Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open

Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open

Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile

Posted:
11/4/10 at
12:06:19 PM

Formula Rossa at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi is now open.

Here is a POV of the new ride. Who's going first?

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by RobLec RobLec Profile at 11/4/10 1:36:59 PM

Well, the launch looks awesome, but once that's over with, it doesn't seem to be all that fast. Maybe it could use a mid-course launch (maybe with locomotive sound effects? -grin)

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 11/4/10 2:58:37 PM

I think it's hard to judge speed on a video. If the coaster only went 75mph, the POV would probably look nearly the same. It's easier to judge speed on video from a side vantage point looking at the vehicle pass by. Overall, it's not a very impressive layout and I wonder if the goggles are really necessary or just a gimmick for show.

Since I'm not a Ferrari fan per say I don't think Ferrari World would be enough of a draw to make the trip to Dubai.

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 11/4/10 3:30:06 PM

While it certainly looks fun, it does seem to take the various hills at a slow speed. But, like Eric said, it's hard to judge. The only way to know for sure, is to ride it, and that will probably never happen for me, so who knows?

-Josh

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by hyperrider hyperrider Profile at 11/4/10 4:23:20 PM

Take another look at the launch. As soon as the train finishes launching there are dozens of brake fins on the first hill. This is what is causing the slower ride. Looks like Intamin has had a track record as of recent of designing rides that are too much for the human body.

Jason

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 11/4/10 6:04:54 PM

In this case I suspect it wasn't so much Intamin's design as it was the buyers budget that resulted in the trim brakes after the launch. You accelerate a roller coaster train to 150 mph and then what do you do with all of that speed?

Usually you'd send the train up a giant hill or tower just like Top Thrill Dragster or Kingda Ka, but the problem is that enormous tower is also very costly. You can't just send the train over a short hill or the riders will feel like they're being ejected.

The circuit for Kingda Ka and Top Thrill Dragster isn't very long. It's half the length of most hypercoasters, but yet the price tag on the attraction is more than those other mile-long coasters. Most of the cost is in the steel tower.

Since this is Ferrari World it seems the whole point of Formula Rossa is the launch and the rest of the layout is just a bonus.

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by chipcoaster at 11/10/10 11:42:57 AM

I would rather see a long layout like this than a Launch/Tophat/Brakes that ends before you can even sneeze! Although, I would agree that a second launch would be nice.

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 11/11/10 1:08:49 AM

I agree. Not a slam on Kinda Ka, but it's just the launch, top hat, and hill. Not exactly 'great'. Sure it's marketed for the launch and the height, but I'm sure most of us coaster fans would like more in a ride than 'gimicks'. This ride seems very promising.

Though I probably won't be able to afford the flight there, I would take a ride on it if they built something like that here in the US.

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 11/11/10 2:24:58 AM

I was tempted to fly to Abu Dhabi to try this ride (and the 4D dark ride in the park), but the UAE made my mind for me. They are now requiring visas for canadians looking to visit the UAE and I sure am not going to be surrendering my passport for processing to those guys!

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/11/10 5:21:08 PM

...and critics of MF say that all it has is long gradual curves and speed. I'm not one of those critics BTW (MF also has multiple tunnels, overbanks, and a great first drop). Hopefully Formula Rossa atleast has some decent air on those hills.

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 11/11/10 5:47:32 PM

Amazing.....im speechless

what a launch!

-SFGAman

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 11/12/10 4:44:31 AM

The high speed banked curves would be intense. That is a grand feature of KD's Intimidator. Beyond those the ride looks pretty tame and the hills hardly a thrill.

Mikey Mad

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 11/12/10 5:24:30 PM

> The high speed banked curves would be intense. That is a
> grand feature of KD's Intimidator.

Yeah but I-305's track has S-curves (switching banked transitions) and the replaced first turn had positive-G's. IMO Formula Rossa track is more like MF's with the long gradual non-switching smooth turns. Unfortunately FR could have both of our worst case scenarios, uneventful hills, and relatively boring and very long gradual turns. FR's gradual turns make MF's look like hairpins.

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by JetMech JetMech Profile at 4/3/12 7:36:33 PM
Looks like the turns are pretty wide so why decelerate it to the mid 60's MPH? Other full circuit coasters are in the low 90's MPH with tighter turns..

Anyway, as far as launches go Dodonpa has to be the ultimate to me. Over 100 MPH's in less than 2 seconds was awesome.

Re: Formula Rossa- World's Fastest Roller Coaster Now Open by sharijono at 4/12/12 4:03:48 PM
Guys and girls,

Check out my own, amateur, non commercial POV of this ride, filmed about a year and a half ago...

It gives you an idea of what this ride really feels like... Camera was held in my own hands and not mounted as in many other POVs...

POV of Formula Rossa

* This post was modified at 4/12/12 4:07:26 PM *