Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Final Destination 3..Coaster Sequence Revisited

Final Destination 3..Coaster Sequence Revisited

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
8/15/11 at
3:31:51 PM

Some of you may have seen one or more of the FINAL DESTINATION movies, and may remember that the central incident that set Part 3 in motion was a roller coaster derailment with multiple fatalities. I've enjoyed these films quite a lot, although I haven't seen Part 5, currently showing at a theater near you.

Lat night, before I hit the hay, I turned on the TV for a bit, and FX was showing the first movie. So I caught the end and saw that FD3 would follow. I decided to watch it, since I had never seen it since its theatrical release several years ago, and my hearing loss caused me to miss much dialogue at that time (captioned on FX.)

So I watched it all the way through. Coupla thoughts.

1. The opening credit sequence is very effective, featuring some great visuals of a Zipper, swings, carousel, and of course, the main attraction.

2. There's a tongue in cheek reference to Mr. Six, of Six Flags notoriety. At the film's carnival, there's a well-built, tuxedoed, African-American gentleman cruising the midway, participating in silly dances with fair-goers.

3. The mind set I have about roller coasters...an obsession, if you will..makes it a weird experience to watch the accident that kicks off the flick. While it's harrowing and excruciating to watch for someone like me, it's also easy for me to appreciate how well-staged it is, and that it's basically a fantasy sequence..since the odds of an accident on this scale actually happening are extremely long..although, as we all know, accidents can and do happen occasionally.

4. The coaster in question, called Devils Flight in the movie, features hard plastic OTSR's like the ones on Anaconda and others that are escaping me at the moment. They may do the job in reality, but they sure weren't a big help to these poor souls.

5. The movie was written by Glen Morgan and James Wong, veterans of the X-Files..a TV show I enjoyed. One or both must be a fan of the Ramones..one shot in the heroine's bedroom focuses on a Joey Ramone bobblehead doll. And when the train is held up in the station while several would-be victims are removed, the remaining passengers start up a "Hey-Ho, Let's Go!" chant in their impatience.

Okay, that's my pop culture ramble for the week. Thanks for readin'. Anyone has any thought's on the flick, there's
plenty of space below...

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Final Destination 3..Coaster Sequence Revisited by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/15/11 5:02:47 PM

Hey Mike - glad you enjoyed the movie. I have all of them on DVD and will be seeing #5 in IMAX tomorrow. The real kicker about #3 of course is that coasters just aren't made the way that is shown in the movie. This "fantasy" coaster has hydraulics on board the train, which spring a leak. Of course, real world coasters use pneumatics and it is all in the rails, not the train.

FWIW I like #2 the best. It has a more mature storyline. The freeway accident as shown could actually happen, and the victims all later realize that they are there as a result of being spared during the first movie. It gets a bit hokey near the end with the whole "new life" bit, but the deaths scenes are all highly intricate and imaginative. Comparatively, #3 and especially #4 were more like B-movies.

Re: Final Destination 3..Coaster Sequence Revisited by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 8/15/11 8:39:36 PM

The coaster in the movie is an Arrow looper, though I'm not sure what coaster was used for the movie, as I didn't think to check the credits at the time when I rented the DVD. Actually I think that that restraints on most coasters are mechanical - i.e. ratcheted. You can often hear if not feel the clicking on lapbars and OTSR's as they are closed down, so that would indicate some kind of ratcheting system. Hydraulic pressure would indeed be a bad idea, safety-wise, to keep restraints in place on a ride. If it was employed, there would have to be some kind of mechanical back-up measure in case of a catastrophic failure (as seen in the film!). When you hear about deadly failures of restraints it is usually attributed to those restraints not being closed down enough, not the failure of the ride mechanism itself.

While I have found the first three Final Destination movies to be a mostly fun exercise in black humor (terminally stupid people doing things that are mind-blowingly idiotic and then paying the price), that coaster sequence really brings to light what likely lurks in the backs of the minds of most anyone (especially those who are ignorant of how rides work and how redundant safety devices often are) who has ever been to an amusement park and ridden rides of any kind.

I hate to say it but I do think of that film rather often when I'm at a park, even though I know that a coaster like that wouldn't exist in the real world, unless it was incredibly poorly maintained AND the owners weren't under any government oversight. And, there were no lawyers around to file suit against said negligent park owner!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Final Destination 3..Coaster Sequence Revisited by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/16/11 8:47:05 AM

> Hey Mike - glad you enjoyed the movie. I have all of them
> on DVD and will be seeing #5 in IMAX tomorrow. The real
> kicker about #3 of course is that coasters just aren't made
> the way that is shown in the movie. This
> "fantasy" coaster has hydraulics on board the
> train, which spring a leak. Of course, real world coasters
> use pneumatics and it is all in the rails, not the train.

> FWIW I like #2 the best.

Me too.

I'd rank #1 at #2, and #3 and 4 both chronologically and in quality.

Mike

Re: Final Destination 5 (OT) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/16/11 10:11:52 PM

> I'd rank #1 at #2, and #3 and 4 both chronologically and in quality.

Saw #5 today in RealD. Better than #4 but still not that great.
Interesting (and unexpected) tie-in with the first two.

Gore was so over-the-top that many in the audience were laughing.
Worth the $6 senior price I paid, but probably not much more.

Y'all just be careful now...

Re: Final Destination 5 (OT) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/18/12 8:30:54 PM

Yay! My search for this thread was successful!

I just finished watching FD5 from Netflix. Yes, Rob, agreed, wery cool and unexpected tie-in to #1...I didn't really pick up a real connection to #2. I liked it more than your comments above indicate you did. I actually watched the last 5 minutes multiple times...usually the movie goes back in the sleeve as the credits roll (extras are rarely captioned, so I only want to see the flick.)

I dunno if they'll make more, but the last one made money...so, in the words of Sean Connery's last outing as 007, Never Say Never Again.

Mike

Re: Final Destination 5 (OT) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/18/12 9:02:06 PM

Glad you finally got to see it. I felt it was just okay, beyond the cool "prequel" tie-in. I saw it first run in 3D, and just recently added the Blu-ray to my collection when the price finally dropped... primarily for no other reason than owning the complete collection.