Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Mystery Coaster

Mystery Coaster

EJD1984

Posted:
11/26/10 at
11:22:09 AM

I've been looking for information on a roller coaster I saw years ago on television. I believe it was in the Tournament of Roses Parade, around late 80s, or early 90s.

It was a small working steel coaster, with a loop, and 4 to 6 people riding it continuous throughout the parade.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks

Re: Mystery Coaster by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 11/26/10 1:54:04 PM

The float to feature a roller coaster was the one from Cal Poly Universities called "Seaside Amusement". This float appeared in the 120th Tournament of Roses Parade in 2009. It featured a working roller coaster among other amusement devices, but no riders.

In addition, the 2003 Rose Parade float from Cal Poly also featured a working roller coaster and in 1998 the city of Downey had a working roller coaster on their float called "Rollerbunnies".

I don't ever recall a roller coaster with riders in this parade. It's unrealistic to put a looping coaster that one could ride on a parade float.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Mystery Coaster by Rworden at 1/1/14 11:48:03 AM
I am also looking for footage of that same coaster. You're not crazy, it was a working coaster with 4 people riding, a loop, and they rode it throughout the parade. I think I was still in high school, which would have put it sometime in the mid-80's.

I watched it on TV, I was amazed, it's burned into my memory, I came to this site looking for some visual documentation of it. I'll be back if I can find anything.

Happy New Year!

Re: Mystery Coaster by EJD1984 at 1/1/14 12:12:24 PM
THANK YOU!!! After all of these years, someone has finally confirmed I didn't imagine it.

I'm still on the lookout for any information. I've been looking a lot on Google Print in a lot of old magazines that's been scanned - Popular Science, Popular Mechanics.........etc.

If you find and, please let me know.

* This post was modified at 1/1/14 12:14:42 PM *

Re: Mystery Coaster by Rworden at 1/1/14 12:35:37 PM
Well, great news. It was the American Honda float in the 1982 parade. It actually had 3 cars, after the lift, it made a u turn before going through the vertical loop, then it went to a spiral before going back to the chain lift.

I did manage to find a really terrible replay of the entire ABC broadcast on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2TSLhrrJQ where the float appears around the 1:18:00 mark. I'm searching for better video.

Happy new year

Looping coaster in 1982 Rose Parade

Re: Mystery Coaster by EJD1984 at 1/1/14 3:39:28 PM
Rworden said:

Well, great news. It was the American Honda float in the 1982 parade. It actually had 3 cars, after the lift, it made a u turn before going through the vertical loop, then it went to a spiral before going back to the chain lift.

I did manage to find a really terrible replay of the entire ABC broadcast on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2TSLhrrJQ where the float appears around the 1:18:00 mark. I'm searching for better video.

Happy new year

Thank You So Much!!!! :-D

I was 16yo when this aired (boy I feel old..lol)

Now I'm wonder what ever happen to it? Something this unique I really couldn't see being scrapped after the parade.

Would love to have it (or a copy) in my backyard.

Re: Mystery Coaster by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 1/2/14 11:55:25 AM
You peaked my interest with this post. I had to check out the Youtube video. The Quality is not bad and they spent quite a bit of time showing the roller coaster. Looks like they had an extra set on riders? Thanks for digging this up. Loved looking at the old TV commercials.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Mystery Coaster by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/5/14 2:47:38 AM
Boy, those Rose Parade floats were very attention grabbing and edgy to say the least. Everything from that neat coaster, to a same sex marriage float, to a Sea World float in which protesters made an attempt to blockade it. The people of Cali are definitely known for being trend-starters. :)

* This post was modified at 1/5/14 2:48:22 AM *

Re: Mystery Coaster by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 1/7/14 9:30:21 PM
Overbanked said:

Boy, those Rose Parade floats were very attention grabbing and edgy to say the least. Everything from that neat coaster, to a same sex marriage float, to a Sea World float in which protesters made an attempt to blockade it. The people of Cali are definitely known for being trend-starters. :)

First time in years that we didn't watch the Rose Parade. The coaster wasn't in this year's parade but they've had some great floats in the past. This years parade was far to political for our likes, so we didn't bother. Kinda sad really.