Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Lengthy)

Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Lengthy)

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
8/1/11 at
12:49:20 AM

This may be one of my longer ones, so bare with me. There is just too much to discuss with these two parks. Proceed with caution.

Well, I’m back from my Indiana excursion, now with 245 roller coasters to my name, 5 short of my 2011 goal of 250. It was an awesome trip. Two great roller coaster parks, with six new-to-me wooden roller coasters – 9 new coasters overall and a bunch of fun rides.

Schedule/Trip Plan

I owe much of my coaster riding in recent years to my wife and her family. Without visiting them or doing these yearly vacations, I would never have gotten to parks like SFGAm, SFStL, the Dells, Michigan’s Adventure, or these Indiana parks.

My in-laws now live in Chicago, and for vacation this year, we drove the short-distance to Indiana Beach. We drove down on Monday and explored the park. Tuesday morning, I woke up early with my brother-in-law and took a day-trip to Holiday World – more on that later. Wednesday was spent in Indiana Beach, both the water area and the rides. Thursday was spent boating on Lake Shafer, and we capped off the day at the park. A rainy Friday was check-out and drive back to Chicago, and that was the first drop of rain I saw all week.

I didn’t spend as much time in Indiana Beach, the park, as I wanted to. Nor did I ride as much as I wanted to. It’s simply a function of spending time with the family, and not going off on my own. It’s hard to really experience a park the way I like to when I’m in a large group of people, especially when that group of people is my in-laws. I love my in-laws, and I married into a great family. But they just aren’t park people.

Accommodations

We spent four nights there, staying in the brand new Ideal Cottages, within a very short walking distance from the park. Looking back on the whole trip, I already remember it fondly – part of which is due to staying so close to the park.

From an accommodations standpoint, the cottages are ‘cozy’, which is a nice word for small. They sleep 8, but most comfortably sleeps 6-7. Ours was about 10 steps from Lake Shafer. They are nice on the inside. There is a flat panel TV/DVD combo in the living area, a flat panel TV in the bedroom, 1.5 baths, bunk beds, a loft (more like a crawl space) that sleeps two, a pull-out couch, a kitchen area, and a nice screened-in porch. You can really crank the A/C too, so I was never uncomfortable. The only downside was that the shower was off the main bedroom, which is inconvenient to everyone else. All told, I would recommend them for anyone staying at Indiana Beach, especially when compared to the other ‘seedy’ accommodations around the park.

I considered buying a season pass for $60 dollars, which still seems like a great deal to me. But, the park took care of us, due to a mix up on their part. They give you 8 passes to the park for staying in the cottages (4 per cottage - we had two), but because of the mix up, they gave us unlimited access to the beach and water park, and 16 all-day ride passes. That was more than enough for our group – no need for a season pass.

Food

Staying in the cottages, you can prepare all of your own meals. I didn’t though. I wanted park food. I’m disappointed that I didn’t get to try the tacos at IB. When I saw that they were featured on the Food Network, I had to try them. I tried to hit up the stand on Friday morning around 10am before leaving. They weren’t open until 11:00. We just couldn't wait – had to hit the road. They’re on my To-Do list when I get back there.

I want to recommend a restaurant to anyone who reads this. The Sportsman Inn down off of Rt. 421, right on Lake Freeman. We had a group of 11 and they handled us like champs. The service was spectacular. The view of the lake was nice. The portions were huge. The price was reasonable. The food (I had coconut shrimp, veggies, and a loaded baked potato) was delicious. Do yourselves a favor and go the next time you’re in Monticello.

Food loose ends: The burger and shake joint back at IB was decent, with pretty good fries. The hot dog joint right outside was ok at best. I hit them up just before closing, so I don’t know if I got their best effort. I had a Spanish (chili) Dog, and a bacon-cheese dog. They both were a little cold. I had a lemon shake up, which is just a fresh-squeezed lemonade. It comes in a refillable cup. It’s too sweet and not enough lemon for me. All told, the food was ok at Indiana Beach.

Down at Holiday World, we did eat at Plymouth Rock Café. Great food, and great value. $8.99 for a meat and two sides. Free drinks, of course. I had to splurge and get the chocolate pudding with whipped cream and a gummy worm on top. Delicious.

The Parks

Clearly, Holiday World is the superior park, and it’s not even close. It’s one of the nicest parks I’ve been to. But, Indiana Beach is up first.

I really liked the park. I just hated the operations. This park has so much potential. It has a gorgeous setting along Lake Shafer, and it’s really pretty at night. It has some great wooden roller coasters, and three fun steel ones. They have a good collection of flats, some of which are sitting right on the lake. The park has an old-school feel to it.

The place just needs some work, some TLC. There is a lot that I liked about it, but there was just so much that I didn’t understand. In fact, I can find something that I just didn’t get about everything I liked…

- Double Shot -- Very fun, and very effective. I love that it’s right on the water, and my ride was facing east toward the lake, which was great. I just don’t get its location. It’s totally on its own, isolated from the rest of the amusement park. There is nothing near it, except for some water slides and the swimming area. Weird.

- The carp – Incredible. I’ve never seen so many fish is such a small footprint. They just climb all over themselves to eat whatever people throw down to them. How does something like that begin? What was amazing about it was that on the morning I went to the park early, nobody was there to feed them. I simply walked over, and upon simply seeing me approach, a whole slew of them came to the surface and started opening their mouths.

- The filtered water beach – It’s a neat idea, but I wasn’t a fan. The water is only 2-3 feet deep, so you can’t really swim. The sand is horrible too. It just wasn’t very practical.

- I did enjoy the endless river. I took a couple of laps with my 1 year-old. That water was warm and chlorinated.

- Frankenstein’s Castle – We did this on night #1. It was one of the highlights of the park for me. I love the pitch-black corridors that I had to feel my way through. Nothing ever really jumps out at you, but there are some fun gags throughout, including an “elevator” to start your journey. There was a great gag about ¾ the way through – one that I had never seen before and effectively scared the crap out of me. I tried to take the Mrs. No go.

- The flume has a great drop, but otherwise is a little boring. You just meander on the ground before you hit the lift. No gags, two gross tunnels (full of gum), and a bunch of weeds and spiders.

- I missed out on the Paratrooper, the ferris wheel, and the flyers, much to my dismay. There just wasn’t an opportunity. Oh well, more of a reason to return, I suppose.

- I understand that the Wild Hawg area is “under development”, but it’s just not very appealing at all. The area consists of the coaster, the swings, a Himalaya-type ride, and a half-assembled falling star. Hopefully, they can get the area together sooner than later. It’s a bit of a bland eyesore.

The operations, especially on the coasters, were mind-numbingly bad. The operators take their sweet-old time loading and dispatching the trains. The procedure to check seatbelts and lap bars is idiotic, as they do the two separately. I could go into further detail about the lunacy of the operators, but I would be typing forever – longer than I am already. Cornball and Hoosier were dispatching trains about every 8-10 minutes. It was disgusting.

The number of trains or cars on the tracks is bad all around. Tig’rr, Galaxi, and Steel Hawg all only ran two cars, which made for painfully long waits for the Hawg. Hoosier Hurricane has two trains, but only one was in use the entire week. Cornball only has one train. That would be sufficient for both coasters if the operators got the lead out.

Lost Coaster was the most egregious committers of IVS (Insufficient Vehicles Syndrome). I didn’t even see a second train (8 seater). That line is terrible. I made a point to ride it immediately upon the park’s opening at 11am. I’m glad I did it that way, because the queue was almost full the entire time.

What made operations worse on the wooden coasters was that they had seats unavailable on both rides. What really upset me was that the entire first car of Cornball was closed all week. All week? Was there no one there to repair it? No parts in stock? In actuality, the first and fourth car were closed all week. Most parks would have that fixed the next day. With only one train to work with, it’s just plain unacceptable.

Hoosier shut down its front seat for the final two days of my stay. The whole ride was closed for the remainder of the evening on Thursday, for whatever reason. It had been open all day. I’m ashamed to say that I only got one ride on it all week. It was definitely not my fault though. That alone left a sour taste in my mouth.

I hate when parks close the lines earlier than the park. It was rampant here. Lost Coaster closed its line about 30 minutes early. So, we passed on it and walked over to Hoosier. Its line was also closed, with about 15 minutes to spare. I was not a happy camper, so I walked back to the cottage.

Indiana Beach has some really good rides, and it has a very fun and very unique atmosphere. It’s just a shame that their employees, and I will include maintenance and management, don’t seem to care enough about the guest experience for the place to be truly enjoyable.

Holiday World

Wow. It’s like night and day, comparing these two parks. We left Indiana Beach at 7am eastern time and got to the park just after 10am central time. The parking lot was quickly filling up, and I was nervous that I wouldn’t be able to do everything I wanted to do.

The park is immaculate, and clearly deserving of the ‘Cleanest Park’ award. I’ve never seen 'remnants' of chewing gum on the walls and paths. But yes, Holiday World takes the time to even clean the littered gum.

The paths are wide. The landscaping and hardscaping is gorgeous. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. Can I pose a few questions? The answer to each of them is “Holiday World does.” Let’s begin…

How many parks offer free soda, water, and Gatorade, particularly useful on such a hot day?

How many parks offer free sunscreen?

How many parks offer free lockers?

How many parks have ride attendants that are happy to take your loose articles for you as you load?

What an enjoyable experience Holiday World was. It was terribly hot, but I didn’t even notice. Splashin’ Safari looks to be an incredible waterpark. I didn’t spend any time there, because I didn’t have the time. The waterpark was packed solid with people too. My one regret of my day there was that I didn’t ride Wildebeest. It had a 1 ½ hour wait, and I just couldn’t justify it.

I wanted to take the advice here and ride the coasters in the order of Raven, Legend, and Voyage. But Raven had a huge line as we entered the park, and I just knew Voyage was empty. So we headed to the back of the park and worked forward. I was right. We got right on the Voyage. It really didn’t affect my opinion of the others by riding it first.

Coasters come later. As far as other rides I did at Holiday World…

- The flume was similar to Indiana Beach’s. It was a little slow and unexciting. At least here you have a great view of the Legend. I did get nailed with a wave of water before we climbed the lift.

- Pilgrim’s Plunge was really fun. The approach to the lift is fun – a bit rough and tumble. The lift, I never realized before, is simply Intamin coaster track. Going up the lift is freaky, especially when you tilt to the left about 100 feet up. The drop is fantastic, and the splash-down is great. Very fun ride, and the line was practically empty.

- Liberty Launch was a lot of fun. I was under the impression it was a Space Shot. But it felt like a Double Shot. Is it?

Crowds at the park were pretty light as the day went on. The longest we waited for Voyage was 15 minutes. By mid-afternoon it only had a station-wait. Raven was empty when we returned to it later on. Legend had a 45 minute wait the first time we rode it. When we returned for a second ride, less than two hours later, the station was empty. It was the weirdest thing. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

We left the park at 3pm central, and got back to Indiana Beach at 8pm eastern. It’s a 4 hour trip via Rt 64 and Rt 65.

I’m so glad we went. I’ve finally been to Holiday World. I loved it, and only wish I could have spent more time there. I raved about it to my wife. Maybe when the girls are older we can all come back as a family. I’d love to spend two days at the park, at a less busy time of the year. I want to check out Splashin’ Safari when it’s not jammed packed.

For the coasters, we rode the very front on all three rides first, in the order of Voyage, Legend, and Raven. Then we did the back in the order of Raven, Voyage, and Legend, with an extra Voyage ride thrown in for good measure. Had we had more time, I would have ridden each several times over. But we didn’t have the time. It’s ok. I was satisfied with my day.

The Coasters

I’ve adjusted my top 10 on my URC profile to reflect my visit to Holiday World. I did my best to place them. I find it hard to compare coasters from park to park, especially when I think they are pretty close in comparison. I can, however, effectively rank rides at a particular park, or parks if I visit them close together.

There was no ride on this entire trip that I did not like. I don’t like ranking one the lowest, but I guess there has to be one.

9) Galaxi, Indiana Beach, 1 ride

A standard small steel Galaxi coaster. It was a lot of fun, and I have soft spots for these types of rides.

8) Tig’rr, Indiana Beach, 2 rides

A good old Schwarzkopf jet star. This is an identical ride to the Jet Star at Morey’s Piers that I loved so much growing up. I was sad to see it go, but was thrilled to see the identical ride still in existence. It was great to ride it again – like being reacquainted with an old friend.

7) Steel Hawg, Indiana Beach, 3 rides

This thing is a blast. It’s just a shame they only run two cars on it. The first drop is just awesome, though the brakes take a little something away from it. The entire time you really feel that you’re going to fly off the tracks. The outside banking turn is a trip in itself, and the inversions are smooth and fun. The restraints are a tad uncomfortable, but they’re manageable. I’d love to see more of these pop up at other small parks. Coney Island, Playland, and Morey’s Piers come to mind.

6) Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain, Indiana Beach, 1 ride

This ride was a lot of fun too. It’s just a shame that it only runs one train. The elevator lift is unique. The track is very hilly and twisty. I rode in the back seat and there are so many yanks downward accompanied with some nice pops of air. I could have ridden this thing all day long. It was really fun, and I really wanted a night ride on it. Too bad they close it early.

5) Hoosier Hurricane, Indiana Beach, 1 ride

So disappointed in only riding it once. It has a great layout along Lake Shafer, with some great drops. My one ride was in the back seat. It was pretty smooth. There were some moments when the train felt like it was dragging. But I really liked the ride. I wish I could have given the front a try. It might have been the best part of the train.

I also love my wooden coasters with buzz bar restraints, which is the case with this ride. All told, I tried to ride Hoosier Hurricane on four different occasions. I was only successful once. I'd like to give it a few more spins some day.

4) Raven, Holiday World, 2 rides

Very fun ride, but I’m not really sure how it was rated number one for all of those years. It’s really good, but it’s not '#1' good. It’s the type of ride that you can ride all day long and not get sick of. It maintains great speed throughout the entire course. The first drop is great - as is the last one. Raven is a back seat ride all the way. I loved it. I just loved the other rides more.

3) Cornball Express, Indiana Beach, 3 rides

This thing is awesome, especially in the back seat. The first, second, third – oh hell – all of the drops are just awesome in the back. So much intense air on each one, especially on the far south turn and the last one before the nice turn into the station. I could never get sick of riding it. I just got so sick of waiting for it. I wish I could have ridden it in the front – too bad it was closed all week.

Again, I love that this ride has buzz bar restraints. It allows for so much more lift on the drops. I wish all wooden coasters had such restraints.

2) Voyage, Holiday World, 3 rides.

Shocker for some, I know. This thing was everything I thought it would be, and it was incredible. First ride was in the front, and I didn’t find it that rough at all. The air was great up front, but the back was just amazing. It was rougher, for sure, but this ride is a much better back seat ride for me. All of the drops feature some ejector negative G’s. The underground triple-down is just the icing on the cake in the back.

The third ride we took was in the second car, and it was rougher than the back. That ride only confirmed that the back was the best. The first three drops are great, but the turnaround is just insane. There is one moment when you expect to bank to the right upon cresting a hill, and you stay banked to the left. It totally fakes you out every time.

The return run is great and powerful. I didn’t even mention the 90 degree turns. They are so smooth, as are the transitions between them.

Like I said, the Voyage was everything I thought it would be. It was incredible… but, for me, it just did not top El Toro, Boulder Dash, or even…

1) Legend, Holiday World, 2 rides

Perhaps it’s an expectations thing. I wasn’t expecting this ride to be this good. It’s typically ranked as the “least good” of the three Holiday World coasters. It’s not. It’s the best.

Our first ride was in the front seat. The first drop is just a ton of fun as it slopes to the left at the bottom. The rest of the ride is full of speed, head choppers in the waterpark, negative G’s, and laterals. The tunnels are well placed, and the helices are powerful and fun. I just loved this ride. It blew away my expectations.

We returned later to ride the back, and it was just as good. Legend is the best ride in the park. Include it in the ‘underrated’ group of roller coasters.

What a week. 5 more coasters to go until I hit my goal of 250 for the summer. Between Idlewild, and Waldameer, and Conneaut, I’ll get there by the end of the month. Thanks for reading, if you made it this far.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/1/11 2:34:59 AM

Great TR. I was at Indiana Beach for the first time 3 1/2 weeks ago. I know what you mean by the park needs some TLC. It seems they don't maintain their rides very well. It's a shame because the park has such a cool setting. I also encountered the same slow, lazy ride operators. It drove me nuts. I was lucky to visit the park on a day with short lines. I can't imagine visiting that park on a busy day with how slow they dispatch trains. I'm glad you liked Cornball Express. I don't know if my expectations were to high, but I was really disappointed in it. I thought Hoosier Hurricane had a lot of potential and I loved LCOSM. Steel Hawg was fun, but they were only running 2 cars when I was there also. Tig'rr was cool. Galaxi beat the crap out of me. Like you, I really did like that park. With a few improvements, this could be a real gem.
I've been to Holiday World 3 times. You really need a whole day just to for the amusement park. At least there were short lines when you went. All 3 of their wooden coasters are world class. The Legend is a great coaster, although I do like the Voyage alot more. I'm glad you got to go and ride some awesome coasters while spending time with your family.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/1/11 9:55:40 AM

Great TR! Indiana Beach is an underrated park, but I do agree that they need an operations overhaul. Cornball is one of my favorite wooden coasters. The airtime is just wonderful!

Holiday world is my favorite park so far. Voyage is my number one! I'm surprised you have Legend as a better ride, but if it's what you like, more power to ya. :) I'm not a huge fan of laterals, especially on wooden coasters. Legend is a great ride, don't get me wrong. Just not quite as great as Raven and Voyage to me.

Glad you had fun!

-Josh

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by MABrider MABrider Profile at 8/1/11 12:51:28 PM

Nice detailed, well written report.

I've not been to IB in a while (pre-Hawg in fact) and I've been made aware of many changes (ownership, swings moved from their spot literally over the water, and more), but I am quite disappointed to hear of the horrible operations.

As for HW, the human aspect of operations, er, everything in the park, is second to none, as you found out.
I missed visiting there this year, which is "always" for this:
http://www.holidayworld.com/clubs
Always the first June weekend, it's one way to "force" yourself to go there (again)!

Mike B.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 8/2/11 3:35:22 PM

Awesome TR! Brings so many great memories of these two parks.

> Food

Food is a highlight of these two parks. Plymouth's at HW is sooo good, and you are so right on value - a full Thanksgiving meal for $8.99! Best park meal I have ever had.

I love IB's food - I can't get enough of fried everything, pizza, ice cream, corny dogs...you name it. I'm just glad that everything at IB is low-fat, low-cal, and low-cholestorol!

>> The Parks

> The place just needs some work, some TLC. There is a lot
> that I liked about it, but there was just so much that I
> didn’t understand. In fact, I can find something that I
> just didn’t get about everything I liked…

My visit was in 2007. IB was rustic and needed paint, but I loved that feel and atmosphere that it gave. Sort of old-carnival boardwalk not quite trashy but not classy feel. Overall it seemed to be in good shape.

> - I did enjoy the endless river. I took a couple of laps
> with my 1 year-old. That water was warm and chlorinated.

That was fun - I napped in that thing for a good while.

> - Frankenstein’s Castle – We did this on night #1. It
> was one of the highlights of the park for me. I love the
> pitch-black corridors that I had to feel my way through.
> Nothing ever really jumps out at you, but there are some
> fun gags throughout, including an “elevator” to start
> your journey. There was a great gag about ¾ the way
> through – one that I had never seen before and
> effectively scared the crap out of me. I tried to take the
> Mrs. No go.

Missed this...guess I shouldn't have.

> - The flume has a great drop, but otherwise is a little
> boring. You just meander on the ground before you hit the
> lift. No gags, two gross tunnels (full of gum), and a bunch
> of weeds and spiders.

Yeah, I had the same experience.

> - I missed out on the Paratrooper, the ferris wheel, and
> the flyers, much to my dismay. There just wasn’t an
> opportunity. Oh well, more of a reason to return, I
> suppose.

OGM!!! You missed the flyers!?!?! That is a sacrilege on this message board! They're good - I pulled a full 180 in my car, got twisted up in the cables, and they had to stop the ride and untangle me!

> The operations, especially on the coasters, were
> mind-numbingly bad. The operators take their sweet-old time
> loading and dispatching the trains. The procedure to check
> seatbelts and lap bars is idiotic, as they do the two
> separately. I could go into further detail about the lunacy
> of the operators, but I would be typing forever – longer
> than I am already.

I don't remember such poor operations from my trip. Lost Coaster was the worst - I think one car. I waited over 30 mins. That was pain.

Cornball and HH only ran one train, but with such small crowds, I hardly waited at all. I don't remember the seat belt/lap bar sequence. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

> I hate when parks close the lines earlier than the
> park. It was rampant here.

Me too...I think the only thing worse is when parks open their rides 30 mins to 1 hour after the park opens. UGH!

I LOVED IB. Sorry it wasn't as good for you.

> Holiday World

> The park is immaculate, and clearly deserving of the
> ‘Cleanest Park’ award. I’ve never seen 'remnants' of
> chewing gum on the walls and paths. But yes, Holiday World
> takes the time to even clean the littered gum.

> The paths are wide. The landscaping and hardscaping is
> gorgeous. The staff is very friendly and very helpful. Can
> I pose a few questions? The answer to each of them is
> “Holiday World does.” Let’s begin…

> How many parks offer free soda, water, and Gatorade,
> particularly useful on such a hot day?

> How many parks offer free sunscreen?

> How many parks offer free lockers?

> How many parks have ride attendants that are happy
> to take your loose articles for you as you load?

Uh, yeah! That's why we love it!

> - The flume was similar to Indiana Beach’s. It was a
> little slow and unexciting. At least here you have a great
> view of the Legend. I did get nailed with a wave of water
> before we climbed the lift.

I think this is the worst flume I have ever been on. Ultra slow and no scenery/theming. Boring.

> The Coasters

> I’ve adjusted my top 10 on my URC profile to reflect my
> visit to Holiday World. I did my best to place them. I find
> it hard to compare coasters from park to park, especially
> when I think they are pretty close in comparison. I can,
> however, effectively rank rides at a particular park, or
> parks if I visit them close together.

> 7) Steel Hawg, Indiana Beach, 3 rides

> This thing is a blast. It’s just a shame they only run
> two cars on it. The first drop is just awesome, though the
> brakes take a little something away from it. The entire
> time you really feel that you’re going to fly off the
> tracks. The outside banking turn is a trip in itself, and
> the inversions are smooth and fun. The restraints are a tad
> uncomfortable, but they’re manageable. I’d love to see
> more of these pop up at other small parks. Coney Island,
> Playland, and Morey’s Piers come to mind.

This was not there in 2007. I'd love to try

> 6) Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain, Indiana Beach, 1
> ride

> This ride was a lot of fun too. It’s just a shame that it
> only runs one train. The elevator lift is unique. The track
> is very hilly and twisty. I rode in the back seat and there
> are so many yanks downward accompanied with some nice pops
> of air. I could have ridden this thing all day long. It was
> really fun, and I really wanted a night ride on it. Too bad
> they close it early.

Yes, very fun but long waits.

> 5) Hoosier Hurricane, Indiana Beach, 1 ride

> So disappointed in only riding it once. It has a great
> layout along Lake Shafer, with some great drops. My one
> ride was in the back seat. It was pretty smooth. There were
> some moments when the train felt like it was dragging. But
> I really liked the ride. I wish I could have given the
> front a try. It might have been the best part of the train.

HH was just OK. I found little air and the train a little sluggish. Very pretty though over the water, just not all that.

> 4) Raven, Holiday World, 2 rides

> Very fun ride, but I’m not really sure how it was rated
> number one for all of those years. It’s really good, but
> it’s not '#1' good. It’s the type of ride that you can
> ride all day long and not get sick of. It maintains great
> speed throughout the entire course. The first drop is great
> - as is the last one. Raven is a back seat ride all the
> way. I loved it. I just loved the other rides more.

I agree with you 100%. I have always found Raven to be over-rated. Fun, but not top 10 material.

> 3) Cornball Express, Indiana Beach, 3 rides

> This thing is awesome, especially in the back seat. The
> first, second, third – oh hell – all of the drops are
> just awesome in the back. So much intense air on each one,
> especially on the far south turn and the last one before
> the nice turn into the station. I could never get sick of
> riding it. I just got so sick of waiting for it. I wish I
> could have ridden it in the front – too bad it was closed
> all week.

Now this ride is AWESOME! The buzz bar rules- that seatbelt is saving your life. I can't keep track of the air. It's like a coaster filled with Cyclops-esque drops.

> 1) Legend, Holiday World, 2 rides

> Perhaps it’s an expectations thing. I wasn’t expecting
> this ride to be this good. It’s typically ranked as the
> “least good” of the three Holiday World coasters.
> It’s not. It’s the best.

Thank-you for rating the Legend so high. While I don't think it's better than Voyage, it is top notch - #3 on my woodie list. And much better tha raven. I like how differentiated the course is - air time hills, swooping drops, laterals, helices...it has a little bit of everything. I love it!

Thanks for the TR. Keep ridin' and postin'

- Pat-O

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/7/11 9:19:50 PM

> Great TR.

Thanks

> Like you, I really did like that park. With a few
> improvements, this could be a real gem.

If they would only approve the operations, this place would have rated very highly with me. Great location. Great rides. Great atmosphere.

> I'm glad you got to go and
> ride some awesome coasters while spending time with your
> family.

It doesn't really get better than that.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/7/11 9:24:25 PM

> Great TR! Indiana Beach is an underrated park, but I do
> agree that they need an operations overhaul. Cornball is
> one of my favorite wooden coasters. The airtime is just
> wonderful!

Thanks. Cornball was one of the best back seat coasters I've ridden. Every drop just tosses you up in the air. I am so glad it has buzz bars. You can really feel it.

> Holiday world is my favorite park so far. Voyage is my
> number one! I'm surprised you have Legend as a better ride,
> but if it's what you like, more power to ya. :) I'm not a
> huge fan of laterals, especially on wooden coasters. Legend
> is a great ride, don't get me wrong. Just not quite as
> great as Raven and Voyage to me.

I can't say it's my favorite park, but it's close. They do so much so well. I could spend a solid three days there and not get tired of it. It's about 11 hours from home. I don't know when I'll get back, but I'm going to try when they get a new roller coaster.

I guess we all have different tastes. My tastes in coasters is such that I just loved the Legend. I loved the other ones too, but I just loved Legend more.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/7/11 9:29:03 PM

> Nice detailed, well written report.

Thank you.

> I've not been to IB in a while (pre-Hawg in fact) and I've
> been made aware of many changes (ownership, swings moved
> from their spot literally over the water, and more), but I
> am quite disappointed to hear of the horrible operations.

Very disappointing operations, but that wouldn't stop me from going back. It was a very enjoyable week.

> As for HW, the human aspect of operations, er, everything
> in the park, is second to none, as you found out.
> I missed visiting there this year, which is
> "always" for this:
> Always the first June weekend, it's one way to
> "force" yourself to go there (again)!

Perhaps down the road I can get to Holiwood Nights. I'd have to join a club first. With little ones at home, it's just not in the cards to do any coaster events. I enjoy experiencing parks as a "normal" guest.

When I do make it back to Holiday World, it will be with the family to enjoy the park together. Maybe by then my oldest will be able to ride the coasters with me.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/7/11 9:53:08 PM

> Awesome TR! Brings so many great memories of these two
> parks.

Thanks! And thanks for the awesome response.

> Food is a highlight of these two parks. Plymouth's at HW is
> sooo good, and you are so right on value - a full
> Thanksgiving meal for $8.99! Best park meal I have ever
> had.

> I love IB's food - I can't get enough of fried everything,
> pizza, ice cream, corny dogs...you name it. I'm just glad
> that everything at IB is low-fat, low-cal, and
> low-cholestorol!

Agreed. I was very impressed with Holiday World's quality and selection of food. I had no problem giving them my money.

I loved IB's junk food. That's the way I want to eat on vacation... just sampling different junk food all week.

> > The Parks

> My visit was in 2007. IB was rustic and needed paint, but I
> loved that feel and atmosphere that it gave. Sort of
> old-carnival boardwalk not quite trashy but not classy
> feel. Overall it seemed to be in good shape.

Everything was in good shape, except the coaster trains. You hit the nail on the head - not quite trashy, but not quite classy. Great atmosphere and very unique.

> - Frankenstein’s Castle

> Missed this...guess I shouldn't have.

Yeah, it costs an extra $3.50 but it's worth it. A very fun walk-through.

> OGM!!! You missed the flyers!?!?! That is a sacrilege on
> this message board! They're good - I pulled a full 180 in
> my car, got twisted up in the cables, and they had to stop
> the ride and untangle me!

I know. I'm not happy about it either. But, I wasn't going to be the guy that went off on his own on an in-law vacation. I really wanted to take my 3 year old on them. Next time.

> I don't remember such poor operations from my trip. Lost
> Coaster was the worst - I think one car. I waited over 30
> mins. That was pain.

Yeah, I don't think they even have a second car for Lost Coaster. I don't know how they could even run two cars. Great ride though. You won't find another one of those anywhere else...

> Cornball and HH only ran one train, but with such small
> crowds, I hardly waited at all. I don't remember the seat
> belt/lap bar sequence. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

One train is sufficient for both coasters. The ride ops just need to get the lead out. 10 minutes between dispatches is just miserable to wait through.

> I hate when parks close the lines earlier than the
> park. It was rampant here.

> Me too...I think the only thing worse is when parks open
> their rides 30 mins to 1 hour after the park opens. UGH!

I think I'd rather have a park open a ride late than close it early. It was very annoying.

> I LOVED IB. Sorry it wasn't as good for you.

Oh, I loved the place. I hope I didn't come across totally negative. Like I said above, with better operations, it would be one of my favorite park experiences.

As it's so close to Chicago, and since we go to Chicago at least once a year, I'm sure I'll be back.

> Holiday World

> I think this is the worst flume I have ever been on. Ultra
> slow and no scenery/theming. Boring.

Yeah. With all of the attention to detail everywhere else, this ride almost seemed out of place.

> The Coasters

> 7) Steel Hawg, Indiana Beach, 3 rides

> This was not there in 2007. I'd love to try

It is really fun. I guess you'll just need to get back there.

> 5) Hoosier Hurricane, Indiana Beach, 1 ride

> HH was just OK. I found little air and the train a little
> sluggish. Very pretty though over the water, just not all
> that.

Right. Outstanding setting. Good drops. I just feel like the front would have been better than my backseat ride.

> 4) Raven, Holiday World, 2 rides

> I agree with you 100%. I have always found Raven to be
> over-rated. Fun, but not top 10 material.

This ride may have made my "top 10" back in the late 90's. But it would have never rated over Shivering Timbers, Phoenix, or Ghost Rider. And it shouldn't rate higher than Legend.

> 3) Cornball Express, Indiana Beach, 3 rides

> Now this ride is AWESOME! The buzz bar rules- that seatbelt
> is saving your life. I can't keep track of the air. It's
> like a coaster filled with Cyclops-esque drops.

Nothing is quite Cyclops-esque, but I get what you're saying.

> 1) Legend, Holiday World, 2 rides

> Thank-you for rating the Legend so high. While I don't
> think it's better than Voyage, it is top notch - #3 on my
> woodie list. And much better tha raven. I like how
> differentiated the course is - air time hills, swooping
> drops, laterals, helices...it has a little bit of
> everything. I love it!

I've ridden almost 70 wooden roller coasters, and Legend sits in the top 5 for me, just ahead of its bigger younger brother. It's got everything I love in a wooden roller coaster. It just couldn't take over Phoenix, Boulder Dash, or El Toro.

> Thanks for the TR. Keep ridin' and postin'

Will do

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/8/11 12:20:48 AM

Awesome TR Drachen! I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like you had a good time overall. Someday I'll make my way out there - perhaps that's how I can justify going all the way to HW - go to IB too!

Jen

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/8/11 5:43:34 PM

> Awesome TR Drachen! I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like you
> had a good time overall. Someday I'll make my way out there
> - perhaps that's how I can justify going all the way to HW
> - go to IB too!

That is a great way to justify a trip to Holiday World. That's what I did.

Holiday World wasn't really on my radar until 2007 or so, about a year after Voyage opened. When the in-laws asked for vacation ideas, I suggested Indiana Beach clearly with Holiday World in mind.

They are four hours apart, just so you know.

************ SPECIAL OFFER ************

I was trying to give them away to give them away to some people I know personally, but it didn't work. So...

If anyone on this site wants two free all-day passes to Indiana Beach, respond here and let me know. We had two left over, and they are good for the 2011 season only.

I'd be happy to mail them to you.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/10/11 8:02:30 PM

>

************ SPECIAL OFFER
> ************

> I was trying to give them away to give them away to some
> people I know personally, but it didn't work. So...

> If anyone on this site wants two free all-day passes to
> Indiana Beach, respond here and let me know. We had two
> left over, and they are good for the 2011 season only.

> I'd be happy to mail them to you.
>

No takers? Anyone? Perhaps I should create its own thread?

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 8/10/11 8:24:24 PM

I wish I could but I don't have the funds to go this year :~(

Jen

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/10/11 8:30:10 PM

Sure, I'll be a taker. I drive through Monticello every time I go from home to school and vice versa. I'm sure I could put them to use! Just not sure how to tell you where to mail them, as I don't want to reveal email or address on a public forum, ya know?

-Josh

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/10/11 10:52:04 PM

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/10/11 11:16:04 PM

Thanks a ton! This will allow my park count this season get up to 3 instead of only 2! :) And I definitely could use some Cornball Express airtime!!!

-Josh

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by drachen drachen Profile at 8/22/11 12:20:03 PM

An interesting article on how former employees feel about the current state of Indiana Beach.

Problems at Indiana Beach

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/22/11 12:59:26 PM

I stated in my TR how run down all the coasters and rides appeared. I even saw broken and split wood on Hoosier Hurricane. I give credit to these former employees for bringing this to everyone's attention. Now everyone who attends the park will be looking for imperfections. This is going to force management into dealing with some of these upkeep issues. In the end, Indiana Beach will benefit from this. Instead of operating like a permanent carnival, they'll now have to take that next step and put safety first by addressing these maintenance issues. The lack of upkeep was in plain sight to employees and veteran enthusiasts like myself. Now it has been brought to the attention of the GP. Improvements will have to be made.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Leng by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 8/22/11 1:29:22 PM

I hate that they are willing to invest in a lame new giant jungle-gym/zipling attraction (all the while moving rides like the Water Swings off the water and into generic, unoriginal locations), and not willing to invest that money into needed maintenance improvements. Hopefully these protests will open Morgan's eyes and get into gear. Otherwise I don't see a bright future for IB which is such a shame since the park has soooo much potential! :(

-Josh

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Lengthy) by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/26/13 9:28:49 AM
Nice TR!! I enjoyed reading about the coasters i was unfamiliar with - lots of woodies!
Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Lengthy) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/26/13 10:35:53 AM
We should be at Indiana Beach on August 8th. I'm curious to see how much of a difference the off season track work on the wooden coasters has made.
Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Lengthy) by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/26/13 11:19:34 AM
I just read this trip report as well and I'd be curious how things have changed too.

It was a great read even if two years late.

Re: Indiana Beach & Holiday World - Finally! TR/Review (Lengthy) by drachen drachen Profile at 8/21/13 5:42:53 PM
I was wondering why this thread was "bumped"... I appreciate the kind words.

This was written back before I had a Facebook page, and before I knew how to post photos here.

That was a fun trip. I look forward to making it again some time, at least the Indiana Beach portion on my way to my in-laws in Chicago.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur