Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long)

SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long)

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
8/3/11 at
10:58:53 PM

Well, I have the honor of writing our TR for our fabulous SFGAdv trip on 8/2 (sorry it’s so long but I’m writing for 4 people 8-). I picked up Mike G (Beastmaster) and we met Paul (Alpengeistno3) and Gee (Darkwingduck) at the WaWa before the park at 10 am and surprisingly, everyone was quite punctual. Then Gee gets out of her car, wearing a Red Sox hat, and tries to hug me hello. I tried to run away and even screamed but she got me. I’m not going to lie - it burned a little (LOL). We followed each other into the parking lot and got in about 10:30 at opening. Got our Flash Pass (which I will refer to as FP from here on in) and a nice surprise – if you have a season pass you save $10 on a FP for 4!

The Fab Four: Gee, Me, Paul and Mike before our first ride on GL

The first ride for us was Green Lantern, since I haven’t ridden it yet. Since it’s a stand-up we took a front row for comfort (about a 10 minute wait – they were running 3 trains as efficiently as they could with a stand-up) and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Very easy to defensively ride and it was quite smooth compared to others I have ridden in the past. Mike mentioned it was the smoothest ride he’s had on it to date. GL has become my favorite currently operating stand-up.

Green Lantern

Since we were by Superman it was only logical that it be next. I HATE flyers (as many of you know) so I sat this one out. The others can fill in what happened on line but I went to have a cigarette over by the go-carts and I met a really nice guy from Great Britain. We had a nice conversation then I went back up to the ride. No sign of them. I went and filled my water bottle by the bathrooms and went back, still nothing. By now it was about 25 minutes since they went on and I was nervous that I missed them. Didn’t pick an actual spot to meet up (obviously bad mistake) and I wasn’t sure what to do. Walked back down to the smoking area to see if they went there to meet me but nothing. Then, as I was waiting someone pointed out that there was an empty train stuck on the lift hill. Turns out they were putting another train on the tracks and the delay was pretty bad (the others who were on line can fill in what happened). I told you I hate that ride! They finally came off and Paul blamed me for it since I bash that ride and I was the one who inputted it into the FP (LOL).

Superman's empty second train stuck on the lift hill

Our next ride was El Toro. Mike and I took the back row and Gee and Paul were in front of us. Paul was concerned he may have problems fitting but the ride ops were awesome and pushed the restraint down until it was in position. It was an awesome ride, as usual. It never ceases to amaze me how tightly you are strapped in and yet how your butt is never on that seat. We decided since it was early and the crowds were still light we’d take another spin and did so in the same seats, naturally having to push our way through the front rows to get to the empty back rows. When will people learn? Oh well, better for us back seat riders. On the second ride Mike told me to hang onto the handle on the back of the seat in front and pull back for better airtime (like that’s possible on El Toro) but guess what? It WAS possible – oh my GOD! I felt like I was literally going to fly out of my seat (more so than usual)! You all must try that – ridiculous (but fun!).

El Toro

We then headed over to what I still call Medusa (Bizarro). Since we had 4 people we didn’t take a back row since 2 seats are occupied by horrible audio equipment and took the second to last row. Every time I ride that coaster it reminds me of how underrated it is. It is hands down the best floorless out there. If it weren’t for the inaudible noise blaring from the speakers, it would be perfect. Once again we decided to jump back on. There was hardly a line (they were running 3 trains) so we didn’t even bother with the FP and went back on, this time taking a front row seat. Still great (although the back is better for G-forces). It’s always nice to get front rides in from time to time for the visuals.
Bi-zar-ro, Bi-zar-ro, Bi-zar-ro! (that was for you Paul! :~)

We then headed to the Log Flume. It was pretty hot out but actually quite tolerable. The humidity was low and there was a nice breeze (especially on the elevated platforms) and even when we were in the sun, once we sought shade I was pretty comfortable. OK, back to the Log Flume. We figured we would take 2 boats and split up since 4 of us in one boat would get us SOAKED with all of the weight. Then Gee decided she didn’t want to ride and it was Paul in the back and me and Mike in the front of one boat. I thought for sure I was dead in the very front with all of our weight. Got a few splashes here and there (some at unexpected moments – the water was very high) and then at the end I ducked and covered my head so Mike got the brunt of the final splash instead of me! (he he he). We all got a little wet but nothing as bad as I thought it would be.

Then we headed across to the Runaway Train, which was only running one train (maintenance was working on the other one off the main track, which would be back up and running later on). The FP came in handy there. It is another underrated ride. It really is the best mine train ride out there in terms of speed, elements and its location. It has also been very well maintained considering it is 36 years old and opened with the park in 1974. I often skip it but when I do ride it (usually because someone else wants to) I always wonder why I don’t ride it more often. Fun little mine ride.

Now it was time to go to my Green King! I never ride him first because after that all the other rides seem so tame that I don’t enjoy them as much. They are only running one side with 3 trains, similar to the way TTD is run, except today they only had one loading station open. I thought this was stupid and was going to take forever but then we saw the “speed demon ops”, who most certainly got the job by winning some sort of “how fast can you get people on and off and dispatch a ride” challenge. They were CRAZY! I have never seen a KK line move so fast. The front row had a long wait (in speed op time not so bad but we were not familiar with their abilities when we first saw the line). This was Gee’s first ride on KK and she was nervous. Paul and I were waiting in the second row and Mike and Gee were in the third. They went on one train before us and before she could even think about bailing she was strapped in and on the launch track. No time for getting off – those speed-ops don’t play around. We took the next train and I got my awesome launch. Great ride as usual – I missed him. We were tight lipped about my affair with Griffon because we didn’t want to anger him, potentially causing him to cease operation! ;~)

My King!

We then took a break and ate a late lunch then returned for Nitro. We sat in the last row (is there any other place to sit on Nitro?). Since we have read on here from several people that there is no airtime on Nitro we had to test the theory. They were right! No airtime whatsoever! I mean my butt and legs were off the seat more than on it, there were times I was literally floating (wait, what exactly is the definition of airtime again?) LOL! It was a great ride – she (or he – do you consider Nitro a boy or girl? Name sounds boy but colors scream girl) was riding fast and smooth. And I don’t care what some say, the airtime is ridiculous and the only ride in the park that has more is El Toro.

We then went on Batman TR and again took the obligatory last row. We had a great ride. It may be a clone but it is still one the better inverts out there. Too short? Yes, but it has great G-forces and it has been kept in good condition.

Batman TR

We went back to Nitro for another ride since we were on that side of the park. Last row again and as before she/he didn’t disappoint. Nitro is by far my favorite B & M hyper.

Nitro in the trees

Then we took a spin on Skull Mountain. Gee sat this one out – the seats were too low and hurting her previously damaged knee. I have really developed a new found appreciation for this ride, especially since the Dark Knight. They had a glowing “mean” pumpkin with what looked to be a skeleton on it (used to have a skeleton that you could sometimes see, sometimes not) which was pretty cool. It was a good ride but very warm – no air conditioning on in the queue or inside where the ride is.

Then we began to have a discussion about Blackbeard’s Lost Treasure. Paul and Mike were shocked when I said I have never ridden it because I don’t go on kiddie coasters for credits (LOL). They both were trying to convince me it was not a kiddie coaster and went pretty fast. With a gun to my head I went on with them (Gee sat this one out). That was the most pathetic coaster experience I’ve been on in a while. It’s a kiddie coaster. Just because adults can fit into it doesn’t make it an adult coaster IMO! They were saying it felt slower than usual and making excuses for it. C’mon guys, just admit it’s a kiddie coaster, and move on! ;~)

We headed back to the other side of the park and wanted to hit GL again but it was down so we went on my man KK. This time we waited for the front row (Can’t have a day at GAdv without a front row ride on KK!) The psycho ride ops were moving the line so fast that it really wasn’t much of a wait at all – about 15 minutes. Paul and I went first and while we were waiting to launch we were sprayed with what seemed to be water (I first thought it was oil) from the track. Naturally the pre-mature “you know what” jokes began then OH MY GOD! That was the fastest launch I have ever experienced on KK (and I have ridden it more times than I could possibly ever count). It was so fast it was actually uncomfortable. We were both commenting on it – it was ridiculous. Mike returned from their front seat ride with a bloody head – no, not from the super speed launch but apparently the speed freak ride op was pulling the harness over his head when he wasn’t looking and scratched up his scalp a bit. After he got some ice for it and cleaned up a bit (Mike can fill in the details here for you) he also commented on the speed of the launch and how that was the fastest he has ever felt it as well. Something was up with that ride. We were going over to GL when we heard the announcement from KK that it was down. Probably blew something from the 160 mph launches I thought LOL.

GL was back up and running so we went over and as we were climbing the stairs Paul says he wants to ride in a real row and is heading for the back. I told him he was crazy! Back rows on stand-ups hurt. But he insisted. I started to follow, telling him if I get battered he’s going to pay but Mike and Gee weren’t having it and went for the front. I abandoned Paul as well and joined them. I liked the coaster and didn’t want to hate it on the final ride of the day. I’ll try another row another time but for today I wanted to enjoy it. We saw that KK was running empty trains again while waiting and we wanted to re-ride to see if they slowed it down somehow after we got off. While we were waiting the attendant on the microphone was hysterical saying things like: “Do not sit on the seats – this is a stand up roller coaster. If you sit I’ll be very upset because that means you don’t understand the concept of standing and that’s sad” and “if you don’t want to stand go on another roller coaster – this one is not for you”. He had so many other lines that were good too but I don’t remember them verbatim. He was quite entertaining. The second ride was actually a little rougher than the first but still good. I have decided that I am going to break in to GAdv at night and spray paint that yellow loop green – as someone on here already commented about it in another post– it looks stupid.

Stupid yellow loop

We were going to hit KK again but it was down again – they only ran a few trains through than nothing. Mike mentioned when he was watching it the cars seemed to be barley cresting the top hat (ooh – a possible roll back!) but no luck. I still wonder what happened to make it go that fast then slow it down like that.

We headed back to the Bull. Believe it or not the last row had a LONG line (almost unheard of) so me & Paul took the second to last row and Mike rode somewhere in the middle. Gee’s knee was bothering her pretty bad so she was resting it and didn’t ride. Paul and I got into the seats and it was the EXACT same seat and same car he rode in earlier. There was a female ride op that weighed about 100 pounds wet that comes over on my side (left) and leans over trying to push his lap bar down to no avail (she could barely reach it!). Then a scrawny teenage guy come to his side and gives a half-assed push (never tried pushing both together) and they made him leave. I tried telling them that he rode this twice earlier with no problem but they wouldn’t hear it. I felt terrible and he obviously could fit but they just didn’t really try or care like the earlier ops – they were great (and 2 guys who had some strength to them). Oh well. The ride wasn’t as good as our earlier two. Seemed rougher but that may be because I was pissed about what happened to Paul. Mike said that was his worst ride on El Toro ever so maybe it wasn’t just me.

Then we headed to Rolling Thunder. I always ride it once a year and after I do I always say never again. It was so bad that I don’t know why they still operate it. There are so many racing woodies out there, a lot older than RT, but in MUCH better shape. It’s like they’ve just left it to rot. Very sad. It used to be such a great coaster.

It was getting dark now and Paul wanted to ride Medusa (yes, Medusa!) at night so we headed there. At first the thought of walking over there was daunting – my feet were killing me – but it was a great call. I had never ridden it at night as Bizarro and with the lights and fire it was an awesome ride. We waited for the back row and split up. That’s when Mike mentioned to me that when I break in to paint the loop on GL green I have to take a sledge hammer to the audio on all of the Bizarro trains too. Then, we were granted a wish – Mike and I had a train that the audio wasn’t working on! It was blissful! (Paul mentioned we were on train B if anyone ever wants to avoid that horrendous noise).

We checked KK’s status on the FP and it was still down and I screamed “why have you forsaken me?!” and the pass vibrates and says KK is now open! I swear, I can’t make this stuff up 8-)

We headed over there and it was down again or perhaps never really up and he was just teasing me. Paul went in like a detective to try and see if it was due to mechanical or computer problems. It appeared to be computer (he can explain his theory as to why KK will have computer problems with only running one side). He said they would probably have to reset it from the maintenance area and then it would take at least 30 minutes before they could run it. We weren’t waiting so we went onto our night ride on Nitro. KK did eventually re-open but we were on the other side already.

We went on Nitro, the last row and wow – what an AWESOME ride. The temperature had cooled off a bit but it was still hot on the platform area. Once we descended down that first hill into the blackness of the woods the air went from city hot to country brisk and cool – it was amazing. No lights, no bugs, just a great ride. This is something I think SFGAdv has over CP – Night rides with no insects splattered all over your face and body (I’m still scarred from my nighttime insect carnage MF ride). As we returned to the station (this was supposed to be our final ride of the night) they all start looking at me (I was the holder of the FP) and ask what time it is. I said 9:40, they were all commenting on how great that ride was and so on (I knew what they wanted) so I said OK, fine and I put Nitro in for another ride. We had to wait about 6 minutes and when we went back on we had a little scuffle for the end seats – Mike and Paul had them on the last ride so it was only fair that me and Gee have them now. Mike wasn’t having it and still wanted an end seat so I ran in first and sat in the seat and let him climb over me to put the “free” Gadv drink bottles in the holders on the side LOL (we found them left at various places throughout the day and kept them for future use). He was using the bottles as a ploy to have to get that seat since he had to put them on the side, yeah, like that would work with me, LOL! It was as awesome as the last ride and a perfect end to a fantastic day.

Ferris Wheel at night

It was one of the best days I’ve had there in a long time. I can’t remember the last time I closed the park. Did it all the time when I was younger but now I usually go, get my rides in and go home. I forgot how pretty the park looks at night or how awesome night rides are. It was great to see Mike again, to finally meet Paul (who has always been one of my favorite posters here and has helped me tremendously on trips to other parks) and Gee (even though her taste in baseball teams is questionable, it was fun trying to throw her hat off rides or burn it at times, LOL) and we all got along great and had a lot of fun. We’ve decided this will now be a yearly trip for us so next year we can plan it earlier so perhaps more of you can join us. If you do you’re in for some good times, that I can promise!

Jen

p.s. Mike, Paul and Gee feel free to add anything I’ve left out!

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/4/11 12:07:07 AM

Sounds like a great day! Glad you 4 enjoyed yourselves. :)

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/4/11 12:50:12 AM

Great TR Jen. I'll be there next year with you guys if I'm on my time home off the boat when you guys decide to go.

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 1:56:13 AM

> Great TR Jen. I'll be there next year with you guys if I'm
> on my time home off the boat when you guys decide to go.

Awesome! We'll start the planning early in the season to make sure we can get a day that everyone who wants to go is available. We'll find a time that you can go that works for everyone else too, I'm sure.

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by alpengeistno3 at 8/4/11 3:03:21 AM

First, great job summing up the day, Jen. You deserve a Pulitzer for your journalistic work!!

I'm snipping things that I don't specifically comment on.

> The first ride for us was Green Lantern, since I haven’t
> ridden it yet. Since it’s a stand-up we took a front row
> for comfort (about a 10 minute wait – they were running 3
> trains as efficiently as they could with a stand-up) and I
> have to say I really enjoyed it. Very easy to defensively
> ride and it was quite smooth compared to others I have
> ridden in the past. Mike mentioned it was the smoothest
> ride he’s had on it to date. GL has become my favorite
> currently operating stand-up.

I rode Green Lantern when it was Chang at KK way back in 2004. I remembered it being a mirror image of Mantis with an extra corkscrew. Unfortunately, it was not memorable in any other way, so it still felt like a new ride to me. For those who have problems with the wide B&M bicycle seats doing a number on their "under carriage", the middle seats have a raised section in the middle of the train. Setting your seat with your feet flat on the floor then placing your right or left foot on the raised section throughout the ride helps a lot!!

> Since we were by Superman it was only logical that it be
> next.

Here's the scoop on Supes. We used the flash pass to bypass the nearly full queue line and had to wait at the merge point at the bottom of stairs before entering the line. It was taking a long time. We were too busy noticing how the line was growing to notice that they were only running 1 train. With 1 train, it could have EASILY been an hour and a half to 2 hr. line for the 5 min dispatches the crew was getting. We opted for row 5 just to try to get out of there as soon as possible. Right as it was our turn to board, maintenance gave the signal to shut the ride down so they could add the 2nd train. Apparently, they were late certifying the ride and went through the whole 2 train operation test (which included checking the safety system to make sure the trains would "set up" if each of the blocks were occupied. Hence Jen's picture of the train "crowned" on the top of the lift.)

Normally, I won't ride Supes if there is anything longer than a walk-on, but Jen was anxious to show off her Flash pass "toy" to us newbies (none of the rest of us have ever used one before). It was ironic that it backfired on a ride that she had no intention of riding, lol!!

>
>
> Superman's empty second train stuck on the lift hill

> Our next ride was El Toro. Mike and I took the back row and
> Gee and Paul were in front of us. Paul was concerned he may
> have problems fitting but the ride ops were awesome and
> pushed the restraint down until it was in position. It was
> an awesome ride, as usual. It never ceases to amaze me how
> tightly you are strapped in and yet how your butt is never
> on that seat. We decided since it was early and the crowds
> were still light we’d take another spin and did so in the
> same seats, naturally having to push our way through the
> front rows to get to the empty back rows. When will people
> learn? Oh well, better for us back seat riders. On the
> second ride Mike told me to hang onto the handle on the
> back of the seat in front and pull back for better airtime
> (like that’s possible on El Toro) but guess what? It WAS
> possible – oh my GOD! I felt like I was literally going
> to fly out of my seat (more so than usual)! You all must
> try that – ridiculous (but fun!).

I haven't rode El Toro for 2 years. The ops are usually so occupied with trying to get the trains out, they will only push half-heartedly one or two times and kick me off. This time, I got an op who realized that the bar was almost closed and the two worked TOGETHER to get the extra nudge to get the sensor to clear. As Jen pointed out, it was not to be later that evening. I hate it when ops change shifts as I had the same problem with Alpengeist. The op there was actually "lazy" enough to tell me "we don't have time to keep squeezing you in this seat". (Ironically, the station was near empty.) I really considered going to guest relations, but I couldn't remember his name.

> We then headed over to what I still call Medusa (Bizarro).
> Since we had 4 people we didn’t take a back row since 2
> seats are occupied by horrible audio equipment and took the
> second to last row. Every time I ride that coaster it
> reminds me of how underrated it is. It is hands down the
> best floorless out there. If it weren’t for the inaudible
> noise blaring from the speakers, it would be perfect. Once
> again we decided to jump back on. There was hardly a line
> (they were running 3 trains) so we didn’t even bother
> with the FP and went back on, this time taking a front row
> seat. Still great (although the back is better for
> G-forces). It’s always nice to get front rides in from
> time to time for the visuals.
> Bi-zar-ro, Bi-zar-ro, Bi-zar-ro! (that was for you Paul!
> :~)

I love Bizarro. I was trying to set up all kinds of trades with Jen so we could get it at Kings Dominion in exchange for Dominator. Jen, you can have all of Volcano if we can just take the zero-G roll. How about that deal?

> Then we headed across to the Runaway Train, which was only
> running one train (maintenance was working on the other one
> off the main track, which would be back up and running
> later on). The FP came in handy there. It is another
> underrated ride. It really is the best mine train ride out
> there in terms of speed, elements and its location. It has
> also been very well maintained considering it is 36 years
> old and opened with the park in 1974. I often skip it but
> when I do ride it (usually because someone else wants to) I
> always wonder why I don’t ride it more often. Fun little
> mine ride.

Agreed. Runaway Train even has a "mini Magnum Hill" before hitting the water turnaround. How many mine trains can actually boast having "airtime"?

> Now it was time to go to my Green King! I never ride him
> first because after that all the other rides seem so tame
> that I don’t enjoy them as much. They are only running
> one side with 3 trains, similar to the way TTD is run,
> except today they only had one loading station open. I
> thought this was stupid and was going to take forever but
> then we saw the “speed demon ops”, who most certainly
> got the job by winning some sort of “how fast can you get
> people on and off and dispatch a ride” challenge. They
> were CRAZY! I have never seen a KK line move so fast. The
> front row had a long wait (in speed op time not so bad but
> we were not familiar with their abilities when we first saw
> the line). This was Gee’s first ride on KK and she was
> nervous. Paul and I were waiting in the second row and Mike
> and Gee were in the third. They went on one train before us
> and before she could even think about bailing she was
> strapped in and on the launch track. No time for getting
> off – those speed-ops don’t play around. We took the
> next train and I got my awesome launch. Great ride as usual
> – I missed him. We were tight lipped about my affair with
> Griffon because we didn’t want to anger him, potentially
> causing him to cease operation! ;~)

I too was skeptical of the one station operation, but it seemed to work well. Gradv had to modify the brake run by adding extra fins to final hill to slow the trains enough to allow them to stack, but the ops did their best to make sure that didn't happen. As Mike found out later, some may have tried just a little too hard. I'm curious how long they can keep those ops pushing. We used to have "power hours" on Alpengeist when we would put our fastest platform ops on to try to get the highest turnstile numbers possible before rotating the next hour. Once, we almost got the 1600 theoretical and rarely stacked 2 trains the whole hour (it is nearly impossible when running 3 trains). All well and good, but the rest of the time, the slow ops were stacking the trains constantly.

> We then took a break and ate a late lunch then returned for
> Nitro. We sat in the last row (is there any other place to
> sit on Nitro?). Since we have read on here from several
> people that there is no airtime on Nitro we had to test the
> theory. They were right! No airtime whatsoever! I mean my
> butt and legs were off the seat more than on it, there were
> times I was literally floating (wait, what exactly is the
> definition of airtime again?) LOL! It was a great ride –
> she (or he – do you consider Nitro a boy or girl? Name
> sounds boy but colors scream girl) was riding fast and
> smooth. And I don’t care what some say, the airtime is
> ridiculous and the only ride in the park that has more is
> El Toro.

I am 290 lbs and stapled to the seat to pass the lapbar sensor, but the 1st hill after the Hammerhead was literally lifting my butt from the seat while my legs were still pinned. No airtime, my $##!!!

> We then went on Batman TR and again took the obligatory
> last row. We had a great ride. It may be a clone but it is
> still one the better inverts out there. Too short? Yes, but
> it has great G-forces and it has been kept in good
> condition.

I would love to see a "modern" equivalent of Batman from B&M. Taller, faster, longer but maintaining the same intensity. When Alpengeist 1st opened, it was close, (People Magazine wasn't just paying 1st year lip service, the ride was that much better without the trims or block brake.)

No Dark Knight?!?! LOL

> Then we took a spin on Skull Mountain. Gee sat this one out
> – the seats were too low and hurting her previously
> damaged knee. I have really developed a new found
> appreciation for this ride, especially since the Dark
> Knight. They had a glowing “mean” pumpkin with what
> looked to be a skeleton on it (used to have a skeleton that
> you could sometimes see, sometimes not) which was pretty
> cool. It was a good ride but very warm – no air
> conditioning on in the queue or inside where the ride is.

Jen left out that they painted the bottom of the 1st drop in black light. Kinda disappointing as the highlight of the drop in the back was that you couldn't see the bottom. The lack of any cooling in there was very disconcerting. I used to live in Skull Mountain on hot days to escape the sun.

> Then we began to have a discussion about Blackbeard’s
> Lost Treasure. Paul and Mike were shocked when I said I
> have never ridden it because I don’t go on kiddie
> coasters for credits (LOL). They both were trying to
> convince me it was not a kiddie coaster and went pretty
> fast. With a gun to my head I went on with them (Gee sat
> this one out). That was the most pathetic coaster
> experience I’ve been on in a while. It’s a kiddie
> coaster. Just because adults can fit into it doesn’t make
> it an adult coaster IMO! They were saying it felt slower
> than usual and making excuses for it. C’mon guys, just
> admit it’s a kiddie coaster, and move on! ;~)

Any ride with a train longer than the full capacity of most rides is NOT A KIDDIE RIDE!!

> GL was back up and running so we went over and as we were
> climbing the stairs Paul says he wants to ride in a real
> row and is heading for the back. I told him he was crazy!
> Back rows on stand-ups hurt. But he insisted.

What can I say, as a former Drachen Fire ride op who rode the ride over 1600 times, most in the back seat, I like rough rides!! It wasn't that bad, but the G-forces buckled my legs a little after a full day of walking.

I started to
> follow, telling him if I get battered he’s going to pay
> but Mike and Gee weren’t having it and went for the
> front. I abandoned Paul as well and joined them. I liked
> the coaster and didn’t want to hate it on the final ride
> of the day. I’ll try another row another time but for
> today I wanted to enjoy it. We saw that KK was running
> empty trains again while waiting and we wanted to re-ride
> to see if they slowed it down somehow after we got off.
> While we were waiting the attendant on the microphone was
> hysterical saying things like: “Do not sit on the seats
> – this is a stand up roller coaster. If you sit I’ll be
> very upset because that means you don’t understand the
> concept of standing and that’s sad” and “if you
> don’t want to stand go on another roller coaster – this
> one is not for you”. He had so many other lines that were
> good too but I don’t remember them verbatim. He was quite
> entertaining. The second ride was actually a little rougher
> than the first but still good. I have decided that I am
> going to break in to GAdv at night and spray paint that
> yellow loop green – as someone on here already commented
> about it in another post– it looks stupid.

PLEASE fix that loop!! It is soo gaudy amongst all the green and black. (from Kingda Ka as well.) And the ride op on the mic kept trying to convince the floor ops that they needed to "move the trains" but they kept stacking them anyway. I feel his pain as we used to do the same on Alpengeist with no avail. Maybe if Gradv would get 6 on the platform like Cedar Point used to have when Mantis ran 3 trains, they could get them moving.

By the way, does anyone know if Chang's train was only 7 cars? I kept watching ride throughout the day thinking "the trains sure look small going through that ugly yellow loop." Didn't realize they were shorter until I saw they were only numbered up to 7.

> Then we headed to Rolling Thunder. I always ride it once a
> year and after I do I always say never again. It was so bad
> that I don’t know why they still operate it. There are so
> many racing woodies out there, a lot older than RT, but in
> MUCH better shape. It’s like they’ve just left it to
> rot. Very sad. It used to be such a great coaster.

You meant "Rotting Lumber", right?

> It was getting dark now and Paul wanted to ride Medusa
> (yes, Medusa!) at night so we headed there. At first the
> thought of walking over there was daunting – my feet were
> killing me – but it was a great call. I had never ridden
> it at night as Bizarro and with the lights and fire it was
> an awesome ride. We waited for the back row and split up.
> That’s when Mike mentioned to me that when I break in to
> paint the loop on GL green I have to take a sledge hammer
> to the audio on all of the Bizarro trains too. Then, we
> were granted a wish – Mike and I had a train that the
> audio wasn’t working on! It was blissful! (Paul mentioned
> we were on train B if anyone ever wants to avoid that
> horrendous noise).

2nd order of business. If we get Bizarro from you, we're keeping Dominator's trains :)

> We checked KK’s status on the FP and it was still down
> and I screamed “why have you forsaken me?!” and the
> pass vibrates and says KK is now open! I swear, I can’t
> make this stuff up 8-)

> We headed over there and it was down again or perhaps never
> really up and he was just teasing me. Paul went in like a
> detective to try and see if it was due to mechanical or
> computer problems. It appeared to be computer (he can
> explain his theory as to why KK will have computer problems
> with only running one side). He said they would probably
> have to reset it from the maintenance area and then it
> would take at least 30 minutes before they could run it. We
> weren’t waiting so we went onto our night ride on Nitro.
> KK did eventually re-open but we were on the other side
> already.

So here is what I saw. The trains were parked 2 in the station(s) and one in the ready position (not launch). For whatever reason, they did not park it on the actual launch track which meant they probably needed to check something in that area before launching again. One thing I didn't consider is that maybe they wanted to remove a train because the line was not as long when we went back there (the shutdowns had changed that, however). Best case scenario, they reset the computer, they still have to cycle all the trains before loading, so we weren't going to benefit from hanging around.

> We went on Nitro, the last row and wow – what an AWESOME
> ride. The temperature had cooled off a bit but it was still
> hot on the platform area. Once we descended down that first
> hill into the blackness of the woods the air went from city
> hot to country brisk and cool – it was amazing. No
> lights, no bugs, just a great ride. This is something I
> think SFGAdv has over CP – Night rides with no insects
> splattered all over your face and body (I’m still scarred
> from my nighttime insect carnage MF ride). As we returned
> to the station (this was supposed to be our final ride of
> the night) they all start looking at me (I was the holder
> of the FP) and ask what time it is. I said 9:40, they were
> all commenting on how great that ride was and so on (I knew
> what they wanted) so I said OK, fine and I put Nitro in for
> another ride. We had to wait about 6 minutes and when we
> went back on we had a little scuffle for the end seats –
> Mike and Paul had them on the last ride so it was only fair
> that me and Gee have them now. Mike wasn’t having it and
> still wanted an end seat so I ran in first and sat in the
> seat and let him climb over me to put the “free” Gadv
> drink bottles in the holders on the side LOL (we found them
> left at various places throughout the day and kept them for
> future use). He was using the bottles as a ploy to have to
> get that seat since he had to put them on the side, yeah,
> like that would work with me, LOL! It was as awesome as the
> last ride and a perfect end to a fantastic day.

Love me some night rides on Nitro!! I have to give I-305 a chance to redeem itself because Nitro was running so much better that night. It's really hard to place 3 airtime hills over 10!!

> It was one of the best days I’ve had there in a long
> time. I can’t remember the last time I closed the park.
> Did it all the time when I was younger but now I usually
> go, get my rides in and go home. I forgot how pretty the
> park looks at night or how awesome night rides are. It was
> great to see Mike again, to finally meet Paul (who has
> always been one of my favorite posters here and has helped
> me tremendously on trips to other parks) and Gee (even
> though her taste in baseball teams is questionable, it was
> fun trying to throw her hat off rides or burn it at times,
> LOL) and we all got along great and had a lot of fun.
> We’ve decided this will now be a yearly trip for us so
> next year we can plan it earlier so perhaps more of you can
> join us. If you do you’re in for some good times, that I
> can promise!

Jen, you guys were awesome!! I applaud you for being a trooper and staying to the end and trying to have my back on Toro. (Geno's was great, by the way, but I didn't get home until 3:00 AM) Glad I didn't need to go to practice until 8:00 this evening!!

We shouldn't stop at Gradv. Let's get a KD trip and dare I say it... A DORNEYPARK trip, too :)

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/4/11 8:52:50 AM

I agree with nitro being a great coaster but the back does nothing for me.The front on nitro is amazing!!Just the sheer speed and the wind in your face make this an incredible experience!!As far as hyper coasters go,Apollo's Chariot is the one that I think is way better in the back for the major airtime!!Hey...if you guys ever do a Kings Dominion trip...let me know...i am down for that.I-305 is simply amazing!!!!

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by squirrels at 8/4/11 10:50:44 AM

Glad you guys had fun. :) I know GY34 thinks I hate on GAdv, but reading your report, I'm thinking back to how much fun I had there. You hit the rides in the right order, too...we had to double WAY back for Bizarro/Medusa from the Nitro-end of the park and that walk in that heat probably did me in. I need to get back up there on a cool day, especially now that I know what I want to ride.

El Toro is the best wooden roller coaster I've ever been on. I'm normally not much on wooden coasters in general, but this one gives the steels a run for their money. That first drop has a ridiculous angle, doesn't it? I'm actually a little tall for the restraints and when I first sat down, I yanked that b!tch as tight as it would go...and STILL felt like I was gonna fly out in some places. Not too rough either, for a woody. Might have been my favorite at that park.

GL/Chang feels much more complete than Mantis with that extra corkscrew after the first set of brakes. Stand-ups are always better to ride fresh. As for the "yellow loop", I believe it's part of the theme of the ride. Don't they still have Parallax the "yellow fear monster" at the bottom of the loop? :) Or did they remove it?

As for KdK...I think a lot of the reason it (and every other Intamin launch coaster) breaks down a lot, from my Google-fu research, is that sometimes the launch cart will act "buggy" and the dog won't engage the train fully...when that happens, the coaster throws a 'fault' and everything has to be re-inspected. If you're lucky, the line will clear while you're waiting and you'll get to shoot twice. :)

I'm still not sure how I feel about FlashPass...the notion of, "you can jump the line if you pay enough" just doesn't sit right with me for some reason. A handful of people, OK, but they let at least 3 trains worth of people in front of us on that last attempt to ride KdK.

Great pictures BTW. The more I ride coasters, the more I start to appreciate them aesthetically as well as kinesthetically. They really are "art for the thrillseeker".

BTW, how do you embed multiple pics on this site?

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 11:15:49 AM

Normally, I won't ride Supes if there is anything longer
> than a walk-on, but Jen was anxious to show off her Flash
> pass "toy" to us newbies (none of the rest of us
> have ever used one before). It was ironic that it backfired
> on a ride that she had no intention of riding, lol!!

I know! I hate that stupid ride!

> I haven't rode El Toro for 2 years. The ops are usually so
> occupied with trying to get the trains out, they will only
> push half-heartedly one or two times and kick me off. This
> time, I got an op who realized that the bar was almost
> closed and the two worked TOGETHER to get the extra nudge
> to get the sensor to clear. As Jen pointed out, it was not
> to be later that evening. I hate it when ops change shifts

Next year you jump into the seat before I buckle in and I'll push it down! Once I was stapled in I had no leverage...

> I love Bizarro. I was trying to set up all kinds of trades
> with Jen so we could get it at Kings Dominion in exchange
> for Dominator. Jen, you can have all of Volcano if we can
> just take the zero-G roll. How about that deal?

Hmmm. I'll have to think about that one. I did love Volcano!

> No Dark Knight?!?! LOL

Oops. my bad. We walked past the DK several times, feeling very sad for the people who were losing at least 30-45 minutes of their life that they will never get back.
There - that's our DK interaction! ;~)

> Jen left out that they painted the bottom of the 1st drop
> in black light. Kinda disappointing as the highlight of the
> drop in the back was that you couldn't see the bottom. The
> lack of any cooling in there was very disconcerting. I used
> to live in Skull Mountain on hot days to escape the sun.

I didn't notice it because I left my sunglasses on to enhance the darkness - must of worked!

> Then we began to have a discussion about Blackbeard’s
> Lost Treasure. Paul and Mike were shocked when I said I
> have never ridden it because I don’t go on kiddie
> coasters for credits (LOL). They both were trying to
> convince me it was not a kiddie coaster and went pretty
> fast. With a gun to my head I went on with them (Gee sat
> this one out). That was the most pathetic coaster
> experience I’ve been on in a while. It’s a kiddie
> coaster. Just because adults can fit into it doesn’t make
> it an adult coaster IMO! They were saying it felt slower
> than usual and making excuses for it. C’mon guys, just
> admit it’s a kiddie coaster, and move on! ;~)

> Any ride with a train longer than the full capacity of most
> rides is NOT A KIDDIE RIDE!!

It's a KIDDIE RIDE!!!!!!! The only reason adults can fit is so they can ride with their kids!

> You meant "Rotting Lumber", right?

Same difference, unfortunately!

> 2nd order of business. If we get Bizarro from you, we're
> keeping Dominator's trains :)

Hell no! #1 I'm only potentially agreeing to the zero G roll for Volcano and if in our hypothetical world the rides were swamped I'm not getting a lower quality coaster AND blaring inaudible noise!

(Geno's was great, by the way, but I didn't get
> home until 3:00 AM)

I would have died - I did hit bumper to bumper traffic after dropping off Mike - they had the truck lanes closed on the NJTPKE so I didn't get in until 12:45 am and I was SO tired.

> We shouldn't stop at Gradv. Let's get a KD trip and dare I
> say it... A DORNEYPARK trip, too :)

Please tell me you didn't say Dorney! You know that park is dead to me! How about Hershey instead? Then as I drive past DP I can give it an obscene gesture and carry on :~)

I really want to do KD again next year (along with BGE - I need me some more Griffon!) so that is definitely a possibility!

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 8/4/11 11:29:24 AM

> First, great job summing up the day, Jen. You deserve a
> Pulitzer for your journalistic work!!

> I'm snipping things that I don't specifically comment on.

> The first ride for us was Green Lantern, since I haven’t
> ridden it yet. Since it’s a stand-up we took a front row
> for comfort (about a 10 minute wait – they were running 3
> trains as efficiently as they could with a stand-up) and I
> have to say I really enjoyed it.

> By the way, does anyone know if Chang's train was only 7
> cars? I kept watching ride throughout the day thinking
> "the trains sure look small going through that ugly
> yellow loop." Didn't realize they were shorter until I
> saw they were only numbered up to 7.

Yes, Chang had two seven car trains at KK. ( I had a temporary job in Louisville in July '97 so I saw a lot of that park. The infamous T2 also had seven car trains.) I wonder where the third train came from, Cedar Point? The paint job for the Mantis trains was similar to that for Chang's pair of trains. I should go take a look to see if that shrink-wrapped 3rd train of Mantis is still there.

Roz

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 11:50:54 AM

> I agree with nitro being a great coaster but the back does
> nothing for me.The front on nitro is amazing!!Just the
> sheer speed and the wind in your face make this an
> incredible experience!!As far as hyper coasters go,Apollo's
> Chariot is the one that I think is way better in the back
> for the major airtime!!Hey...if you guys ever do a Kings
> Dominion trip...let me know...i am down for that.I-305 is
> simply amazing!!!!

Really? AC over Nitro? To each his own but I thought AC didn't have the airtime Nitro does. I did enjoy it, just like Nitro better.

If we plan a KD trip we'll let you know - won't be until next year though - already went this year and funds are getting pretty low now...

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 12:10:41 PM

> Glad you guys had fun. :) I know GY34 thinks I hate on
> GAdv, but reading your report, I'm thinking back to how
> much fun I had there.

I only thought that b/c you had a string of posts where you hyped CP (and don't get me wrong, I love CP too) but only had negative things to say about SFGAdv. The first positive thing you wrote about it was after I had a mini tantrum when I couldn't take it anymore. :-)

You hit the rides in the right order,
> too...

That's the way I always do the park for whatever reason. Funny b/c years ago it was the opposite when Batman the Chiller and Free Fall were still there (before ET and KK), I'd start on the other side.

> GL/Chang feels much more complete than Mantis with that
> extra corkscrew after the first set of brakes. Stand-ups
> are always better to ride fresh. As for the "yellow
> loop", I believe it's part of the theme of the ride.
> Don't they still have Parallax the "yellow fear
> monster" at the bottom of the loop? :) Or did they
> remove it?

It's still there with mist spraying out of it. The yellow loop just looks so out of place, I don't care what the reason was for putting it there - it needs to go. Like we were saying when we were there, since the movie tanked it will probably be re-themed in a year and advertised as the new ride again anyway...

> I'm still not sure how I feel about FlashPass...the notion
> of, "you can jump the line if you pay enough"
> just doesn't sit right with me for some reason. A handful
> of people, OK, but they let at least 3 trains worth of
> people in front of us on that last attempt to ride KdK.

You really merge with the crowd, just closer to the platform and it's usually not that many people b/c everyone is so spread out. I won't go without one - I'm SO FP spoiled.

> BTW, how do you embed multiple pics on this site?

you have to have your pics on a site like Flickr and then right click on the picture and copy image location. Then just put in img in brackets (it won't let me actually do it - doesn't show up - must think I'm trying to add a pic) paste the location address then backslash img in brackets (make sure it's brackets and not parentheses or it won't work) after the address and you can add as many as you want.

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/4/11 1:05:22 PM

Couple of additional thoughts:

I ran into Matt, a ride supervisor I "know" while coming off GL and again later after first ride on KK. At the latter encounter, he told KK hadn't had any issues that day. I guess Matt's last name is NOT Nostradamus.

As far as my very minor head injury goes: "Overzealous" is the correct word to describe the attendant, whose name is not sticking. I'm certainly not used to having the attendant pull it down..I always do it myself. She pulled it down quickly without warning, and I didn't have the half-second I needed to get my head positioned properly. The metal bottom of the restraint struck the top of my head. As most of you know, I have nothing there to blunt the impact (nothing inside either, but that's another fish of kettles:)) She was all apologies (props to Cobain) and the initial pain passed very quickly, so I was ready to ride. That was the insane launch Jen described above. I felt like my nose was being ripped off my face, and I worried for my glasses. Made me temporarily forget the pain on my head. Get back to the station, touch my head with the left hand, hand comes back with some blood on it. So I got some ice, cleaned up in the bathroom (no mirrors to check the damage, and no paper towels, of course. Jen had some Neosporin and sprayed me. I'm fine, just a little scrape. My legs and feet hurt a lot more yesterday.

Speaking of that, I did a lot more walking than normal. Usually I'll stay at Toro or Nitro for a stretch, but Tuesday we simply moved...a lot. I give Gee and Jen props, as they respectively were nursing knee and ankle injuries.

It was not my worst ride ever on Toro, may not have even been my worst this season (front seat, Laura? :)..you still don't know what you're missing.) But it was the worst of the day. I was in the last row of the next to last car..not near the middle as Jen thought. Does that location lend itself to a rough ride? Also I was stapled even more uncomfortably than usual, even though I've lost several pounds, so that may have contributed.

Those two NIGHT-ro rides were mind-blowingly great. Jen had the idea for the four of us to make a "smiley face" with "Jazz hands" framing it for the on-ride photo. Well, three outta four ain't bad, right, Paul?

For the first time ever, I met someone I knew at GAdv unexpectedly. A co-worker. He was there with his girlfriend, whose daughter was going to the Never Shout Never concert that night..a concert which, incidentally, had no impact on our day.

I had a blast. I've gone to parks with Jen, Paul, and Gee individually and had a good time. What's it they say?..Triple your pleasure, triple your fun? It was a helluva lotta fun.

I've gone to GAdv 6X this season, but only half of those by myself. Good rides, good people, good times..and one missed rollback!

Paul, you didn't seriously suggest Dorney for next year when Jen will be involved......did you?

Mike

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 1:47:49 PM

> Couple of additional thoughts:

That was the insane launch Jen
> described above. I felt like my nose was being ripped off
> my face, and I worried for my glasses. Made me temporarily
> forget the pain on my head.

I still want to know how fast that was going - had to be at least 10 mph faster for all of us to feel the difference that intensely.

I'm fine,
> just a little scrape. My legs and feet hurt a lot more
> yesterday.

Every muscle in my body was KILLING me yesterday - I soaked in a hot tub for an hour and was still hurting.

> Tuesday we simply moved...a lot. I give Gee and Jen props,
> as they respectively were nursing knee and ankle injuries.

My ankle actually held up pretty well, nothing even close to the pain and swelling I had in VA. Had a little discomfort here and there but it was tolerable. Gee had it much worse than I did.

> It was not my worst ride ever on Toro, may not have even
> been my worst this season (front seat, Laura? :)..you still
> don't know what you're missing.) But it was the worst of
> the day. I was in the last row of the next to last car..not
> near the middle as Jen thought. Does that location lend
> itself to a rough ride? Also I was stapled even more
> uncomfortably than usual, even though I've lost several
> pounds, so that may have contributed.

Sorry to have misquoted you - I thought you said worst ride ever. Funny how you were stapled in and they barely pushed on Paul's lap bar. I never wanted to back-hand (wanted to say b____ slap but that's probably inappropriate here lol) a ride op across the face so badly as I did on that ride.

> Those two NIGHT-ro rides were mind-blowingly great. Jen had
> the idea for the four of us to make a "smiley
> face" with "Jazz hands" framing it for the
> on-ride photo. Well, three outta four ain't bad, right,
> Paul?

I forgot about the "Jazz Hands!" Paul!!! You and I had it down great, Gee was off but at least she tried (unlike some people - Paul!) I would've bought the picture if it came out good. Next year I'm going to make him practice on every ride before we get to Nitro LOL!

> I had a blast. I've gone to parks with Jen, Paul, and Gee
> individually and had a good time. What's it they
> say?..Triple your pleasure, triple your fun? It was a
> helluva lotta fun.

It was!

> Paul, you didn't seriously suggest Dorney for next year
> when Jen will be involved......did you?

I know! The nerve of some people... :~)

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 8/4/11 3:16:33 PM

Great report Jen :)

Sounds like you had a good time on Chang Lantern.

"Chang's only guest illness at SFGAm"

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/4/11 3:50:39 PM

> "Chang's only guest illness at SFGAm"

OK, I'm deaf to begin with, but....

WHAT??!!

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/4/11 4:40:07 PM

"What can I say, as a former Drachen Fire ride op who rode the ride over 1600 times, most in the back seat, I like rough rides!!

i wish you had said that to me while we were there. Hell, maybe you did, and I didn't hear it! Anyway, I could have steered you toward the t-shirt GAdv sells that reads: "I LIKE IT ROUGH."

Ironically enough, it's an El Toro shirt.

Mike

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/4/11 6:37:53 PM

> simply amazing!!!!

> Really? AC over Nitro? To each his own but I thought AC
> didn't have the airtime Nitro does. I did enjoy it, just
> like Nitro better.

> If we plan a KD trip we'll let you know - won't be until
> next year though - already went this year and funds are
> getting pretty low now...

> Jen

Hey Jen....I only meant that AC was better than Nitro for a back seat ride.Nitro is still the better coaster indeed!!

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 8/4/11 7:03:07 PM

> OK, I'm deaf to begin with, but....

> WHAT??!!

It's an inside joke between my friends over at the sfgamworld.com fourms.

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by alpengeistno3 at 8/4/11 7:48:21 PM

> By the way, does anyone know if Chang's train was only 7
> cars? I kept watching ride throughout the day thinking
> "the trains sure look small going through that ugly
> yellow loop." Didn't realize they were shorter until I
> saw they were only numbered up to 7.

> Yes, Chang had two seven car trains at KK. ( I had a
> temporary job in Louisville in July '97 so I saw a lot of
> that park. The infamous T2 also had seven car trains.) I
> wonder where the third train came from, Cedar Point? The
> paint job for the Mantis trains was similar to that for
> Chang's pair of trains. I should go take a look to see if
> that shrink-wrapped 3rd train of Mantis is still there.

> Roz

I remember T2 having seven car trains being odd. I actually thought it made the ride a little speedier than SFA's Mind Eraser.

When I went, there was only 1 train on site for Chang (late July), so I was surprised Gradv had 2, let alone 3. It would be interesting to hear where they got the other train from (and if it rides differently from the original 2.)

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by alpengeistno3 at 8/4/11 8:02:14 PM

> simply amazing!!!!

> Really? AC over Nitro? To each his own but I thought AC
> didn't have the airtime Nitro does. I did enjoy it, just
> like Nitro better.

> If we plan a KD trip we'll let you know - won't be until
> next year though - already went this year and funds are
> getting pretty low now...

> Jen

I think Apollo has a lot of "dead" drops (#2 going into the shed, #4 coming out of the turnaround, and #7 ducking under the lift) whereas on Nitro, every drop will lift you up. Apollo does have nice variety with several larger drops coming later in the ride, but there just is no contest for me.

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by alpengeistno3 at 8/4/11 8:08:17 PM

> I know! The nerve of some people... :~)

> Jen
>

It was only a suggestion. Mike and I have seperately had no problem with Dorney. Maybe our collective "good luck" could rub off on you :)

Paul

PS
As for "Jazz Hands" to quote "In Living Color"...HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT!! :)

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by alpengeistno3 at 8/4/11 8:09:54 PM

Anyway, I could have
> steered you toward the t-shirt GAdv sells that reads:
> "I LIKE IT ROUGH."

> Ironically enough, it's an El Toro shirt.

> Mike
>

I remember that shirt. We agreed it should have been a Rolling Thunder shirt instead.

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/4/11 8:12:30 PM

Are there ones that says 'you need ear muffs to drown out the horrid screeching sounds'. To me RT isn't that rough, but the screeching is enough to hurt my ear drums.

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 11:40:18 PM

> Are there ones that says 'you need ear muffs to drown out
> the horrid screeching sounds'. To me RT isn't that rough,
> but the screeching is enough to hurt my ear drums.

When was the last time you rode it? It's gotten pretty bad - gets worse every year. And I agree that ear plugs wouldn't hurt either. Just tear it down already. I never thought I'd say that but it's actually worse to see it rot away than if it were just gone.

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 11:41:19 PM

I don't get it either..... Please explain!

Jen

*edit: Oops - missed the explanation above but you should let us in on it - you brought it up! ;~)

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/4/11 11:49:02 PM

> I know! The nerve of some people... :~)

> Jen
> > It was only a suggestion. Mike and I have seperately
> had no problem with Dorney. Maybe our collective "good
> luck" could rub off on you :)

What's wrong with Hershey? Isn't that park actually closer to you? AND it's not dead to me! Believe me I'd love to ride Free Fall again, which was the main reason I went in the first place, not that is was working , or anything else in the park for that matter (I know, it's Demon Drop there - same thing to me). After the hell I went through there I swore I would never step foot in that place again unless it was on a free pass with free parking and a free ride there and back so if Mike picks me up (which would be SO out of the way) and you all foot the bill, I'll think about it! (LOL)

> Paul

> PS
> As for "Jazz Hands" to quote "In Living
> Color"...HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT!! :)

LMAO! I LOVED that show!

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/5/11 12:03:02 AM

> Hey Jen....I only meant that AC was better than Nitro for a
> back seat ride.Nitro is still the better coaster indeed!!
>

OK, at least you've semi-redeemed yourself! :~)

Still disagree about the back seat. I rode a back row and a front row on AC when I went and the back was naturally better but not as good as Nitro for airtime IMO. Maybe we have to get you on her again...

Now I do agree that the difference between the front row and back row on AC are vastly different and there is much more airtime in the back, while on Nitro you still get decent airtime in the front as well. Maybe that makes it seem more than it is on AC? Or maybe I'm just partial to Nitro since she was my first B&M Hyper and she lives at my home park ;~)

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/5/11 12:39:39 AM

> Hey Jen....I only meant that AC was better than Nitro for a
> back seat ride.Nitro is still the better coaster indeed!!
> > OK, at least you've semi-redeemed yourself! :~)

> Still disagree about the back seat. I rode a back row and a
> front row on AC when I went and the back was naturally
> better but not as good as Nitro for airtime IMO. Maybe we
> have to get you on her again...

> Now I do agree that the difference between the front row
> and back row on AC are vastly different and there is much
> more airtime in the back, while on Nitro you still get
> decent airtime in the front as well. Maybe that makes it
> seem more than it is on AC? Or maybe I'm just partial to
> Nitro since she was my first B&M Hyper and she lives at my
> home park ;~)

> Jen

So now back to Nitro front or back.The front to me seems like twice the ride that the back gives.Especially at night with all that speed and the wind in your face.The back just does not do much for me.Oh well....we agree to disagree,lol.I am only 90 minutes away from Great Adventure and 45 from Dorney in case you were wondering....Dion

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 8/5/11 12:47:49 AM

> Are there ones that says 'you need ear muffs to drown out
> the horrid screeching sounds'. To me RT isn't that rough,
> but the screeching is enough to hurt my ear drums.

> When was the last time you rode it? It's gotten pretty bad
> - gets worse every year. And I agree that ear plugs
> wouldn't hurt either. Just tear it down already. I never
> thought I'd say that but it's actually worse to see it rot
> away than if it were just gone.

> Jen

2008, screeched like a banshee. I agree that it should just be put out of its misery. I'm sure they can put up a few flat rides on it's location.

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by alpengeistno3 at 8/5/11 2:25:31 AM

> What's wrong with Hershey? Isn't that park actually closer
> to you? AND it's not dead to me! Believe me I'd love to
> ride Free Fall again, which was the main reason I went in
> the first place, not that is was working , or anything else
> in the park for that matter (I know, it's Demon Drop there
> - same thing to me). After the hell I went through there I
> swore I would never step foot in that place again unless it
> was on a free pass with free parking and a free ride there
> and back so if Mike picks me up (which would be SO out of
> the way) and you all foot the bill, I'll think about it!
> (LOL)

Nothing wrong with Hershey at all (especially since they are getting a FAR better 2012 addition than Dorney!) Hershey is closer, but Dorney is "free" with my KD pass, so I guess I have everything you're looking for. If only Cedar Fair gave out coupon books...

> Paul

> PS
> As for "Jazz Hands" to quote "In Living
> Color"...HOMEY DON'T PLAY THAT!! :)

> LMAO! I LOVED that show!

If you guys try to make me do them, I'm taking off my sock :)

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/5/11 8:40:28 AM

> WHAT??!!

> It's an inside joke between my friends over at the
> sfgamworld.com fourms.

Then maybe you should have posted it there.

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 8/5/11 11:16:41 AM

> WHAT??!!

> It's an inside joke between my friends over at the
> sfgamworld.com fourms.

> Then maybe you should have posted it there.

Ok lets pretend I never said that!

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/5/11 4:27:49 PM

This was an awesome TR!!

and I agree with everyone else, why don't we make it a URC trip event?!

I am down to go ANYWHERE.

So if KD got picked I would be stoked! or Dorney or Hershey?
Hershey just got the Hyper announced so that is a possibility!

Just when the time comes, someone make a seperate thread for it as I am terrible at keeping up with what's going on on this forum lol.

- mugen

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/5/11 6:15:30 PM

Really nice TR, Jen, I always love these "photo-journal" reports.

Nice to see that photo of the four of you, too. You know, putting faces with names, etc.
I have met Mike somewhere a long time ago, at a HWN, maybe it was.

And I'm with Gee re the Red Sox, of course, I've lived all my life in MA.

Mike B.

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/8/11 9:06:15 AM

>> I have met Mike somewhere a long time ago, at a HWN, maybe
> it was.

PPP...'06 or '07

> And I'm with Gee re the Red Sox, of course, I've lived all
> my life in MA.

Two outta three this weekend baby! My Mets, different, sadder story. But I've been a Sox fan going back to the Fisk/Evans/Rice days.

Mike G

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by DarkwingDuck DarkwingDuck Profile at 8/19/11 7:08:56 PM

Present!!! Been MIA and hopefully late is better than never.. will add some candid shots of our trip last August 2nd!!! Jen and her Churros... Paulie and some corn with no fries!!! Really had a blast meeting the rest of the Telletubies LOL!!! One Photo OP I forgot to take was to take a picture of myself with Jen's spare tire ;p!!!

Reason for being MIA was I just finally came back to life... died for a few days after finishing Cedar Point and Hershey park!!! Oh Boy Maverick did a number on me!! Bruised!!! Black and Blue!!! And Sorry Superman Ride of Steel... I have to give up on him... feel inlove with Millenium Force! The only coaster that got my knucles clammy!!! And Jen... I still love KK over Dragster! Maybe bec. I got to say the F word on that first run with KK hahahahaha !!! Well enough of this will do a proper trip report as soon as my body stop turning when the neck turns!!

Yes!! let's do it again if not soon then next season!!! Saving my pennies for that flash pass!!!

> Really nice TR, Jen, I always love these
> "photo-journal" reports.

> Nice to see that photo of the four of you, too. You know,
> putting faces with names, etc.
> I have met Mike somewhere a long time ago, at a HWN, maybe
> it was.

> And I'm with Gee re the Red Sox, of course, I've lived all
> my life in MA.

> Mike B.

highfive on that Mike B!!! maybe we'll cross path someday!

PS

Am ready for Abu Dhabi!!!

Re: SF Great Adventure TR with the Fab 4! (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/19/11 8:20:02 PM

> Present!!! Been MIA and hopefully late is better than
> never.. will add some candid shots of our trip last August
> 2nd!!!

Glad you're back - I was starting to worry about you!

>Jen and her Churros...

NOOO! Don't ever say the "C" word when I can't have one! It's torture! For those who care, the story goes:
I always get a Churro when I get to the park. I LOVE them. When we got there the stand that normally sells them didn't have them. Then we go to GL and no Churros in sight. I was starving by now (I always eat a light breakfast in anticipation of my Churro). Then we finally see them over by ET but everyone wants to ride first. So I put my fanny pack in a locker and locked the Flash Pass in it to (oops - gonna need that) so I open the locker to get the FP and pay another buck. We go on ET 2x and when I went to get the locker ticket out of my pocket it was gone. So we had to wait for a locker attendant to get there to open it. At that point I was going to kill for a Churro (my money was in the locker) so Gee advanced me $5 and I got my delicious pastry! LOL! Then when we went to Nitro (MUCH later) the locker ticket just appears on the stairs behind me - Paul picked it up. I have no idea where it came from - I know I put it in my back pocket and it was empty when I checked - There were forces at large trying to prevent me from having my delicious Mexican pastry! Very strange....

Paulie and some corn with no
> fries!!! Really had a blast meeting the rest of the
> Telletubies LOL!!! One Photo OP I forgot to take was to
> take a picture of myself with Jen's spare tire ;p!!!

I thought you took that pic before we went in. (I have a Yankees tire cover on my car for those who have no idea what she's talking about LOL)

And Jen... I still love KK over Dragster! Maybe
> bec. I got to say the F word on that first run with KK
> hahahahaha !!!

That's my girl! :~)

Jen