Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Island announcing something big next week?

Kings Island announcing something big next week?

Shaggy Shaggy Profile

Posted:
3/9/11 at
9:08:22 AM

I checked KI's website today and the lead banner said:

Something big is coming
Your history

Seems to have the "look" of a dinosaur or paleo dig or beginning of man.... hmmmm...

Maybe I missed another post about this, but didn't see a title similar.
Let the speculation begin!

Shaggy

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/9/11 9:38:53 AM

> Something big is coming
> Let the speculation begin!

Good to hear from you, John. I'm hoping it will likely be an announcement of next year's 40th anniversary project. I had previously speculated that it will probably go where SOB and Top Gun are now.

But then it also could just be a "big season pass sale".

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 3/9/11 10:00:36 AM

Hey there...

Well, they are re-painting Flight Deck, so I doubt it's going anywhere ;-)

I would suspect it has something to do with the topography map they teased on facebook recently, as well as the picture of the footprint they also showed.

If I had to guess... a walk-through dinosaur exhibit in the wooded area to the left of Racer.

But here's hoping it is a new coaster install for 2012 (long shot) ;-)

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/9/11 10:32:58 AM

> Well, they are re-painting Flight Deck, so I doubt it's
> going anywhere ;-)

Well, that is good news. There was much concern for the remaining Arrow suspendeds following BBW's removal last year. Glad to know we will likely have FD around for at least a few more years :)

I'm thinking a Dino petting museum seems out of place for KI, but then someone could be nostalgic for the Star Trek & Titanic exhibits of a decade ago and found something they could throw against the wall.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 3/9/11 7:06:55 PM

I don't know...a walk through dinosaur exhibit does not seem like it would fit in a theme park but rather a zoo (they had one here at the Cleveland Zoo the past two summers).

Could CF actually step out of the box and try a viral campaign leading up to 2012 like Hershey is doing with their new ride?

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 3/10/11 9:05:57 AM

Well, KI had one back around 2000...

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/10/11 5:29:39 PM

> If I had to guess... a walk-through dinosaur exhibit in the
> wooded area to the left of Racer.

KI is one of the parks that I look at and say, "Why haven't I been there yet?" (about a 7 hour drive) I don't know much about the surrounding area, but I'm having a hard time seeing how a dinosaur themed exhibit would fit in with everything else at Kings Island, unless they are just thinking of something completely original and more family oriented.

> But here's hoping it is a new coaster install for 2012
> (long shot) ;-)

Maybe not too much of a long shot. Diamondback will be three years old in 2012. Definitely not unheard of to add two new coasters, three years apart.

I'm anxious to see what's in store. I had thought about finally hitting up KI this year. If it's a coaster that's coming in 2012, then I will wait until next year - unless it's announced that another coaster is leaving.

If I were to find out Vortex or Flight Deck were to be removed at the end of the season, I would hop in the car and be there for opening day.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 3/12/11 10:28:38 PM

> If I were to find out Vortex or Flight Deck were to be
> removed at the end of the season, I would hop in the car
> and be there for opening day.

As you should. Those are two top-notch coasters that I would hate to see go. Yes, Vortex is really good. Isn't that right, Katie?!

- Pat-O

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Katie Katie Profile at 3/13/11 1:38:11 AM

I <3 <3 <3 <3 Vortex, Pat-O!

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/13/11 7:11:01 PM

> As you should. Those are two top-notch coasters that I
> would hate to see go. Yes, Vortex is really good. Isn't
> that right, Katie?!

Lone Star and Katie, my two fellow closet Arrow fans. They (Arrow coaters) are a dying breed. I'll travel to ride one that's closing, especially if I've never ridden it. Vortex and Flight Deck are two that I will not miss the chance to ride.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by MarathonRunner MarathonRunner Profile at 3/13/11 7:32:04 PM

I like Arrow coasters, too. They pretty much brought in the tubular steel coaster with Matterhorn (a gem of a Disney coaster). My fav arrow is still Magnum. I also like Anaconda, too (in addition to Vortex). I am STILL bummed that I missed Drachen Fire by one year.

MarathonRunner

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Katie Katie Profile at 3/13/11 9:55:50 PM

I'm not a closet arrow fan. I'm full fledged arrow fan-girl!

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 3/13/11 11:48:50 PM

Magnum XL200 is Arrow's crown jewel. The next tier of Arrow excellence are fading away. Big Bad Wolf, G.A.S.M. at Great Adventure, Shockwave at Great America, and my personal favorite Kennywood's Steel Phantom. These fantastic coasters are being dismantled every year because they have "ran their coarse". How long will it be until B&M inverts or CCI woodies are replaced by the newest technology coasters? I understand that theme parks own a limited area of land. I feel that parks should look at coaster preservation in a more dire sense. Build the new technological coasters we enthusiasts crave, but look at all land management alternatives before bulldozing a great coaster. If space is the main issue then build in areas that are currently occupying pavilions or preferred parking or any space that is being wasted. I'm only 34 and probably about 35 coasters I've ridden don't exist anymore. It's time to stop that trend. The quality of these coasters is a minor issue. Once a coaster is dismantled there is no more circuits, no new riders, no new memories, and no more discussion. On this note cherish the coasters that are currently operating and get out there and ride. You never know if it's your last ride.

Ken

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by hyperrider hyperrider Profile at 3/14/11 9:43:49 AM

I agree with you entirely. BBW was my first ever roller coaster so obviously it holds that soft spot to me. I last went to BGW with a group and we did not ride it that day because the group said it was "too old" so we basically got an extra ride on Griffon instead... Next I heard that they were tearing it down and did not have the chance to go ride it on its last season. A part of me still doesn't believe that the ride that developed my love for coasters is no longer there. I second this notion... Coasters, like people, have a limited time here, show them some love while you can!

Jason

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/14/11 5:19:21 PM

> Could CF actually step out of the box and try a viral
> campaign leading up to 2012 like Hershey is doing with
> their new ride?

Did anyone watch the video on the website? Link below. I got a kick out of it. I wonder if they'll show the 'unedited' version this Friday.

Regarding the connection to Hersheypark's viral campaign, I'd much rather see it done this way - a pre-announcement 10 days out. A teaser video the week of the announcement. Then the actual announcement before the park opens for the season. You build much more anticipation and buzz with the actual details of the attraction than you do with a viral 'game'.

Hershey dropped an initial clue in October 2010, and another about 10 days ago. The second clue talked about more clues coming in April, with an August 2011 announcement. All tolled, they will be stringing people along for almost 10 months. I find it to be annoying.

Kings Island has gotten just as many people talking online about their new attraction as Hershey has, in a fraction of the time. It doesn't take very long in this day and age. Once KI's announcement hits, it will light up the message boards, leaving Hershey as an afterthought in most circles.

Kings Island 2012 Teaser Video

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/14/11 6:29:40 PM

> It doesn't take very long in this day and age.
> Once KI's announcement hits, it will light up the message
> boards, leaving Hershey as an afterthought in most circles.

I disagree.

After seeing how drawn out the last Hershey viral campaign was, I think Hershey is going to keep everybody's attention all summer long.

I don't think whatever the announcement is, especially if it's something for 2011, will take away from the Hershey buzz. If the announcement is for the 2011 season, it's not likely to be huge.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 3/14/11 6:57:13 PM

I sort of miss the pre-Internet days that when a park announced a new attraction it was very exciting because you didn't know about it until you saw it on the news or read it in the newspaper. It still is exciting but nowadays we get leaks for new attractions a year or so before they are announced, lots of teasing from the parks themselves to keep the interest going.

I'm also a fan of Arrow coasters and I would really hate to see Vortex leave when its time comes.

G-Dog

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/14/11 8:29:04 PM

> I'm also a fan of Arrow coasters and I would really hate to
> see Vortex leave when its time comes.

At nearly thirty years old, Vortex is still going strong. Being
a major people mover, I don't think KI is going to let it die easily.
AFAIK it has very little downtime and unlike King Cobra or Top Gun it seems that getting replacement parts has never been an problem.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/15/11 12:38:34 PM

> Did anyone watch the video on the website? Link below. I
> got a kick out of it.

I watched it.
I thought it was *HONK*, I mean really *BLEEP* silly.
In a good way...
:-)

Mike B.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/15/11 4:07:48 PM

> It doesn't take very long in this day and age.
> Once KI's announcement hits, it will light up the message
> boards, leaving Hershey as an afterthought in most circles.

> I disagree.

> After seeing how drawn out the last Hershey viral campaign
> was, I think Hershey is going to keep everybody's attention
> all summer long.

> I don't think whatever the announcement is, especially if
> it's something for 2011, will take away from the Hershey
> buzz. If the announcement is for the 2011 season, it's not
> likely to be huge.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

I understand there are two ways to look at the whole viral marketing game. I mean, either you like it or you don't. It's just not for me. And I don't like the feeling of being strung along, especially for 10 months.

I just think that if Hershey would simply announce the attraction, like KI is doing, they would generate a lot more interest from both the coaster community and the general public.

As a fan of both the park and roller coasters in general, I would much rather discuss the features/construction of a roller coaster than talk about figuring out clues.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/15/11 4:13:12 PM

> Did anyone watch the video on the website? Link below. I
> got a kick out of it.

> I watched it.
> I thought it was *HONK*, I mean really *BLEEP* silly.
> In a good way...
> :-)

> Mike B.

Due to the fact that I heard "World's largest *HONK*" and I think "World's first *BLEEP", I'm going to guess that it's not a coaster. I could be wrong - I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe it is the SoB rehab we're all hoping for, but that wouldn't fit with anything about 'history' or dinosaur bones, like is seen on the website. Would they really go to all of this trouble to promote a new family attraction - one that is not likely to create much of a buzz online? I don't know.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by looper77 at 3/16/11 6:59:31 PM

Kings Island has unloaded a dinosaur at the park...

KI Video teaser posted on YouTube

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/16/11 8:33:14 PM

hmmmmm I really don't know what it could be if it's going to be for this year.

It's not a coaster, why would they have something built that won't open until the end of the season? Just seems backwards to me.

Must be some huge tower maybe. I dunno....any guess is as good as mine.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/17/11 11:38:39 AM

I had no idea there were teaser videos out there.

In the description for the first teaser video, the caption reads "Don Helbig, Public Relations Manager for Kings Island Amusement Park, talks about what's new for 2011."

Solves that.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by looper77 at 3/18/11 2:54:11 PM

Dinosaurs on parade it is...

here's the direct link...

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/park/dinosaurs_alive/index.cfm

From the KI website.

Visitors to Kings Island will have an opportunity to step back in time to periods between 245 million to 65 million years ago when the world's largest animatronic dinosaur park debuts May 26, 2011. More than 60 life-sized dinosaurs will be on display in Dinosaurs Alive! at Kings Island, including 56 animatronic models, in a spectacular outdoor Jurassic forest setting.

The multi-sensory and interactive dinosaur park brings inspiration, science and technology together at Kings Island where guests will also hear the sounds and see the movements of 60-plus full-sized animatronic creations made to replicate nearly every feature of the dinosaurs. Each of the animatronic dinosaurs is hand-carved and covered with skin-like materials.

The highlight of Dinosaurs Alive! is the world's largest animatronic dinosaur, the Ruyang Yellow River dinosaur, which measures an incredible 72 feet long, 12 feet wide and 30 feet high! Other animatronic dinosaurs include the vicious looking Irratator and its cousins, the Baryonyx and the Spinosaurus, the lizard-like Stegosaurus, the meat-eating Tyrannosaurs Rex, three-horned Triceratops and the flying Pteranodon.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Kings Island's Dinosaurs Alive

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by drachen drachen Profile at 3/18/11 4:17:56 PM

> Dinosaurs on parade it is...

Looks interesting. And it opens in May. That leaves room for something bigger and badder for the park's 40th Anniversary next season...

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/18/11 5:24:17 PM

> Dinosaurs on parade it is...

link is broken.

A dinosaur parade? LAME.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/18/11 6:29:39 PM

Not actually a parade. It looks like a grown up version of the Dynamation exhibit that was touring museums about 20 years ago. I'm sure it is much improved now... certainly larger. My one question is, where in the park will it be located? It appears to be a wooded location, but there isn't a flat spot available without draining another lake.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by looper77 at 3/18/11 7:35:47 PM

Kudos to the park for trying something different, but it just doesn't sound that interesting to me. I know kids love dinosaurs so hopefully this exhibit will be a success for the park.

I'm usually easily entertained at a park, I don't always need speed or airtime. However, I just don't think it would really entice me to buy a ticket, just for this. I think just sitting down on International Street and watching the general public go by would be much more entertaining...

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 3/19/11 12:09:59 AM

> My one question is, where in the park will it be
> located? It appears to be a wooded location, but there
> isn't a flat spot available without draining another lake.

Answering my own question, I'm guessing they may be staging this attraction along the pathway to/from White Water Canyon. On the evening news they mentioned "a walk in the woods" and the WWC path is fairly flat and wooded, plus there is roadway access for trucking in these animatronic Dino's (they must weigh a TON). They would have to come up with another route for guests to access WWC but that seems like only a small problem.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by segafan7 segafan7 Profile at 3/19/11 3:56:57 PM

Did you read the part where they say that you will have to PAY an extra admission (of 5 dollars) to see this Dinosaur attraction?

I mean, 5 dollars isn't much, buy why not just make it part of the general admission cost?

After looking at the video, I'm not very impressed with the Dinosaur's "animations" and "movement". The "animatronics" didn't even look as good as Disney stuff from 20 to 30 years ago!

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Steelforce at 3/22/11 11:05:30 AM

I think they bought all the dino stuff from the now defunct Prehistoric Forests all over the country. Coming soon all the old Mystery Hill stuff.

http://mysteryhill.com/

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Link Link Profile at 3/22/11 8:13:28 PM

Too bad it wasn't a dinosaur-themed replacement/update for Son of Beast..... =/

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by tonytigrr at 3/22/11 8:35:09 PM

* * * * Dinosaurs Alive * * * *

Straight from the Dinosaurs mouth...

Visit Kings Islands website for details.

Dinosaurs Alive

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Autistic_Savant Autistic_Savant Profile at 3/23/11 7:21:40 AM

I wish it were the rebuilding of the Rye Beach Airplane. Wouldn't that be great? Or pehaps it should continue to rest eternally within the graveyard of coaster legend.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Steelforce at 3/23/11 7:36:19 AM

> I wish it were the rebuilding of the Rye Beach Airplane.
> Wouldn't that be great? Or pehaps it should continue to
> rest eternally within the graveyard of coaster legend.

I still think that many of these legendary coasters, became legends because they beat the crap outta you, rather than they were great rides.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by looper77 at 3/23/11 4:37:07 PM

> I wish it were the rebuilding of the Rye Beach Airplane.
> Wouldn't that be great? Or pehaps it should continue to
> rest eternally within the graveyard of coaster legend.

I'm surprised GCI hasn't attempted to rebuild the Rye Airplane yet, although many of their creations seem inspired by it.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Autistic_Savant Autistic_Savant Profile at 3/23/11 7:42:43 PM

I have heard that the blueprints for the Rye Beach Airplane exist. I wonder how much those would be worth? And for that matter, how much would 1920s blueprints be worth for a ride with similar intensity to the Airplane---PTC Wildcats, Traver Cyclones, Baker Cyclones, or other Prior and Church Bobs style roller coasters?

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by Corkscrew_Foley Corkscrew_Foley Profile at 4/2/11 3:04:02 AM

> I'm also a fan of Arrow coasters and I would really hate to
> see Vortex leave when its time comes.

> At nearly thirty years old, Vortex is still going strong.
> Being
> a major people mover, I don't think KI is going to let it
> die easily.
> AFAIK it has very little downtime and unlike King Cobra or
> Top Gun it seems that getting replacement parts has never
> been an problem.

Actually Rob, Vortex is going to be 20 this year. As for Arrow, I 've always had a special place in my heart for them, and Vortex is hands down my favourite one.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by CarolH at 4/2/11 7:32:16 AM

> Actually Rob, Vortex is going to be 20 this year. As for
> Arrow, I 've always had a special place in my heart for
> them, and Vortex is hands down my favourite one.

Vortex opened in 1987, take 2011 sbubract 1987 that equals 24.
So, Vortex is actually going to be 24 this year.

Men just can't count, :)

Carol

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/2/11 8:59:32 AM

> Vortex opened in 1987, take 2011 sbubract 1987 that equals 24.
> So, Vortex is actually going to be 24 this year.
> Men just can't count, :)

Thanks for straightening us out Carol. Actually I had just picked a number based on when the Bat was there about thirty years ago.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 4/2/11 7:26:22 PM

Really haven't been keeping up coaster- or park-wise with my hobby, but I skimmed over this post and KI's website regarding the DinoPark.

First thought that popped into my head: "Wait. If they can't keep the eyes lit on the TombRaider ride, how are they gonna keep all the animatronics up and running properly with the DinoPark?"

Yeah, cheeky I know, but I am a realist.

LOL

~MommaBeast

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/2/11 8:19:39 PM

^
Depends who "they" is in each instance!

Mike B.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/2/11 8:41:01 PM

I was wondering the same thing, MB, but didn't want to say it... though actually I was thinking along the lines of Adventure Express.

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 4/3/11 10:38:55 AM

> I was wondering the same thing, MB, but didn't want to say
> it... though actually I was thinking along the lines of
> Adventure Express.

@Rob:
:))
Exactly. Or any number of rides/attractions that haven't been kept in tip-top (operating) shape over the years.

@MABrider:
Tru dat tru dat. So WHO are 'they'?

~MommaBeast

Re: Kings Island announcing something big next week? by CRCORY at 8/24/11 11:45:18 PM

I am looking for John Keeter (Shaggy). Worked with him in Chillicothe at Central Center Hardware. Are you that John Keeter..if so please reply to cory5533@roadrunner.com. Clara