Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters

Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters

boulderdashlc

Posted:
8/18/11 at
2:07:21 PM

Name your top 5 roller coasters you've been on.
Here are mine-

5) Rolling Thunder @ Six Flags Great Adventure
4) Cannonball @ Lake Winnie, GA
3) Wildcat @ Hershey Park, PA
2) Wildcat @ Lake Compounce, CT
1) Boulder Dash @ Lake Compounce, CT

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/11 2:29:10 PM

Boy do you like pain - Wild Cat AND Rolling Thunder?!

Mine off the top of my head would be:

1. Griffon @ BGE
2. Kingda Ka @ SFGadv
3. El Toro @ SFGAdv
4. Tie between Millennium Force and Magnum @ CP
5. Nitro @ SFGAdv

Honorable mention to Storm Runner, Raptor, Wicked Twister, Volcano, Diamondback and Superman (SFA)

Jen

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/18/11 2:47:57 PM

> Name your top 5 roller coasters you've been on.
> Here are mine-

> 5) Rolling Thunder @ Six Flags Great Adventure
> 4) Cannonball @ Lake Winnie, GA
> 3) Wildcat @ Hershey Park, PA
> 2) Wildcat @ Lake Compounce, CT
> 1) Boulder Dash @ Lake Compounce, CT

ROLLING THUNDER? You've been to Hershey, because you've ridden wildcat, but you somehow like Rolling Thunder better than Lightning Racer? Same thing if you've been to Six Flags Great bAdventure, was El Toro not built yet?

I'm confused.

Mine

1.) Nitro - SFGAdv
2.) El Toro - SFGAdv
3.) Griffon - BGW
4.) Bizarro - SFNE
5.) Apollo's Chariot - BGW

I waiver a lot on my #5 and if I get to Canada's wonderland and Holiday World next year I have a feeling my top 5 will change a lottt.

- mugen

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/11 3:12:40 PM

> Boy do you like pain - Wild Cat AND Rolling Thunder?!

And the OTHER Wildcat..I guess you haven't had the "pleasure," Jen...it's even ROUGHER than its Hershey namesake.

>Michael

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/11 3:25:00 PM

I like lists....

1. El Toro

2. Ravine Flyer II
3. Voyage
4. Beast
5, Intimidator 305

The gap above is intentional.

That is all.

Mike

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/11 3:31:52 PM

> And the OTHER Wildcat..I guess you haven't had the
> "pleasure," Jen...it's even ROUGHER than its
> Hershey namesake.

> >Michael - LMAO - you're killing me!

I have not had the "pleasure" and I think I'm happy about that if it's worse then Hershey's (didn't think that was even possible but after riding Grizzly, I realize there are others up there with it too in terms of roughness and pain). I suppose one person's pain is another person's pleasure.

Jennifer (he he he)

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/11 3:46:04 PM

I have not had the "pleasure" and I think I'm
> happy about that if it's worse then Hershey's (didn't think
> that was even possible but after riding Grizzly, I realize
> there are others up there with it too in terms of roughness
> and pain). I suppose one person's pain is another person's
> pleasure.

It's a very old (1927) coaster that has not held up well or been well maintained. Boulder Dash, on the other hand, you'd love. They've also got the prettiest little boomerang I ever did see.

> Jennifer (he he he)

:)

L.F. Dinner

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by squirrels at 8/18/11 4:24:24 PM

Bear in mind I've been to the following theme parks this year:

- Kings Dominion, Doswell, VA
- HersheyPark, Hershey, PA
- Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ
- Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH

Despite all that, I've never actually stopped to RATE the coasters I've ridden.

Honorable mentions, in no particular order:

El Toro
Millenium Force
Chang (Green Lantern)
Dominator
Intamin launch top-hats Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster
B&M inverts Great Bear and Batman-The Ride

Here's my top 5. Numbers 1, 2, and 3 are pretty obvious for me. It's at #4 where a lot of them start to blur, and I had to make some tough calls between lots of very impressive coasters.

#5 Raptor (Cedar) - This coaster is the best B&M invert that I've ridden yet. It was reminiscent of Batman: The Ride at Great Adventure, but it seems to maintain the same excitement without the gray-out intensity that Batman put on my 6-flags crew. The ride is remarkably well-laid-out, seemingly providing just enough space between "features" (inversions) to allow the rider to catch his/her breath.

I don't know if it's the inverted design, but Raptor's "cobra roll" is probably the best I've ever ridden. Most cobras give a vague sort of "lost in space" feeling in the middle transitioning between corkscrews...not Raptor. The middle-section of its cobra-roll (first ever on an invert) feels like a purposeful stroke of the coaster and makes the cobra feel like three elements wound together, instead of just two. Definitely a classic.

#4 Fahrenheit (Hershey) - While the top 3 are pretty easy to rifle off, 4 and below are not quite so easy. There were many coasters that could have claim to the bottom 7 of my top ten. But I've always been one for creative inverted coasters. There are a dozen B&M coasters that are competitive in this arena, but I have to give the nod to Intamin on this one. Fahrenheit is unique right from the word-go, in that it uses a straight vertical life and a PAST-vertical drop...giving the rider the effect of "airtime" on the first drop. Its norwegian loop and double-corkscrews keep the rider guessing from the first drop all the way until the end.

What's even more interesting is that Intamin takes a coaster that only makes about 54MPH and, by having it constantly looping and rolling in on itself, increases the perception of speed to something similar to a 70MPH hyper-coaster. Add in some tight turns and even a little air-time thrown in there for the "traditionalists". The one complaint a lot of people have is that the ride isn't long enough...but honestly, so much is packed into that short interval that it makes it worth it to ride.

#3 StormRunner (Hershey) - Some may regard this as an odd choice, but I have dreams about this roller coaster, so I have to include it. :) Certainly not Intamin's tallest launch-coaster...that honor goes to Kingda Ka. However, it is the only Intamin top-hat coaster I have ridden that actually has a ROLLER COASTER after the top-hat launch. Approaching speeds of 70some MPH, you get a small chunk of that KdK/TTD race straight up and down (about 150ft if memory serves). But the ride doesn't end there...it proceeds through several inversions, including an immelman, a heartline roll, and what Intamin calls a "snake dive", a sort of distorted diving loop.

The presentation of the coaster is excellent as well. As it taxis out to the launch-track, it seems almost as if the station crowd falls quiet and an eerie "whooooo" is played through speakers, giving a feeling that you really are about to experience something supernatural. The only REAL complaint I have about this ride is that it ends WAY too soon, due to HersheyPark's typical real-estate cramping issues. If it had maybe 30 more seconds of ride and another feature, StormRunner would be at #1.

#2 Intimidator 305 (KD) - As someone who has always been all about loops, twists, and corkscrews, I've always found traditional "hypers" to be a little underwhelming. Little did I know that "more speed" could solve that problem for me in a hurry. At 93MPH off of the first drop (with the notorious "trims" removed after the reprofiling), I have NEVER felt airtime like this coaster provides.

Furthermore, unlike his sister Millenium Force, I305's overbanked turns are MUCH tighter and lower to the ground. The first right-hand turn after the initial drop is the first time I had EVER experienced "gray-out" on a roller-coaster. At those speeds, they become almost like "horizontal loops". Before riding this coaster, I honestly regarded the "coaster wars" (more height, more speed) as a joke. But after I305...I am a believer.

#1 Maverick (Cedar) - This is one coaster that exceeded ALL expectations. Given that it wasn't very high or fast, didn't look all that intense visibly, had only a few inversions, etc, I really expected to be underwhelmed by it. As I said in my CP TR, the LSM high-speed lift coupled by a 90* vertical drop stack on SO much speed SO fast that this little sucker reaches speeds of 70MPH, which seems to be the "magic number" for speed-coasters for me.

The sense of speed is GREATLY increased by how close to the ground the coaster is and the scenic ground features of the park in that area. The twists are very aggressive and the rolls, including the "twisted horseshoe", do not disappoint. The only downside is that the twists can sometimes bounce your head off of the Intamin restraints, so keep your eyes open and try to anticipate.

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/11 6:20:38 PM

1) El Toro: SF Great Adventure
2) I305: Kings Dominion
3) Behemoth: Canadas Wonderland
4) Millennium Force: Cedar Point
5) Tie Hades: Mt. Olympus

Bizzaro: SF New England
Honorable mention: Goliath: SF Over Georgia, Titan: SF Over Texas, Nitro: SF Great Adventure, Voyage: Holiday World, Intimadator: Carowinds
These are the only 11 coasters that I rate a perfect 10 out of 10

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/18/11 7:53:16 PM

Verry difficult to rank, but naming my top five would certainly include: Montu, MF, RFII, original Voyage and Beast, KI & Carowinds Top Guns (Flight Deck and Afterburn) - not sure how any of these run now.

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by Coaster14bl Coaster14bl Profile at 8/19/11 1:33:09 AM

My 5 ae as follows:
1) X - nothing imo compares to that first drop
2) MF - still waiting to see what happens when I ride I-305
3) TTD - a one trick pony, but what a great 1 trick
4) Maverick - one intense ride from start to finish
5) The Beast - without the magnetic trims, my all-time favorite

Honorable Mention:
Kumba
Raging Bull
Renegade
Prowler
Hades
Raven
Cyclops

This could change next year as I will visit SFGreatAdv, Hershey, Dorney, Knoebels and Kennywood for the first time

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/19/11 8:14:15 AM

RobLec wrote:
> Verry difficult to rank, but naming my top five would
> certainly include: Montu, MF, RFII, original Voyage and
> Beast, KI & Carowinds Top Guns (Flight Deck and
> Afterburn) - not sure how any of these run now.

Good point re how a coaster may be riding now...as opposed to the last time ridden. Which could be years ago.

Our memory of a ride is what is important.
Riding a coaster now versus last time will obviously remake that memory. Especially after a season or two, we always hope for it to be at least as good as our memory of it.
Sadly, that is quite often not true (I agree with Rob's "original Voyage" comment!).

Mike B. (who "can't" rank...I always forget one or two!)

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by Coaster3.16 at 8/19/11 9:19:14 AM

5. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer Park
4. Legend - Holiday World
3. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
2. Phoenix - Knoebels
1. Grizzly - Kings Dominion

- Jeff

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/19/11 12:39:25 PM

> - Jeff

Who dat?

;-)

Mike B.

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by DarkwingDuck DarkwingDuck Profile at 8/19/11 7:29:03 PM

> Mine off the top of my head would be:

> 1. Griffon @ BGE
> 2. Kingda Ka @ SFGadv
> 3. El Toro @ SFGAdv
> 4. Tie between Millennium Force and Magnum @ CP
> 5. Nitro @ SFGAdv

> Honorable mention to Storm Runner, Raptor, Wicked Twister,
> Volcano, Diamondback and Superman (SFA)

> Jen

Jen !!! OMG !! I have to tell yah... the 1st day we were there at CP Magnum got stuck right before it drop!!! peeps where ask to walk the steps!!! OMG if that was me they would have needed a crane to get me down the next day it was running and I said I will never be on it... thank God Bart insisted we do it!! I love it!!!

Ok back to the topic with my lil experience compared to all of you...

1- Griffon (BGE)
2- Millenium Force (CP)
3- Nitro (SFGAdv)
4- El Toro (SFGAdv)
5- Superman Ride of Steel (SFAm)

not sure of list will change will tell you later going to finish this season at BGTampa and Sea World...

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by pyl-driver pyl-driver Profile at 8/19/11 9:36:52 PM

1. Maverick- Cedar Point(I love how intense this is)
2. X2- SF Magic Mt.(Just like #1, like the intensity)
3. Top Thrill Dragster- Cedar Point(ahhhhh what a rush!!!)
4. Millenium Force- Cedar Point
5. Ragin' Bull- SF Great America(havn't been on the big brothers, apollos chariot, nitro, or goliath to compare)

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/20/11 1:41:11 AM

Hard call here, as there are lots of mediocre coasters and it gets tougher to rank them as you ride more and more of them.

In no particular order, I'd say my top 5 are:

Millennium Force (awesome drop and blistering speed)

Top Thrill Dragster (probably the best coaster rush ever, even though it is very brief)

The Voyage (even though my back and neck can only take a little of this coaster it is still IMO the most mind-blowingly intense woodie I've ever been on)

Intimidator (at Carowinds; I'm thinking I-305 at KD might rank in my top 5 when I ride it again this fall now that it has been re-profiled)

Lightning Racer (at least the last time I rode it, haven't been to HP in a while).

Honorable mention:

Volcano at KD

Ravine Flyer 2

Storm Runner at HP

Afterburn at Carowinds
Goliath at SFMM

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/20/11 12:26:56 PM

I can't combine wood and steel so here my Top 5 in each category:

WOOD

1. Voyage
2. The Beast
3. Legend
4. Lightning Racer
5. American Thunder

STEEL

1. Raging Bull
2. Afterburn
3. Alpengeist
4. Storm Runner
5. Maverick

G-Dog

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/20/11 2:14:28 PM

Hmmm......off the top of my head

Steel

1.Bizarro-SFNE

2.I-305

3.MF

4.Maverick

5.Nitro

Wood

1.Voyage by far!!

2.El Toro

3.Boulder Dash

4.Ravine Flyer II

5.Legend

P.S. Beast is my most loved coaster.Night rides on there are majestic!!!

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 8/22/11 11:53:15 AM

hmm

1. Millenium Force at Cedar Point (yea yea)
2. Maverick at Cedar Point
3. Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point
4. Montu at BGA
5. Manta at Sea World Orlando

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by ray_p ray_p Profile at 8/22/11 6:38:14 PM

Mine change quite often, but my #1 is an Undisputed Champion... sort of like the exceedingly lame Alberto Del Rio in WWE.

5. Renegade - Valleyfair
4. Apollo's Chariot - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
3. Twister - Knoebels
2. Millennium Force - Cedar Point
1. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by John_Knotts John_Knotts Profile at 8/23/11 1:01:23 AM

Wood:

El Toro
Voyage
Ravine Flyer
Tremors
Apocalypse

Steel:

Texas Giant
Diamondback
X2
Bizarro
Green Lantern (SFMM)

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by Link Link Profile at 8/23/11 3:39:54 AM

#1: Voyage
#2: Wicked Twister
#3: Diamondback
#4: Gemini
#5: Adventure Express

No, I'm not joking. I LOVE Adventure Express. So BITE ME! -_-

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by coastinj coastinj Profile at 8/23/11 4:04:56 AM

Like some of the more recent posts I can not combine wood and steel and give an onverall top 5. I can say what my favorite coaster period is and it has that spot for a major reason, it has everything about a ride I love. nice height, speed, laterals, forces, and unique. And that ride is Montu

now for my top 5 of each in no particular order

Wood:

El Toro
Voyage (opening year)
Phoenix
Raven
Thunderhead

Steel:

Montu
Big Bad Wolf
S:ROS (SFA)
Stormrunner
Diamondback

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/23/11 12:07:28 PM

I'm gonna follow the lead of some others above and revamp my list of 4 wood/1 steel into two lists. Because it's probably like comparing grapes to pears..that IS the expression, right?

Wood

1. El Toro
2. Ravine Flyer II (haven't rode since '09)
3. Voyage (haven't rode since '07)
4. Beast
5. (Tie..I just can't limit myself!) Boulder Dash/Lightning Racer

Steel

1 Intimidator 305
2. Superman SFA
3. Millennium Force
4. Nitro
5. (Tie..I know, it's a cop-out!) Dominator/Afterburn

Mike

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 8/24/11 9:39:48 AM

Wood: 1) Voyage (rode 1st HWN)

2) El Toro

3) Thunderhead

4) White Cyclone

5) Legend

Steel: 1) Kawesemi

2) SD2K

3) Dodonpa

4) PR

5) Nitro

Ok that's it for today, it might be different from my profile list. I'm getting too old to remember all the coasters I've been on anyway.

-Tim

Re: Name your Top 5 Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/24/11 9:43:42 AM

> 4) PR

I didn't know there was a coaster called Public Relations :)