Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Back Issues On GAdv Rides

Back Issues On GAdv Rides

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
8/10/11 at
10:40:34 AM

There's a slight possibility I'll be taking a co-worker to GAdv next Friday, the 19th. They sent me a bonus Bring A Friend offer, and it expires that day. I get off work at 1, she at 1:45. I figure some camp/church/school groups will split around the time we get there. We'll do some rides, and catch the fireworks, which I understand are only on Friday night this year.

To my question: Donna asked me if any of the rides could pose problems for her back. I really can't speak to that, as I don't really have any back problems...everything else, yeah, LOL!

I figure Rolling Thunder might give her some trouble, but that's the only one off the top of my head. Can anyone shed some light on GAdv's other rides, vis-a-vis back problems?

Mike (GA three times in 2.5 weeks?)

Re: Back Issues On GAdv Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/11 10:52:04 AM

It depends what kind of back problem she has, how severe it is and where it is located. If it's disc related she shouldn't ride any coasters. Need more info before I can really make an educated response.

Jen

Re: Back Issues On GAdv Rides by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/10/11 11:59:54 AM

I have had a bulged lumbar disc for about a year and a half. For the first 6 months or so after the injury I avoided coasters all together.

After a 5 weeks of spinal decompression treatment, I was in minimal pain, travelled to China, and had on back probs on coasters whatsoever.

2 months ago I rode Boardwalk Bullet - very intense woodie, all curves with PTCs, and only a small amount of discomfort.

My advice to your friend would be start with the smooth steel, see how it feels, and transition to the woodies if its OK. But, like my doctors have told me, if it hurts, dont' do it. Stop immediately.

- Pat-O

Re: Back Issues On GAdv Rides by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 8/10/11 12:16:55 PM

> There's a slight possibility I'll be taking a co-worker to
> GAdv next Friday, the 19th. They sent me a bonus Bring A
> Friend offer, and it expires that day. I get off work at 1,
> she at 1:45. I figure some camp/church/school groups will
> split around the time we get there. We'll do some rides,
> and catch the fireworks, which I understand are only on
> Friday night this year.

> To my question: Donna asked me if any of the rides could
> pose problems for her back. I really can't speak to that,
> as I don't really have any back problems...everything else,
> yeah, LOL!

> I figure Rolling Thunder might give her some trouble, but
> that's the only one off the top of my head. Can anyone shed
> some light on GAdv's other rides, vis-a-vis back problems?

> Mike (GA three times in 2.5 weeks?)

I'm sure you already know that all coasters/rides have the warnings posted before you enter the Q concerning riders' health issues, etc. Most all mention heart/back I think...

~MommaBeast

Re: Back Issues On GAdv Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/11 1:37:11 PM

I think for the most part people like us who ride all the time and are aware what types of forces are exerted know what's OK for us and what's not (even if we don't follow it) but someone who doesn't ride often with some sort of ailment will be greater affected. They aren't skilled in defensive riding.

Even when we ride new coasters they can throw us off. When I went on Superman at SFA I had no idea about the hard brake at the end and since I wasn't prepared for it, I banged up my left knee pretty badly. The next few rides on it, I braced for it and was fine so familiarity with the rides is also important in preventing further injury.

If she has chronic back issues any coaster could aggravate it or potentially make it worse. The spine takes the brunt of the forces exerted on our bodies.

Even we get sore and banged up after a long day at a park so imagine how someone who's not used to riding with a back problem may feel.

As Mommabeast said, those warnings are there for a reason. Whether we listen to them or not is another story...

Jen

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Back Issues On GAdv Rides by alpengeistno3 at 8/10/11 2:26:15 PM

I know you are not going to want to hear this, Mike, but El Toro in the back seat would NOT BE RECOMMENDED :)

Paul

Re: Back Issues On GAdv Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/11 2:30:17 PM

> I know you are not going to want to hear this, Mike, but El
> Toro in the back seat would NOT BE RECOMMENDED :)

> Paul

LOL! He's leaving her at the office!

Jen

Re: Back Issues On GAdv Rides by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/11/11 10:28:27 AM

El toro when it does those fast turns in the bac of the ride. If you get caught leaning the wrong way it can be a rude awakening. Although....I guess if you just have your back leaned back and your sitting correctly you should be ok.

All the other rides have high back support so she should be good!

- mugen