Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Size of people to ride roller coasters

Size of people to ride roller coasters

god_lal

Posted:
12/13/10 at
7:16:21 AM

Does anyone know what percentile size of people the roller coaster designers/engineers design the coasters for? i know there are height restrictions but i want to know min/max width, percentiles of male and female users, max shoulder width, max waist size... etc

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/13/10 7:28:09 AM

> Does anyone know what percentile size of people the roller
> coaster designers/engineers design the coasters for? i know
> there are height restrictions but i want to know min/max
> width, percentiles of male and female users, max shoulder
> width, max waist size... etc

Who's this Max guy?

The websites of coaster manufacturers..Intamin, Bolliger and Mabillard, etc..might be a good source for those kinds of stats..but hopefully there will be a few on here who can shed some light.

Mike

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by god_lal at 12/13/10 7:39:17 AM

> Who's this Max guy?

Max means maximum lol, thanks for your advice, i'll have a look on there now :)

Jamie

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/13/10 12:59:25 PM

It's pretty obvious who roller coasters are designed for - children and teens - who at that age are generally not overweight and thus don't have issues with rides accommodating them.

A ride designer isn't going to design a ride for a 40-year-old male who is 50 pounds overweight. It makes no sense and it even defies the safety spiel.

Your also not going to find the answer to this question since there are no standards. Each manufacturer uses there own unique designs.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/13/10 3:05:25 PM

50 inch waist on GCII and most. However intamin is quite lower. B&M big boys are 50 as well where normal is 46.

However there are other factors that will not allow some to fit those designs such as thigh size, Breast Size, Hip size and even long legs can keep people from riding some designs.. And there are also people much bigger able to ride due to the placement of their weight.

Hope this helps.
Chuck

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 12/13/10 5:27:11 PM

> Who's this Max guy?

How quickly you forget! I'll send you pictures. Check your email tonight.

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 12/13/10 6:56:05 PM

Chuck, that's interesting that you say 46-inch waist for a standard B&M restraint.

I'm 6' tall and have a 35" waist, but the restraint on the B&M inverts is uncomfortable and even at times will prevent me from taking a deep breath if it is locked beyond one click. I've found the OTSRs on the inverts to be very restrictive.

This is the only train I've ever struggled to get seated in as an adult.

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by alpengeistno3 at 12/13/10 11:51:15 PM

Well, I can give you the Busch Garden's company line and reality of my experience at parks this past year.

Busch Gardens used to post Alpengeist's size requirement as "guests with chest measurements approaching 52" may be able to be accommodated in rows 4/5" (the big boy seats) Apollo's stated that guests with 48" inch waists may not be accommodated (sorry, I never actually worked on Apollo, so I can't remember the exact wording of the sign).

Now, as a guest who has expanded my girth since those days of working at Busch, I can tell you that the only way to know exactly whether you will fit in the train is to try the seat. Not the test seat out front, which are often adjusted to be less forgiving than the ones in use on the trains. The measurement/adjustments are made by men, not machines, so they are not consistent throughout every seat of all the trains being used. Sure, it is easy to set each ratchet at 2 or 3 clicks, but there can be a lot of play between the seatbelts/ratchets that maintenance simply does not have the time to adjust them ALL to be the same.

On FOF, for instance, there is as much as a 1 inch difference between to two seats in the back row of train 1 and train 2. Also, the foot guards in the front of the each unit (car) can easily disqualify a person with longer legs that could easily fit in the back seat which has no guards.

On Nitro, I can pull the lap bar and secure myself easily in row 9 of any train, but row 8, the pawls do not latch in the same place, so I needed 2 operators to unsuccessfully try to get the all clear from the computer (this was on back to back rides on a slow morning.)

Talon, the rightmost seatbelt of row 8 is about a 1/2 inch longer than the same seat on train 1 and the other seats in the row (yes, I walked around 4 times to try all the end seats because I was sick of being sent to row 4 to ride. And the ride ops wouldn't let me just try each one on the platform either since they did not believe that there was anyway that the seatbelts could be different lengths. Imagine their shock when I finally got in the last end of the same train they just kicked me off.)

Moral of the story, if you take the walk of shame on one seat, do not be afraid to try another one. You would be surprised by how much of a difference there really is.

Paul

By the way, of all the B&M's I have rode this year, a guy on the Alpengeist crew was the only one who knew (and was honest about) the seat belts being different lengths. He actually helped me find the right train, which is difficult because Busch moved the train numbers to be displayed only on the unloading side, whereas all other Beemers have it clearly marked on both sides of the linkage.

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/10 7:32:46 AM

There are three generations of inverted trains for B&M The first Gen being BTR's I have no chance of ever getting in them. If I had to guess somewhere around 42 inch waist max however chest and shoulder size have something to do with it. The last newest Invert I sat in was Fire and ICE at a 50 inch waist I could not sit in the norm but had no problems with the Big Boys I also barely could ride the MF trains at that.

Chuck

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/14/10 7:42:53 AM

> Well, I can give you the Busch Garden's company line and
> reality of my experience at parks this past year.

> Now, as a guest who has expanded my girth since those days
> of working at Busch, I can tell you that the only way to
> know exactly whether you will fit in the train is to try
> the seat. Not the test seat out front, which are often
> adjusted to be less forgiving than the ones in use on the
> trains. The measurement/adjustments are made by men, not
> machines, so they are not consistent throughout every seat
> of all the trains being used. Sure, it is easy to set each
> ratchet at 2 or 3 clicks, but there can be a lot of play
> between the seatbelts/ratchets that maintenance simply does
> not have the time to adjust them ALL to be the same.

Well said, The test and actual seats can be a lot different

> On FOF, for instance, there is as much as a 1 inch
> difference between to two seats in the back row of train 1
> and train 2. Also, the foot guards in the front of the each
> unit (car) can easily disqualify a person with longer legs
> that could easily fit in the back seat which has no guards.

This is a fact. The FOF trains and I suspect about every Premier launcher are different floor board heights from front to rear, there are also several belt lengths different on the trains sometimes from the seat next to you. This is the Go/no go test on a premier.

> On Nitro, I can pull the lap bar and secure myself easily
> in row 9 of any train, but row 8, the pawls do not latch in
> the same place, so I needed 2 operators to unsuccessfully
> try to get the all clear from the computer (this was on
> back to back rides on a slow morning.)

Nitro is weird, back row was rommiest

> Talon, the rightmost seatbelt of row 8 is about a 1/2 inch
> longer than the same seat on train 1 and the other seats in
> the row (yes, I walked around 4 times to try all the end
> seats because I was sick of being sent to row 4 to ride.
> And the ride ops wouldn't let me just try each one on the
> platform either since they did not believe that there was
> anyway that the seatbelts could be different lengths.
> Imagine their shock when I finally got in the last end of
> the same train they just kicked me off.)

I've noticed later in the season on several rides that the belts are longer, Its meant riding rides like Drop tower in the fall were not able to be ridden next spring, All because of new belts.

> Moral of the story, if you take the walk of shame on one
> seat, do not be afraid to try another one. You would be
> surprised by how much of a difference there really is.

Hell i can ride almost all the S&S drop/shot towers and not HW's

> Paul

> By the way, of all the B&M's I have rode this year, a guy
> on the Alpengeist crew was the only one who knew (and was
> honest about) the seat belts being different lengths. He
> actually helped me find the right train, which is difficult
> because Busch moved the train numbers to be displayed only
> on the unloading side, whereas all other Beemers have it
> clearly marked on both sides of the linkage.

Note, It seems to me that Cedar Fair takes their saftey one click further than all over the parks on almost every type of ride, To the point of having seatbelts on the Arrows, scramblers ect.

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by alpengeistno3 at 12/14/10 7:45:44 PM

> There are three generations of inverted trains for B&M The
> first Gen being BTR's I have no chance of ever getting in
> them. If I had to guess somewhere around 42 inch waist max
> however chest and shoulder size have something to do with
> it. The last newest Invert I sat in was Fire and ICE at a
> 50 inch waist I could not sit in the norm but had no
> problems with the Big Boys I also barely could ride the MF
> trains at that.

> Chuck

I was going to bring up the Batmen, but figured I had provided enough examples. I was able to get in Batman with a minor push from the op, where at SFOG, I was able to buckle the seatbelt on my own with no problem. Meanwhile, on Bizarro, it took 2 ops straining to get the belt to buckle (it was less than an eighth of an inch from clearing, but had no give whatsoever.)

I know Georgia's Batman was built many years after the 1st batch that Six Flags ordered, but it is interesting how two otherwise identical rides had such a disparaging difference in seatbelt length.

Paul

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 12/14/10 8:52:22 PM

Meanwhile,
> on Bizarro, it took 2 ops straining to get the belt to
> buckle (it was less than an eighth of an inch from
> clearing, but had no give whatsoever.)

Which Bizarro?

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by skc2000 at 12/15/10 9:37:58 PM

I am not sure how much my waist is but considering that my weight is 280 lbs & i am 5 feet 11 inches tall i know my waist is pretty big.My home park SFGADV i have been unable to ride El Toro for 3 years allready.Batman the ride i was able to just barely squeeze in on batman the ride but i had no problems fitting into any of the other coasters there including nitro.At least i was able to do nitro otherwise it wouldn,t have been worth it for me to even visit the park if not for nitro.Looks like i have to learn to lose some weight so that i can be skinny enough to get on El Toro again.I was able to do El Toro the first year it opened up in 2006 but i was too big to do it since then.I know it,s not easy but i am the type of guy that likes to eat alot.Looks like i will have to decide what to do so that i can be skinny enough to do El Toro again.

skc2000.

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by alpengeistno3 at 12/15/10 11:56:45 PM

> Meanwhile,
> on Bizarro, it took 2 ops straining to get the belt to
> buckle (it was less than an eighth of an inch from
> clearing, but had no give whatsoever.)

> Which Bizarro?

I thought I said it. (or implied it in my 1st response)

Gradv.

Paul

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 12/16/10 9:25:29 AM

> I am not sure how much my waist is but considering that my
> weight is 280 lbs & i am 5 feet 11 inches tall i know
> my waist is pretty big.My home park SFGADV i have been
> unable to ride El Toro for 3 years allready.Batman the ride
> i was able to just barely squeeze in on batman the ride but
> i had no problems fitting into any of the other coasters
> there including nitro.At least i was able to do nitro
> otherwise it wouldn,t have been worth it for me to even
> visit the park if not for nitro.Looks like i have to learn
> to lose some weight so that i can be skinny enough to get
> on El Toro again.I was able to do El Toro the first year it
> opened up in 2006 but i was too big to do it since then.I
> know it,s not easy but i am the type of guy that likes to
> eat alot.Looks like i will have to decide what to do so
> that i can be skinny enough to do El Toro again.

> skc2000.

I was almost that exact size in 2008, Could not do BTR no way in hell, Could get green light on Toro but not belt.

Everything else was relatively easy although Medusa had received smaller belts than in visit. I barely rode it.

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by alpengeistno3 at 12/16/10 4:31:47 PM

> I was almost that exact size in 2008, Could not do BTR no
> way in hell, Could get green light on Toro but not belt.

> Everything else was relatively easy although Medusa had
> received smaller belts than in visit. I barely rode it.
>

Hey Chuck,
Next year, try train A, back row, unloading side. I got in with only a slight shove from the ride op. Medusa, I had got in one train and got kicked into the big boy on the other one, but I forgot to check which train it was. I'll be sure to keep a list next year.

Paul

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by skc2000 at 12/16/10 5:04:50 PM

> I am not sure how much my waist is but considering that my
> weight is 280 lbs & i am 5 feet 11 inches tall i know
> my waist is pretty big.My home park SFGADV i have been
> unable to ride El Toro for 3 years allready.Batman the ride
> i was able to just barely squeeze in on batman the ride but
> i had no problems fitting into any of the other coasters
> there including nitro.At least i was able to do nitro
> otherwise it wouldn,t have been worth it for me to even
> visit the park if not for nitro.Looks like i have to learn
> to lose some weight so that i can be skinny enough to get
> on El Toro again.I was able to do El Toro the first year it
> opened up in 2006 but i was too big to do it since then.I
> know it,s not easy but i am the type of guy that likes to
> eat alot.Looks like i will have to decide what to do so
> that i can be skinny enough to do El Toro again.

> skc2000.

> I was almost that exact size in 2008, Could not do BTR no
> way in hell, Could get green light on Toro but not belt.

> Everything else was relatively easy although Medusa had
> received smaller belts than in visit. I barely rode it.
>

When i did El Toro they refused to let me ride because i was unable to buckle the seat belt.They tried to assist me but i was too big & the belt did not buckle.The rule is that if you are unable to buckle the belt then you can not ride the coaster.BTR i was able to fit in at the very last inch but i was able to buckle the belt on Batman The Ride.

When i rode chang back in 2001(my last time at SFKK)i was much skinnier back then but i think that i should be able to do green lantern next year at SFGADV because i was able to do Riddlers Revenge a little over a year ago in july 2009 unless Riddlers Revenge has different restraints than chang/green lantern.

skc2000.

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by alpengeistno3 at 12/16/10 10:42:48 PM

> When i rode chang back in 2001(my last time at SFKK)i was
> much skinnier back then but i think that i should be able
> to do green lantern next year at SFGADV because i was able
> to do Riddlers Revenge a little over a year ago in july
> 2009 unless Riddlers Revenge has different restraints than
> chang/green lantern.

> skc2000.

I was able to ride Georgia Scorcher with a slight nudge, but it isn't about the restraints. It's all about how long they make those seatbelts (which were put in after the ride had operated for several seasons without them.)

Paul

Re: Size of people to ride roller coasters by frontrow frontrow Profile at 12/18/10 11:08:15 PM

I was at Cedar Point October 31st with a size 36 inch waist and barely fit on Top Trill and Millieneim. These parks should post waist and shoulder restrictions before you drive hours upon hours and spend your hard earned money. Until then I guess I have to crash diet all winter so I can enjoy coasters this coming season.