Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Google Earth 3-D Coasters

Google Earth 3-D Coasters

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
11/6/10 at
12:16:42 PM

Has anyone checked this out? Google Earth has a 3-D buildings function that makes animated buildings pop up three dimensionally in major cities.

If you zoom in very close, the entire image tilts so that you can "fly" around the cities. It's pretty cool.

Well, the park world is beginning to be included. Now, I haven't checked every major park in the country, but I've noticed a number of rides and coasters are starting to pop up.

The rides include:

- Superman and Tower at SFMM
- The entire Santa Monica Pier
- Parts of California Adventre, but no Disneyland for some reason
- Most of Disney World
- Hersheyparks Kissing Tower
- Kingda Ka, Parachute tower, and Superman's station, and some odds and ends at SFGAdv
- Top Thrill Dragster and Raptor at Cedar Point
- Cyclone and old parachute tower at Coney Island

How cool would it be to able to fly around a virtual real amusement park on Google Earth?

I'll keep checking other parks out. Are there any more I haven't found?

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 11/6/10 12:47:41 PM

Found two more...

- Wicked, Ferris Wheel, Rocket, Sling Shot at Lagoon
- Everything in Las Vegas

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/6/10 9:46:26 PM

> Found two more...

> - Wicked, Ferris Wheel, Rocket, Sling Shot at Lagoon
> - Everything in Las Vegas

OK, because you said you can see KK I had to download Google earth and try it out. That is awesome! I can see this can become very addicting....

Jen

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 11/9/10 5:21:56 PM

I wonder who creates these things. Does Google commission parks to do it? Does a park pay Google to have some one on their staff do it?

Either way, I agree. It's pretty dang cool. Regarding SFGAdv, it looks like Superman is in the works, considering the station has been created.

And Raptor at Cedar Point is new from the last time I checked it out. Before, it was just Dragster. It seems that this whole thing is a work in progress.

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 11/9/10 7:49:28 PM

Regarding SFGAdv, it looks like Superman is in the works, considering the station has been created.

???

Mike

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 11/9/10 8:16:40 PM

> ???

Did you check it out? Someone is working on Superman, since its station is sitting there.

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 11/9/10 8:57:38 PM

Anyone can make and submit 3d models to Google Earth. I'm pretty sure they only accept Google Sketchup files, but I really don't know. But yeah, no one commissions it. It's just random people who want to make the models. That's why models can vary so much in quality (for example, Raptor vs Top Thrill.)

-Josh

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 11/10/10 1:39:35 PM

> Anyone can make and submit 3d models to Google Earth. I'm
> pretty sure they only accept Google Sketchup files, but I
> really don't know. But yeah, no one commissions it. It's
> just random people who want to make the models. That's why
> models can vary so much in quality (for example, Raptor vs
> Top Thrill.)

> -Josh

I actually just realized that, as I clicked on the 3-D Superman station at SFGAdv. It looks like this is completely free and open to anyone who wants to take a crack at it.

I have to imagine that some parks have someone in IT working on building 3-D images of their parks for marketing purposes.

And I agree that Raptor looks a bit shabby. The lay-out is correct, but the detail is pretty poor compared to Dragster. It doesn't look easy to do.

Just noticed - the top of the old Scream Machine loop in the safari has also been created. I think that's just about the coolest thing I've seen yet.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/11/10 6:23:34 PM

> Just noticed - the top of the old Scream Machine loop in
> the safari has also been created. I think that's just about
> the coolest thing I've seen yet.

Do you mean the Lightnin' Loops loop in the safari? Pretty sure that's what it is from. I don't think it was from the GASM.

Jen

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 11/11/10 7:54:40 PM

> Do you mean the Lightnin' Loops loop in the safari? Pretty
> sure that's what it is from. I don't think it was from the
> GASM.

I guess I don't really know for sure, but I thought the tops of GASM's loops were replaced at some point after the ride opened, with one of them being left in the safari for the monkeys to climb on.

I think both Lightning Loops rides found new homes, which means they still needed their loop-tops. Those rides wouldn't be very fun without them.

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 11/11/10 11:00:17 PM

> I guess I don't really know for sure, but I thought the
> tops of GASM's loops were replaced at some point after the
> ride opened, with one of them being left in the safari for
> the monkeys to climb on.

> I think both Lightning Loops rides found new homes, which
> means they still needed their loop-tops. Those rides
> wouldn't be very fun without them.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Hmmm. That's true that LL went to other parks now that you mention it. Funny, I always thought it was from LL!

Jen

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 11/23/10 7:28:49 PM

It looks like Herhseypark and Great Adventure are moving forward with their 3-D images. Hersheypark Arena is up, and there's a very detailed sausage stand next to the Superman dome at SFGAdv.

Also, to be noted, SFGAdv must have a new satellite image, sinse GASM is now a pile of dirt.

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 2/8/11 7:10:52 PM

In an effort to have a reference point for all of the Google Earth 3-D rides, I will list two more that I found:

- Eifel Tower, Drop Tower, and fountains at Kings Island

- Look out tower, Superman Drop Tower at Six Flags Over Texas

= Look out tower, drop tower, carousel at Elitch Gardens.

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 2/15/11 12:23:12 PM

In addition, and I guess this would be the appropriate place to mention this, Hersheypark has Google's 'Street View' photos on all of it's paths. So, you can take a virtual stroll through the entire park, which I think is pretty cool.

You would think other parks would do this too.

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 2/15/11 5:20:15 PM

> In addition, and I guess this would be the appropriate
> place to mention this, Hersheypark has Google's 'Street
> View' photos on all of it's paths. So, you can take a
> virtual stroll through the entire park, which I think is
> pretty cool.

> You would think other parks would do this too.

holy are you srs? about to check this out RIGHT NOW.

edit: awesome! man great bear needs paint!

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 5/19/11 3:26:14 PM

I was very happy to see that as I was looking at the land being cleared at Cedar Point for a rumored attraction next year, I notice that my favorite coaster, Magnum XL-200, is now available for 3-D viewing.

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 6/13/11 6:02:08 PM

Some changes to Google Earth...

- Superman at Magic Mountain is no longer there in 3-D, maybe because of the change in color scheme.

- Power Tower at Cedar Point has been built.

- Port Aventura is very 3-D, with Dragon Kahn, Furious Baco, and Stampida all in 3-D. This will lead me to searching parks all over the world. I hadn't even considered it before. More to come, I'm sure...

Re: Google Earth 3-D Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 7/11/13 3:23:20 PM
I was just looking at Great Adventure and noticed that El Toro is now three dimensional on Google Earth...
drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur