Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hersheypark Plans for 2012

Hersheypark Plans for 2012

kdleader kdleader Profile

Posted:
8/31/10 at
5:51:36 PM

The link below contains an article that was in a local paper just over a week ago. All signs point to a new coaster (212 foot height requirement and 32 supports within the pond alone).

http://www.ldnews.com/ci_15826822

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 8/31/10 7:11:10 PM

OH MAN, this is gonna be goooooood.

I'm hoping B&M but they have Intamin's there already, maybe they are sticking with what they know. Maybe something like Goliath at Walibi World.

http://rcdb.com/1565.htm

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by hyperrider hyperrider Profile at 8/31/10 7:28:52 PM

I was just reading about this on Screamscape. Here's what they have to say;
http://www.screamscape.com/html/hersheypark.htm

Land Survey;
http://www.screamscape.com/html/hersheypark_0.htm

I agree, I hope it is something like Goliath, that'd be awesome! If so, they would be filling the only void that park has.

Jason

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by Franchise at 8/31/10 7:46:38 PM

To be honest I'm actually going to be very dissapointed if this isn't a hyper with some decent length. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Hershey and enjoy their coaster collection, but they desperately need something longer than 3400'(Length of LR, which is the longest in the park). Also, I'm very surprised on how many people would prefer a B&M over an Intamin. I mean I do understand the reliablity difference between the two companies, but the ride experience is much more thrilling with Intamin.(Better airtime and way more out of control). With B&M you get a more comfortable seat, but they feel soooooo IN control. Not that I would mind a B&M, but would prefer an Intamin. I am just hoping regardless of the manufacturers, it's a stereotypical hyper with airtime hills and not a shortened version with an abundance of twists and turns, because Hershey is loaded with medium length "twisty" coasters. A nice, long out & back loaded with airtime hills would complement their collection perfectly.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 9/1/10 12:58:56 AM

B&M has a 4per row layout over Intamin's usual 2 per row. So that means more people can ride at a time and can move up the line more quickly using less trains. As much as I did enjoy I-305 at KD, it was disappointing when I had to 'brace myself' for the 2nd half of the ride due to the uncomfortable otsr 'chopping' at my neck. Also disappointed at how they have to add trims to the drop due to the wheels maybe wearing out. So I think B&M is the safe choice due to reliability and less of a maintanence headache.

-IMO.

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 9/1/10 2:16:15 AM

Hmm...who knows.

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/1/10 11:25:29 AM

> To be honest I'm actually going to be very dissapointed if
> this isn't a hyper with some decent length. Don't get me
> wrong, I absolutely love Hershey and enjoy their coaster
> collection, but they desperately need something longer than
> 3400'(Length of LR, which is the longest in the park).
> Also, I'm very surprised on how many people would prefer a
> B&M over an Intamin. I mean I do understand the reliablity
> difference between the two companies, but the ride
> experience is much more thrilling with Intamin.(Better
> airtime and way more out of control). With B&M you get a
> more comfortable seat, but they feel soooooo IN control.
> Not that I would mind a B&M, but would prefer an Intamin. I
> am just hoping regardless of the manufacturers, it's a
> stereotypical hyper with airtime hills and not a shortened
> version with an abundance of twists and turns, because
> Hershey is loaded with medium length "twisty"
> coasters. A nice, long out & back loaded with airtime
> hills would complement their collection perfectly.
> * This Post Has Been Modified *

I nprefer B&M because the rides they make are better. I just got back from KD and rode I-305 and it was such a letdown, I was expecting a monster of a drop but instead we were braked at the midpoint of going down....why would you want to ruin the best part of a ride?

I also like the B&M hyper seats, to me the clamshell restraint is the best in the industry. I also leave the "out of control" feeling to the wood roller coasters, not the steel.

Just my opinion though

- mugen

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by drachen drachen Profile at 9/1/10 11:45:26 AM

Though I've been saying for many many years that Hershey was in need of a hypercoaster, and while I am thrilled to see that that may finally be coming to fruition, count me among those that have reservations about how good this ride will be.

I've stated on this board many times that Hershey, with their steel coasters, has come up short with their last three installations.

Great Bear started out great, but it's lame ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

Storm Runner, again, started out great, but it's lame ending left me uninspired, and it's capacity is pretty low for such a big coaster.

Fahrenheit, while certainly a more complete ride, and the best of the three in my opinion, has a number of short-comings, including the small trains, and poor capacity as well.

After originally reading that Hersheypark was asking for a height variance in the 200-350 ft range, reading now that the new ride, if it is a coaster, will be 212 feet tall, is a bit disappointing. I wish it was more in the 250 foot range - something that would make heads turn from all over and would be very marketable.

The township-imposed restriction was originally 200 feet, but that restriction dates back to when the airport was open across the street from the park. Hersheypark received a variance for the 330 foot Kissing Tower, why only 212 feet this time?

Look at the surrounding hypercoasters' drops. This ride comes in 3rd in height, and let's only hope that the drop is more than 200 feet.

Steel Force - 205 feet
Phantom's Revenge - 230 feet
Nitro - 215 feet
Superman - 205 feet
I-305 - 300 feet.

I know, maybe I'm judging too quickly. And I would be very happy to see a hypercoaster come to Hersheypark. But Hershey has set a precedent for sacrificing the ride experience to save some money on their past three steel coasters.

They have an opportunity here to make a mark on the industry and build something special - like they did with Lightning Racer. I just hope they actually do it with a steel coaster.

Count me in with Franchise too. This ride needs to be a long out and back, like 5000+ feet long. I want to see 3 trains this time too, capable of holding 30-36 riders. Intamin or B&M, it doesn't matter to me. If I was a betting man, I would put my money on Intamin, meaning Hershey probably signed a multiple coaster package deal with them.

I find it amusing that Hershey stated that they want to bring people back over to Comet Hollow and re-balance the park. Good luck with that. (Maybe they shouldn't have built the waterpark inside the park in the first place!).

Last thing. The 2012 part seems odd to me. No where has Hershey said they are building the ride in 2012, they're just calling it 'Attraction 2012'. They could be misleading everyone on purpose. It wouldn't be the first time they were misleading prior to an announcement.

It sounds as if an announcement is coming sooner than later. Why announce a 2012 ride soon? Do they expect everyone to get excited over a 200 foot coaster - one that's smaller than others in the area - that's pretty much two years away?

Having been up there recently, there are markings all over the place. Why so many markings now for a ride that isn't coming for another 20 months? We shall see, but I'm crossing my fingers for next year.

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/2/10 7:04:32 AM

Really a lot of solid points drachen.

I too feel they are stumbling a bit with the height they have chosen.

It also makes sense that they made a deal with intamin, but if my hunch is correct, yes it's just a hunch, they could create something like Goliath at Walibi World that is only 151ft, so they could make a bigger version, something with those crazy turns.

Now all of this is just guessing as we are only givin a height they are asking for but WHAT IF they go with a divining coaster?

Sheikra lists at 200' and Griffon at 205' so if they don't have to go with IAG they could build something like that with the requested height.

It also doesn't make sense they are pushing this so hard for 2012, it is still far away, and good point about the tower they built that is 300+ ft.

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 9/2/10 7:56:49 AM

> B&M has a 4per row layout over Intamin's usual 2 per row.
> So that means more people can ride at a time and can move
> up the line more quickly using less trains.

Sorry, I don't get that.
It's per car, not per train.
B&Ms carry four people per car (loosely defined, that) as do Intamins.

If you are comparing B&M inverteds vs non-Intamin SLCs, OK that is true re the four vs two per row and an increased capacity.

Mike B.

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by drachen drachen Profile at 9/2/10 9:28:23 AM

> they could
> create something like Goliath at Walibi World that is only
> 151ft, so they could make a bigger version, something with
> those crazy turns.

They could, but I'd rather see a long out & back with a ton of air. It's already been said here, but Herhsy has its fill of twisting coasters.

> Now all of this is just guessing as we are only givin a
> height they are asking for but WHAT IF they go with a
> divining coaster?

I hadn't thought about a diving coaster. It would be a welcomed addition, and at 212 feet it would be the world's tallest. But that too would be short (length) ride, and not fill the hypercoaster void the park currently has. Plus, they already have Fahrenheit which 'dives' at 97 degrees.

Perhaps 'Attraction 2012" is a play on 212 feet (just missing a 0). 2011 is my hope and guess.

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 9/2/10 7:06:41 PM

Yeah the 20102 thing is a play on the height, which is dumb lol.

Also it makes sense what you said about farenheight being somewhat of a diver so there isn't a huge need for a Diving coaster.

IMO anythign that is 212 ft at hershey, is gonna get me to go back again. I haven't been since they debuted Storm runner and Lightning racer and great bear killed storm runner IMO.

This new ride will get my interest to head out there again though.

Re: Hershey plans for 2012 by Franchise at 9/2/10 8:57:54 PM

Another concern is exactly how is this ride going to interact with the Comet? There has been a lot of talk about changing the Comet's structure to accomodate whatever this new attraction will be. I don't know about anyone else, but the Comet holds a special place in my heart(1st ever coaster), and I'm worried that the views from Comet's 1st and 2nd drops might be dramatically changed. One thing I always loved was how each of the drops face slighly inward at each other, causing each drop to seem larger and steeper than it actually is. I think if something is built directly above those drops, that feeling will be humbled.I'm also wondering if this will mean the end of the Sooperdooperlooper. Unlike the Comet, the 'looper isn't a very popular ride, and it would seem like a good decision schematically and financially. By no means would I be in support of removing the 'looper, it's a classic and is very rideable, just looking at it from the business standpoint. I guess we'll just see. If its what I hope it will be I know I can put up with it.