Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New For 2012

New For 2012

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
2/18/11 at
5:58:38 PM

Preface:

I know, this may be a bit early. But I was looking over the list of new coasters for 2011 on RCDB, and I am left a bit unispired.

Out here in the east, I'm looking forward to Green Lantern at SFGAdv, but let's face it, it's not new. I'm looking forward to Black Diamond, but nothing really thrilling there. Flying Turns could open, which would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

The only major, truly new coasters opening this year in the U.S. are Cheetah Hunt at Busch Tampa and Green Lantern at Magic Mountain. We can throw in a couple of Euro-fighters at Canobie and SFoG too, I guess.

The only new wooden coaster is the tiny Wooden Warrior in CT, which seems crazy to me. Zippin Pippin is being rebuilt in Green Bay, and a rehabbed Texas Giant will open, but it seems more of a steel ride now.

2011 is just a slow year for new coasters.

Now, I hope to get to a few of these this year. However my anticipation for 2011 is not for the new rides, but for new-to-me parks like Indiana Beach and Holiday World.

As far as new coasters go, I'm looking forward to the following year, 2012, as it seems there will be a lot of major parks adding major roller coasters. Some are already confirmed. Some are speculation, but clues seem to dictate that they are up to something.

I'm going to reply to this post and start a running list that I will edit as announcements are made, since some announcements are expected sooner than later. The list looks good already. 2012 is going to be a big year.

*Edit

Looking over the list, I'm not seeing a lot of opportunites for wooden coasters in 2012 either, which is disappointing. I hope that's not the case.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

New For 2012: The List by drachen drachen Profile at 2/18/11 6:38:19 PM
Confirmed

Sea World San Diego
-- Manta, multi-launched coaster, Mack

Hersheypark
-- Skyrush, Intamin mega-coaster, new train design
200 ft tall, 85 degree 1st drop, 3600 ft long, 75 mph

-- New Gerstlauer trains for sooperdooperLooper.

Canada's Wonderland
-- Leviathan, B&M "giga"-coaster,
306 ft tall, 80 degree 1st drop, 5600 ft long, 92 mph

Dorney Park
-- Stinger, Relocated Vekoma Invertigo from CGA, and a Dinosaurs Alive! walkthrough.

Six Flags America
-- Apocalypse, Relocated B&M Stand-up coaster from SFGAm

Six Flags New England
-- Goliath, Relocated Vekoma GIB from Magic Mountain

Six Flags Great America
-- X-Flight, a B&M Wing-rider,
120 ft tall, 3000 ft long, 55 mph, 5 inversions

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
-- Superman: Ultimate Flight, a Premier launched, closed loop coaster, 62 mph, 150 ft inversion, two "vertical twists"

Dollywood
-- Wild Eagle, a B&M Wing Rider
210 ft tall, 135 ft drop, 3127 ft long, 61 mph, 4 inversions

Busch Gardens Williamsburg
-- Verbolten, a Zierer multi-launching(2) coaster, indoor/outdoor, with special effects. 50+ mph, 2800+ feet long, 3 1/2 minutes long. 5, 16 passenger trains, 88 foot final drop down to the water.

Knoebels (hopefully)
--Flying Turns, they were close last year. I can't help but think 2012 will be the year. I'll be watching it closely.

Galveston Island Historic Pier
--Iron Shark, 100 ft tall Gerstlauer Eurofighter with 4 inversions. Part of the Galveston Pier rebuild. Love seeing stuff like this.

Parks that Went in a Different Direction in 2012. Maybe 2013?

Cedarar Point
-- Dinosaurs Alive! Animatronic dinosaur walk through attraction will be added to Millennium Island. In addition, Soak City will add a multi-lane mat racer water slide.

Holiday World
-- Announced Mammoth, another water coaster. This one is the world's longest, with 6 seater rafts.
69 ft tall, 1763 ft long, five tunnels, uphill LIMs.
Also announced the addition of a Zamperla vertical swing ride.

Carowinds
-- Announced Windseeker, the 5th 301 ft swing ride from Cedar Fair.

Six Flags Magic Mountain
-- Announced Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, two free fall rides, added to the sides of the 415 ft Superman Tower. Awesome.

Six Flags Great Adventure
-- Sky Screamer, 240 ft high, and the King Cobra water slide at Hurricane Harbor. Great Adventure is also re-installing bumper cars, a scrambler, and the Flying Elephants.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas
-- Sky Screamer, 200 ft high, and an additional attraction to be named.

Six Flags St. Louis
-- Bonzai Pipeline, a "looping" water slide.

Great Escape
-- Alpine Freefalls, a dual slide tower, with one vertical drop slide, and a mat racing slide.

Kings Dominion
-- Windseeker, Cedar Fair's 6th 301 ft tall swing ride.
Also adding a Dinosaur's Alive! walk-through attraction.

Kings Island
-- Waterpark re-branded 'Soak City'. New 650,000 gallon wave pool, new lazy river, new entrance, new amenities.

Morey's Piers
-- New Zamperla Kang-a-Bounce, new swinging ship "Riptide", new mat racer water slide, revamped lazy river. New lighting package on Giant Wheel.

Knott's Berry Farm
-- Nothing new for 2012. Looks more and more like 2013 will be the year for the long awaited Knott's megacoaster. Fingers crossed.

* This post was modified at 5/2/12 4:24:06 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: New For 2012 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/18/11 9:26:18 PM

I'm hoping KI doesn't tear down SoB. I'd like to be able to ride that coaster at least once. At worst could they just tear down some segments and keep parts like the 'rose bowl' in place? Probably easier to take it all down, but it would seem like such a waste if some segments could be incorporated into a new wood coaster.

Re: New For 2012: The List by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/19/11 9:14:00 AM

> Kings Island
> -- Diamondback will be two years old. Will 2012 be the year...

2012 will be the park's 40th anniversary, they'd better do something big!

Re: New For 2012: The List by drachen drachen Profile at 2/19/11 3:24:45 PM

> 2012 will be the park's 40th anniversary, they'd better do
> something big!

I can't help but think that somebody will build the U.S.'s first B&M "wing" coaster in 2012. Somebody like Cedar Point could build one. Kings Island could too, but I doubt they'd get one before CP.

For me, it's a real shame that Magic Mountain's X had so many problems in its early years. I would have loved to have seen that design take off, rather than scare off other parks.

I would think B&M's version will be more mechanically sound since the seats are fixed. They look like a lot of fun, and if CP were to get one, I will be there in 2012.

Re: New For 2012: The List by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/20/11 12:03:42 AM

I would think B&M's version will be more mechanically sound
> since the seats are fixed. They look like a lot of fun, and
> if CP were to get one, I will be there in 2012.

I second that emotion....

Re: New For 2012: The List by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/20/11 11:02:33 AM

> I would think B&M's version will be more mechanically
> sound
> since the seats are fixed. They look like a lot of fun, and
> if CP were to get one, I will be there in 2012.

> I second that emotion....

I third that emotion ;~)

Jen

Re: New For 2012: The List by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 2/20/11 1:41:27 PM

The thing with the parks in the US is that they got so many coasters already. I feel some of them have reached the point where adding a 20 millions $ ride is not going to increase attendance that much and they would need to remove another ride to keep operating and maintenance fees down. I expect smaller and more imaginative rides at the big corporate parks and its the smaller parks that will surprise us.

Re: New For 2012 by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 2/21/11 3:26:23 PM

I'm somewhat surprised that Cedar Point has gone this long without a major coaster addition but I'm also glad that they are adding new attractions that appeal to more broader range of guests.

I would not be surprised if they look closely at the B&M Wing Rider concept once it opens though I think it would be great at Kings Island. That kind of ride, mixed with the terrain towards the back of the park, would be rather sweet.

G-Dog

Re: New For 2012 by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 2/21/11 8:07:59 PM

I guess that I'm one of the few that's not going crazy over the Wing Rider concept. I wouldn't even compare a Wing Rider to a 4D coaster; The only thing that they have in common are a psuedo-similar seat alignment (4D's face backwards and WR's face forwards). That's it, nothing else is remotely similar. THE 4D's Zipper-like spinning seats (making unofficial inversions with those unique raven turns) have more unpredictability that the Wing Rider can only dream of; Ball coasters are a better comparsion to 4D's. Intamin's Wing Rider (Furious Baco) seemed pretty exciting with a high-speed launch (fastest coaster with inversion) to atleast make it stand out from other coaster types, then B&M basically dummied the concept down with the chain lift. WR's seems limited as far as what inversions can be done (with the corkscrew, zero-G roll, and inline twist so far). A B&M inverted seems way more versatile than a WR, and it has similar floorless roots. WR's seems like it's all looks and little versatility. I'll be very surprised to see a Wing Rider surge invading the U.S. anytime soon.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: New For 2012 by drachen drachen Profile at 2/22/11 11:16:55 AM

> I guess that I'm one of the few that's not going crazy over
> the Wing Rider concept. I wouldn't even compare a Wing
> Rider to a 4D coaster; The only thing that they have in
> common are a psuedo-similar seat alignment (4D's face
> backwards and WR's face forwards). That's it, nothing else
> is remotely similar.

I agree, and it's silly to call B&M's or Intamin's version '4-D', as the fourth dimension on Arrow's refers to the ability of the seats to rotate. I thought X was absolutely phenominal because of it.

However, the idea of riding a coaster with nothing above you or below you is a concept that I'm really excited to try again, and it would be very marketable to the GP. That's where B&M can deliver a great ride.

> Intamin's Wing Rider (Furious Baco) seemed pretty
> exciting with a high-speed launch (fastest coaster with
> inversion) to atleast make it stand out from other coaster
> types, then B&M basically dummied the concept down with the
> chain lift.

B&M became known for their superbly engineered layouts and for creating/perfecting new ways to ride, whether it was four across seating, inverted trains, stand-up trains, flying trains, or floorless trains. They are good at it, and their rides are the most reliable out there. I think it will be more of the same with the Wing Rider design.

Intamin's version didn't exactly take off either, for whatever reason. Maybe the industry has moved on from launched coasters. B&M is now providing a more traditional steel layout with their Wing Rider design. Combine that with B&M's reliability, and it will be very attractive to U.S. parks.

> WR's seems limited as far as what inversions
> can be done (with the corkscrew, zero-G roll, and inline
> twist so far). A B&M inverted seems way more versatile than
> a WR, and it has similar floorless roots. WR's seems like
> it's all looks and little versatility.

I'll reserve judgement until I ride one. I can see the Wing Riders doing Immelmans or diving loops. Inversions aren't everything for me.

> I'll be very
> surprised to see a Wing Rider surge invading the U.S.
> anytime soon.

I wouldn't call it a surge like the inverted coaster had. But I would expect to see a handful of them show up over the next few years, maybe on the level of the floorless installations.

SFMM won't be getting one anytime soon, since they have X2. But I can totally see parks like Cedar Point, Kings Island, Kings Dominion, the Busch Parks, and several Six Flags parks like Great Adventure, Great America, Georgia, and Texas getting one. Maybe eventually "smaller" parks with the capital dollars like Knott's, Hershey, and Dorney as well.

Bottom line for me is that I loved X, not just because of the innovation, but because it was fun to ride a coaster in that way - totally free-flying. I've been waiting a long time to ride another ride similar to it and closer to home.

In a perfect world, SFGAdv would build an Arrow/S&S 4-D coaster. But that's not happening. If B&M can provide a ride like X, and make it reliable, then I'm all for it.

Re: New For 2012 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/22/11 12:26:49 PM

>(Furious Baco)

There REALLY should be an "N" on the end of that....

Mike

Re: New For 2012 by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 2/22/11 2:03:59 PM

I would expect the SeaWorld parks to eventually get Wingriders from B&M. Merlin in Europe are building the first two (Gardaland and Thorpe Park in 2012) and Blackstone owns both Merlin and SeaWorld.

Another innovation this year from B&M is the smaller Dive Machine that Merlin purchased for Heide Park in Germany. Instead of the huge 8 and 10 across cars, it use 6 across cars in 3 rows and that way, the track doesn't have to be as wide and the layout could be a lot closer to the regular B&M coasters. Here's a picture of the new trains: http://www.rcdb.com/9097.htm?p=33589 .

If Krake works out well, will we see more affordable B&M Dive Coaster in the US?

Re: New For 2012 by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 2/22/11 10:33:50 PM

I think we'll see a few B&M Wing Riders as not many parks are going to want to invest in a full S&S 4-D. With the new one being built in China that makes only three in the world so while it's a ride I wish was closer to my neck of the woods I'll never see one. The Wing Rider would be the closest to it and seems like something unique that CF would consider adding to Cedar Point.

While I'm keeping my eye on the further development of B&M's new coaster style, my eye is actually on the Intamin ZacSpin. If Green Lantern at SFMM is a huge hit, and I think it will be, I can see more of these added to other SF parks. Something tells me SFGAm could get one - it would easily fit in the spot Splashwater Falls used to be - plus they are long overdue a significant sized coaster since Superman was built.

I can somewhat see CP getting a ZacSpin. Would have fit in Demon Drop's old spot and offer a ride experience they don't offer right now. While many may scoff at the idea due to the capacity of the ZacSpin you have to remember the lower capacity issue didn't stop them from adding Wicked Twister.

G-Dog

Re: New For 2012 by