Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report

GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
8/22/11 at
8:50:41 AM

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to hang up my enthusiast shoes. It appears that's the only way I'm ever gonna get to see, much less experience, a rollback on Kingda Ka. Seems like only casual roller coaster fans get to see that occurence. Yep, it happened again..second time this summer. Pull into the parking lot a little before 4pm. My friend/co-worker Donna, making her first visit in at least 13 years, is duly impressed with the sight of the large green monster. So Donna says, "I just saw a train go back down the same track it went up." I said, "You gotta be kidding!" Sure enough, I had missed another rollback, confirmed by a worker, just like I did with Gina in June. The ride at that point was shut down and never re-opened. We had been planning to ride that first, so we headed to Nitro instead. Donna prefers OTSR's, not feeling as safe with simply a lapbar. The park wasn't particularly crowded, and Nitro was a two train wait for the back. She loved it, screaming like a little girl (she's 52.)

We got off Nitro close to 4:30, and headed across the park. When I had described Superman to her, the idea of a flying coaster seemed to appeal to her. We were gonna hit Toro, then Superman and Green Lantern. Wasn't to be. A thunderstorm came in, and didn't leave for almost two hours. We took refuge in the Attitudes gift shop, and the store ended up having half the floor covered with water. All rides were shut down, except Dark Knight, and, well, you know..

When it finally let up, it was about 6:30. Nothing was cycling yet, so we walked into the Golden Kingdom so Donna could get a closer look at KK (yes, Jen, other women are interested in him too!) I saw (and actually heard!) Green Lantern, but when we walked over there, I saw Superman cycling, so we headed there. Got on the second cycle after the rain. And she enjoyed the heck out of that too. There was an announcement that the fireworks were cancelled. There was also a concert scheduled that I didn't know about until arriving, featuring Gym Class Heroes and Nicole Scherzinger from the Pussycat Dolls. That was scheduled for 5, so I assume that was cancelled too, since that was the height of the storm.

The line for GL had increased to about 25-30 minutes while we were on Supes. We were on the stairs when the announcement was made that the park was ceasing operations due to further oncoming inclement weather. We waited a bit in GL's station, but Donna was a bit chilly, so we hit the car to get her extra t-shirt and vest. Started raining heavy again with lightning while we were sitting in the car talking. We waited until 8:30, and gave up and split.

4.5 hours at the park. Two rides.

We wanted to get a drink before heading home. There's an Irish pub about to open near the park. I had seen the signs that it was coming on recent visits, and the actual signage was up now. It appears to be close, but is not yet open. Next time. So we hit Tommy's by the KFC/LJS. I had a SoCo/OJ and Donna a glass of wine. I only had the one drink, but somehow decided to do karaoke for the first time in my life. Since I can't carry a tune in a paper bag, I picked a favorite of mine that really does not involve much "singing"...Werewolves Of London. I actually did okay. Might even try it again next time. I had been to Tommys under its previous management many years go, but it's a nice place to have a drink after the park..despite a REALLY sour, unfriendly waitress.

Probably my last GAdv visit until October, unless an offer comes my way.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/22/11 10:07:33 PM

> When it finally let up, it was about 6:30. Nothing was
> cycling yet, so we walked into the Golden Kingdom so Donna
> could get a closer look at KK (yes, Jen, other women are
> interested in him too!)

Which is exactly why I shouldn't be judged for my brief affair with Griffon. Like I don't know what goes on when I'm not there, all of those women riding him and that whole "I'm a roller coaster, it's my job" excuse is geting old - he's a tramp! (LOL - I need SO much help!)

Jen

Re: GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/11 12:12:27 PM

> When it finally let up, it was about 6:30. Nothing was
> cycling yet, so we walked into the Golden Kingdom so Donna
> could get a closer look at KK (yes, Jen, other women are
> interested in him too!)

> Which is exactly why I shouldn't be judged for my brief
> affair with Griffon. Like I don't know what goes on when
> I'm not there, all of those women riding him and that whole
> "I'm a roller coaster, it's my job" excuse is
> geting old - he's a tramp! (LOL - I need SO much help!)

> Jen

I showed Donna your post. I shouldn't have to explain your relationships to people outside our "inner circle." She wanted to know who "Griffon" was. I loved the "I'm a roller coaster, it's my job" line.

Michael (for the moment)

Re: GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/23/11 6:12:24 PM

She wanted to know who "Griffon"
> was.

> Michael (for the moment)

I would have answered "a mythical creature with the head of an eagle and the body of a lion" and really confused the hell out of her! LOL!

Jen

Re: GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/24/11 12:22:46 AM

I went today and had a "bad" visit too.

only got 3 nitro rides and a Toro ride. Add in that we had a line cutter fiasco at toro and today was just not pleasing.

We got there at like 3-3;30 and left at 7 or so. When we got there there was a 30 minute inspection time for the rides due to the earthquake reaching there as well. Nothing looked out of the ordinary so idk how bad the tremors were in Jackson.

sucks you guys only got two rides in, seems like the end of summer dates are a little less forgiving :(

- mugen

Re: GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report by squirrels at 8/24/11 7:17:50 AM

> We got there at like 3-3;30 and left at 7 or so. When we
> got there there was a 30 minute inspection time for the
> rides due to the earthquake reaching there as well. Nothing
> looked out of the ordinary so idk how bad the tremors were
> in Jackson.

Likely very mild, but they have to be sure.

I was wondering about that myself.

Re: GAdv 8/19..TR, But Not Much To Report by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 9:09:27 AM

> > I was wondering about that myself.

My first thought was for friends I have in the area, including a couple I've met through this forum. My second was relief that it wasn't catastrophic. My third was for the people who were at KD and SFA. My fourth was for my other friends in the area..the mechanical ones. I'm heading down there for my birthday weekend two weeks hence.

Mike

>