Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Favorite Park based on just Rides

Favorite Park based on just Rides

Tomes

Posted:
8/6/11 at
3:12:57 PM

Forget about the atmosphere, food and cleanliness for a second. Based purely on ride experiences, what's your favorite amusement park?

I think Kings Dominion is so sadly underrated. I'd say it fits right up there with Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, Great Adventure. I'm not sure about Kings Island since their SOB is sbno, although they do have the Huss giant freesby and the awesome tower besides diamondback and FoF.

I don't wanna say what mine is first, so I'll let other people answer. But here is what REALLY does it for me in each park:
KD: I305, Volcano, Dominator, Drop Tower, Crypt, Shockwave, FoF
CP: Maverick, Dragster, MF, Raptor, Sky Hawk, Max Air, Power Tower, Wicked only in the very front, and mantis.. Eh.
GAdv: Kk, GL, El Toro, Nitro, Bizzaro, (never rode their Houdini or top spin but these 5 coasters alone make it one of the best parks)
MM: Goliath, X2, Riddler's, Tatsu, Scream, I'm sure escape from Krypton is WAY better experience than what it was when I rode it forward, and I've never ridden their wooden ones.

If anyone has ever been to Fuji-Q Highlands in Japan, it might also be up there with their S&S thrust air coaster, their bigger-and-better-then-X2 4th Dimension coaster, the steepest coaster in the world with also a launch and 7 inversions, and their long ass hyper coaster, to name a few.

So what's your favorite park based only on thrills?
I'm sure

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/6/11 7:38:05 PM

I have not been to as may on the forum, although I am trying my best this year to branch out.

I would list the parks **I've been to** in this order:
BASED ON RIDES ONLY

1. Six Flags Great Adventure

2. Kings Dominion

3. Hershey Park

4. Carowinds

5. Six Flags New England

6. Islands of Adventure

7. Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom

8. Busch Gardens Europe - a

9. Dorney Park

10. Michigan's Adventure

I've been to more, but that's my top 10 for the places I have been so far I would suppose. I could easily shift some around and still be content.

To finish the year off I might hit up Mt. Olympus Park and possibly a Busch Gardens Tampa trip. If so I have a feeling my list will change.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by pyl-driver pyl-driver Profile at 8/6/11 8:46:17 PM

1.CEDAR POINT (number 1 by far)
2.SF MAGIC MOUNTAIN
3.SF GREAT ADVENTURE
4.BUSCH GARDENS TAMPA
5.HERSHEYPARK
6.SF GREAT AMERICA
7.BUSCH GARDENS WILLIAMSBURG
8.KINGS DOMINION
9.KINGS ISLAND
10.ISLANDS OF ADV.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/6/11 10:00:31 PM

Kings dominion - they have 2 'big coasters', and the others are short, but still fun. Lots of flat rides = easily can spend the entire day at the park from opening to closing.

SFGAdv - the coasters there are just so awesome, but despite the lack of flat rides, I could spend the whole day there for just the coasters.

Busch Gardens tampa - all the coasters there are great. Gwazi finally having Millenium Flyer trains will make that more tollerable. Also looking forward to Cheetah Hunt.

Islands of Adventures/Universal Orlando - practically most of the rides are great. Hulk is awesome because it's the only B&M launching coaster.

Busch Gardens Europe - the coasters are great and there are some nice flat rides, but for the most part the best way to maximize your day is do a number or rerides as the park is really small and limited imo.

Dollywood - mainly thunder head and tennessee tornado. The flat rides are also pretty fun. Timber tower was a neat experience. Haven't been back there for a few years now, so can't comment about Mystery Mine.

My list isn't complete since most of my visits are to east coast parks. I've yet to visit many on the west coast or the central.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by squirrels at 8/6/11 10:46:57 PM

Cedar Point...I can't say enough good about that park. It's the only park I know of where I really COULD spend two days there. There's something for everyone, and so great a numnber and variety of coasters. My faves are Maverick, Raptor, MF, TTD, and I also enjoyed Mantis and Wicked Twister. There's also plenty of milder coasters for the less-thrillseeking riders and a couple of woodies...although they're kind of rough.

Despite Cedar Point being worthy in my mind of a LOT of praise, I think HersheyPark has some kind of special place in my heart. When I have dreams about roller coasters, for some reason, it's usually Fahrenheit and StormRunner. Not sure why. :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/6/11 11:21:16 PM

> Cedar Point...I can't say enough good about that park. It's
> the only park I know of where I really COULD spend two days
> there. There's something for everyone, and so great a
> numnber and variety of coasters.

How did I know you'd say that?! LOL!

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/6/11 11:27:36 PM

My #1 would have to be SFGAdv and at a very close second CP. then it's hard to pick:

I really like Hershey - It's just such a nice park with such a variety of rides.
Loved BGE for Griffon and Nessie
Liked KD for Volcano, I-305 and Rebel Yell
I really liked KI too, that drop tower is awesome.

But from the above 4 if I had to pick one it would go to BGE for Griffon - I could ride that all day and I'm not one of those people who normally do that.

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/7/11 12:02:47 AM

> My #1 would have to be SFGAdv

How did I know you'd say that?! LOL ;)

For me, it's difficult to decide. I guess Cedar Point. For being such a coaster-heavy park, CP does have a good balance. The flats range from average, you-can-find-this-anywhere to awesome, more unique flats like MaxAir and Skyhawk. I feel like I'm bandwagon-hopping, but oh well. I love CP what can I say?

-Josh

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/7/11 12:27:20 AM

> My #1 would have to be SFGAdv

> How did I know you'd say that?! LOL ;)

LMAO! OK, OK, you got me, I deserved that ;~)

SFGAdv and Cedar Point are really a tie to me in terms of rides but because I grew up going to GAdv since I was a baby and have SO many great memories there over the years, it has my heart so that's what gives it the edge for me.

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/7/11 2:19:08 AM

1) Cedar Point
2) SF Great Adventure
3) SF Over Georgia
4) Kings Dominion
5) Hershey
6) SF Great America
7) SF Over Texas
8) Kennywood
9) Canadas Wonderland
10) BG Williamsburg

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/7/11 1:12:19 PM

> Forget about the atmosphere, food and cleanliness for a
> second. Based purely on ride experiences, what's your
> favorite amusement park?

> I think Kings Dominion is so sadly underrated. I'd say it
> fits right up there with Cedar Point, Magic Mountain, Great
> Adventure. I'm not sure about Kings Island since their SOB
> is sbno, although they do have the Huss giant freesby and
> the awesome tower besides diamondback and FoF.

> I don't wanna say what mine is first, so I'll let other
> people answer. But here is what REALLY does it for me in
> each park:
> KD: I305, Volcano, Dominator, Drop Tower, Crypt, Shockwave,
> FoF
> CP: Maverick, Dragster, MF, Raptor, Sky Hawk, Max Air,
> Power Tower, Wicked only in the very front, and mantis..
> Eh.
> GAdv: Kk, GL, El Toro, Nitro, Bizzaro, (never rode their
> Houdini or top spin but these 5 coasters alone make it one
> of the best parks)
> MM: Goliath, X2, Riddler's, Tatsu, Scream, I'm sure escape
> from Krypton is WAY better experience than what it was when
> I rode it forward, and I've never ridden their wooden ones.

> If anyone has ever been to Fuji-Q Highlands in Japan, it
> might also be up there with their S&S thrust air coaster,
> their bigger-and-better-then-X2 4th Dimension coaster, the
> steepest coaster in the world with also a launch and 7
> inversions, and their long ass hyper coaster, to name a
> few.

> So what's your favorite park based only on thrills?
> I'm sure

I agree with you 100 percent!! KD is highly underrated.Such a great variety of coasters and what makes KD much better than most parks is that all the coasters are above average for the most part.If Anaconda is your worst coaster,that is a good thing! Most parks have just as many stinkers as good coasters where as KD is well blanced and there are no stinkers,lol.I would put Kings Dominion right behind Cedar Point and Great Adventure as far as coasters go.It is also a beautiful park for a corporate park.Still has some charm to it unlike Dorney Park!I just had to take a shot at Dorney.I love Cedar Fair but they got rid of all the charm this park once had.Dorney used to be like a Knoebels.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/7/11 1:50:56 PM

> I agree with you 100 percent!! KD is highly underrated.Such
> a great variety of coasters and what makes KD much better
> than most parks is that all the coasters are above average
> for the most part.If Anaconda is your worst coaster,that is
> a good thing! Most parks have just as many stinkers as good
> coasters where as KD is well blanced and there are no
> stinkers,lol.I would put Kings Dominion right behind Cedar
> Point and Great Adventure as far as coasters go.It is also
> a beautiful park for a corporate park.Still has some charm
> to it unlike Dorney Park!I just had to take a shot at
> Dorney.I love Cedar Fair but they got rid of all the charm
> this park once had.Dorney used to be like a Knoebels.

I disagree. I loved Volcano, Rebel Yell (mostly due to nostalgia and impressive upkeep)and I-305 but other than that none of the other coasters are above average IMO. Dominator was good but not much above average for a floorless. FOF is OK (been there, done that), Avalanche was bad, Hurler was OK, Grizzly was bad and painful, Shockwave was OK, the effects on the stunt coaster were so abysmal that it was horrible - the one at KI blew it away. As you already mentioned, Anaconda was like being in a car accident. Don't get me wrong, I liked the park overall, enjoyed the time I spent there and I think it was well maintained. I just don't think all of their coasters are above average and there are a few "stinkers". Every park has them unfortunately.

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by squirrels at 8/7/11 5:32:02 PM

> I agree with you 100 percent!! KD is highly underrated.Such
> a great variety of coasters and what makes KD much better
> than most parks is that all the coasters are above average
> for the most part.If Anaconda is your worst coaster,that is
> a good thing! Most parks have just as many stinkers as good
> coasters where as KD is well blanced and there are no
> stinkers,lol.I would put Kings Dominion right behind Cedar
> Point and Great Adventure as far as coasters go.It is also
> a beautiful park for a corporate park.Still has some charm
> to it unlike Dorney Park!I just had to take a shot at
> Dorney.I love Cedar Fair but they got rid of all the charm
> this park once had.Dorney used to be like a Knoebels.

> I disagree. I loved Volcano, Rebel Yell (mostly due to
> nostalgia and impressive upkeep)and I-305 but other than
> that none of the other coasters are above average IMO.
> Dominator was good but not much above average for a
> floorless. FOF is OK (been there, done that), Avalanche was
> bad, Hurler was OK, Grizzly was bad and painful, Shockwave
> was OK, the effects on the stunt coaster were so abysmal
> that it was horrible - the one at KI blew it away. As you
> already mentioned, Anaconda was like being in a car
> accident. Don't get me wrong, I liked the park overall,
> enjoyed the time I spent there and I think it was well
> maintained. I just don't think all of their coasters are
> above average and there are a few "stinkers".
> Every park has them unfortunately.

> Jen

I think as time goes on Cedar Fair will start doing some good things with that park. They bought the park in 2007 from Paramount, who was more interested in selling movies than creating fun rides. Since Cedar Fair bought the park 4 years ago, they have both shipped in Dominator and built Intimidator 305.

Honestly, if they didn't have those coasters, I don't even know if it'd be worth going. What else do they have that competes with premier parks? The #3 coaster there behing I305 and Dom, in my mind, is probably Volcano TBC, which is fun but isn't much beyond the initial launch/rollout. The rest of their coasters are starting to show their ages, especially their woodies...they just weren't that memorable for me.

Cedar Fair seems to have a good relationship with premier coaster-builders like B&M and Intamin. KD could really stand one or two more new coasters to replace some of their "relics" and bring that park into the 21st century.

Let's hope. :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Based solely on rides.... by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 8/7/11 11:16:03 PM

Based solely on rides my hands-down fave park is none other than Cedar Point.

Been near and far, all over this great land, Canada as well, and for my time and my money, CP is the winner hands down. Delivers what this Momma wants and needs from a thrill park: THRILLS.

Don't really get into 'shows' per se and really...anything other than an adrenaline rush from a sleek piece-o-steel (ala MF!) is a waste of my time.

Yes, I've done parks for 'ambiance' before. And I've watched stage shows (some were really good). I've also foregone the big thrill parks to visit the smaller traditional venues.

Know what?

They just don't do anything for me.

Give me thrills, spills, and chills and lots of 'em. THAT'S what does it for *me.*

:D

~MommaBeast

Re: Based solely on rides.... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/8/11 12:30:44 AM

> Yes, I've done parks for 'ambiance' before. And I've
> watched stage shows (some were really good). I've also
> foregone the big thrill parks to visit the smaller
> traditional venues.

> Know what?

> They just don't do anything for me.

> Give me thrills, spills, and chills and lots of 'em. THAT'S
> what does it for *me.*

> :D

> ~MommaBeast

Exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/8/11 4:00:11 AM

> I think as time goes on Cedar Fair will start doing some
> good things with that park. They bought the park in 2007
> from Paramount, who was more interested in selling movies
> than creating fun rides. Since Cedar Fair bought the park 4
> years ago, they have both shipped in Dominator and built
> Intimidator 305.

> Honestly, if they didn't have those coasters, I don't even
> know if it'd be worth going. What else do they have that
> competes with premier parks? The #3 coaster there behing
> I305 and Dom, in my mind, is probably Volcano TBC, which is
> fun but isn't much beyond the initial launch/rollout. The
> rest of their coasters are starting to show their ages,
> especially their woodies...they just weren't that memorable
> for me.

> Cedar Fair seems to have a good relationship with premier
> coaster-builders like B&M and Intamin. KD could really
> stand one or two more new coasters to replace some of their
> "relics" and bring that park into the 21st
> century.

> Let's hope. :)
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

I agree with that. Volcano and FOF would both be the park's best 2 coasters if not for the additions of Dominator and I-305. So I'm happy about CF buying that park. The park should be runned by a company that deals with amusement parks rather than a movie studio company looking to promote it's own brands.

I dunno if what someone said about BGW having exclusive rights to B&M coasters is totally true, but Dominator is only there because it was already built at Geauga lake and shipped over rather than built at KD. Otherwise, I don't think you'd see a B&M coaster there.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by squirrels at 8/8/11 10:07:13 AM

What??

Maybe BGW exclusively uses B&M to build coasters for them, but there's no way they have "exclusive rights" to B&M coasters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolliger_%26_Mabillard#List_of_B.26M_rides

They've built several coasters at other parks, both in the US and internationally, in recent years.

Intamin does seem to be the preferred provider of the larger parks lately, though. B&M was king of the 1990s, but so far in the 2000s Intamin has been taking over.

I'd say a B&M invert would be a good ride for KD, but they already have an Intamin invert in Volcano. Maybe a "looser" hyper to complement I305, which I'd call a "tight" hyper.

What'd really be slick, at least in my opinion, is if they had a hydraulic launch coaster...something like a KdK/TTD but with track after the top-hat. Like StormRunner, only longer and more complete.

But I digress from the topic at hand. :)

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Tomes at 8/8/11 3:14:04 PM

First, Let me apologize for ending my original post with "I'm sure". Hahaha... I guess I was in the middle of a thought and I had to finish without proofreading.

Second, I agree with most of what everyone is saying.. And It's really difficult for me to pick a favorite. Maybe Cedar Point, because it does have a variety. But maybe Magic Mountain or Great Adventure. I would have to go to all 3 back to back to decide which one delivers the most thrills. You could spend 2 days in Cedar Point (My friends and I have) but don't forget that in the Six Flags parks you can get the flash passes so you don't have to wait in line. So you can do everything in 1 day whereas in CP you may only get 10-15 rides all day (I mean, 15-20 cycles, including repeats) on a busy day.. But I still love it.

If you are talking about what KD could use to really compete with CP, MM and GAdv - I think they should re-try an S&S Air-thrust coaster like the Hypersonic XLC!! I think since some of the competing parks already have an Intamin Hydraulic Launched coaster, this would be a nice unique experience. I'm really sad that they took it out to begin with! I realize they probably had a lot of problems with it, but the fact is, there is one standing in Japan and it's doing just fine for 7 or 8 years now. Also a 4th dimension coaster or a MASSIVE flying one would be cool for KD. It would make me go back next year.

All that being said, I guess if someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to pick my top 5 right now, despite being very indecisive I'd have to say:
1. Cedar Point
2. Great Adventure
3. Magic Mountain
4. Kings Dominion
5. Great America

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Tomes at 8/8/11 3:38:50 PM

By the way, I disagree that Dominator is better than Volcano.
I think the best coasters in KD are:
1. I305
2. Volcano
3. Dominator
4. FoF
5. Shockwave (personally :-)

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 8/8/11 5:02:41 PM

Based only on rides
Hershey followed closely by Canadas Wonderland.

Great mix of coasters at both and tons of other rides.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/8/11 7:10:37 PM

> What??

> Maybe BGW exclusively uses B&M to build coasters for them,
> but there's no way they have "exclusive rights"
> to B&M coasters.

> They've built several coasters at other parks, both in
> the US and internationally, in recent years.

Don't shoot the messenger, just saying what had been said here before.

> Intamin does seem to be the preferred provider of the
> larger parks lately, though. B&M was king of the 1990s, but
> so far in the 2000s Intamin has been taking over.

But B&M coasters are more reliable. I do give credit to Intamin for being risk takers and doing a bunch of different things: launchers, cable lift gigas, etc. But because they are 'unique' you never know what problems they might have. I-305 is going to be a failure imo if they have to put those trims back on that first drop. I still think they should've had an overbank turn than just raising the elevation of that first turn.

> I'd say a B&M invert would be a good ride for KD, but they
> already have an Intamin invert in Volcano. Maybe a
> "looser" hyper to complement I305, which I'd call
> a "tight" hyper.

If CF were to just shut down Great America in CA, they should move Flight deck from there to KD. Tear down hurler and set it up right there.

> What'd really be slick, at least in my opinion, is if they
> had a hydraulic launch coaster...something like a KdK/TTD
> but with track after the top-hat. Like StormRunner, only
> longer and more complete.

> But I digress from the topic at hand. :)

Never got to ride Hypersonic, so can't say much about air launchers. With all the other 'launchers' in the park, I don't see the need for another one.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/8/11 7:13:22 PM

> By the way, I disagree that Dominator is better than
> Volcano.
> I think the best coasters in KD are:
> 1. I305
> 2. Volcano
> 3. Dominator
> 4. FoF
> 5. Shockwave (personally :-)

Dominator to me is great ride overall. Volcano after the two launches is just average and unimaginative and too short. Maybe if they used more land, they could've set up a few more elements or such. But i go back to the length of the ride being a major disappointment.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 8/8/11 7:51:31 PM

Two words - Cedar Point

Let's follow up with SFMM.

Incidently, I still think that Volcano is the best coaster at KD (followed by Intimidator then Dominator).

MarathonRunner

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Tomes at 8/8/11 7:58:19 PM

> By the way, I disagree that Dominator is better than
> Volcano.
> I think the best coasters in KD are:
> 1. I305
> 2. Volcano
> 3. Dominator
> 4. FoF
> 5. Shockwave (personally :-)

> Dominator to me is great ride overall. Volcano after the
> two launches is just average and unimaginative and too
> short. Maybe if they used more land, they could've set up a
> few more elements or such. But i go back to the length of
> the ride being a major disappointment.

Fine, I'll have to agree with you on both points. But with minor disagreements: 1. Right after the 2nd launch u go straight up into the sidewinder element which is WAY cool, and it also makes the highest point of the track an inversion - which is very rare (even though this is also the case in FoF). Ur right, after ur shot out of the volcano, it's not extremely creative, BUT the kind of slow in-line twists are cool because most inversions are very quick so it's a little different feeling. Plus I haven't been on many rides that have 3 in-line twists. Actually I've been to none, other than volcano. It's just altogether different. But you're right they should have had it "do more things" but I'm sure it was a budget thing.

Dominator is awesome. I love floorless rides! But as someone mentioned in Another thread, one of B&Ms best elements is a 0g roll, which this coaster doesn't have, and if you've been on many other B&M loopers (which I have) then as much as I like it, and I DO, it's more or less just another one. One of my favorite parts is the low-to-the-ground u-turn after the loop, that's awesome, and it does have a unique layout for a B&M, but to me personally, Viocano really does it, despite the very valid faults you pointed out.

Anyway we both know it's just a matter of opinion :-)

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/8/11 8:14:58 PM

I LOVED Volcano and even re-rode it more than I-305. I thought it was not only a very unique coaster - it was so much FUN! I put it at the top of the list with I-305, way above Dominator IMO.

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by alpengeistno3 at 8/8/11 9:22:30 PM

> Maybe BGW exclusively uses B&M to build coasters for them,
> but there's no way they have "exclusive rights"
> to B&M coasters.

> They've built several coasters at other parks, both in
> the US and internationally, in recent years.

> Don't shoot the messenger, just saying what had been said
> here before.

That rumor has been circulating for a number of years. Similar to how EA has the exclusivity deal with using NFL trademarks in video games. It seems to make sense, but seeing how Tampa does not seem to have the same deal, (IOA slipped 2 Beemers in) it seems unlikely that Busch would pay for such a deal for the Williamsburg park and not the Tampa one.

Moving Dominator in was a deal that just made sense at the time and KD clearly put more thought into the theme for Intimidator than Carowinds, so for what they wanted to do, B&M wouldn't work.

I think KD and SFA have just been cheap, so that is why neither have a custom Beemer.

> If CF were to just shut down Great America in CA, they
> should move Flight deck from there to KD. Tear down hurler
> and set it up right there.

I'd take that. Dorney will have 2 inverted shuttle coasters next year courtessy of CGA. KD can certainly afford to finally get a "real" inverted coaster.

> Never got to ride Hypersonic, so can't say much about air
> launchers. With all the other 'launchers' in the park, I
> don't see the need for another one.

Hence the reason they got rid of it. Hypersonic really didn't do anything that their other launch coasters did not. Good riddance!!

Paul

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/8/11 9:54:23 PM

> Maybe BGW exclusively uses B&M to build coasters for them,
> but there's no way they have "exclusive rights"
> to B&M coasters.

> They've built several coasters at other parks, both in
> the US and internationally, in recent years.

> Don't shoot the messenger, just saying what had been said
> here before.

> That rumor has been circulating for a number of years.
> Similar to how EA has the exclusivity deal with using NFL
> trademarks in video games. It seems to make sense, but
> seeing how Tampa does not seem to have the same deal, (IOA
> slipped 2 Beemers in) it seems unlikely that Busch would
> pay for such a deal for the Williamsburg park and not the
> Tampa one.

As I understood it, if there ever was such a deal, it was temporary, and confined to the area where BGW is in direct competition with other parks. The Dive-coaster may still be in effect (again, just for the general area around the park), but any total exclusivity I highly doubt exists anymore, if it ever actually did. I believe it was just to preserve Griffon's marketability for the time being. And it certainly never applied to the whole country or world.

That's what I have gathered anyways...

-Josh

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/8/11 11:39:27 PM

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Now it makes sense. I would like to see a replacement for Anaconda and prefer it to be a B&M coaster. I would hope they can maybe have it built over Rebel Yell since that coaster is in the way of any expansion plans.

> I'd take that. Dorney will have 2 inverted shuttle coasters
> next year courtessy of CGA. KD can certainly afford to
> finally get a "real" inverted coaster.

Lol, :D

> Hence the reason they got rid of it. Hypersonic really
> didn't do anything that their other launch coasters did
> not. Good riddance!!

> Paul

Oic, yeah, from what I saw, it was sort of like a mini TTD. You have the one top hat and then a 'circular path' going back to the station. A one trick pony.... seems like a waste.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/8/11 11:45:32 PM

> Fine, I'll have to agree with you on both points. But with
> minor disagreements: 1. Right after the 2nd launch u go
> straight up into the sidewinder element which is WAY cool,
> and it also makes the highest point of the track an
> inversion - which is very rare (even though this is also
> the case in FoF). Ur right, after ur shot out of the
> volcano, it's not extremely creative, BUT the kind of slow
> in-line twists are cool because most inversions are very
> quick so it's a little different feeling. Plus I haven't
> been on many rides that have 3 in-line twists. Actually
> I've been to none, other than volcano. It's just altogether
> different. But you're right they should have had it
> "do more things" but I'm sure it was a budget
> thing.

Don't get me wrong, Everything from the two launches and then going thru the top of the mountain is awesome. So if you were to rate Volcano into two parts, the first half is easily A+. The rest of the ride I would say is more like a C+. Perhaps that was the reason being money and that they couldn't do more with it, but I still feel they could've done more with the ride than what is standing now. If it was longer and had more stuff, I would certainly put it even above Dominator.

> Dominator is awesome. I love floorless rides! But as
> someone mentioned in Another thread, one of B&Ms best
> elements is a 0g roll, which this coaster doesn't have, and
> if you've been on many other B&M loopers (which I have)
> then as much as I like it, and I DO, it's more or less just
> another one. One of my favorite parts is the
> low-to-the-ground u-turn after the loop, that's awesome,
> and it does have a unique layout for a B&M, but to me
> personally, Viocano really does it, despite the very valid
> faults you pointed out.

good points, I can respect that.

> Anyway we both know it's just a matter of opinion :-)

Well at least we can meet in the middle on some points, that's always a good thing :-) but ftr, Volcano still is a firm #3 on my list at that park, not too bad at all especially being a park staple for so many years.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/9/11 10:43:19 PM

I had to really think about this one.

1. BGW - Yes the entire park is one awesome experience and even though they don't have a lot of rides their coasters are all quality rides, including the RIP Big Bad Wolf (have yet to ride Griffon but it looks sweet)and they do a very good job in making their rides blend in with the surroundings.

2. Hersheypark - I could ride Storm Runner and Lightning Racer all day, be all that I would ride, and be totally content on what I paid for admission (have yet to ride Fahrenheit). Despite the love/hate for Skyrush I think it will be a fine addition to the park.

5. Six Flags Great America - One of the very few Six Flags parks with a very good lineup of flat rides that complement a very solid coaster collection. Like Hersheypark I could ride Raging Bull and Viper all day, be all that I would ride, and be totally content on what I paid for admission.

4. Six Flags Over Georgia - Mindbender, Goliath, and Georgia Scorcher alone really put this park high on G-Dog's list. Also throw in a bit of Acrophobia and you've got a good lineup of thrills outside Atlanta.

5. Six Flags St. Louis - A park that doesn't really offer much in non-coaster rides but having three very good wood coasters, a kick-a$$ Premier shuttle (IMO), and an ultra-fun Gerstlauer spinning coaster also put this park high on G-Dog's list.

G-Dog

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 8/9/11 11:03:25 PM

> I had to really think about this one.

> 1. BGW - Yes the entire park is one awesome experience and
> even though they don't have a lot of rides their coasters
> are all quality rides, including the RIP Big Bad Wolf (have
> yet to ride Griffon but it looks sweet)and they do a very
> good job in making their rides blend in with the
> surroundings.

> 2. Hersheypark - I could ride Storm Runner and Lightning
> Racer all day, be all that I would ride, and be totally
> content on what I paid for admission (have yet to ride
> Fahrenheit). Despite the love/hate for Skyrush I think it
> will be a fine addition to the park.

> 5. Six Flags Great America - One of the very few Six Flags
> parks with a very good lineup of flat rides that complement
> a very solid coaster collection. Like Hersheypark I could
> ride Raging Bull and Viper all day, be all that I would
> ride, and be totally content on what I paid for admission.

> 4. Six Flags Over Georgia - Mindbender, Goliath, and
> Georgia Scorcher alone really put this park high on G-Dog's
> list. Also throw in a bit of Acrophobia and you've got a
> good lineup of thrills outside Atlanta.

> 5. Six Flags St. Louis - A park that doesn't really offer
> much in non-coaster rides but having three very good wood
> coasters, a kick-a$$ Premier shuttle (IMO), and an
> ultra-fun Gerstlauer spinning coaster also put this park
> high on G-Dog's list.

> G-Dog

Great minds think alike G-Dog!! I'm sooo glad you liked SFStL as much as I did/do. And SFoG with Mindbender---shooooot, enough said! I love that park too (let's not mention Acrophobia which scared me to near death-but in a good way!).

And for a not-too-far-from-me park in SFGrAm: Raging Bull is one schweeeet ride! And I could re-ride Richochet all day long and into the night :) !!

Good choices, especially with the 'complete package' that BGW *IS.*

I'd still have to stick with CP as my top pick for parks based solely on rides though.

Great List!
~MommaBeast

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 8/9/11 11:04:55 PM

> Based only on rides
> Hershey followed closely by Canadas Wonderland.

> Great mix of coasters at both and tons of other rides.

Strange how one man's poison is another man's pleasure. I totally hated Canada's Wonderland and would never ever consider a return visit no matter what fan-tab-u-lous ride they installed.

~MommaBeast

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/11 12:11:57 AM

> I had to really think about this one.

> 1. BGW - (have
> yet to ride Griffon but it looks sweet)

Sweet doesn't even begin to describe it!

> 5. Six Flags St. Louis - and an
> ultra-fun Gerstlauer spinning coaster also put this park
> high on G-Dog's list.

Now that's one type of coaster I haven't been on. Are there any of them on the east coast?

I am really kicking myself for not going to St. Louis, WOF and Valley Fair while I was in Iowa and they were within a reasonable driving distance. There was always a test to study for, a paper to write or research to do but in hind sight, a day or 2 off probably would've done wonders for my psyche.

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by alyssadiann1219 at 8/10/11 12:21:54 AM

Cedar Point. loooove every single coaster there. makes me proud to say im from ohio. top five:

1. Maverick (although it does give me a headache)
2. Dragster
3. Millenium
4. Magnum
5. Raptor

I guess these arent really in order I just can't put them in order.. just my favorite in the park

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 8/10/11 7:51:50 PM

> 5. Six Flags St. Louis - and an
> ultra-fun Gerstlauer spinning coaster also put this park
> high on G-Dog's list.

> Now that's one type of coaster I haven't been on. Are there
> any of them on the east coast?

Jen, I believe the only park on the East Coast with a Gerstlauer spinner is at Six Flags New England.

Regarding Canada's Wonderland - their coaster collection is rather bland (only been there once - back in 2002) but I would gladly take their flat ride collection, which is quite stellar for a major theme park.

Mix Canada's Wonderland's flats with Six Flags Magic Mountain's or Great Adventure's coaster lineup and you'd have one heck of a park.

G-Dog

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/11 8:26:08 PM

> 5. Six Flags St. Louis - and an
> ultra-fun Gerstlauer spinning coaster also put this park
> high on G-Dog's list.

> Now that's one type of coaster I haven't been on. Are there
> any of them on the east coast?

> Jen, I believe the only park on the East Coast with a
> Gerstlauer spinner is at Six Flags New England.

NOOOOO! Not in MA! Won't step foot in the state unless I'm driving through to go to NH :~)

I guess I'll have to go to ST. Louis someday....

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/11/11 2:23:17 PM

> 5. Six Flags St. Louis - and an
> ultra-fun Gerstlauer spinning coaster also put this park
> high on G-Dog's list.

> Now that's one type of coaster I haven't been on. Are there
> any of them on the east coast?

> Jen, I believe the only park on the East Coast with a
> Gerstlauer spinner is at Six Flags New England.

> NOOOOO! Not in MA! Won't step foot in the state unless I'm
> driving through to go to NH :~)

> I guess I'll have to go to ST. Louis someday....

> Jen
>

I think it's called pandemonium and I rode it once when I went there this spring. It was such a longggggg wait, but we were determined to get the credit haha.

Was it fun? hell yeah! spinning and moving pretty fast with some force, not a bad concept. It's just not as thrilling as a more traditional coaster and not worth more than 20 minutes tops wait time.

It's interesting seeing people who love and hate some parks. I have never had a bad enough experience at a park that made me hate it.

- mugen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/11/11 2:51:40 PM

> It's interesting seeing people who love and hate some
> parks. I have never had a bad enough experience at a park
> that made me hate it.

> - mugen

Dorney Park - dead to me! The worst park experience I have ever had - the WORST customer service I have ever experienced and most of their main rides were down the entire day.

See TR for full explanation as to why I will never patronize that park again and flip it the bird every time I pass it while driving to Hershey:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/cgi/forum1.cgi?read=211037

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/11/11 9:54:59 PM

> Dorney Park - dead to me! The worst park experience I have
> ever had - the WORST customer service I have ever
> experienced and most of their main rides were down the
> entire day.

> See TR for full explanation as to why I will never
> patronize that park again and flip it the bird every time I
> pass it while driving to Hershey:

> Jen

I didn't join this forum until last December. I went back and read it. Awesome TR. It sounded like you took the Grizwalds with you. I've been to that park 3 times including this year and never had that kind of bad luck. The one thing about that park is everything is just about a walk on. Maybe you'll go back some day and have a better time.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/11/11 10:57:36 PM

> I didn't join this forum until last December. I went back
> and read it. Awesome TR. It sounded like you took the
> Grizwalds with you. I've been to that park 3 times
> including this year and never had that kind of bad luck.
> The one thing about that park is everything is just about a
> walk on. Maybe you'll go back some day and have a better
> time.

Not without a free pass, Xanax, and a guarantee that Free Fall will be working! :~)

My hatred for it has just been festering since I was there - I actually think it's worse now than after I went. I just think the park is mediocre at best, and way too expensive for what it offers. I'd rather give my money to Hershey than take another chance on it.

And I wish the Griswolds were with me - at least I would have been entertained! LOL!

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/12/11 12:01:47 AM

Yeah....Dorney is pretty lame! It's ashame that it has to be my home park.Back in the day it was more of a family park like Knoebels.Cedar Fair bought it and got rid of all the charm it once had.All they get anymore are hand me downs from other parks.They need something like a gravity group woodie.Now that would make me want to go there more often.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 8/12/11 2:16:40 AM

> Dorney Park - dead to me! The worst park experience I have
> ever had - the WORST customer service I have ever
> experienced and most of their main rides were down the
> entire day.

> Jen

Hmmmmm ... beastmaster and I might have to enlighten you with an October trip to Dorney accompanied by my two ride-fiend friends with autism who love both coasters AND Halloween. Can you say Camp CUDie?

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/12/11 8:42:23 AM

> Hmmmmm ... beastmaster and I might have to enlighten you
> with an October trip to Dorney accompanied by my two
> ride-fiend friends with autism who love both coasters AND
> Halloween. Can you say Camp CUDie?

Mmmmm.....CORNSTALKERS!!!!!

That'd be pretty cool. Actually, more like COLD. It ain't exactly warm on them thar nights in Allentown in October.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/12/11 11:18:50 AM

> Dorney Park - dead to me! The worst park experience I have
> ever had - the WORST customer service I have ever
> experienced and most of their main rides were down the
> entire day.

> Jen

> Hmmmmm ... beastmaster and I might have to enlighten you
> with an October trip to Dorney accompanied by my two
> ride-fiend friends with autism who love both coasters AND
> Halloween. Can you say Camp CUDie?

Why does everyone want to take me to Dorney?! I thought you were my friend... :-(

Jen

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by mfmike at 8/12/11 12:54:56 PM

Cedar Point is an easy first, followed by Kings Island.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 8/17/11 7:08:59 AM

Hello everyone,

Since I am living in Japan, I thought I'd better reply to this post. First, I have not been to that many parks here because of having a very young family, but I have been to most of the big ones.

The best park for rides? I am trying to figure out how to compare places. I just went to Sea Paradise and found a seriously undrerrated coaster, and a lot of really fun flats.

Yes, Fuji-Q probably has the best collection of coasters that have pushed the envelope when built. Fujiyama is by far the best Togo coaster, and it really is one of my favorites. Dodonpa is more fun than TTD or KK with more to it than a 90 degree up and down. Eijeneika is just crazy. I don't know what Takabisha will be like, but with the history of groundbreaking coasters there, it should be pretty good.

Tobu Zoo has IMHO the best coaster design in the world with Kawasemi, then there is Regina which is sort of a sister to the Dania Beach Hurricane. The Crazy Mouse was to the world what SOB was, a mouse with a loop. It was rough, but still pretty fun. For some reason they closed it down a couple of years ago. No rumors are circulating about taking out the loop and operting it again. Ok, so there are two great coasters and one of the better kid's areas along with a very fun go-kart track around a lake.

Next we have Nagashima Spa-Land which has the most coasters of any park in Japan. I view NSL as what Astroworld could have been if it was better taken care of, and had two signature coasters. NSL has two coasters much like the ones at Fuji-Q that were custom built, and pushed the envelope. White Cyclone and SD2K are so unique that with just those two rides NSL is in the running for my favorite park.

However, in addition to this there are two outstanding Schwartzkopfs, an original Arrow Corkscrew, one of the few operating Ultra-Twisters in the world, a first generation Intamin Free-fall, a one-of-a-kind electrical car that glides along a steel surface. As an old friend of mine from work used to say, "You can't beat that with a stick!"

So here's my list:
1. Nagashima Spa-Land
2. Fuji-Q Highland
3. SFGAdv
4. CP
5. SFGAm
6. SFStl
7. Tobu Zoo
8. BGW
9. BGT
10. HW

-Tim

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Tomes at 8/19/11 7:18:22 PM

> Hello everyone,

> Since I am living in Japan, I thought I'd better reply to
> this post. First, I have not been to that many parks here
> because of having a very young family, but I have been to
> most of the big ones.

> The best park for rides? I am trying to figure out how to
> compare places. I just went to Sea Paradise and found a
> seriously undrerrated coaster, and a lot of really fun
> flats.

> Yes, Fuji-Q probably has the best collection of coasters
> that have pushed the envelope when built. Fujiyama is by
> far the best Togo coaster, and it really is one of my
> favorites. Dodonpa is more fun than TTD or KK with more to
> it than a 90 degree up and down. Eijeneika is just crazy. I
> don't know what Takabisha will be like, but with the
> history of groundbreaking coasters there, it should be
> pretty good.

> Tobu Zoo has IMHO the best coaster design in the world with
> Kawasemi, then there is Regina which is sort of a sister to
> the Dania Beach Hurricane. The Crazy Mouse was to the world
> what SOB was, a mouse with a loop. It was rough, but still
> pretty fun. For some reason they closed it down a couple of
> years ago. No rumors are circulating about taking out the
> loop and operting it again. Ok, so there are two great
> coasters and one of the better kid's areas along with a
> very fun go-kart track around a lake.

> Next we have Nagashima Spa-Land which has the most coasters
> of any park in Japan. I view NSL as what Astroworld could
> have been if it was better taken care of, and had two
> signature coasters. NSL has two coasters much like the ones
> at Fuji-Q that were custom built, and pushed the envelope.
> White Cyclone and SD2K are so unique that with just those
> two rides NSL is in the running for my favorite park.

> However, in addition to this there are two outstanding
> Schwartzkopfs, an original Arrow Corkscrew, one of the few
> operating Ultra-Twisters in the world, a first generation
> Intamin Free-fall, a one-of-a-kind electrical car that
> glides along a steel surface. As an old friend of mine from
> work used to say, "You can't beat that with a
> stick!"

> So here's my list:
> 1. Nagashima Spa-Land
> 2. Fuji-Q Highland
> 3. SFGAdv
> 4. CP
> 5. SFGAm
> 6. SFStl
> 7. Tobu Zoo
> 8. BGW
> 9. BGT
> 10. HW

> -Tim

Holy crap Tim, you don't know how jealous of you I am!
Especially because I was in Japan last October, and both NSL and FQH were closed for the season :-( I was sooo mad, but my parents paid for the trip, so I didn't have much to say... And they're not all about roller coasters. That being said, I did ride the Thunder Dolphin which was really fun in the beginning but then got pretty boring, since much of the ride is on top of the roof so there's not much room for large drops.

Also, I CAN NOT BELIEVE you like NSL more than F-QH!! What is wrong with you?!?! lol... I REALLY hope another S&S Hydraulic launch coaster makes it to the states.

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 8/24/11 9:19:13 AM

> Holy crap Tim, you don't know how jealous of you I am!
> Especially because I was in Japan last October, and both
> NSL and FQH were closed for the season :-( I was sooo mad,
> but my parents paid for the trip, so I didn't have much to
> say... And they're not all about roller coasters. That
> being said, I did ride the Thunder Dolphin which was really
> fun in the beginning but then got pretty boring, since much
> of the ride is on top of the roof so there's not much room
> for large drops.

Actually, I really like Thunder Dolphin. It has two great drops, and that rocking side-to-side action that I have yet to experience on another coaster. Actually TDC might be another park good for rides: log flume (pretty fast), Linear Gale, and a couple of fun flats that my daughter (four years old) likes.

> Also, I CAN NOT BELIEVE you like NSL more than F-QH!! What
> is wrong with you?!?! lol... I REALLY hope another S&S
> Hydraulic launch coaster makes it to the states.

It is practically a tie, that would probably be broken if the waits at FJQ weren't so darn long. Eijeneika reminds me of when BTR first opened: you would wait for two hours to ride for 45 seconds. Maybe Takabisha will win me over, but I just love the unique combination of new and exciting, and old classics at NSL. I guess it is also both the quantity and quality of NSL. Other than the biggie coasters at FJQ, there is not a whole lot else.

I am surprised that the parks were closed, they are open pretty much all year. Sorry about that. I still want to get to Universal Osaka, and a few other places.

You should feel confident that you rode one of the best coasters in Japan. Some people even like Thunder Dolphin better than SD2K.

I hope you can come back to Japan. We would be glad to meet you and show you around the coasters. My wife has this sixth sense for finding good deals, so we could figure out the best way to get everywhere for you.

-Tim

Re: Favorite Park based on just Rides by Tomes at 8/26/11 2:21:06 PM

Thanks Tim, that's nice!
I do travel internationally quite often, and I do see myself visiting Japan some time in the future. But it probably won't be for another few years. But if and when I do, I will let you know for sure!
I would LOVE to try out some of those rides like eejanaika, dodonpa, takabisha, fujyiama and sd2000.

About Thunder Dolphin, I agree that it has 2 good drops, but to me - the side-to-side part at the end seems like a result of lack of momentum. See, it loses so much momentum climbing over the roof and staying there, that it's too slow to add some more hills cuz it wouldn't make it up them. So instead of having a very long and boring straight section, they made it rock from side to side a bunch of times. It COULD be fun if it was doing it at 50mph or faster, but it's just really slow. That's my opinion anyway.

Either way, take care!!
~Tomes