Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park

5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park

natfrolic

Posted:
8/18/11 at
1:20:04 PM

hi-
We are about to head off to Hershey Park for our first time. Our son is 5 1/2 and just over 48 inches. This means he is tall enough for a few of their coasters. (YAY! Says his coaster loving mom.) However- I've never been to Hershey- what do you think? Are the rides good for a big 5yr old? Or will he freak out?

For some context, he's a speed seeker, loved riding the slingshot at Coney island, has grooved on all coasters he's been on, esp. little ol' Vapor Trail at Sesame Place and the spinny one at Coney Island Luna Park. The rides he doesn't like are the big swinging ships that lift you out of your seat.

Thanks for all input!

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by Katie Katie Profile at 8/18/11 1:24:13 PM

Obviously if he can ride a Sling-Shot and he likes coasters, what's the big deal? Take him on something easy at first and work his way up. My kid was riding at 3 years old and he hasn't stopped.

You know your own child. If you don't think he can handle it, don't make him. If he wants to ride, he can do so safely. The whole point is going to have a good time.

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by natfrolic at 8/18/11 1:41:15 PM

Thanks Katie-
I guess I'm looking for someone who can give me the info for Hershey Park specifically, like what is the best one to start with? I don't know between Sooperdooperlooper, Comet, Lightning Racer, and Sidewinder.

Have you been there? What does your little guy like there?

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/11 2:06:32 PM

> Thanks Katie-
> I guess I'm looking for someone who can give me the info
> for Hershey Park specifically, like what is the best one to
> start with? I don't know between Sooperdooperlooper, Comet,
> Lightning Racer, and Sidewinder.

> Have you been there? What does your little guy like there?

As for intensity I'd say least to most intense are for his height: Trailblazer, Wild Mouse, Comet, Lightning Racer (has great hills so if he is apprehensive about big hills, you may want to move this one down on the list but it's a great, fun coaster), Sooper Dooper Looper (this would actually be a nice "gateway" ride to the full steel inversion coasters that he's too short to ride as of now), Sidewinder (it can be a little rough - not terrible IMO but for a new rider who doesn't know how to ride Boomerangs defensively yet, may bang him around a little) and last Wild Cat (I personally won't ride this ever again - very rough but a child who can withstand the jostling may love it. Word of advice: do not sit in the back seat on this one). Do not miss the Wild Mouse either - the BEST mouse in the country - very fast with virtually no trim brakes! A lot of fun and he'll probably love it (as will you).

Have fun and let us know how he did!

Jen

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by natfrolic at 8/18/11 2:34:26 PM

What a PERFECT response Jen! Exactly the info I needed.

We probably won't go until the very end of August/start of Sept. to get as small crowds as we can, but I will let you know how he does. (And how I do- I am dying to go onto some of the biggies myself! Isn't that what husbands are for? "Love, you take the kiddie for the next hour, Mama has to go ride Fahrenheit.)

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 8/18/11 3:00:17 PM

I would definitely start off with Trail Blazer, then Comet, SooperDooperLooper, Lightning Racer, etc. If he isn't a big fan of Racer I wouldn't do Wildcat just because it is more rough. I don't know about Sidewinder that one is a little rough on the neck, although from my experience it seems as though kids do fine on Sidewinder and not the adults.

As for you and your wife you MUST ride Storm Runner, I absolutely love that coaster, in my opinion the best in the park (try and sit in the front row).

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/11 3:11:24 PM

> What a PERFECT response Jen! Exactly the info I needed.

> We probably won't go until the very end of August/start of
> Sept. to get as small crowds as we can, but I will let you
> know how he does. (And how I do- I am dying to go onto some
> of the biggies myself! Isn't that what husbands are for?
> "Love, you take the kiddie for the next hour, Mama has
> to go ride Fahrenheit.)

I guess marriage does have its benefits after all LOL! The line for Fahrenheit will fluctuate so if it's really long (more than 30 - 40 minutes) go back to it later. And don't forget Storm Runner - wait for the front row on that one - TOTALLY worth the extra wait, it's the best seat in the house - it's my favorite coaster in the park. And get a back row on Great Bear - better forces. Hit The Claw too - it's a fun flat pendulum type ride but watch it before you go on - some seats hit the high point more than others and you can see which side it is and go to it when you board (you can choose your seat).

Have fun!
Jen

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by squirrels at 8/18/11 4:35:31 PM

5 is young, but if he's digging it, turn it up gradually and see how he reacts. Trailblazer should definitely be no problem. Great "starter coaster".

Comet never beat me up too bad...I enjoyed it from a young age. I know my little brother was shocked a little by it but it was the first coaster he had ever ridden. If he has issues with "air-time", Comet should be a good judge.

The Wild Mouse should be a good gauge of how he is with heights...it's relatively mild as most mouse-coasters are, but that sensation in a turn of being flung over the edge will surely get his attention.

If you think he can step up to the inversions, then there's the SuperDooperLooper. That was my first "upside-down" coaster ever, and it doesn't do a whole lot after the loop, so if it freaks him out there's plenty of time to calm down.

I wouldn't go much further than that at age 5 unless he's begging for it, and even then the height limit may stop him. :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/18/11 4:47:58 PM

>> If you think he can step up to the inversions, then there's
> the SuperDooperLooper. That was my first
> "upside-down" coaster ever,

Mine too! 1977 school class trip...6th grade, I believe.

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/11 5:30:53 PM

> The Wild Mouse should be a good gauge of how he is with
> heights...it's relatively mild as most mouse-coasters are,
> but that sensation in a turn of being flung over the edge
> will surely get his attention.

The Wild Mouse at Hershey is the absolute best Wild Mouse I've ever been on because it's far from tame. They run it with virtually NO trims, unlike every other mouse in the country. So mild for a mouse, it is not - fun it definitely is! What mouse do you think is better than the one at Hershey? I haven't found one yet and have been on many.

Jen

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/18/11 6:39:09 PM

My youngest son just turned 6 in June. We were at Hershey in June. He rode everything he was tall enough for and he was 49 inches. Loved every coaster except Sidewinder, that hurt his head. Take in consideration he was 48 inches tall last Halloween when we went to Cedar Point. He rode Millennium Force so everything else he has ridden this year has been smaller and less intense. He loves wooden coasters. SDL was his favorite coaster at Hershey.

Re: 5 yr old on coasters at Hershey Park by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/18/11 8:32:05 PM

When I was little I had a major issue with the butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling (or the "wee" feeling) while going down the drops, which steered me away from going on anything with a tall, steep drop, including log flumes. I finally overcame that issue when I was 19 when I was at, of all places, Wildwood, NJ in 1984! I started with the smallest coaster, which was the Flitzer, then worked my way up. I didn't ride my first looping coaster until 2 years later, when I first rode the Enterprise (flat ride), then the Katapult (on Nickels Midway Pier), then finally the Sea Serpent!