Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > It's National Roller Coaster Day!

It's National Roller Coaster Day!

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
8/16/11 at
8:39:05 AM

Happy National Roller Coaster Day to everyone on URC! Heck, why limit it to our little fraternity/sorority (frarority?) To everyone else as well!

I ain't ridin' today :(

If you are, take one for the beastmaster!

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/16/11 9:21:27 AM

> Happy National Roller Coaster Day to everyone ...

And Happy RCD to you too!

> I ain't ridin' today :(
> If you are, take one for the beastmaster!

I'll be riding Thursday night... KI employee ride night. Unlimited rides on Beast and DB! I'll be sure to think of you.

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/11 9:23:29 AM

> Happy National Roller Coaster Day to everyone ...

> And Happy RCD to you too!

> I ain't ridin' today :(
> If you are, take one for the beastmaster!

> I'll be riding Thursday night... KI employee ride night.
> Unlimited rides on Beast and DB! I'll be sure to think of
> you.
>
They gonna open SOB for you? If so, give me a buzz..I'll call in sick :)

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/16/11 12:15:08 PM

Happy RCD!

I rode yesterday and got 52 nitro rides in! Such an AMAZING day. That employee riding day sounds awesome! Enjoy!

- mugen

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/11 12:16:30 PM

> Happy RCD!

> I rode yesterday and got 52 nitro rides in! Such an AMAZING
> day. That employee riding day sounds awesome! Enjoy!

> - mugen

I hate you with all my heart right now. J/K!!..or AM I?

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/16/11 1:09:55 PM

> Happy RCD!

> - mugen

I think it's CRAZY to ride anything 52 times - don't you get bored? I get bored after 4 - 5 rides on my favorite coasters and need to move on.

Happy RCD to all - even to you psychos who ride the same coaster 52 times in one day! :~)

Jen

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/16/11 2:24:47 PM

Hell no! We rode it about 24 times then went to KFC. Came back and rode it the rest. I rode batman twice, el toro, and gl once as well.

Me - 52 rides
My friend squid - 56
My friend Kenny - 40

We love Nitro, we always find something new to look at, and yesterday I took a lot of cool pictures too. We also wanted to beat our personal best of 31 rides in a day on it.

Such an amazing day. It rained at opening, stopped at like 11:30-12. They ran all the rides in the rain anyway besides KK obviously so that was awesome. The best part, NO ONE WAS THERE. NO ONE. 150 cars maximum in the parking lot. It was beautiful in mid day, and it was just one of those days where you wish it was like that everyday.

I guess I got an early present for my birthday with how great Monday was :D

BTW, how do you guys feel about taking photo's while on the ride with a cell phone?

- mugen

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/11 2:34:27 PM

> BTW, how do you guys feel about taking photo's while on the
> ride with a cell phone?

> - mugen

Well, it's against the rules, so that's my take.

Call me old-fashioned, but the rules are posted for a reason. Sgt. Hackemer, anyone?

Mike

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/11 2:35:54 PM

> Happy RCD!

> - mugen

> I think it's CRAZY to ride anything 52 times - don't you
> get bored? I get bored after 4 - 5 rides on my favorite
> coasters and need to move on.

> Happy RCD to all - even to you psychos who ride the same
> coaster 52 times in one day! :~)

> Jen

52? Amateurs. :)

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/16/11 3:09:35 PM

> - mugen

> Well, it's against the rules, so that's my take.

> Call me old-fashioned, but the rules are posted for a
> reason. Sgt. Hackemer, anyone?

> Mike

I know it's against the rules, that's a fact. Was just asking about people's opinions on it here.

Hey! All 52 times were amazing, no regrets here!

- mugen

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/16/11 3:21:14 PM

I know it's against the rules, that's a fact. Was just
> asking about people's opinions on it here.

> Hey! All 52 times were amazing, no regrets here!

> - mugen

I think it's against the rules for a reason. If it poses no health risk to anyone (i.e., secured to a shoe like that one guy had or on a VERY short strap secured tightly to your wrist) then I have less of a problem with it. If you are holding out a loose cell phone or camera (even with a long strap) you are endangering other people should it slip out of your hand, never mind losing a valuable piece of property so I think that's just stupid on many levels.

Most parks have video cameras in various places on coasters now so if you're caught you will be ejected. Is it really worth risking that for a photo op? Not in my opinion.

Jen

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/16/11 3:22:27 PM

> - mugen

When I'm riding coasters I wear shorts or pants that have zippered pockets. This way it is impossible for any loose articles to fly out. I don't think any loose articles should be allowed on a coaster. I have seen objects flying through the air numerous time, while riding coasters. Just because someone didn't secure them. For example look at all the cell phones in the container in the Que line of Diamondback. In your defense, while I was at Mt. Olympus I saw a guy take front seat and whip out a video camera the size of a small television. It was in plain view of the ride ops when they checked his restraint and they let him ride with it. If he would have lost hold of it it would have killed someone. I personally would love to shoot videos and photos while I'm riding coasters, but I realize it's a safety hazard. I would feel terrible if my loose object hit someone. If one of my kids were to be hit by a loose object, the person who was responsible for that object better run as fast as they can as soon as the train hits the station. So I'm strongly against hats, cell phones, video cameras, backpacks, purses, or any other loose articles on coasters. I know you were probably very cautious and had a death grip on that phone. But if you let teenagers and the idiots of the GP carry loose articles onto rides, your begging for a disaster.

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/16/11 4:04:32 PM

> - mugen

> When I'm riding coasters I wear shorts or pants that have
> zippered pockets. This way it is impossible for any loose
> articles to fly out. I don't think any loose articles
> should be allowed on a coaster. I have seen objects flying
> through the air numerous time, while riding coasters. Just
> because someone didn't secure them. For example look at all
> the cell phones in the container in the Que line of
> Diamondback. In your defense, while I was at Mt. Olympus I
> saw a guy take front seat and whip out a video camera the
> size of a small television. It was in plain view of the
> ride ops when they checked his restraint and they let him
> ride with it. If he would have lost hold of it it would
> have killed someone. I personally would love to shoot
> videos and photos while I'm riding coasters, but I realize
> it's a safety hazard. I would feel terrible if my loose
> object hit someone. If one of my kids were to be hit by a
> loose object, the person who was responsible for that
> object better run as fast as they can as soon as the train
> hits the station. So I'm strongly against hats, cell
> phones, video cameras, backpacks, purses, or any other
> loose articles on coasters. I know you were probably very
> cautious and had a death grip on that phone. But if you let
> teenagers and the idiots of the GP carry loose articles
> onto rides, your begging for a disaster.

@ Jen, I feel ya there. Short strap is something that bothers me less, now if someone has a phone out with no strap or something then it bothers me, especially when they are directly in front of you.

@frontrow, you are right in every way. If I had a kid that was hit by an object and injured or worse...I would be in jail for my retaliation to the person who lost the object.

I didn't say I was taking any video or photo's while ON the ride earlier, but anyway, I will admit I did at one point with my iphone. I regret doing it in a way, because of the reasons we just talked about. #1 it's against the rules and #2 it endagers others. At the same time, I was in the back row, no one behind me, and I didn't want to lose my phone. (I had jeans on, and my friend who had it in his pouch pocket most of the day went to the car, I needed it to communicate with him later). I didn't want to lose it, so I just held on to it in my hands, instead of a loose jeans pant pocket. People are given their flip flops, hats, whatever, back to them and told they have to take it with them. So people are holding on to objects all the time on the ride. I disagree with that, and wish people could leave their stuff at the station. And f they are told to keep their hat/flip flops/ ect. I think the train should be unlocked and they should sit on them.

Anyway, I do feel bad about it. I broke the rules that I am fully aware of and I most likely won't do it again. I had to hold onto it anyway in this situation, so I snapped some pictures while in the last row. They are pretty amazing pictures too, but it doesn't justify anything in the fact that it was still wrong to do.

I really wish that Six flags will go back to the old ways of where you can place things at the station. Cedar Fair does it, and it could save me and millions of people the worry of holding an object, and it could potentially save people from getting injured.

As for what front row was talking about with a guy with a huge camera, that is utter craziness. A phone is one thing, but for that, I would have to say the ride should be open to only him and at a scheduled time. I don't see how they let him on with something that big.

- mugen

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/16/11 4:58:07 PM

I wasn't kidding about the size of that camera that guy had on Hades. I was next in line for the next train in the front row. I saw that camera and thought the ride ops would take that thing away from him but they didn't. Loose objects on rides have become an issue lately. The backpack incident on California Screamin was one. Dragon Challenge is now running both trains, but they are releasing them at separate times not allowing them to duel. Not only was there the incident where the man went blind, but since then 2 other incidents have been reported that someone was struck by an object while the coasters were crossing paths. The parks are going have to do something about this or more accidents will happen. Like you said they should have lockers or bins on all coaster plat forms. Have another person working who's only priority is to take your loose items and stow them away until you return.

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/16/11 8:14:08 PM

I didn't know about the injury on Dragon Challenge (AKA Dueling Dragons) you mentioned below. Someone was blinded? How awful. When we return to IOA this winter I'll have something "new" to tell my family.

Anyway, I've told both these stories here before, but will repeat them since you already raised BOTH topics.

> When I'm riding coasters I wear shorts or pants that have
> zippered pockets. This way it is impossible for any loose
> articles to fly out.

I've lost stuff from both buttoned and velro'd pockets in cargo shorts on TTD... even lost a lanyard from around my neck and tucked into my shirt. Wish they made more pockets with zippers.

> I have seen objects flying
> through the air numerous time, while riding coasters. Just
> because someone didn't secure them. For example look at all
> the cell phones in the container in the Que line of Diamondback.

True story: my first ever ride on DB, at an employee-only event before it opened to the public, I sat near the back and on the first drop there was a cell phone floating in the air from someone up front. Possibly he had been trying to take a picture, but also possible it just slipped out of his pocket. Everyone on the train was reaching up trying to catch it. Of course it was way out of anyone's reach. They always appear to be much closer than they really are.

Re: It's National Roller Coaster Day! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/16/11 9:26:49 PM

> I didn't know about the injury on Dragon Challenge (AKA
> Dueling Dragons) you mentioned below. Someone was blinded?
> How awful. When we return to IOA this winter I'll have
> something "new" to tell my family.

I posted it here:
http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=216866

Didn't know they changed the way they are dispatching the ride and had other incidents.

Jen

Re: Injury on Dragon Challenge by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/16/11 9:35:14 PM

Thanks - I do remember seeing that thread, but it soon disappeared off the bottom of my screen when some $#&^% resurrected the dreaded Mantis thread.

Re: Injury on Dragon Challenge by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/16/11 10:01:45 PM

> Thanks - I do remember seeing that thread, but it soon
> disappeared off the bottom of my screen when some $#&^%
> resurrected the dreaded Mantis thread.

LMAO! Don't hold back Rob, tell us how you really feel 8~)

Jen

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.