Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters

Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
8/8/11 at
2:13:37 PM

Ok, I did search this topic out on this site. I could have sworn I remember this type of thread from several years ago. But I couldn't find it.

Having recently returned from Indiana and first time visits to Holiday World and Indiana Beach, I got thinking about the park that I think has the best collection of wooden roller coasters.

My answer is, and I'm sure everyone's answer will be, Holiday World. But there are some others that are right up there. Any of these parks would make great destinations for a fan of wooden roller coasters.

I will try to rank them. Forgive my omission of Kings Island, as I have yet to make it there.

1) Holiday World

Raven, Legend, and Voyage are all top-notch wooden coasters. It's a wooden coaster fan's version of heaven on earth.

2) Mount Olympus

Four wooden coasters, 3 of which are above average to great. Pegasus isn't a bad little ride either. Having Hellcat at Timber Falls helps too.

3) Hersheypark

Three (four if you count Lightning Racer twice) really good wooden roller coasters, including an underrated out & back, and GCI's first. Lightning Racer is just an incredible piece of engineering.

4) Kennywood

If you like old wooden roller coasters, this is your place. Three old ones, but three really good old ones.

5) Knoebels

Two really good wooden coasters, including my favorite, the Phoenix. This park loses points for "only" having two. One more (Flying Turns...) and this one moves up for me.

6) Michigan's Adventure

Just a wonderful ride in Shivering Timbers. I found Wolverine Wildcat to be a very fun ride, and a bit underrated. The junior wooden coaster Zach's Zoomer wasn't too shabby either.

7) Six Flags St. Louis

The Boss was great. It's so long and has a ton of large drops. But the best ride there was Screamin' Eagle, the 1970's John Allen beauty. So much fun. I can only imagine that American Thunder has added to this park's collection in a positive way.

8) Six Flags Great America

I loved Viper, and I think it's very underrated. American Eagle was just awesome, powerful, and had great moments of air. The Litter Dipper is just a fun ride.

9) Indiana Beach

Three pretty good wooden coasters, including one excellent one in Cornball. Lost Coaster is as unique as a wooden coaster gets, and Hoosier Hurricane is certainly above average.

10) Kings Dominion

This park gets the award for having the most wooden coaster tracks - with five total. Woodstock is a fun little classic. Rebel Yell is a very fun, smooth racer. Hurler was decent when I rode it last in 2002. The best they got is Grizzly, which was running really well last year.

That got harder to do as I went along. I would imagine that parks like Kings Island and Silverwood should be included in this "top ten". I'll get there some day.

Honorable mention to Lake Compounce and the defunct Geauga Lake. Big Dipper and Villain were great rides. The 'Bob's weren't bad either.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/8/11 4:17:14 PM

1) My vote goes to Mt. Olympus and here's why. I liked Hades better than The Voyage, Cyclops better than the Raven or The Legend, and Zeus has the potential to be a great coaster if they smooth it out.
2) Holiday World: 3 great coasters with The Voyage showcasing the trio.
3) Kennywood: 3 classic coasters, no other park can claim that. Not only are they good rides, but they are smooth and really unique. The Jack Rabbit is my favorite of the 3.
4) Knoebels: 2 really fantastic coasters. When Flying Turns does open, Knoebels may work it's way up to #3 on my list
5) SF Great Adventure: El Toro is my favorite coaster, steel or wood. Out of all the awesome coasters at that park, El Toro is the gem. That coaster alone puts the park into my top 5 on this list
6) Geauga Lake: The Villan, The Dipper, and Raging Wolf were great. It's sad I'll never get to ride any of them again.
7) SF St.Louis: I loved The Boss and Screaming Eagle. With the addition of American Thunder, which I haven't ridden, this is another park that would probably go up a spot or 2.
8) Hershey: Lightning Racer and The Comet make for a good combo.I wish Wildcat was as smooth as it was back in the late 90's,
9) SF America: Last time I rode Roar in 2000 it was smooth and The Wild One is great ride also
10) SF Over Georgia: GASM and Cyclone are both great rides. GASM is my favorite John Allen coaster.
Honorable Mention: Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Michigan's Adventure, Indiana Beach, and SF Great America

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/8/11 4:46:43 PM

When I look at my numbers on coastercounter.com, I'm kind of stunned by how few woodies I've been on relative to steel, since I consider woods my fave type. But the posts above simply re-inforce the fact that there are simply not that many wood coasters out there (again, relative to steel.) Even referring, as this thread does, to a "collection" is kind of a misnomer..."collections" most often signifies more than two or three. A poster above listed Great Adventure. I'd hardly call El Toro and Rotting Lumber (Thanks, Paul!) a "collection."

Mike

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/8/11 4:59:08 PM

Triplets of terror: Holiday World. (Can I get royalties form the T shirt?)

SFstl. Honestly, All three are stellar

Geauga (RIP)

Mt. Olympus. But honestly i considered Avalanche the best in town. Three other very good woodies over at MT. O. and some very good go kart tracks

Silverwood

Knoebels

SFNE who's due for a modern woodie.

MIA. If they got the bounce out of Wolverine Wildcat. Thats two very good ones there with a larger Scooby type coaster to boot.

Kennywood. Also due for modern woodie.

SFOG,

Compounce. A very good one in Boulderdash but it don't rank in my top ten and barely breaks top twenty and Wildcat. A fun classic old coaster

Only two I haven't been to are Silverwood and SFOG bu the people I know who got my taste in woodies love silverwood and say if SFOGs were better maintained they'd be up there.

Chuck 80 woodies ridden but currently out of the Hobby for the most part.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 8/8/11 5:16:49 PM

> When I look at my numbers on coastercounter.com, I'm kind
> of stunned by how few woodies I've been on relative to
> steel, since I consider woods my fave type. But the posts
> above simply re-inforce the fact that there are simply not
> that many wood coasters out there (again, relative to
> steel.)

Yeah, if you hit 100 wooden coasters, you've pretty much hit every one in the U.S. (actually RCDB lists 113 currently operating roller coasters in the country).

Relative to steel, it's not a lot, and there are lots of reasons for it.

> Even referring, as this thread does, to a
> "collection" is kind of a
> misnomer..."collections" most often signifies
> more than two or three.

Unfortunately, in today's amusement park industry, 2-3 wooden coasters does a collection make. I actually find it commendable that there are parks that have that many. That may be the max that most parks are willing to have.

In fact, I'm concerned that new wooden coasters will gradually become a thing of the past.

> A poster above listed Great
> Adventure. I'd hardly call El Toro and Rotting Lumber
> (Thanks, Paul!) a "collection."

Agreed. As much as I love El Toro, and even though I actually like Rolling Thunder, I just couldn't bring myself to mentioning it on my list of favorites.

So, beastmaster, what about your top wooden coaster parks?

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 8/8/11 5:31:10 PM

> Triplets of terror: Holiday World. (Can I get royalties
> form the T shirt?)

Yes. I'm torn on the whole steel coaster thing for them. Part of me really likes a park that only has wooden coasters. Very commendable in this day and age.

> SFstl. Honestly, All three are stellar

I missed out on American Thunder (went in 2004), but I'm sure it's great. I have yet to ride a GCI that I didn't like.

> SFNE who's due for a modern woodie.

> MIA. If they got the bounce out of Wolverine Wildcat. Thats
> two very good ones there with a larger Scooby type coaster
> to boot.

Agreed. But I loved Wolverine Wildcat. Any Phoenix-inspired ride works for me.

> Compounce. A very good one in Boulderdash but it don't rank
> in my top ten and barely breaks top twenty and Wildcat. A
> fun classic old coaster

Chuck, you really need to get to Compounce again. From people I've talked to, Boulder Dash is running so much better than in years past. It blew me away on my first visit last year.

> Only two I haven't been to are Silverwood and SFOG bu the
> people I know who got my taste in woodies love silverwood
> and say if SFOGs were better maintained they'd be up there.

I really want to get to Silverwood, as I only hear great things about Tremors. It's just so stinkin' far away from everything. I can get to Georgia much more easily.

Sitting on 68 wooden coasters myself. I'll get to 72 before the season is over.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/8/11 8:25:46 PM

> In fact, I'm concerned that new wooden coasters will
> gradually become a thing of the past.

Not me. Im convinced that theres going to be a wooden coaster boon. Biggest wooden hit of a woodie out there 7 million.

Spinny mouse 8 million.

B&M or Intamin decent sized 20 Million plus.

The MF and Timberliner trains are the future and now CCI can build its intense rides with less than half the wear.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 8/8/11 9:02:18 PM

>> In fact, I'm concerned that new wooden coasters will
>> gradually become a thing of the past.

> Not me. Im convinced that theres going to be a wooden
> coaster boon. Biggest wooden hit of a woodie out there 7
> million.

I hope you're right.

> Spinny mouse 8 million.

> B&M or Intamin decent sized 20 Million plus.

> The MF and Timberliner trains are the future and now CCI
> can build its intense rides with less than half the wear.

I totally see your point as to the value you get with a wooden coaster compared to a steel one. But when parks take into consideration marketability, space limitations, and maintenance costs, it's not an appealing investment.

I can think of a number of parks that just don't have the space to build a wooden coaster. A number of these parks already have two or three. Would they really add another one?

I think we have to rely on the Holiday Worlds of the industry to keep the wooden coasters coming.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/8/11 9:19:44 PM

> 10) Kings Dominion
> This park gets the award for having the most wooden coaster
> tracks - with five total. Woodstock is a fun little
> classic. Rebel Yell is a very fun, smooth racer. Hurler was
> decent when I rode it last in 2002. The best they got is
> Grizzly, which was running really well last year.

What a shame to see KD included in a wood coaster thread but no mention anywhere of KI. Granted the Beast has been neutered but it is still a decent ride. The Racer isn't a bad ride either and if we're going to include kiddie coasters neither is Beastie (or whatever it is called now).

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 8/8/11 9:32:05 PM

> 10) Kings Dominion
> This park gets the award for having the most wooden coaster
> tracks - with five total. Woodstock is a fun little
> classic. Rebel Yell is a very fun, smooth racer. Hurler was
> decent when I rode it last in 2002. The best they got is
> Grizzly, which was running really well last year.

> What a shame to see KD included in a wood coaster thread
> but no mention anywhere of KI. Granted the Beast has been
> neutered but it is still a decent ride. The Racer isn't a
> bad ride either and if we're going to include kiddie
> coasters neither is Beastie (or whatever it is called now).

Oh, I mentioned it. I just mentioned that I had yet to go. I can't justifiably rank a park I have yet to visit. I'm sure it would rate ahead of a few of these parks on my list.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/8/11 9:49:28 PM

I haven't been to as many parks as some so for the parks that I have visited it would be:

1. Hershey
2. Kings Dominion
3. Michigan's Adventure

Shivering timber is my favorite in the whole lot, and I also love Wildcat at Hershey.

Might be going to Mt.Olympus in September! should be awesome, IF I go.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/8/11 10:01:13 PM

> Oh, I mentioned it. I just mentioned that I had yet to go.
> I can't justifiably rank a park I have yet to visit. I'm
> sure it would rate ahead of a few of these parks on my list.

Sorry - my mistake for failing to mention that you did indeed mention it... I intended to include that mention, but you know you get typing and kind of lose track of some bullet points. What I meant was that no one else in the thread mentioned it either.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/9/11 12:10:06 AM

After thinking about it I'd have to go with Hershey (haven't been to HW or Wisconsin). They have a great racing coaster, a great out and back in Comet (I think it's underrated and I really enjoy it - it's my kind of woodie - hills!) and that horrible car accident Wild Cat (hey, who am I to judge those who like herniated discs LOL).

I'd follow it with Knoebels - I really liked both of those and then KD - similar to Hershey in that they have a good racer in Rebel Yell (not as good as LR but still up there IMO), Hurler, which was decent and that car accident Grizzly (again, not judging those who like pain, to each his own :~)

I never realized how few of them are out there. While I'm a steel girl at heart, I would hate it if they are becoming a dying breed and I hope Chuck is right and they build more (after I get a Dive coaster close to home, naturally!). And not those over-banked, no hills, gives you bruising and whiplash ones - the pre-fabs, hilly racers or out and back hilly types (but they can have a good helix - that's allowed).

Jen

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/9/11 5:01:18 AM

With the lack of major coaster installments this season, I decided to make 2011 a year where I added to my wooden coaster count. So far with new parks like Beech Bend, Indiana Beach, Mt Olympus, and Timberfalls, I've already added 9 wooden coasters. I had plans to add Prowler and America Thunder, but that trip is probably not going to happen this year. I'm taking the kids to Kings Island in 2 weeks. After that, if all goes well, we'll be headed to Lakemont Park. Skyliner and Leap The Dips will be #74 and #75. Next year seems like it will be a year of steel coaster installments. I just about have the whole 2012 season planned. So this was a good year to catch up on wooden coasters. At the beginning of the season I also realized how few woodies I had on my list and I've taken advantage of this season to add to it.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/9/11 7:09:55 AM

> > In fact, I'm concerned that new wooden coasters will
> > gradually become a thing of the past.

> Not me. Im convinced that theres going to be a wooden
> coaster boon. Biggest wooden hit of a woodie out there 7
> million.

> I hope you're right.

> Spinny mouse 8 million.

> B&M or Intamin decent sized 20 Million plus.

> The MF and Timberliner trains are the future and now CCI
> can build its intense rides with less than half the wear.

> I totally see your point as to the value you get with a
> wooden coaster compared to a steel one. But when parks take
> into consideration marketability, space limitations, and
> maintenance costs, it's not an appealing investment.

> I can think of a number of parks that just don't have the
> space to build a wooden coaster. A number of these parks
> already have two or three. Would they really add another
> one?

> I think we have to rely on the Holiday Worlds of the
> industry to keep the wooden coasters coming.

Look at all the pictures of Cornball express. Trust me. Space isn't a issue.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/9/11 7:37:02 AM

> I'm taking the kids to Kings Island in 2 weeks.

Be sure to check the park calendar. KI starts to close early next week and is closed weekdays starting the last week of August.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/9/11 8:45:39 AM

> So, beastmaster, what about your top wooden coaster parks?

Oh. Yeah. Forgot to actually answer the darn question.
(See, Judy, I DON'T remember everything!)

1. Hershey. I like Wildcat, I like Comet, and I adore Lightning Racer..especially at night.

2..Kings Dominion..although I don't care for Hurler anymore, Grizzly (which I haven't rode this season) Rebel Yell, and the former Scooby make it rank high for me.

If I liked Phoenix just a little bit more, Knoebels would be up there. Twister is my preference (I know, blasphemy.)

There's a lot of parks that have one GREAT woodie, but I can't say their "collections" blow me away..or it's the only woodie they have:

Beech Bend (Kentucky Rumbler)
Lake Compounce (Boulder Dash)
Great Adventure (Toro, natch)
Kings Island (Beast)
Dorney (Thunderhawk)
Dollywood (Thunderhead)

Mike

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/9/11 4:16:25 PM

> I'm taking the kids to Kings Island in 2 weeks.

> Be sure to check the park calendar. KI starts to close
> early next week and is closed weekdays starting the last
> week of August.

Thanks Rob. I knew the park was closed on week days at the end of the month. I wasn't aware of the early closing.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by CarolH at 8/9/11 8:00:00 PM

> Yeah, if you hit 100 wooden coasters, you've pretty much
> hit every one in the U.S. (actually RCDB lists 113
> currently operating roller coasters in the country).

Unless you also count defunct & SBNO woodies. :) I ridden few more than that.

Here are my top 5 picks for the best collection
1 Kennywood
2 SFGAm
3 Michigan's Adventure (Wildcat is running very well this year.)
4 Indiana Beach
5 SFStL (even though I am not a fan of the Boss)

Honorable Mention
Hersheypark, Waldameer, Lakemont & Stricker's Grove

Carol

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/9/11 8:43:24 PM

> Honorable Mention ... Stricker's Grove
> Carol

Unfortunately I'll miss the GOCC gathering at Stricker's this Sunday. Weather should be great!

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/9/11 10:52:06 PM

1. Holiday World
2. Hersheypark
3. Six Flags St. Louis
4. Geauga Lake (miss it a ton)
5. Knoebel's

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 8/10/11 2:28:48 PM

> Look at all the pictures of Cornball express. Trust me.
> Space isn't a issue.

Yeah, but the way Cornball is built isn't very aesthetically pleasing. It's admirable from a wooden coaster fan's standpoint, but it takes a certain type of park to be willing to pull that look off.

I can think of a few parks that are "unlikely" to build new wooden coasters. When I say "unlikely" I mean any combination of the following criteria is met.

- They have a good number of them already.

- Space is at a premium, and building one on top of rides (like Cornball) isn't an option,

- If they do build one, another large attraction or group of attractions would have to be moved or the park would need to expand.

Hersheypark comes to mind. So does Kennywood, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Magic Mountain, Knott's, Great Adventure, pretty much any of the large theme parks.

Now there are also a number of parks that are good candidates for future wooden coasters. Holiday World, Mount Olympus, and Knoebels certainly, as well as parks like Silverwood, Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, the smaller Cedar Fair like Dorney, and the smaller Six Flags parks like Six Flags America. And there are a number of mom & pop parks that can still build them.

The problem is, the market for a wooden coaster has really dropped off. 2010 saw only one open in North America, which was the relocated Little Dipper at SFGAm.

This year the only new one was the little Wooden Warrior, which was a really fun ride, but not a significant addition industry-wise, aside from its use of the Timberliner trains.

Next year looks like another slow year, with the only possibilities thus far being Morey's new one (unconfirmed) and the long-awaited opening of Flying Turns at Knoebels. Unless someone comes out of left field with an announcement, that will be it.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/11 2:37:48 PM

> Hersheypark comes to mind. So does Kennywood, Cedar Point,
> Kings Dominion, Kings Island, Magic Mountain, Knott's,
> Great Adventure, pretty much any of the large theme parks.

Great Adventure actually has a lot of room. There is so much unused space in that park it's unbelievable. The entire middle section on the right side is open, in the back next to Batman TR, along the waterfront (they still have a grandstand there but don't use it), between Medusa (Biarro) and ET is open as well. Tearing down RT to build another or refurbishing it is another option. They have plenty of room.

Jen

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by alpengeistno3 at 8/10/11 3:04:32 PM

Gradv has a TON of room, especially next to Batman TR. Use the rotting Batman Amphitheater for a loading station, it can run all the way back to Nitro's brake run if then move some of the junk in the bone yard. Return run through much of Freefall's old spot and the brake run/maintenance shed could fit right where a useless warehouse was erected right across from Batman TR (since Six Flags seems to be interested in starting the ride rotation program, they can send Dark Knight somewhere where it is needed!) Bam, huge out and back woodie and Rolling Thunder can finally get put out of it's misery, too.

Paul

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 8/10/11 3:48:07 PM

> Gradv has a TON of room, especially next to Batman TR. Use
> the rotting Batman Amphitheater for a loading station, it
> can run all the way back to Nitro's brake run if then move
> some of the junk in the bone yard. Return run through much
> of Freefall's old spot and the brake run/maintenance shed
> could fit right where a useless warehouse was erected right
> across from Batman TR (since Six Flags seems to be
> interested in starting the ride rotation program, they can
> send Dark Knight somewhere where it is needed!) Bam, huge
> out and back woodie and Rolling Thunder can finally get put
> out of it's misery, too.

> Paul

Ok, Paul & Jen. Perhaps Great Adventure was a poor example for space limitations. But they've already shown that they're willing to remove aging attractions for a new one.

The thing is, they don't seem interested in properly maintaining the one (or two) true wooden coaster they currently have in Rolling Thunder. Now, that doesn't necessarily keep them from considering a new one, but I have my doubts. I think a nice, new, mid-sized GCI would be a great addition to the park.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/10/11 4:21:06 PM

You forgot Zippin Pippin

I think your in for a surprise. Some Birdie I know says they are extremely busy.

Chuck

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/10/11 4:24:12 PM

> Honorable Mention ... Stricker's Grove
> Carol

> Unfortunately I'll miss the GOCC gathering at Stricker's
> this Sunday. Weather should be great!

Also open Labor Day and Third Sunday in Oct.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/10/11 4:32:12 PM

When I was at Kennywood 2 weeks ago I was standing on the bridge looking down at the lake. I thought then what a great spot for a compact GCI wooden twister. The lake is only 4 feet deep and has a man made concrete bottom. Removing the stage and Sky Coaster would make it possible. Another area that would be possible is behind Sky Rocket where the pavilions are. Even if you remove those pavilions, you still have some back by the Log Jammer. I heard the park is clearing some area behind Phantoms Revenge. With the ravine back there, I don't know what they could build other than a roller coaster. I won't be surprised if they do get a new wooden coaster for 2012 or 2013.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/10/11 6:51:40 PM

> Also open Labor Day and Third Sunday in Oct.

Thx Chuxk - I'll try to remember that... 10/16 looking most likely.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 8/18/11 1:15:35 AM

Such disdain for Wildcat, makes me sad, I really like that ride, I think it's the best of the 3 at Hershey.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/18/11 4:56:17 AM

> Such disdain for Wildcat, makes me sad, I really like that
> ride, I think it's the best of the 3 at Hershey.

Have you talked to a professional about your problem yet? j/k LOL!

I hate those types of coasters to begin with. I need hills to make me happy. Love LR and Comet (a lot of people don't like Comet much but I think it's underrated). So when a ride is rough with only over-banked turns that toss me around like a rag doll, it's really bad IMO. Just a personal preference thing.

Jen

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 8/18/11 3:02:36 PM

> Have you talked to a professional about your problem yet?
> j/k LOL!

> I hate those types of coasters to begin with. I need hills
> to make me happy. Love LR and Comet (a lot of people don't
> like Comet much but I think it's underrated). So when a
> ride is rough with only over-banked turns that toss me
> around like a rag doll, it's really bad IMO. Just a
> personal preference thing.

> Jen

I see, I also like Comet I prefer it if I'm sitting in the back but it is a good coaster. I understand where you are coming from, for some reason I just really like Wildcat.

Re: Best Collection of Wooden Roller Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 8/18/11 10:23:17 PM

I actually agree completely. I love the Comet, and agree that it is underrated. Lightning Racer is a very fun, smooth wooden coaster, and the racing aspect just adds to it.

But I think that Wildcat is the best roller coaster there, wood or steel. It's got a superior layout to either side of Lightning Racer. There is really a lot of negative g's at both ends of the trains.

Sure the back of the train shuffles through the turns, but don't all wooden coasters do that? This just happens to be one of the most twisting and turning GCI's out there.