Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > I need to talk to a roller coaster expert

I need to talk to a roller coaster expert

yikserk

Posted:
11/18/10 at
2:03:37 AM

Hi,

I am a year 7 student and urgently need your help. I am doing a project and need to talk to an expert ASAP. My project is about roller coasters and i havve some question to be answered. If you think you can help please answer the questions below:

1. How long does the average roller coaster last for before it will rust or weaken and have to be destroyed?

2. How long does a roller coaster take to build?

3. What do you need to do before you can build a roller coaster?

4. How many roller coasters are in the world?

5. What is different about roller coasters then any other ride?

If you could answer these question ASAP, PLEASE DO i need this for a project TOMORROW but i can hand it up later but i want a good mark. please help.
thanks
yikserk

Re: I need to talk to a roller coaster expert by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 11/18/10 8:58:58 AM

> Hi,

> I am a year 7 student and urgently need your help. I am
> doing a project and need to talk to an expert ASAP. My
> project is about roller coasters and i havve some question
> to be answered. If you think you can help please answer the
> questions below:

First off, we're not experts here. We are enthusiasts, so if you are looking for true experts, then I suggest you keep looking. However, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

> 1. How long does the average roller coaster last for before
> it will rust or weaken and have to be destroyed?

This is really a difficult question. Parts and track are replaced often to ensure coasters will last, so there is no real average timeline for a coaster life. It just depends on if the ride becomes too expensive to constantly repair and the park decides to scrap it, but for the right $ the ride could technically live on.

> 2. How long does a roller coaster take to build?

Depends on the type, but most parks begin land clearing about a year before the final product is finished and opened. But some coasters take much longer than others due to many different conditions, like climate, the type of coaster, and the amount of work goes into themeing.

> 3. What do you need to do before you can build a roller
> coaster?

A whoooooole lot of work is done before the first concrete footer is pored. Everything about the ride is precisely planned and engineered before construction starts. Then, depending on the type of coaster, each track piece is fabricated and trucked to the park. For traditional wooden coasters, all the track building is done on-site.

> 4. How many roller coasters are in the world?

According to the census section of rcdb.com, there are 2,502 roller coasters currently operating in the world. There is a margin of error in that number, as there are some unknown coasters (mostly tiny coasters that travel in carnivals and such.)

> 5. What is different about roller coasters then any other
> ride?

Not really sure what you mean here.

-Josh

Re: I need to talk to a roller coaster expert by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 11/18/10 5:25:07 PM

1. Like Rollercoasterfreak20 said, it is a very difficult question. Coasters are inspected daily before park opening. Rusty coaster parts can be replaced with brand new parts but i dont really know how long. If i could guesstimate, the average coaster part needs at least a year for it to rust.

2. Well usualy roller coasters are built during the winter time. Most roller coasters take about 5-6 months to be built.

3. Much planning and effort goes into building a roller coaster. According to one of my roller coaster books, the process goes like this.

THE THEME PARK
The idea first starts with the park CEO who wants a new roller coaster at the park. They get hight restrictions from the city the park is in and then they contact...

THE DESIGNER
These people basicly make the design. (hence the name) They make the roller coaster as cool and awesome as possible. They make sketches of the design which can take from one month to one year. Then they ask...

THE ENGINEER
This person makes sure the roller coaster is safe for the park. They do all the math and work with the designer to make a final copy of the coaster blueprints. Then they work with...

THE CONSTRUCTION CREW
This is where the coaster is made and comes to life. They add track, stations, lights, paint, queue area, deatails and now you've got a roller coaster, But before it opens you should call...

THE INSPECTORS
These people can be anyone from hired inspectors, enthusiasts, the builders of the ride, or the park owners and their families. They ride it for a while until the roller coaster is finally ready to open.

4. According to rcdb.com there are 2,502 roller coasters on earth, 2,335 steel and 167 wood

5. If you mean the differenc between a thrill ride and a roler coaster than i can name a few. Thrill rides are rides that are in one spot and do not run on a fixed track. Roller coasters run on a fixed track.

By the way your lucky. I never got to show my roller coaster knowledge in school. *sigh*

Anyway good luck on your project.

-Tom

* This Post Has Been Modified *