Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder

Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder

Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile

Posted:
8/9/11 at
7:25:25 PM

I know Kings Dominion's Rebel Yell and Six Flags Great Adventure's Rolling Thunder are both racing wooden coasters...in fact I've heard or read somewhere that in 1979, the year Rolling Thunder opened, The Rebel Yell was the "Rolling Thunder" in SFGadv brochure photos and commercials that year. Anyway, I've been wondering...besides both being racing woodies, are both coasters similar as far as ride experience? I know the layout of both coasters is different, with Rolling Thunder crisscrossing itself, making it almost like a figure 8 and one track having a fan curve at the far turnaround and Rebel Yell going straight out and straight back with the far turnarounds going in opposite directions. Have people compared Rolling Thunder to Rebel Yell?

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/9/11 9:10:03 PM

If I could be "beamed up" to either one right this minute, my choice would be Rebel Yell. It is simply more enjoyable.

Truth to tell, tho, I always take a spin on RT when at SFGAdv (and am disappointed when only one side is running, quite the norm these days).

Mike B.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by alpengeistno3 at 8/9/11 9:49:52 PM

Same can be said for Rebel Yell running only 1 side nowadays, but as far as ride experience, there is no contest. Rebel Yell hands down. "Rotting Lumber" is a mess of squealing, ungreased, pot-holey track.

Paul

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/11 10:23:57 PM

When Rolling Thunder first opened it was a great coaster. It was one of my favorites. Now, it's barely a shell of what it used to be. The way SF let that ride deteriorate is practically criminal. Rebel Yell, on the other hand, has been kept in very good condition. I loved that coaster when I rode it at 9 years old and when I rode it again this year, I was impressed with it's upkeep. Since I compare most old racers with the upkeep of RT, it's not hard to make me happy.

As for the ride itself, I think they are pretty different. All racing woodies are similar IMO but I didn't think of the old RT when I rode RY. I like RY better personally (comparing to when RT was in good shape but since that was so long ago, my memory may not be very good). I think it has better airtime and better hills but that may be because it's not screeching against rust, slowing it's momentum like RT. I also think RT was rougher, even when it was in good condition - lots of turns. I honestly can't remember the last time RT was in ride-able condition.

When we were at SFGAdv they were actually running both tracks on RT for a bit, which I have not seen in a while. Paul commented that it is not that hard to dispatch both trains at the exact same time (which they were quite off on) LOL.

RY only had one side running when I was there but there was NO line for it.

Jen

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/9/11 11:50:11 PM

I understand capacity issues and the cost of running rides, wear and tear, cost of paying an additional operator...but why have a racing/dueling coaster only run one train?

Everyone notices...the GP notices...and it gives us all the impression that the park no longer cares. The park doesn't care about the experience of the guests, the park doesn't care about the ride, the park is just keeping the ride going until it can come up with something better.

Just my thoughts. I understand the economics, but that's how I feel when a park doesn't operate its ride to full enjoyment capability.

- Pat-O

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/11 11:59:14 PM

> I understand capacity issues and the cost of running rides,
> wear and tear, cost of paying an additional operator...but
> why have a racing/dueling coaster only run one train?

> Everyone notices...the GP notices...and it gives us all the
> impression that the park no longer cares. The park doesn't
> care about the experience of the guests, the park doesn't
> care about the ride, the park is just keeping the ride
> going until it can come up with something better.

> Just my thoughts. I understand the economics, but that's
> how I feel when a park doesn't operate its ride to full
> enjoyment capability.

> - Pat-O

I agree with you. One of the best times I had on a racing woodie was on Lightning Racer at Hershey. When we were racing, both side kept screaming things to the other train - it was hysterical. When the other train won I accused them of doping and wouldn't concede the race until urine samples from everyone on the train were analyzed. We were all laughing hysterically. While that is one of the best racing woodies out there, the interaction with the other train definitely enhanced my ride and opinion of it.

It does take away from the ride and even if the trains aren't at full capacity, they should run both. I bet more people would ride too.

Jen

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by alpengeistno3 at 8/10/11 12:14:45 AM

Back when Paramount owned Kings Dominion, they made it a mission to always run both sides of Rebel Yell, regardless of the crowds. I suppose they had the extra incentive with the one side running the backward train.

You'd think Gradv would feel the same with RT since the tracks are different, but that is not the case at all (if ever).

Now, the real question is why run 2 sides of a racing coaster AND NOT TRY TO RACE THE TRAINS?!I?!? I never understood that one. (Huge Kudos to Hershey for building the newest racer in the area and still understanding how to operate it 10 years later.)

Paul

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/10/11 2:00:52 AM

> If I could be "beamed up" to either one right
> this minute, my choice would be Rebel Yell. It is simply
> more enjoyable.

> Truth to tell, tho, I always take a spin on RT when at
> SFGAdv (and am disappointed when only one side is running,
> quite the norm these days).

> Mike B.

Yes, I've rode RY where only 1 side was running. Fortunately I went to KD on 2 different days. The 2nd time the other side also ran, which was a major relief because the lines really grew because only one side ran. However, both trains were not close enough as the other side ran maybe a foot-row length ahead of my train.

Though I wonder, why a 3-row car train? Why not use a 2-row car train. I know 'what's the difference?', to me it feels like it would handle the curves a bit better if the cars were shorter. Then again wood coasters [exception for Thunderhead] will always be near the bottom on my favorites.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by squirrels at 8/10/11 8:49:45 AM

> Back when Paramount owned Kings Dominion, they made it a
> mission to always run both sides of Rebel Yell, regardless
> of the crowds. I suppose they had the extra incentive with
> the one side running the backward train.

> You'd think Gradv would feel the same with RT since the
> tracks are different, but that is not the case at all (if
> ever).

> Now, the real question is why run 2 sides of a racing
> coaster AND NOT TRY TO RACE THE TRAINS?!I?!? I never
> understood that one. (Huge Kudos to Hershey for building
> the newest racer in the area and still understanding how to
> operate it 10 years later.)

> Paul

The good thing about Lightning Racer is that it's DESIGNED to race. It's designed so that the tracks ARE very close to "equal" and set up so either train COULD legitimately "win" on any given run. I've sat there and watched it for a while, and it's pretty much a coin-flip which side wins. Something as simple as the weighting and distribution of the passengers can affect it.

There are a lot of lopsided "racing" coasters where one side is likely to win just about every time. If you take a coaster NOT designed for it and try to do it, that's likely what you'll get. The two sides aren't "balanced" in a way that truly evens the race outcomes.

I am not 100% sure whether Rebel Yell was designed to really "race", or just to run two trains side-by-side in a "mock-race".

The reason Rebel Yell doesn't run a "backwards" train any more is because it's technically outside of the manufacturer's safety specifications to do so. Since the gov't has tightened safety protocol for theme park rides, doing so (even though nothing is LIKELY to happen) becomes a liability.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/10/11 8:54:01 AM

To quote Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club.."Not even close, BUD!!!"

My last several rides on the Billy Idol coaster (yes, TWO 80's pop culture references in the same post..so shoot me) have been terrific. Smoother than in years past, airtime up the wazoo, and that breathtaking view of I-305 as you head toward the turnaround. Until last week, my rides on Rolling Thunder this year were more than tolerable (and that's high praise) But last week's was bad, which was par for the course in recent years. As many here know, I'm partly deaf, and RT's screeching even bothers ME! I would shed no tears if it was to quietly (or noisily) disappear.

Mike

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/10/11 12:57:24 PM

Now, when SFGAdv first planned to install a racing (or "double") wooden coaster back in the late 1970's, I've often wondered if KD's Rebel Yell gave them the idea. Back in the late 1970's, I don't know of any other parks, besides KD, that had racing woodies.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by alpengeistno3 at 8/10/11 2:22:47 PM

> I don't think Rebel Yell was designed to be a "racing
> coaster". The big issue with it, I believe, is that
> the tracks don't have similar lengths.

You're joking, right? You do know that Rebel Yell was built by Taft after the success of KI's THE RACER!! And the tracks are identical in length. It was designed that way SO THEY COULD RACE, lol. The are complete mirror images.

> The good thing about Lightning Racer is that it's DESIGNED
> to race. It's designed so that the tracks ARE very close to
> "equal" and set up so either train COULD
> legitimately "win" on any given run. I've sat
> there and watched it for a while, and it's pretty much a
> coin-flip which side wins. Something as simple as the
> weighting and distribution of the passengers can affect it.

True.

> There are a lot of lopsided "racing" coasters
> where one side is likely to win just about every time. If
> you take a coaster NOT designed for it and try to do it,
> that's likely what you'll get. The two sides aren't
> "balanced" in a way that truly evens the race
> outcomes.

You are right, but not about RY. Back when Paramount had the train turned around backwards, they found the forces coming off the far turnaround were somewhat stronger. They slowed the lift down on that side to reduce the speed. As a result, dispatching the trains at the same time resulted in a one car lead for the "forwards" side on the lift, which amounted to a significant lead once the trains disengaged the lift.

Ops who were aware of this (and took the initiative to do so) could compensate by delaying the dispatch of the forwards side. But most of the time, they were discouraged from doing so. (I spent a lot of time talking to the ops between marathon riding sessions.) Someone in management decided that capacity would be better if they just dispatched the trains once loaded (and that was more important than racing). The few ops that actually decided to work together to race the trains would need the platform ops to tell them if they made the correct interval (you can't see the top of the lift from the operator's position) and the forward side op would have to adjust.

I could count the number of "perfect" races I have ever had on my 2 hands, but one day, they had a set of ops who were pretty close most of the time.

> The reason Rebel Yell doesn't run a "backwards"
> train any more is because it's technically outside of the
> manufacturer's safety specifications to do so. Since the
> gov't has tightened safety protocol for theme park rides,
> doing so (even though nothing is LIKELY to happen) becomes
> a liability.

That's what Cedar Fair said. Probably true, but as Six Flags GrAm is proving, it doesn't keep them from doing it. The real reason is that by flipping the train back to the forwards position, they are no longer under any "obligation" to run both sides in GP's eyes. So they can shut one down for the day to save on maintenance and staffing and most people will not complain.

Paul

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/10/11 3:14:53 PM

> I've often wondered if KD's Rebel Yell gave them the idea.
> Back in the late 1970's, I don't know of any other parks,
> besides KD, that had racing woodies.

1972 KI's Racer of course predated RY, built several years later.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/11/11 8:06:49 AM

Also of note re Lightning Racer is it has the coordinating lift hill speeds, to ensure both trains take off down the first drop simultaneously. Not sure if only one side "takes note" of the other to adjust accordingly, but it works!

The Dragons (Fire/Ice)* at IoA do the same thing; I've been on it when my train practically came to a dead stop to allow the other to catch up.

Those are true racers.

I have experienced Rebel Yell when it was racing and the two ride ops would literally look at each other and count down on fingers together (1...2...3...thumbs up, release), which was very cool that day. Of course, that station design allows for that visual interaction between the two ops.

Mike B.

*or whatever it is called now

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by squirrels at 8/11/11 9:51:02 AM

Really?? Interesting...riding it, I don't get the sense that it was designed to "race". I mean, two coasters side-by-side yes, but when I think "race", I think competitive. If you have to handicap one side by two seconds to make it even, that defeats the purpose a little. But then I'm competitive by nature. :p

That IS a shame if they just turned the other coaster forward again so they would have an excuse to only run one side. I imagine that says something about the future of the coaster, if they originally ran one side backwards to try and "make it interesting again" and eventually just said "forget it".

Being able to ride backwards was the major draw for me to that coaster...I've only known it since it could, and I remember my father talking about it running backwards. I didn't know it in the "racing" days.

I would hope it isn't a coaster that's standing today solely for nostalgic/historical value. I think they re-furb'd parts of it in 2010. As far as woodies go, it wasn't a bad little ride when I went this season.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by Franchise at 8/11/11 11:38:38 AM

In today's age, I think the whole racing coaster concept is almost obsolete. During the 70's and early 80's the racing coaster was popular, but I think capacity was a huge factor when these rides were built. At the time, each park had only a handful of coasters, and certainly having one with two tracks instead one made it much more of a line-eater. Attendance figures at many of the parks were not much lower 30 years ago than they are now, and current visitors have a much larger choice of coasters and thrillrides to choose from, so it makes sense from a business standpoint it makes sense to only run one side on most days. Also, rides like Rebel Yell don't posses the thrill factor and draw that many modern day coasters have. Of course a ride like Lightning Racer may be an exception to this rule, but it's thrill factor is much higher than any of the 70's/80's racers.

As far as which of these two coasters(RY vs. RT), Rebel Yell wins by a landslide. Rolling Thunder is not well maintained, and has a typical Bill Cobb design where it barely makes it over it's hills. Rebel Yell was designed by the much superior PFC and John Allen, who always focused on speedy designs with airtime. I would take almost any PFC coaster, Schmeck or Allen, over any Cobb coaster anyway. The whole "intentional pause" aspect of Cobb's rides doesn't do it for me.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/11/11 12:50:12 PM

Lightning Racer and those Dragons at IoA are actually dueling coasters; hence the "interaction" of the layouts.
You know, over/under and heading toward imminent collisions, etc.
So that makes it imperative for both trains to hit the first drop simultaneously. Ergo, the coordinated lift hills.

Mike B.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/11/11 1:27:38 PM

The Texas Cyclone was Cobb's masterpiece and Judge Roy Scream isn't a bad coaster either. I do agree John Allen coasters are more fun. As far as racing coasters Lightning Racer is the best one. Kennywood's Racer is fun and you actually race. I like Rolling Thunder, it was running well when I was there in June. The Rebel Yell is a better ride.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/11/11 1:38:28 PM

Rebel Yell is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

Rolling thunder's only enjoyable part is the return to the station, but even then it's ruined by the last turn almost flying off the Track.

Rebel Yell, when I rode it on 2010, was not nearly as rough, had one turn, and had plenty of hills.

I would pick Rebel Yell any day of the week over RT. That doesn't mean I don't like a good "beat the crap outta me" ride on ol' RT, hahaha.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/11/11 2:59:41 PM

Both Rolling Thunder and Rebel Yell appear to at least have good first drops.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by drachen drachen Profile at 8/11/11 4:19:22 PM

> Also of note re Lightning Racer is it has the coordinating
> lift hill speeds, to ensure both trains take off down the
> first drop simultaneously. Not sure if only one side
> "takes note" of the other to adjust accordingly,
> but it works!

Actually, from what I understand, that is not accurate. Lightning Racer does not have a system to weigh the trains, and the two lifts run at the same speed and do not adjust.

The ride is designed to simply release the trains at the same time. After that, they are on their own. I think that makes the design of the layout even more impressive, because the trains finish so close together - a testament to the ride's precision engineering.

However, I've seen numerous occasions where one side hits the bottom of the first drop before the first train even crests the lift. It's not much of a head start, but it's enough to take some of the fun out of the ride.

From what has been explained to me (third-party), those instances are a result of the operators not quite dispatching the trains at the same time, giving one side a slight head start. That head start is magnified by the first drop, but the trailing train catches up by the time the trains hit the large fan turn into the tunnel. Physics is a funny thing...

> The Dragons (Fire/Ice)* at IoA do the same thing; I've been
> on it when my train practically came to a dead stop to
> allow the other to catch up.

The Harry Potter dragons do have a system to weigh the trains and adjust the lift speed.

> Those are true racers.

I actually consider Lightning Racer to be the only true racer left. Dragons has no finish line, so there is no way to judge a winner. It is what its old title indicates. It's a dueling coaster, just like Gwazi and Twisted Twins.

The "Paramount" park racing coasters are the only ones with mirror image tracks. But they don't seem to race much anymore. You can hardly consider Rolling Thunder, American Eagle, Gemini, and Kennywood's Racer as racing coasters. Dual-track is more of an appropriate term.

One "racing" coaster I miss is Batman & Robin: The Chiller. It was initially designed to race, but SFGAdv never seemed to run it that way. From what I've heard, the electrical strain on the park from launching both of those coasters at the same time was problematic. Too bad - that was as fun a coaster to watch as it was to ride.

Regarding the topic at hand, I actually think Rolling Thunder has a very fun layout. It rides much better now than it did 10 years ago. That said, Rebel Yell is a better ride.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/11/11 4:27:29 PM

> One "racing" coaster I miss is Batman &
> Robin: The Chiller. It was initially designed to race, but
> SFGAdv never seemed to run it that way. From what I've
> heard, the electrical strain on the park from launching
> both of those coasters at the same time was problematic.
> Too bad - that was as fun a coaster to watch as it was to
> ride.

Me too! My first launch coaster - I LOVED it! They used to launch the trains together in the beginning and when both trains were working but over the years there was usually only one side ever open (usually the Batman side) because the other had mechanical issues. The Robin side was down for most of the last few years it operated.

Jen

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/11/11 4:43:59 PM

> One "racing" coaster I miss is Batman &
> Robin: The Chiller. It was initially designed to race, but
> SFGAdv never seemed to run it that way. From what I've
> heard, the electrical strain on the park from launching
> both of those coasters at the same time was problematic.
> Too bad - that was as fun a coaster to watch as it was to
> ride.

> Me too! My first launch coaster - I LOVED it! They used to
> launch the trains together in the beginning and when both
> trains were working but over the years there was usually
> only one side ever open (usually the Batman side) because
> the other had mechanical issues. The Robin side was down
> for most of the last few years it operated.

> Jen

That's weird I always got the robin side when I got to ride it.
I loved it when they launched it at unexpected numbers in the countdown :D I remember listening for it to see if it was open :(

And did someone say Rolling Thunder looks like it has a decent first drop???!?!?!?!? Nahhhhh.

- mugen

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/11/11 4:49:47 PM

> Me too! My first launch coaster - I LOVED it! They used to
> launch the trains together in the beginning and when both
> trains were working but over the years there was usually
> only one side ever open (usually the Batman side) because
> the other had mechanical issues. The Robin side was down
> for most of the last few years it operated.

> Jen

That's odd..it seemed when I was there, it was often the exact opposite. And since I liked the Batman top-hat better than the usually running Robin, I often passed.

Mike

*EDIT* Looks like mugen expressed the same thoughts, but beat me to the punch. Whippersnapper! Now get off my lawn!

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/11/11 4:58:38 PM

> That's weird I always got the robin side when I got to ride
> it.
> I loved it when they launched it at unexpected numbers in
> the countdown :D I remember listening for it to see if it
> was open :(

> And did someone say Rolling Thunder looks like it has a
> decent first drop???!?!?!?!? Nahhhhh.

> - mugen

I meant the Robin side - My bad.... I liked the Batman side better too, especially when the OTSRs were still on - much easier to defensively ride. I remember the last year it was open, in the beginning of the season when I went they actually had the Batman side running and I was ecstatic! That was the last time I would ever ride it though :-(

RT actually had a decent first drop for it's time and when it was running well. Now, it's horrible. I'd love to get a radar gun and see how fast it actually runs now - all that rust and decay has surely slowed it down. It has both RT and RY at the exact same speed on specs (56 mph) but there is NO WAY it still goes that fast. RY, yes (actually felt faster to me when I rode it this year), RT not even close.

Jen

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/11/11 6:54:19 PM

> That's weird I always got the robin side when I got to ride
> it.
> I loved it when they launched it at unexpected numbers in
> the countdown :D I remember listening for it to see if it
> was open :(

> And did someone say Rolling Thunder looks like it has a
> decent first drop???!?!?!?!? Nahhhhh.

> - mugen

> I meant the Robin side - My bad.... I liked the Batman side
> better too, especially when the OTSRs were still on - much
> easier to defensively ride. I remember the last year it was
> open, in the beginning of the season when I went they
> actually had the Batman side running and I was ecstatic!
> That was the last time I would ever ride it though :-(

> RT actually had a decent first drop for it's time and when
> it was running well. Now, it's horrible. I'd love to get a
> radar gun and see how fast it actually runs now - all that
> rust and decay has surely slowed it down. It has both RT
> and RY at the exact same speed on specs (56 mph) but there
> is NO WAY it still goes that fast. RY, yes (actually felt
> faster to me when I rode it this year), RT not even close.

> Jen
Of coarse I would have to look at photos of Rolling Thunder and Rebel Yell side-by-side to really compare them visually, but are the first drops on both coasters very similar, as far as height and overall experience? This is, of coarse, when both coasters are/were running at their best.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by alpengeistno3 at 8/12/11 2:19:12 AM

> Really?? Interesting...riding it, I don't get the sense
> that it was designed to "race". I mean, two
> coasters side-by-side yes, but when I think
> "race", I think competitive. If you have to
> handicap one side by two seconds to make it even, that
> defeats the purpose a little. But then I'm competitive by
> nature. :p

The real race begins at the top of the lift and when the ops got it timed right, it was every bit as competitive as Lightning Racer (Thunder seems to have the advantage when the trains are evenly loaded).

> That IS a shame if they just turned the other coaster
> forward again so they would have an excuse to only run one
> side. I imagine that says something about the future of the
> coaster, if they originally ran one side backwards to try
> and "make it interesting again" and eventually
> just said "forget it".

I'm not sure of the dates and don't feel like looking them up now, but one train of KI's Racer was flipped around at least by 1982 (I have a picture book that I got from the Book Fair "highlighting" Racer.

Rebel Yell was not turned around until after Hurler was added (I'm thinking 1995). Don't know about Carowind's Thunder Road as I didn't ride it until 2002.

Someone who feels like looking it up can correct me or I may do it Saturday (home football game tomorrow, so I have to work)

> I would hope it isn't a coaster that's standing today
> solely for nostalgic/historical value. I think they
> re-furb'd parts of it in 2010. As far as woodies go, it
> wasn't a bad little ride when I went this season.

Rebel Yell, like Loch Ness at BGE, is the elder statesman of KD's coasters. It will take a disaster to get the park to consider letting it go. Today, they were running one train and the line was a "ridiculous" 20 mins after 7:00PM. (and longer than the line for Grizzly at the same time.) I am sure on a busy Saturday, every bit of its four train capacity is welcome and needed, so I doubt the park will ever let it go for that reason.

Paul

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 8/12/11 2:24:33 AM

I guess that's one good thing about Kennywood's Racer ... it has to race!!

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/12/11 11:25:46 AM

> I would hope it isn't a coaster that's standing today
> solely for nostalgic/historical value. I think they
> re-furb'd parts of it in 2010. As far as woodies go, it
> wasn't a bad little ride when I went this season.

> Rebel Yell, like Loch Ness at BGE, is the elder statesman
> of KD's coasters. It will take a disaster to get the park
> to consider letting it go. Today, they were running one
> train and the line was a "ridiculous" 20 mins
> after 7:00PM. (and longer than the line for Grizzly at the
> same time.) I am sure on a busy Saturday, every bit of its
> four train capacity is welcome and needed, so I doubt the
> park will ever let it go for that reason.

> Paul
>

Why would you want them to let it go? I think historical value is important and as long as the ride is maintained (which it is) it should be kept. It was my favorite woodie in the park hands down.

Jen

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/12/11 11:52:59 AM

hands down.

> Jen

That's not like you, Doctor.

Re: Rebel Yell vs. Rolling Thunder by Jumbo-Jet Jumbo-Jet Profile at 8/12/11 12:59:49 PM

I have an old Amoco Delaware/Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia road map (Remember when they were free???) I picked up when my parents and I were visiting Williamsburg, VA. over Easter weekend in 1978 when I was in 7th grade, and the front of the map has a close-up of the Rebel Yell's first drop with the trains cresting (with the train on the right about a half car in the lead). If I can figure out how to post images on here, I'll scan and post it.