Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Waldameer Hours

Waldameer Hours

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
5/6/11 at
12:46:00 PM

Question for those who know. I've decided go to Waldameer for the first time at some point in June. Looking at the hours, I'm seeing opening times on the calendar, but no closing times. The park opens at 10:30 AM some days, 12 PM on others. At what time does the park close on those days?

I'll also be hitting up Conneaut Lake on the trip, to give the Blue Streak a first time spin. Any ideas on Conneaut's operating hours and admission/ride prices? There's nothing on the website.

I'd appreciate any info you got. Looking forward to the trip.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Waldameer Hours by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/6/11 12:57:45 PM

Waldameer closes at 10:00 during the summer. I'm not sure why this year the calendar does not post closing times. Perhaps they are pulling a Kennywood here. Regardless, early in the season the park generally closes by 8:00. Summer they usually close at 10 and by close at 10, I mean they do the closure of ride lines early so that everyone is out at 10:00.

I'll be there for Opening Day tomorrow and will see if I can find anything else out.

Re: Waldameer Hours by drachen drachen Profile at 5/6/11 4:47:51 PM

Thanks for the info. Anything in particualar (besides RF2) that I need to try? Maybe a food stand or a particular ride?

I'm planing on spitting the day between Waldameer and Conneaut Lake, spending a few hours at each place.

Re: Waldameer Hours by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/6/11 5:16:03 PM

Well drachen, for "must-sees" at Waldameer, these are just my suggestions:

- Whacky Shack: a classic 1970 dark ride from Bill Tracey. It's a bit hokey but that's what makes it so much fun.
- Giant Wheel: the view from the top of the park and the surrounding lakeshore area is simply stunning.
- Comet: A Herb Schmeck junior wooden coaster that ranks as one of my favorite "fun" rides. Its wooded setting adds to the fun.
- Steel Dragon: A Maurer-Sohne spinning coaster that is also a lot of fun. The spinning isn't incredibly intense either.

Those are my suggestions for must-sees. The park's flume is also very well done, X-Scream is an awesome ARM drop tower with amazing views, and if you like Disk-O's, Waldameer's offers a pretty long ride cycle. And of course, there's Pirate's Cove, a rare walk-through fun house also by Bill Tracey.

Enjoy your visit. :)

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Waldameer Hours by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/6/11 7:21:50 PM

> I'm planing on spitting the day between Waldameer and Conneaut

Now that's some powerful spitting distance!

Re: Waldameer Hours by drachen drachen Profile at 5/6/11 11:03:21 PM

> I'm planing on spitting the day between Waldameer and
> Conneaut

> Now that's some powerful spitting distance!

They don't call me the llama for nothing...

That made me laugh. Clearly I meant splitting. Nice pick-up, and nice use of emphasis!

Re: Waldameer Hours by drachen drachen Profile at 8/20/11 1:00:52 AM

It looks like I'm finally going to do this trip this coming Thursday, the 25th. I plan to get to the park at the 12pm opening, and spend the next 5 hours there.

Conneaut opens at 6pm, and I'll probably spend only an hour or so there. I've got a pretty decent drive ahead of me. It's a lot to do in a day, but I feel like I need to finally get to Waldameer and Conneaut this year.

If anyone cares to answer a few more questions...

What's good to eat in the area or even in the parks?

I was thinking about a drive around Presque Isle State Park? Is it scenic? Is it worth it?

Re: Waldameer Hours by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/20/11 11:44:41 AM

Never ate inside the park, always hit McDonald's on the way in and then on the way out. I try to avoid paying park prices for food when I can. That McDonald's is about 600 ft. from the park entrance. You'll pass it on the way in. As for Presque Isle, it's very nice. It's something you would probably enjoy, really good fishing in the bay. If you had more time I would recommend it, but it sounds like your day is already full. Ravine Flyer II is great, a top 5 wooden coaster. I got 11 rides when we went in June and still wanted more. Steel Dragon and The Comet are fun little coasters. Waldameer has a great collection of flat rides. You're probably going to want to spend as much time as possible in the park, especially since your coming from such a long distance. If it were me I would forget about Presque Isle and focus on Waldameer.

Re: Waldameer Hours by drachen drachen Profile at 8/20/11 1:45:15 PM

> Never ate inside the park, always hit McDonald's on the way
> in and then on the way out. I try to avoid paying park
> prices for food when I can. That McDonald's is about 600
> ft. from the park entrance. You'll pass it on the way in.

I used to be the same way - only eating at the local fast food restaurants. Now, I'm more into taking in the whole park experience, which means sampling their food. I'm not opposed to checking out a local establishment either, if it's close to the park.

> As for Presque Isle, it's very nice. It's something you
> would probably enjoy, really good fishing in the bay. If
> you had more time I would recommend it, but it sounds like
> your day is already full. Ravine Flyer II is great, a top 5
> wooden coaster. I got 11 rides when we went in June and
> still wanted more. Steel Dragon and The Comet are fun
> little coasters. Waldameer has a great collection of flat
> rides. You're probably going to want to spend as much time
> as possible in the park, especially since your coming from
> such a long distance. If it were me I would forget about
> Presque Isle and focus on Waldameer.

I obviously won't have time to fish..., but I was thinking about just driving around on Peninsula Drive.

I'm hoping for light crowds at Waldameer on a late-summer Thursday. I want to ride everything that is unique to the park - things like the flume, dark rides, ferris wheel, and skyride.

As far as coasters go, I'll be good with one ride on Steel Dragon, 2 on Comet, and as many as I can get on Ravine Flyer II.

If I can do all of that in 4-5 hours, I'll go for a scenic drive. If not, my entire time in Erie will be spent in the park.

Re: Waldameer Hours by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/20/11 2:09:03 PM

The Wacky Shack is a pretty cool dark ride and Pirates Cove is a walk through fun house. Ali Buba is a cool unique flat ride. You will get very wet on their flume, put cell phone and other electronics in a water proof bag or put in the car before you ride. The park is really small but it's crammed with rides. A nice mix of old and new flat rides. Have fun. Can't wait to read your TR.

Re: Waldameer Hours by ray_p ray_p Profile at 8/20/11 8:20:35 PM

As far as food outside the park, there's a BackYard Burgers and Five Guys on Peninsula Drive now as well, both of which serve up much tastier burgers than MickeyD's (in my opinion anyway). Also, the Millcreek Mall is about 5 miles away and has a vast array of food joints to choose from- O'Charley's, Smokey Bones, Max and Erma's, etc. And the Peach Street exit off of I-90 features just about everything you can think of. So there's plenty of options. The food inside the park is pretty average to sub-par.

Enjoy your visit. :)

Re: Waldameer Hours by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/20/11 9:04:08 PM

I fly fish for steelhead faithfully in Lake Erie tributaries. Between Oct through April I'm up there 10 to 15 times. We have yet to find a restaurant that we're happy with. On the exit you'll take to get to Coneaut, there are several restaurants that have good food. Like you said, you want to eat in the park, but if you get hungry after that there's plenty of restaurants on your way with alot less traffic. There is alot traffic once you get off the interstate on your way to Waldameer. Have patience, be careful and watch for signs.(It's not marked well)

Re: Waldameer Hours by drachen drachen Profile at 8/20/11 10:33:32 PM

> As far as food outside the park, there's a BackYard Burgers
> and Five Guys on Peninsula Drive now as well, both of which
> serve up much tastier burgers than MickeyD's.

And...SOLD! I'm a sucker for a good burger joint. I've been to Five Guys numerous times. Never heard of Backyard Burgers. I'll stop there hopefully before I get to the park.

I appreciate all the tips. TR surely to follow.

Re: Waldameer Hours by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 8/21/11 4:04:43 AM

And you like Five Guys? If you like "good burger" joints then I don't understand.

Re: Waldameer Hours by sparky sparky Profile at 8/21/11 4:09:24 PM

For me, the ONLY place to eat in Erie is Sara's- just down the hill from Waldameer heading towards Presque Isle State Park. Top ten hot dog IMO (local natural casing Smith's brand) chargrilled. And their onion rings are like crack (in a good way). Throw in a root beer and you've got a great, and affordable meal within viewing distance of the park.

Re: Waldameer Hours by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/22/11 10:16:48 AM

> And you like Five Guys? If you like "good burger"
> joints then I don't understand.

I agree. After hearing nothing but raves, I finally tried 5G this year. Blah..fries were lousy too.

Also, Drachen..one of the two best burgers I've ever had in an amusement park was at Waldameer..don't remember the exact location, though. The other was at a stand in HW's waterpark.

Mike

Re: Waldameer Hours by drachen drachen Profile at 8/22/11 10:57:38 AM

> For me, the ONLY place to eat in Erie is Sara's- just down
> the hill from Waldameer heading towards Presque Isle State
> Park. Top ten hot dog IMO (local natural casing Smith's
> brand) chargrilled. And their onion rings are like crack
> (in a good way). Throw in a root beer and you've got a
> great, and affordable meal within viewing distance of the
> park.

The only thing that tops a good burger joint for me is a good hot dog joint. Plans - changed. Sara's it is.

For the record, while I can't say that I don't like a Five Guys burger, it's not my favorite. The fries are only ok for me.

Give me In N Out (and their spectacular fries) any time. Culver's burgers are a close second for me, in the fast food burger category that is.