Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Where the hell is Kevin Reid?

Where the hell is Kevin Reid?

sparky sparky Profile

Posted:
8/20/11 at
10:10:55 PM

This is hysterical. Almost a pointless/intentional move to install a second custom-designed B&M mega style coaster at Kevin's former home park (and second wife in many ways). The years of Kevin routing for his park while they installed SLCs, Volares, Italian Jobs, and other low capacity/gimmicky attractions. Then he moves to PEI and the park immediatly begins adding marquee attractions.

Even if Leviathan is almost as pointless as Fahrenheit was at Hershey, I need to know where Kevin Reid is.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by drachen drachen Profile at 8/20/11 10:52:14 PM

> This is hysterical.
> The years of Kevin routing for his park while they
> installed SLCs, Volares, Italian Jobs, and other low
> capacity/gimmicky attractions. Then he moves to PEI and the
> park immediatly begins adding marquee attractions.

Define irony, right? I'm sure he'll make it down there next year.

> Even if Leviathan is almost as pointless as Fahrenheit was
> at Hershey, I need to know where Kevin Reid is.

Unlike most, I actually like Fahrenheit more, and consider Storm Runner the pointless coaster.

Having yet to go to Canada's Wonderland, I have to say that I can't consider Leviathan pointless. These two coasters are right up my alley. You can't have too much of a good thing, can you?

And if Cedar Fair can justify the $$ for this ride, then more power to them. We should all be so lucky as the canucks.

That may be the first time that phrase has ever been uttered...

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/21/11 7:37:44 AM

> Even if Leviathan is almost as pointless as Fahrenheit was
> at Hershey, I need to know where Kevin Reid is.

The last we heard from him they were living on a farm in Nova Scotia. The boys are either in college or close to graduating. He made an appearance sometime ago.

By the way since I saw your appearance Mark are you or anyone else planning PPP this year?

Patripman

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by sparky sparky Profile at 8/21/11 7:38:01 AM

While you may prefer Fahrenheit more, since Storm Runner predates it, that's where the pointless factor comes in. The two rides may not be identical in nature, but just appear too similar to me in appearance, etc.

I'm with you on liking the B&M megacoasters (SFoG's is my favorite steel coaster). And I also agree that CW deserves capital investment on this level. But there are so many other marquee level rides that would have made more sense than installing a ride so similar to one they just put in. Plus, they essentially are taking a step backwards in the train development dept as CF had the tiered train design done for them when Behemoth was conceived to open the sightlines for riders. Another more minor point is why the 8 row trains? Every other B&M megacoaster with this train design (from BGW to SFGAm to SFGAd, etc) runs 9 row trains.

World's tallest (300 ft) Dive Machine would have made *far* more sense. They've already got a gorgeous pond in the center of this area of the park (which also is home to a high dive show) which the ride could have used for a splashdown finale.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by sparky sparky Profile at 8/21/11 7:40:37 AM

One last point. There are other parks in the system that this layout would have worked in....namely KBF (where the turnaround would have been directly over the main entrance plaza/shopping area. Makes one wonder....

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by squirrels at 8/21/11 11:22:52 AM

> While you may prefer Fahrenheit more, since Storm Runner
> predates it, that's where the pointless factor comes in.
> The two rides may not be identical in nature, but just
> appear too similar to me in appearance, etc.

While roller-coasters are aesthetically interesting as well, I am confused as to why you judge them primarily this way.

One is a hydraulic launch coaster with a top-hat feature and a couple of twists and rolls. The other is a vertical chain-lift coaster with a past-90 drop and a BUNCH of unique inversions and features.

I'm not even sure what looks the same aesthetically. They don't use the same train design, they don't use the same color layout, and StormRunner more follows the curves/geography of the park, whereas Fahrenheit seems built in a way that it could be "transplanted" if it ever had to be. What's the same, the shape of the track boxing?

Maybe it's that you think they're both "fast sit-down inverters", I guess. I'm not sure how much variety you can get in roller-coasters, though. What would you like, another woodie? Hershey has 3, one of which is top-ten among wooden coaster fans regularly (Lightning Racer). Maybe a hyper? Floorless? Wing-rider? They're building one of those in 2012. B&M coaster? Great Bear is still a very strong invert despite most people thinking it's "too short". Stand-ups are painful for a lot of people, flying coasters are gimmicky, 4D coasters are even MORE gimmicky.

I honestly think it's because HersheyPark has a good grip on what THEIR customers want. They're not trying to compete with the CPs and GAdvs of the world for the "coaster king" title. They just want to make sure that they offer ENOUGH coaster-ing and good enough coaster-ing to keep the "big kids" entertained. I think Storm Runner was so popular in its early days that if they had another coaster that was distinctly different, but gave the same nature of "thrill", it would be just what their guests were after.

Now I think there's so much hype around "hypers" that Hershey wants to have an offering in that arena as well. They're not trying to steal the crown.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by sparky sparky Profile at 8/21/11 12:48:11 PM

> While roller-coasters are aesthetically interesting as
> well, I am confused as to why you judge them primarily this
> way.

> One is a hydraulic launch coaster with a top-hat feature
> and a couple of twists and rolls. The other is a vertical
> chain-lift coaster with a past-90 drop and a BUNCH of
> unique inversions and features.

> I'm not even sure what looks the same aesthetically. They
> don't use the same train design, they don't use the same
> color layout, and StormRunner more follows the
> curves/geography of the park, whereas Fahrenheit seems
> built in a way that it could be "transplanted" if
> it ever had to be. What's the same, the shape of the track
> boxing?

They absolutely run identical rolling stock- just that Storm Runner has 2 trains of 5 cars each and Fahrenheit has 3 trains of 3 cars each. Same train design, same restraints, etc.

> Maybe it's that you think they're both "fast sit-down
> inverters", I guess. I'm not sure how much variety you
> can get in roller-coasters, though. What would you like,
> another woodie? Hershey has 3, one of which is top-ten
> among wooden coaster fans regularly (Lightning Racer).
> Maybe a hyper? Floorless? Wing-rider? They're building one
> of those in 2012. B&M coaster? Great Bear is still a very
> strong invert despite most people thinking it's "too
> short". Stand-ups are painful for a lot of people,
> flying coasters are gimmicky, 4D coasters are even MORE
> gimmicky.

While a vertical lift and launch into vertical incline are different ride experiences, both rides feature near/beyond vertical drops as their main feature thrill element. Fahrenheit does have the "Norwegian Loop", which I think is the best part of the ride, but all in all they both feel very similar.

> I honestly think it's because HersheyPark has a good grip
> on what THEIR customers want. They're not trying to compete
> with the CPs and GAdvs of the world for the "coaster
> king" title. They just want to make sure that they
> offer ENOUGH coaster-ing and good enough coaster-ing to
> keep the "big kids" entertained. I think Storm
> Runner was so popular in its early days that if they had
> another coaster that was distinctly different, but gave the
> same nature of "thrill", it would be just what
> their guests were after.

I think the Fahrenheit project was a total waste from a marketing perspective. Unlike Storm Runner, they got one good year out of it and then it melted into the attraction mix. I would be willing to bet that most guests still consider Storm Runner to not only be the better ride, but also the park's marquee steel coaster (until next year at least).

Hershey has a long history of putting in short and "incomplete" rides. This looks to be continuing in 2012. Not sure what they have against 3 train operation (Fahrenheit's is pointless as they stack every cycle- it may as well be a 2 train operation).

> Now I think there's so much hype around "hypers"
> that Hershey wants to have an offering in that arena as
> well. They're not trying to steal the crown.

I applaud them for doing something different with SkyRush. Just a bit let down at the short ride length.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by sparky sparky Profile at 8/21/11 4:03:30 PM

> By the way since I saw your appearance Mark are you or
> anyone else planning PPP this year?

You saw my appearance?

The plan is to be there (we've only missed one since 1997). Got a room booked. Not that it will be hard to spot him because he is probably 7 feet tall now, but are you and Dom heading there?

Re: IMPORTANT CW INFO... by GSutton at 8/21/11 4:08:01 PM

Hopefully anyone planning on traveling to Canada (Canada's Wonderland) is aware that it is now required to have a Passport or "Enhanced Driver's Identification" which the latter costs about $100.00. You'll have big border issues without either of these documents...

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by squirrels at 8/21/11 8:57:46 PM

> Hershey has a long history of putting in short and
> "incomplete" rides. This looks to be continuing
> in 2012. Not sure what they have against 3 train operation
> (Fahrenheit's is pointless as they stack every cycle- it
> may as well be a 2 train operation).

A lot of those coasters, for safety specifications, they don't like running too many trains at the same time. You said it yourself...the rides are short. By the time a coaster has gone far enough that they feel it's "safe" to dispatch a second, the first is almost to the station. Why run a third and just let it "stack" if they can't load it efficiently?

One of the things I liked about Maverick at CP is that they can load two trains at once. That certainly makes a difference. Of course, they're small trains.

> I applaud them for doing something different with SkyRush.
> Just a bit let down at the short ride length.
>

That seems to be the consensus, but given their current layout I don't know how much longer they COULD have made SkyRush. There seems to be some debate about Hershey's decision to use so much real-estate for their waterpark or how they managed their coasters, but I'm sure there's a LOT more to it than the average person knows. There's also a conception that HersheyPark "owns" Hershey, PA and can get more land whenever they want for whatever they want...which doesn't seem to be the case necessarily.

The design of SkyRush has to intersect classic coasters like the Comet and SuperDooperLooper...coasters that, at least for Hershey, are virtually "historical landmarks", and apparently they don't have an easy time getting permission to "do stuff" in the creek.

I think Fahrenheit, for what it is, is a "complete" coaster. Not long, but with that many loops and rolls, maybe it's not supposed to be.

StormRunner...yeah, it seems to fall flat at the end...but when you think about it in comparison to other Intamin launch-coasters, most of them have 300-400 foot top-hats...it's almost as if the "rest" of StormRunner was tacked on to make up for the short height. When you think about launch-coasters...most of them are just straight up 400', then straight down. Not long at ALL, really. The reason those coasters are so awesome, though, is that they DELIVER during that entire short time. StormRunner delivers as well, despite being not as tall.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but I really like that coaster for some reason...I think HersheyPark and Intamin really hit on something with StormRunner. It's a shame there aren't more coasters that followed from that "short top-hat, twisting coaster" theme.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/21/11 10:10:49 PM

Storm Runner sits just outside my top 10 steel coaster list. When it was first built I waited almost 2 hours and even after riding it numerous times I would wait that long again if I had to. I love that coaster. The first time I rode Fahrenheit, in 2008, I thought it was a good coaster. This year we rode it front seat and I liked it even more. Lightning Racer is on my top 10 wooden coaster list. The Comet is a good classic coaster and Great Bear is a B&M invert. All B&M inverts are good rides. 2012 Hershey will add Skyrush, which I'm so excited about. Most of you are disappointed that it's only 3600 ft., but I believe it will still be a great ride. I love Hershey's coaster collection. They have unique, fantastic coasters. I'm predicting that Skyrush will be the best ride in the park. My biggest complaint about Hershey is the long lines. Cedar Point has long lines, but you never stop moving. They have long lines because there is a ton of people in line. Hershey lines move slow. It's like they have no aspiration to dispatch trains in an efficient manor. In June when we got to Wildcat not only were they running 1 train but half the seats were closed off. Same thing with Lightning Racer. The time it took to ride Thunder once and Lightning once was ridiculous. If all the seats were open and they were running 2 sets of trains we would have ridden it 5 or 6 times in that same time frame. The only thing that worries me about Skyrush is how many hours am I going to have to spend in line before I get to ride it. If they would to correct this problem, I wouldn't have anything negative to say about the park.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by Patripman Patripman Profile at 8/22/11 6:34:08 AM

> By the way since I saw your appearance Mark are you or
> anyone else planning PPP this year?

> You saw my appearance?

> The plan is to be there (we've only missed one since 1997).
> Got a room booked. Not that it will be hard to spot him
> because he is probably 7 feet tall now, but are you and Dom
> heading there?
>

That is the plan. He is done with school and he wants to go this year. The campground is booked so it is either wait for a campsite cancellation or hotel it for the weekend either way it looks like we will be there.

Patripman

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by drachen drachen Profile at 8/23/11 11:07:29 AM

> While you may prefer Fahrenheit more, since Storm Runner
> predates it, that's where the pointless factor comes in.
> The two rides may not be identical in nature, but just
> appear too similar to me in appearance, etc.

I understand your point. I just think Fahrenheit is an improvement over Storm Runner. They are both good rides, but there is a lot wrong with both.

> I'm with you on liking the B&M megacoasters (SFoG's is my
> favorite steel coaster). And I also agree that CW deserves
> capital investment on this level. But there are so many
> other marquee level rides that would have made more sense
> than installing a ride so similar to one they just put in.

I would agree that the timing is odd, but that's it. I really think that even though the visual similarities between the two coasters are obvious, the ride experiences will be very different. The similarities really end with the visuals.

> Plus, they essentially are taking a step backwards in the
> train development dept as CF had the tiered train design
> done for them when Behemoth was conceived to open the
> sightlines for riders. Another more minor point is why the
> 8 row trains? Every other B&M megacoaster with this train
> design (from BGW to SFGAm to SFGAd, etc) runs 9 row trains.

I guess I don't get the lack of a 9th row. Perhaps there are using a single chain to lift the train, and the 9th row is was eliminated for weight considerations.

Regarding the train, I'm actually glad they went with the "old" design. For one, it is different than Behemoth's. I'm just excited that we can go 300 ft into the air again with only a lap-bar holding us in. That was never going to happen with Intamin.

> World's tallest (300 ft) Dive Machine would have made *far*
> more sense. They've already got a gorgeous pond in the
> center of this area of the park (which also is home to a
> high dive show) which the ride could have used for a
> splashdown finale.

Oh, I completely agree on the Dive Machine. That would have eliminated all of the complaining about this ride. (Well, maybe...) Additionally, getting a 300 ft dive machine would pretty much have indicated that Cedar Point was getting an even bigger one...

Did Busch pay B&M for a period of exclusivity on these dive machines? I don't get it. They are reliable. They draw crowds. They are great rides. I don't get why Six Flags and Cedar Fair haven't gone in that direction yet.

> One last point. There are other parks in the system that
> this layout would have worked in....namely KBF (where the
> turnaround would have been directly over the main entrance
> plaza/shopping area. Makes one wonder....

I've read this "Leviathan was meant for another park" thing all over. I have my doubts. You know, as well as I, that these things take a lot of time to survey, engineer, and design. Leviathan looks to be to be custom designed for Canada's Wonderland, particularly the turn around in the island.

Additionally, Knott's may still be adding their own 300 ft coaster next year. Time will tell.

> Hershey has a long history of putting in short and
> "incomplete" rides. This looks to be continuing
> in 2012. Not sure what they have against 3 train operation
> (Fahrenheit's is pointless as they stack every cycle- it
> may as well be a 2 train operation).

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

What do they have against 3-train operation? Money.

It costs money to build a longer ride that requires three trains. It costs money to purchase a third train. It costs money to maintain a third train. It costs money to staff a ride for three train operation. Three trains means more ride cycles, and more wear on lifts, brakes, etc, and more stress on the structure.

Not that any of these are good reasons, but they sure do value the dollar in Hershey...

> I applaud them for doing something different with SkyRush.
> Just a bit let down at the short ride length.

Let down at the short length and height. They got approval for 212' and cut it off at 200', leaving us with a 190'-ish, 85 degree drop, only 10 feet taller than the 180 foot, 90 degree drop on Storm Runner.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by Capler at 8/23/11 4:32:45 PM

Kevin got old like the rest of us. Last I saw him, he was trying to get his Hoveround onto Behemoth but they would not allow it. He left the park broken hearted vowing never to return. It was so sad seeing such a great man reduced to such. I think I'll send him a can of spotted dick over to the home, Canadians like that, I think?

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 8/31/11 12:28:45 PM

I am here in Prince Edward Island (PEI) 1800 KMS away from my beloved park. I just could not believe my eyes when Adam (no 1 son) told me to look at the Wonderland site. For years I dreamed of hearing that B&M roar at Wonderland. Moved to PEI in 2006 and have only been back to Wonderland twice in 2008. Looks like 2012 is a must to visit. My last roller coaster ride was April 2009 at Las Vegas.

www.PCWjunkies.com is temporarily not available because I am to lazy to figure out how to host it at godaddy.com. So what do I do for excitement. In the summer I cut grass 5-7 acres on my Kubota TG1860. In the winter I blow snow and we also fell in love with cruising. Crusing is our new passion. I am on Facebook.

When I moved back to PEI I was working at Honeywell Aerospace for 4.5 years and I recently changed jobs and I am now a Controller at a much smaller company but still in the Aerospace Industry.

I just booked marked URC on my work PC so should be able to check in more often during my lunches. At Honeywell I would not dare personal surf the internet.

The only thing I miss from not living in Newmarket/Toronto is Candada's Wonderland. I don't miss the traffic, rat race, crowds etc.

It is kind of funny since with the Labour Day weekend coming up when we lived in Toronto we normally would make our trip to Kings Island. Our first visit to King Island was Labour Day 1997 and it was shortly after that when I first found this little site called Ultimate Roller Coaster. Started posting and discovered a whole new group of friends.

I have checked into URC a few times over the past 5 years but I am hoping not be such a stranger in the future.

Regards,
Kevin Reid
Wonderlandless here in PEI.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 9/3/11 11:45:11 AM

Kevin you're missed! Great to hear from you.

Re: Where the hell is Kevin Reid? by Patripman Patripman Profile at 9/3/11 8:17:15 PM

Hey Eric are you PPP bound this year?

Patripman