Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Dominion TR (long)

Kings Dominion TR (long)

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
6/25/11 at
12:04:48 AM

Well, I woke up in the morning and my ankle was already hurting so that wasn’t a good start to the day. Took some anti-inflammatories and put some painkillers in my bag if needed for later and we left for KD. Adrienne took a meclizine before we even left after her motion sickness yesterday. We stopped and had a good breakfast as well.

Arrived at KD at approximately 9:50 am and literally got one of the parking spots in the very front. When we got in we went to Dominator and took a ride on the front row. I really liked it and Adrienne didn’t feel sick! She declined a re-ride because she didn’t want to overdo it so I went on again for a ride in the back row. I only had to wait one train. It was great! I always like the back on the floorless coasters better than the front.

Dominator

We went down to the rope and they dropped it a little early so we went directly to Volcano. It was only filling one train but running 2, which I fail to understand because there was a good line already forming. We waited for the front row about 2 cycles and then boarded. I LOVED IT!!! What a GREAT ride! SO unique! I have never been on a full circuit inverted launch before (are there any others?) and I absolutely thought it was awesome. Adrienne did too and not only didn’t she feel sick, she loved it as well. I wanted to go right back on but there was a substantial line already there and they were only utilizing one train so we moved on.

Volcano

Backlot Stunt Coaster was a walk-on so we went there next. The one at KI is better and has more of the effects working (at least it did when I was there last year). Adrienne didn’t like it at all.

I then wanted to see what all this hype about I 305 was about so I headed over there. I wasn’t letting Adrienne on that one so I went solo. They were only running one train but there wasn’t much of a line. I waited for the back row (only one cycle). Holy speed batman! That coaster is so fast you don’t even have time to get a “wee” in the belly (which I found a bit disappointing) but wow. Loved the restraints as well – I couldn’t imagine it with hard restraints – that would hurt. Trims after the first hill would kill that entire ride so now I see what everyone was so upset about. Excellent ride.

Intimidator 305

I went on FOF solo as well. I rode it several times at KI but I couldn’t remember if there were inversions or not so I went first. I forgot it didn’t open until noon but luckily I only waited 5 minutes and they opened it early at 11:45 am. Took the last row and it was a good ride. I thought it was smoother than I remember it at KI but I could be wrong. Too much light inside though. Why would you put flood lights inside an “in the dark” coaster? Stupid.

When we came in it had Anaconda listed as down but when I got out of FOF I saw them running trains so I went on. It was a walk on. OUCH! Hands down the worst Arrow looper I’ve been on in terms of pain and banging. I was really trying to appreciate that there were not many of them left, but I just couldn't appreciate this one for anything. There were 2 girls in front of me that were about 8 years old screaming "this is so freaking awesome!" the entire ride. I thought perhaps they had banged their heads too hard, LOL! Not a fan of Anaconda!

Anaconda put the hurt on me!

It was getting really hot and they kept announcing over the speakers about the heat advisory and to take breaks and go inside, etc. We headed to Rebel Yell, which was at one time (when I was 8 years old) my favorite roller coaster. It was a walk on (only running the blue side). Took a front seat and I loved it! It ran GREAT! Was super-fast and smooth for a 35 year old woodie. Maybe it was a bit of nostalgia but I thought it was the best woodie in the park. SFGAdv should hire them to refurbish Rolling Thunder! (but I am all for Mike's idea to demolish it for my very own Dive machine!)

Rebel Yell still going strong after all these years!

I then went on the Drop Tower and I was a bit disappointed. The one at KI blows that one away. I didn’t like how they let you know when you’re going to drop – the anticipation is one of the great aspects of those rides and the one at KI spins so you can see the park and you have no idea when you're going to drop. Don’t get me wrong, I still loved it. Drop me from that height anywhere and I’m happy, I just expected more with it having the longest drop and all and have heard a lot of hype about it.

Drop Tower

Adrienne got a sandwich at Subway and I got a shake at the diner place. It was too hot to eat for me but I needed something. I wanted to go on Hurler since we were right there but I couldn’t figure out where the entrance was! Found the exit with no problem but it took a bit of searching to find the entrance. Had that problem a few times there. They need better signage or a spot on the map for entrances. I thought from the looks of it I wouldn’t like Hurler much but I was wrong. I actually enjoyed it. Although there were a few banked turns (which I don’t care for on the woodies) it had a decent enough first drop and some speed. A little rough in spots but not terrible. Still thought Rebel Yell was better but I am partial to racing woodies.

Hurler

My ankle was getting pretty bad by now (pain killers and all) so I wanted to try and hit all the coasters I wanted to go on before I became incapacitated. I went to find Grizzly but again, couldn’t find the damn entrance! Once again, finally found the exit but I had to ask an employee where to get on. It was very hidden. I took the recommended seat, 2nd from the last and OUCH! That ride was completely out of control! I was thrown like a rag-doll in every direction possible! It reminded me a little of The Beast, the way it was hidden from view and the out of control nature (Beast’s 2nd half) but I actually like the Beast. Can’t say the same for Grizzly. Almost wish I never found the entrance!

This is the entrance set far back in an obscure area

Grizzly - the part you can't see from the ground

We were sweltering so we went on the log flume since we were right there. It was a very nice and relaxing ride with only a 5 minute wait. The entire course is in the shade which was also a bonus. Of course when you want to get wet, you don’t. Just a few sprinkles which was a tease.

Log Flume

So I did it – I agreed to go on the rapids ride. I HATE getting soaked but I was so hot and uncomfortable I couldn’t take it so on we went. I have to say that was a really great rapids ride! Very long and fun. We got drenched (as you always do on those rides) and I although I was a little uncomfortable walking around in wet clothes, it was nothing compared to walking around in dry ones!

We went up the Eiffel Tower for some pics and the breeze up there was great to dry my pants off a little. Adrienne just got back from Paris so she had a few comments about how it looks nothing like the real one. I told her not to judge and it was the poor man’s Eiffel Tower! ;~)

Some Eiffel Tower pics:

Hurler

Shockwave in green, I 305 far right, Anaconda just under it with Stunt Coaster between Anaconda and the Tornado water ride, Rebel Yell to the right and Drop tower in the middle.

This is how empty the park was (it was around 5:30 pm)

We then went on Shockwave. Adrienne actually went on it many years ago when she was on a school trip and remembers liking it. We got on the front row (walk on) and what a strange restraint system! That was a real PIA for the ride ops. Since we were in the front I was able to brace my left foot against the front so I could dangle my right to get my weight off of it. It was a decent ride for a stand up but at one point it jostled me pretty hard and killed my right armpit! I have bruises to prove it.

Shockwave in green

After that I wanted to ride I 305 again in the front. The line was the same as before and I only had to wait 3 cycles to ride (still only running one train). I liked the front much better, believe it or not. The speed that ride maintains throughout is ridiculous! I also noticed that after only riding it once before I was able to navigate it pretty well to avoid any banging around - you have to ride it like riding a motorcycle - if you lean into the turns it works nicely!

Pic of the lift hill I took while waiting for the front

I took this to show people what the restraints look like in case they had not seen them. Very comfortable.

We walked over by Volcano and Avalanche but there was an impending storm so they stopped all the coasters. I was lucky enough to see someone in management by Avalanche and asked how bad the storm was. He said it didn’t look terrible and was moving fast so he didn’t anticipate the rides being down that long. Now, do I believe him or not? I wanted to but my past history at parks with bad information made me skeptical. Everyone came off line for Volcano (the line was pretty long) so we decided to wait it out a little and see if we could get another ride in. The storm came and went and the rides re-opened about 30 minutes after they closed, which was not bad at all. We ran with everyone else to Volcano and took a middle seat. Yep, still loved it. Got off and we went right back on but this time I waited for the back. AWESOME! Adrienne said afterward she thought she felt the twists more than before and I explained that’s why us coaster lovers love back rows so much! What a truly great ride.

Volcano(cars shooting out of the top) and Avalanche on the left

I went on Avalanche next and I thought it was weird. A little rough and I didn’t like how you could feel things shifting under your feet. Didn’t like it but I’m glad I rode it. It is definitely unique but I liked the bobsled at SFGAdv (now at Lake George I believe) much better.

I couldn’t let my day end like that so I went back to the Drop Tower for one last thrill. And naturally, it was down. Adrienne wanted to get a henna tattoo so that gave me some time and it was up and running after a bit. There was a part of me thinking “they only tested it one time and there is a mechanic-looking guy watching it and I should wait a ride or two” but my need for “wee” got the best of me and I boarded. The ride was fine and it was a fitting way to end the day.

We had a great time at KD. Volcano was my favorite out of all the rides there, hands down. The employees were so incredibly nice and helpful and the park seemed well maintained. If it wasn’t for the obscure entrances to some rides, my painful ankle and the 100 degree weather it would have been perfect. There was virtually no waits except for Volcano and the longest we waited was 15 minutes the last time we rode. I did beg Adrienne several times to take me back to Busch Gardens to ride Griffon one last time but she said I’d have to take the bus ;~).

The thing that concerns me is that both parks were very empty. It was the same way on Tomes's TR too. While that's great for us riders I worry that people aren't going to the parks as much and we all know what that means. Hopefully we just hit them right and things will pick up.

We did survive and arrived back in NJ last night. And since my ankle is still quite painful and I still can’t walk very well I had the time to write these trip reports while elevating and icing my poor foot!

Thanks to everyone who helped me plan my day at both parks. Your tips were incredibly helpful and our days went much smoother because of them so again, thank you from the bottom of my heart! You guys on here rock! 8-)

Jen

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/25/11 12:13:51 AM

Love the tr! Brings back my happy memories from my trip there last year. Nice pics!
I am not too thrilled about the all green paint for shockwave.
I think Volcano has company in terms of launching inverts [the cylon coaster at Universal Singapore], but I think volcano is still the only one with two sets of lims.
I would so love to ride I305 with those more comfy restraints.

Grizzly should be 'easy' to find if you can find the go kart area. But agreed that it is pretty hard to find for the first timer.

Flumes, heh, I hate getting wet and would always sit in the back row if at all possible. That's how i keep from getting totally soaked. Even riding solo, only at most the lower part of my jeans gets soaked around the ankles.

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by alpengeistno3 at 6/25/11 1:34:47 AM

> Arrived at KD at approximately 9:50 am and literally got
> one of the parking spots in the very front. When we got in
> we went to Dominator and took a ride on the front row. I
> really liked it and Adrienne didn’t feel sick! She
> declined a re-ride because she didn’t want to overdo it
> so I went on again for a ride in the back row. I only had
> to wait one train. It was great! I always like the back on
> the floorless coasters better than the front.

Back is the only way to go with B&M. Love the pop of air off the lightly used block brake, too. Dominator, despite being an awesome fit for KD rarely has lines beyond what you saw. Seems odd, but the fact that it is so isolated from the other more popular rides in the park seems to make sense.

> We went down to the rope and they dropped it a little early
> so we went directly to Volcano. It was only filling one
> train but running 2, which I fail to understand because
> there was a good line already forming. We waited for the
> front row about 2 cycles and then boarded. I LOVED IT!!!
> What a GREAT ride! SO unique! I have never been on a full
> circuit inverted launch before (are there any others?) and
> I absolutely thought it was awesome. Adrienne did too and
> not only didn’t she feel sick, she loved it as well. I
> wanted to go right back on but there was a substantial line
> already there and they were only utilizing one train so we
> moved on.

Interesting, when I went early, they were only loading the front 6 rows to prevent roll backs. Not sure for the "SFA-style" run- one-load-one strategy. Not normally KD's style.

> Backlot Stunt Coaster was a walk-on so we went there next.
> The one at KI is better and has more of the effects working
> (at least it did when I was there last year). Adrienne
> didn’t like it at all.

I was surprised that the chopper was fully operational on my last visit (it didn't work hardly at all last year. The water effects have either been turned off or abandoned completely.

> I then wanted to see what all this hype about I 305 was
> about so I headed over there. I wasn’t letting Adrienne
> on that one so I went solo. They were only running one
> train but there wasn’t much of a line. I waited for the
> back row (only one cycle). Holy speed batman! That coaster
> is so fast you don’t even have time to get a “wee” in
> the belly (which I found a bit disappointing) but wow.
> Loved the restraints as well – I couldn’t imagine it
> with hard restraints – that would hurt. Trims after the
> first hill would kill that entire ride so now I see what
> everyone was so upset about. Excellent ride.

I-305's speed seems unreal. It is amazing how it approaches those twisty turns and does not let up AT ALL.

> I went on FOF solo as well. I rode it several times at KI
> but I couldn’t remember if there were inversions or not
> so I went first. I forgot it didn’t open until noon but
> luckily I only waited 5 minutes and they opened it early at
> 11:45 am. Took the last row and it was a good ride. I
> thought it was smoother than I remember it at KI but I
> could be wrong. Too much light inside though. Why would you
> put flood lights inside an “in the dark” coaster?
> Stupid.

It is ironic that they advertised the ride back in 1996 as being "so dark", but those same flood lights were on full blast. I guess they figure "dark enough" is good enough. (the layout is twisted enough most people will never figure out where they are going even with the lights on. The best rides I have ever had are when those flood lights have either been burned out or accidentally turned off and it is TRULY a dark ride.

> When we came in it had Anaconda listed as down but when I
> got out of FOF I saw them running trains so I went on. It
> was a walk on. OUCH! Hands down the worst Arrow looper
> I’ve been on in terms of pain and banging. I was really
> trying to appreciate that there were not many of them left,
> but I just couldn't appreciate this one for anything. There
> were 2 girls in front of me that were about 8 years old
> screaming "this is so freaking awesome!" the
> entire ride. I thought perhaps they had banged their heads
> too hard, LOL! Not a fan of Anaconda!

And people complained Drachen Fire at Busch was too rough! Anaconda is just as rough as DF ever was and it isn't even close to as good of a ride!

> Adrienne got a sandwich at Subway and I got a shake at the
> diner place. It was too hot to eat for me but I needed
> something. I wanted to go on Hurler since we were right
> there but I couldn’t figure out where the entrance was!
> Found the exit with no problem but it took a bit of
> searching to find the entrance. Had that problem a few
> times there. They need better signage or a spot on the map
> for entrances. I thought from the looks of it I wouldn’t
> like Hurler much but I was wrong. I actually enjoyed it.
> Although there were a few banked turns (which I don’t
> care for on the woodies) it had a decent enough first drop
> and some speed. A little rough in spots but not terrible.
> Still thought Rebel Yell was better but I am partial to
> racing woodies.

Hurler's problem is that the entrance has been moved 3 times since the ride was put in. (once for Hypersonic's addition and again for the Club Blood entrance. The current location makes sense (next to the exit), but not well marked for anyone looking for the old entrance on the other side of the diner.

> My ankle was getting pretty bad by now (pain killers and
> all) so I wanted to try and hit all the coasters I wanted
> to go on before I became incapacitated. I went to find
> Grizzly but again, couldn’t find the damn entrance! Once
> again, finally found the exit but I had to ask an employee
> where to get on. It was very hidden. I took the recommended
> seat, 2nd from the last and OUCH! That ride was completely
> out of control! I was thrown like a rag-doll in every
> direction possible! It reminded me a little of The Beast,
> the way it was hidden from view and the out of control
> nature (Beast’s 2nd half) but I actually like the Beast.
> Can’t say the same for Grizzly. Almost wish I never found
> the entrance!

Grizzly's entrance is one of the most hidden of any park. Imagine how hard it must have been to find when the bear statue and sign was the only thing marking it with the whole area encased in trees. I didn't ride it until my 2nd visit (my youth group totally missed it the 1st time back in 1987.)

The out of control, rag doll tossing ride is what makes it a gem at KD. It also has the strongest airtime in the park (before I-305). It's no El Toro, but it is the most rough and tumble woodie in the mid-Atlantic.

> We then went on Shockwave. Adrienne actually went on it
> many years ago when she was on a school trip and remembers
> liking it. We got on the front row (walk on) and what a
> strange restraint system! That was a real PIA for the ride
> ops. Since we were in the front I was able to brace my left
> foot against the front so I could dangle my right to get my
> weight off of it. It was a decent ride for a stand up but
> at one point it jostled me pretty hard and killed my right
> armpit! I have bruises to prove it.

Shockwave's restraints are a pain, but at least they are more comfortable than B&M's. The painful 2nd half is a result of the modifications made to squeeze the ride in to the site in front of former Slime Zone arena. I never got to ride the King's Island version, but I bet if flowed a lot better without the mod.

> After that I wanted to ride I 305 again in the front. The
> line was the same as before and I only had to wait 3 cycles
> to ride (still only running one train). I liked the front
> much better, believe it or not. The speed that ride
> maintains throughout is ridiculous! I also noticed that
> after only riding it once before I was able to navigate it
> pretty well to avoid any banging around - you have to ride
> it like riding a motorcycle - if you lean into the turns it
> works nicely!

Did you remember to do the "butt squeeze" to combat graying out on the 1st turn?

> We walked over by Volcano and Avalanche but there was an
> impending storm so they stopped all the coasters. I was
> lucky enough to see someone in management by Avalanche and
> asked how bad the storm was. He said it didn’t look
> terrible and was moving fast so he didn’t anticipate the
> rides being down that long. Now, do I believe him or not? I
> wanted to but my past history at parks with bad information
> made me skeptical. Everyone came off line for Volcano (the
> line was pretty long) so we decided to wait it out a little
> and see if we could get another ride in. The storm came and
> went and the rides re-opened about 30 minutes after they
> closed, which was not bad at all. We ran with everyone else
> to Volcano and took a middle seat. Yep, still loved it. Got
> off and we went right back on but this time I waited for
> the back. AWESOME! Adrienne said afterward she thought she
> felt the twists more than before and I explained that’s
> why us coaster lovers love back rows so much! What a truly
> great ride.

Back is the only way to go on V :)

> The thing that concerns me is that both parks were very
> empty. It was the same way on Tomes's TR too. While that's
> great for us riders I worry that people aren't going to the
> parks as much and we all know what that means. Hopefully we
> just hit them right and things will pick up.

The time you went (mid June) was perfect because all the area schools were still in session due to the snow days tacked on. I think the crowds will pick up now that school is out, but KD is notorious for being an easy park to navigate crowd-wise during the week, even during peak season. Busch, is more dependant on how much of their coasters' capacity they decide to use and timing the crowd movement when they decide to reduce it. I have been on there on Tuesday's when the lines justify 3 trains, but they refused to increase to it. Then there are Sundays where the rides are walkons because they decided the added crowd justified running at full capacity.

> Thanks to everyone who helped me plan my day at both parks.
> Your tips were incredibly helpful and our days went much
> smoother because of them so again, thank you from the
> bottom of my heart! You guys on here rock! 8-)

Glad you had a great trip, despite the pain in the foot. Take it easy for a couple days and you'll be as good as new :)

Paul

> Jen

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/25/11 10:38:35 AM

> Interesting, when I went early, they were only loading the
> front 6 rows to prevent roll backs. Not sure for the
> "SFA-style" run- one-load-one strategy. Not
> normally KD's style.

So that's why they were doing that - I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they were running one train empty. While we were boarding one of the ride ops asked the guy in the station if he got a call back from the fire department yet - it seemed they couldn't turn on the flames until there was a truck on stand-by. It wasn't turned on until around noon.

> I was surprised that the chopper was fully operational on
> my last visit (it didn't work hardly at all last year. The
> water effects have either been turned off or abandoned
> completely.

All they had on was the sound effects and the fire in the barrel when you stopped at that one part.When I was at KI it seemed everything was working and made that ride much more enjoyable.

> I-305's speed seems unreal. It is amazing how it approaches
> those twisty turns and does not let up AT ALL.

It was really cloudy out the first time I rode it and I didn't have my sunglasses on - big mistake! I thought I lost my eyeballs somewhere along the way! Had them on the second ride and it was much better.

> It is ironic that they advertised the ride back in 1996 as
> being "so dark", but those same flood lights were
> on full blast. I guess they figure "dark enough"
> is good enough. (the layout is twisted enough most people
> will never figure out where they are going even with the
> lights on. The best rides I have ever had are when those
> flood lights have either been burned out or accidentally
> turned off and it is TRULY a dark ride.

Now that would be awesome!

> And people complained Drachen Fire at Busch was too rough!
> Anaconda is just as rough as DF ever was and it isn't even
> close to as good of a ride!

It was hands down the worst ride of the trip

> Grizzly's entrance is one of the most hidden of any park.
> Imagine how hard it must have been to find when the bear
> statue and sign was the only thing marking it with the
> whole area encased in trees. I didn't ride it until my 2nd
> visit (my youth group totally missed it the 1st time back
> in 1987.)

I mean put a sign with an arrow or something!

> Shockwave's restraints are a pain, but at least they are
> more comfortable than B&M's. The painful 2nd half is a
> result of the modifications made to squeeze the ride in to
> the site in front of former Slime Zone arena. I never got
> to ride the King's Island version, but I bet if flowed a
> lot better without the mod.

The restraints were not bad at all (in comparison with Mantis) and it was on the 2nd half that I got my bruising - the first half was quite nice.

> Did you remember to do the "butt squeeze" to
> combat graying out on the 1st turn?

LOL! Never even came close to graying out (I don't think anyway). I have a pretty high tolerance for those forces so no butt squeezing for me!

> Back is the only way to go on V :)

It was definitely the best seat that we rode in - had to go easy with Adrienne in the beginning after her horrible day with the rides at BGW. There was virtually no wait for the back compared to the other rows either

> The time you went (mid June) was perfect because all the
> area schools were still in session due to the snow days
> tacked on. I think the crowds will pick up now that school
> is out, but KD is notorious for being an easy park to
> navigate crowd-wise during the week, even during peak
> season. Busch, is more dependant on how much of their
> coasters' capacity they decide to use and timing the crowd
> movement when they decide to reduce it. I have been on
> there on Tuesday's when the lines justify 3 trains, but
> they refused to increase to it. Then there are Sundays
> where the rides are walkons because they decided the added
> crowd justified running at full capacity.

I thought school was already out - that makes sense now. VA Beach was pretty dead too.

Jen

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/25/11 12:15:49 PM

I liked the bobsled at
> SFGAdv (now at Lake George I believe) much better.

I didn't know it was there. I'll be there this week if all goes well, so I'll make sure to ride.

Thanks for the reports and the pix from both parks. Glad you liked I-305, even it wasn't your favorite of the trip. It's my favorite steel.

Mike

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/25/11 2:42:29 PM

> I liked the bobsled at
> SFGAdv (now at Lake George I believe) much better.

> I didn't know it was there. I'll be there this week if all
> goes well, so I'll make sure to ride.

> Thanks for the reports and the pix from both parks. Glad
> you liked I-305, even it wasn't your favorite of the trip.
> It's my favorite steel.

> Mike

Isn't that one of the rides you never went on when it was at SFGAdv? That would be very cool if you could ride it now.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked I 305 but you know I prefer that "wee" feeling to speed. I was actually amazed at how it was so fast there was no "wee" down that insane first drop - I don't think there was time for it to develop! I am extremely happy that the rumors you heard weren't true because trims on that coaster after that hill would KILL it. The speed it maintains throughout the ride is amazing. Props to KD for revamping the layout to get them off and restore the original speed. You really don't hear many parks doing that very often - they throw the trims on, destroy the ride and walk away. Glad they didn't.

Jen

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/25/11 3:26:51 PM

> Isn't that one of the rides you never went on when it was
> at SFGAdv? That would be very cool if you could ride it
> now.

>No, I rode the Sarajevo Bobs when it was in Jackson. Just a few times, though. Since I started being "interested" (too weak a word?) in coasters, the only thing GAdv had that I never rode was Shockwave. The idea of a stand-up coaster didn't appeal to me then. Some things never change...

Mike

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/25/11 4:07:35 PM

> Isn't that one of the rides you never went on when it was
> at SFGAdv? That would be very cool if you could ride it
> now.

> >No, I rode the Sarajevo Bobs when it was in Jackson.
> Just a few times, though. Since I started being
> "interested" (too weak a word?) in coasters, the
> only thing GAdv had that I never rode was Shockwave. The
> idea of a stand-up coaster didn't appeal to me then. Some
> things never change...

> Mike

Ah, that was the one! I actually really liked Shockwave (the whole 5 minutes it was there).

Jen

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by alpengeistno3 at 6/25/11 8:28:23 PM

> Interesting, when I went early, they were only loading the
> front 6 rows to prevent roll backs. Not sure for the
> "SFA-style" run- one-load-one strategy. Not
> normally KD's style.

> So that's why they were doing that - I couldn't for the
> life of me figure out why they were running one train
> empty. While we were boarding one of the ride ops asked the
> guy in the station if he got a call back from the fire
> department yet - it seemed they couldn't turn on the flames
> until there was a truck on stand-by. It wasn't turned on
> until around noon.

YIKES!!!!

> I was surprised that the chopper was fully operational on
> my last visit (it didn't work hardly at all last year. The
> water effects have either been turned off or abandoned
> completely.

> All they had on was the sound effects and the fire in
> the barrel when you stopped at that one part.When I was at
> KI it seemed everything was working and made that ride much
> more enjoyable.

When you think about how much of FOF they have let rot away, it only makes sense that it would be a short amount of time before the same happened to IJ.

> Grizzly's entrance is one of the most hidden of any park.
> Imagine how hard it must have been to find when the bear
> statue and sign was the only thing marking it with the
> whole area encased in trees. I didn't ride it until my 2nd
> visit (my youth group totally missed it the 1st time back
> in 1987.)

> I mean put a sign with an arrow or something!

Or footprints like the Beast has.

> Back is the only way to go on V :)

> It was definitely the best seat that we rode in - had to
> go easy with Adrienne in the beginning after her horrible
> day with the rides at BGW. There was virtually no wait for
> the back compared to the other rows either

Now, that is unusual. Normally, the line does like El Toro, where everyone crowds into the 1st seat they see (in Volcano's case, the back), leaving the rest of the station open for anyone who is bold enough to push by.

> The time you went (mid June) was perfect because all the
> area schools were still in session due to the snow days
> tacked on. I think the crowds will pick up now that school
> is out, but KD is notorious for being an easy park to
> navigate crowd-wise during the week, even during peak
> season. Busch, is more dependant on how much of their
> coasters' capacity they decide to use and timing the crowd
> movement when they decide to reduce it. I have been on
> there on Tuesday's when the lines justify 3 trains, but
> they refused to increase to it. Then there are Sundays
> where the rides are walkons because they decided the added
> crowd justified running at full capacity.

> I thought school was already out - that makes sense now.
> VA Beach was pretty dead too.

Nope, you went on the last week. We were scheduled to be out the 10th, but we had 7 snow days, ending on the 17th. Some Virginia school systems went on the following Monday, too. So, nice timing on your part, whether it was intentional or not.

> Jen

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by Tomes at 6/25/11 10:46:17 PM

Great trip report!
So u liked volcano more than i305 huh?
Some of my friends would probably agree with u :-)
Personally, I305 is one crazy experience, above anything else besides the 400'+ hydraulic launchers.
It's funny that we both said almost the exact same thing in response to volcano "the only full-circuit launched intamin inverted I've been on". I almost thought u copied my thought ;-) definitely high on my ranking.
Honestly, I didn't get much of a kick out of any of the woodies, but I do have to say that I only rode hurled in the front because my friends were wanting to do something different since we always go on the back.

Another thing I was gonna mention is that the 2nd and 3rd times we rode the tower they did not announce the drop.. So it's kind of a hit or miss. I do remember the one at KI being a lot more scary, but it was also the first drop tower I've ridden so I might be almost immune now.

I agree with what others have said about the attendance - I'm not too too worried about it because I'm sure had either of us gone in July or august the lines would be unbearable. I'm just thankful that they do open earlier on in the year for people like us to visit the parks. It really works every time! Cedar point last year, etc. Week days in early June!

Anyway, in glad u had fun!! I'm gonna read ur Busch Gardens report soon too :-)

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/26/11 8:50:21 AM

Once again great TR. As I was viewing your photos of I305 I noticed the new track configuration. My question is did you experience that gray out on the turn following the first drop and does the second hill still provide insane air time? I'm just curious how the changes affected the ride experience.

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/26/11 9:07:08 AM

> Great trip report!
> So u liked volcano more than i305 huh?
> Some of my friends would probably agree with u :-)
> Personally, I305 is one crazy experience, above anything
> else besides the 400'+ hydraulic launchers.
> It's funny that we both said almost the exact same thing in
> response to volcano "the only full-circuit launched
> intamin inverted I've been on". I almost thought u
> copied my thought ;-) definitely high on my ranking.
> Honestly, I didn't get much of a kick out of any of the
> woodies, but I do have to say that I only rode hurled in
> the front because my friends were wanting to do something
> different since we always go on the back.

> Another thing I was gonna mention is that the 2nd and 3rd
> times we rode the tower they did not announce the drop.. So
> it's kind of a hit or miss. I do remember the one at KI
> being a lot more scary, but it was also the first drop
> tower I've ridden so I might be almost immune now.

> I agree with what others have said about the attendance -
> I'm not too too worried about it because I'm sure had
> either of us gone in July or august the lines would be
> unbearable. I'm just thankful that they do open earlier on
> in the year for people like us to visit the parks. It
> really works every time! Cedar point last year, etc. Week
> days in early June!

Like I said I really liked I 305 and thought it was crazy fast and insane - I just thought Volcano was so much fun and unique. I am addicted to the launch as well. I 305 would come in a close second.

I can't believe you got a drop with no warning - No fair! ;~) I rode it twice at different times and both times they warned us. I have ridden several drop towers and I don't think you ever get immune to them - the rush is too intense. The one at KI has more to offer. It stays up for a while and spins so you can view the entire park, which is nice and then leaves you up for a bit before you're dropped without warning. So I think that one is better hands down.

Jen

Re: Kings Dominion TR (long) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/26/11 9:12:08 AM

> Once again great TR. As I was viewing your photos of I305 I
> noticed the new track configuration. My question is did you
> experience that gray out on the turn following the first
> drop and does the second hill still provide insane air
> time? I'm just curious how the changes affected the ride
> experience.

No and yes. I never grayed out and there is still great air time on the second hill. I rode once in the last row and once in the front row. I never rode it before the modifications so I don't know how different it is from the original configuration but the speed it maintained was insane throughout the ride so I think they did a great job at modifying it. Someone who has ridden both versions would have to chime in here to comment on pre and post modification experience. I can say without a doubt there were no trims after the first hill so they have kept them off and the restraints were very comfortable so that modification was awesome.

Jen