urbanowicz or something similar.Have a nice evening.

Re: coaster safety by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/22/11 9:35:33 PM

> regarding the Guy who
> alledgely got knocked over by the sign. It was a boxed
> comment in a book about roller coasters. I don't remember
> the title but the authors last name was Urbanowicz or
> something similar.Have a nice evening.

Stevie U?

Wow, if he wrote it (IF he wrote that boxed comment) then I would believe it.
I haven't read anything he wrote but he seemed pretty knowledgable in person.
In a "these are the facts" way, not that "in my opinion" arrogance that is all too common.

Will soon be six years since he passed.

Mike B.

Re: coaster safety by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/22/11 10:15:18 PM

> Good afternoon all. A coworker of mine said coasters are
> dangerous. I told him the fault is on the rider at least in
> most cases. I told him a story about a man standing up on a
> lift hill and getting knocked over by the do not stand sign
> and killed.any thoughts on that issue?

Here's a good look at statistics:

The CPSC estimates there are between 3,000 to 3,500 accidents each year involving permanent amusement rides. Of those, just 2 percent are serious enough to require overnight hospitalization. There are an average three fatalities per-year related to amusement park rides -- or one fatality in every 90 million park visits. But CPSC and other studies show that only a small portion of ride-related injuries are caused by design, operation or maintenance problems. Most are the result of horseplay, patron negligence or situations unrelated to the operation or condition of the ride.

Hope that puts things into perspective - you have a better chance getting seriously hurt in a car accident to and from the park than while there.

Jen

p.s. The original link I got this from is:
http://www.themedattraction.com/coaster.htm

Re: coaster safety by squirrels at 8/23/11 7:35:21 AM

Also bear in mind that a lot of those injuries are from "backlot carnivals", where rides are disassembled and reassembled by carnies constantly on the move and things can get overlooked.

I'm sure if you looked at the stats for major professionally-run theme parks like Six Flags or Cedar Fair installations, those numbers are a LOT lower.

Re: coaster safety by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/11 9:03:44 AM

> Sorry but as an aside I thought I might as well add an
> unrelated topic excalibur coaster.regarding the Guy who

As Mike B. said, Steve Urbanowicz knew whereof he spoke. I spent nearly six hours in a Bayonne diner one night with Steve, talking coasters, along with many other topics under the sun. That was the year he died..2005. about a month after my Mom. When I read the above post about the person and the sign, it sounded to me like an urban legend. I have Steve's book, The Roller Coaster Lover's Companion. Maybe I'll take a quick look through it tonight and see if I can find that reference. If it was boxed, it might stand out.

Mike

Re: coaster safety by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/11 5:34:17 PM

> Also bear in mind that a lot of those injuries are from
> "backlot carnivals", where rides are disassembled
> and reassembled by carnies constantly on the move and
> things can get overlooked.

> I'm sure if you looked at the stats for major
> professionally-run theme parks like Six Flags or Cedar Fair
> installations, those numbers are a LOT lower.

Those stats I posted were for permanent rides - not carnivals/fairs.

Also keep in mind they are for ALL permanent rides - not just roller coasters.

Jen

Re: coaster safety by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/25/11 8:29:12 AM

> Sorry but as an aside I thought I might as well add an
> unrelated topic excalibur coaster.regarding the Guy who

From The Roller Coaster Lover's Companion by Steven J. Urbanowicz (1997) on Page 8 (boxed separately from text)

ROLLER COASTER FACT:

A man riding the late, great Bobs at Riverview Park stood up and turned to wave at his family while his train was traveling up the ride's lift hill. He was promptly knocked out of the coaster car by the ride's DO NOT STAND UP sign and fell to his death

True? Not? Take it for what it's worth. I don't know if Steve was responsible for those little "stand-alone factoids" throughout the book. Incidentally, the copy I bought (used..it's out of print) had several photos cut out by the previous owner. Ironically, Steve told me the publisher did NOT want a book that was heavy on pictures...

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: coaster safety by Ligtnin78nic Ligtnin78nic Profile at 8/25/11 12:00:03 PM

Coasters are safe if maintained right,and operaters paying attenion with no distractions.The same goes for the so called backlot carnivals as stated above.Those rides are made to be taken apart and put together over and over.Chance,and Zamperla make park models(fixed rides without trailers)and traveling models(with trailer)Its the maintance and the operator(s) that are responsible for how safe the ride is or coaster.The rider must due thier part and obey the rules and follow directions also=safe ride ;)

Re: coaster safety by Woopaw2010 at 8/26/11 6:59:49 PM

@ dkanter69, your coworker appears to be correct in telling you this.

I researched the information on coaster safety, and provide this link for everyone's edification.

http://http://www.rideaccidents.com/

Re: coaster safety by Katie Katie Profile at 8/26/11 7:21:05 PM

Ride accidents lists ALL accidents not just amusement rides.

This includes inflatibles.

Re: coaster safety by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/26/11 10:35:02 PM

All coasters are deathtraps!

I've ridden them since 1960 or so, and every single time (every time I tell ya!) I've come off the ride shaking like a leaf and am so grateful I survived another death defying ride that I fall to my knees and kiss the ground!
Then I promptly go back for a re-ride to kiss the sky.

I must be crazy or something.

Mike B.
(acting like a troll, but only because, in the immortal words of Charlie Brown, "I can't stand it!")

Re: coaster safety by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/27/11 2:12:11 AM

> @ dkanter69, your coworker appears to be correct in telling
> you this.

> I researched the information on coaster safety, and provide
> this link for everyone's edification.

Are you kidding me? What research? As Katie pointed out on that site (and others like it) inflatable bouncy rides are by far THE MOST DANGEROUS and account for most "ride" injuries on that site (and it mentions this on that site several times, I've gone through it before) And we are only talking about roller coasters here - not all rides.

Here's some REAL research:
From 2001 (and believe me, the statistics have not dramatically changed since then):
"The mortality rate for coasters is one in 90 million--and of the 34 people who have died in roller coaster-related accident in the last 26 years, the majority were not exactly practicing the safety rules."
Source:
http://www.carnegiemuseums.org/cmag/bk_issue/2000/sepoct/feat4.html

You have a better chance dying the following ways:

All figures below are for U.S. residents. The more specific figures are based on 2001, the most recent year for which complete data are available. Other odds, indicated with an asterisk (*) are based on long-term data.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds:

Heart Disease 1-in-5
Cancer 1-in-7
Stroke 1-in-23
Accidental Injury 1-in-36
Motor Vehicle Accident 1-in-100
Intentional Self-harm (suicide)1-in-121
Falling Down 1-in-246
Assault by Firearm 1-in-325
Fire or Smoke 1-in-1,116
Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.)1-in-3,357
Electrocution* 1-in-5,000
Drowning 1-in-8,942
Air Travel Accident* 1-in-20,000
Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-30,000
Legal Execution 1-in-58,618
Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above)1-in-60,000
Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above)1-in-83,930
Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting* 1-in-100,000
Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above)1-in-131,890
Dog Attack 1-in-147,717
Asteroid Impact*** 1-in-200,000
Tsunami* 1-in-500,000
Fireworks Discharge 1-in-615,488

** Perhaps 1-in-500,000

SOURCES: National Center for Health Statistics, CDC; American Cancer Society; National Safety Council; International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies; World Health Organization; USGS; Clark Chapman, SwRI; David Morrison, NASA; Michael Paine, Planetary Society Australian Volunteers

http://www.livescience.com/3780-odds-dying.html

So, you have a better chance of dying by getting struck by lighting while being mauled to death by a dog and stung by killer bees while an earthquake AND a tornado are simultaneously occurring at your location which cause you to discharge your fireworks prematurely than on a roller coaster.

Let's stop this nonsense please...

Jen

* This Post Has Been Modified *