Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > How crowded is Holiday World in August?

How crowded is Holiday World in August?

ben_s

Posted:
7/23/10 at
12:18:51 AM

Hi URC'ers,

I've never been to Holiday World (I know, I know) but I think I'm finally going to make it there in mid-August.

It would be most convenient for me to be there on a Saturday or Sunday, but I could do a Friday or Monday if necessary. (The water park sounds great but I think I'll probably pass because I'll have only one day.) My question is, how crowded is the park on the weekend?

I'd like to be able to ride each coaster say 3 or 4 times (but probably don't need more). What kind of lines would I expect?

Thanks,

-ben

Re: Any word on the Timberliners? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/23/10 1:06:47 PM

Sorry Ben, I can't answer your question. In general I try to avoid all parks in August, as they tend to be very crowded with everyone trying to get in their last rides before the end of summer. And I would especially avoid going on a Saturday. But of course, ANY day at Holiday World is better than a day just about anywhere else (grin) so if that's what you gotta do, then that's what you gotta do.

BTW does anyone have any word on the status of the Timberliners? We're going to HW on Monday to use our free tickets before the August rush, and I didn't want to create a new HW thread since this one was still open. I've checked the HW blogs and there's no word there... of course, they've had other matters at hand lately.

Re: Any word on the Timberliners? by AirBear AirBear Profile at 7/23/10 1:13:05 PM

Rob,

It's my understanding that further testing of the Timberliners will wait until the park switches back to weekend-only operation in mid-August. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

Rick W - AirBear (looking forward to trying those Timberliners someday)

Re: Any word on the Timberliners? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/23/10 1:14:06 PM

Thanks Rick - looks like we're playing "post tag" here.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Leaps at 7/24/10 3:11:52 AM

Looks like the Timberliners were even a bigger mishap than Shoot The Rapids. Wow.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/24/10 8:48:35 AM

> Hi URC'ers,

> I've never been to Holiday World (I know, I know) but I
> think I'm finally going to make it there in mid-August.

> It would be most convenient for me to be there on a
> Saturday or Sunday, but I could do a Friday or Monday if
> necessary. (The water park sounds great but I think I'll
> probably pass because I'll have only one day.) My question
> is, how crowded is the park on the weekend?

> I'd like to be able to ride each coaster say 3 or 4 times
> (but probably don't need more). What kind of lines would I
> expect?

> Thanks,

> -ben

Saturdays are the only days your going to have Crowds and even then you should be able to get mulit rides on each coaster. hell you should be able to do the waterpark for a couple hours and still get em. Raven is running one train but by late afternoon should be little waits and even rerides on a weekday.

Check their schedule as they close daily operation mid august for school starting.

Go, have fun. If you find a coaster too intense, ride it again in the front of the train.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/24/10 1:14:23 PM

> Looks like the Timberliners were even a bigger mishap than
> Shoot The Rapids. Wow.

That's uncalled for as several unexpected events caused further delay and the park made a wise operational decision to push back testing until the end of the summer. Also, the Timberliners did not delay or prevent the opening of a major attraction. Mind you they're also prototypes.

While the Timberliners were hyped to the "coaster enthusiasts" I doubt they played a major role in marketing to the general public. Will the general public even notice the difference? Probably not.

Shoot the Rapids situation is entirely different.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Leaps at 7/25/10 1:11:32 AM

> Looks like the Timberliners were even a bigger mishap than
> Shoot The Rapids. Wow.

> That's uncalled for as several unexpected events caused
> further delay and the park made a wise operational decision
> to push back testing until the end of the summer. Also, the
> Timberliners did not delay or prevent the opening of a
> major attraction. Mind you they're also prototypes.

> While the Timberliners were hyped to the "coaster
> enthusiasts" I doubt they played a major role in
> marketing to the general public. Will the general public
> even notice the difference? Probably not.

> Shoot the Rapids situation is entirely different.

I thought both rides had problems with fitting on the track? That wasnt a fair comparison? Not sure why it's uncalled for... ??? Both rides were prototypes. What are you talking about?

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by alpengeistno3 at 7/25/10 2:27:27 AM

Not sure why it's
> uncalled for... ??? Both rides were prototypes. What are
> you talking about?

> * This Post Has Been Modified *

Because it is Holiday World. You are NEVER to say anything negative or even critical about Holiday World on URC. I'm surprised it isn't in the TOS.

Cedar Fair, Intamin, B&M, fire away. But don't ever say anything about Holiday World, or else :)

Paul

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/25/10 12:45:20 PM

Paul, that's not true at all. You can criticize Holiday World all you want, but if I don't think its deserved then I'm going to speak up and defend the park.

I'm OFFENDED by your remarks and let me explain why. If I "delete and remove" posts that criticize Holiday World then your statement would have merit, but since I do not, then YOU CAN IN FACT CRITICIZE Holiday World on URC. Just because I come to the park's defense doesn't mean that your criticism doesn't stay posted for the rest of the world to read.

People come to the park's defense when the criticism they read is undeserved like in this case.

  • Shoot The Rapids was advertised as the major new attraction at Cedar Point this year and the Timberliners were not.
  • The Timberliners did not delay or prevent the opening of The Voyage.
  • There is no reliable source, rumor or official statement that says the Timberliners did not fit the track. That's a bunch of nonsense since that sort of error would have happened months ago when the test train ran on The Legend.
  • The Timberliners were apparently late to arrive, but ultimately it sounds like the park made the wise decision to put off testing until the end of their busy season. I have to think that the untimely death of Will Koch also put this project on the back burner.
  • The Timberliner trains are a "true" prototype being the first two ever built. The park and manufacturer have a right to properly test and adjust their product prior to putting the general public on it.
  • Undeserved criticism like this doesn't encourage parks to take risks with prototypes, yet these are the type of risks that we as "coaster enthusiasts" often really benefit from.
  • In reality, the only group who were disappointed was some "coaster enthusiasts".

Finally, I don't see how you can classify Shoot The Rapids as a prototype when basically an identical variation of the ride operates at other parks. Yes, there were differences, but flume rides aren't exactly new to Intamin.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/25/10 1:03:40 PM

> Looks like the Timberliners were even a bigger mishap than
> Shoot The Rapids. Wow.

What the Hell? They never stated they'd open with the ride. That they'd hoped to have them running by Holiwood nights. I can tell you there were two problems with the totally new and never tried before trains. One was a Manufacturer misread of the blueprints. The other was shocks in the seating that was not strong enough. Other components of the train have been strengthened and replaced.

How does a Prototype that actually works and there is no reason to think they won't a failure, Just because they got into the busy season and are busy chasing down the parks everyday needs?

The second train was not to be delivered until the first one was fully tested.

I really wish people would get their facts straight before posting minutia and misinformation.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/25/10 4:48:57 PM

Maybe Leaps was just trying to make a joke.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by alpengeistno3 at 7/25/10 5:01:23 PM

> Paul, that's not true at all. You can criticize Holiday
> World all you want, but if I don't think its deserved then
> I'm going to speak up and defend the park.

> I'm OFFENDED by your remarks and let me explain why. If I
> "delete and remove" posts that criticize Holiday
> World then your statement would have merit, but since I do
> not, then YOU CAN IN FACT CRITICIZE Holiday World on URC.
> Just because I come to the park's defense doesn't mean that
> your criticism doesn't stay posted for the rest of the
> world to read.

> People come to the park's defense when the criticism they
> read is undeserved like in this case.

  • Shoot The
    > Rapids was advertised as the major new attraction at Cedar
    > Point this year and the Timberliners were not.
  • The
    > Timberliners did not delay or prevent the opening of The
    > Voyage.
  • There is no reliable source, rumor or official
    > statement that says the Timberliners did not fit the track.
    > That's a bunch of nonsense since that sort of error would
    > have happened months ago when the test train ran on The
    > Legend.
  • The Timberliners were apparently late to arrive,
    > but ultimately it sounds like the park made the wise
    > decision to put off testing until the end of their busy
    > season. I have to think that the untimely death of Will
    > Koch also put this project on the back burner.
  • The
    > Timberliner trains are a "true" prototype being
    > the first two ever built. The park and manufacturer have a
    > right to properly test and adjust their product prior to
    > putting the general public on it.
  • Undeserved criticism
    > like this doesn't encourage parks to take risks with
    > prototypes, yet these are the type of risks that we as
    > "coaster enthusiasts" often really benefit from.
    >
  • In reality, the only group who were disappointed was
    > some "coaster enthusiasts"
    .

> Finally, I don't see how you can classify Shoot The Rapids
> as a prototype when basically an identical variation of the
> ride operates at other parks. Yes, there were differences,
> but flume rides aren't exactly new to Intamin.

Eric, I'm sorry if you took personal offense to my remark. It was not directed at you. (There was a :) at the end of my statement about the TOS.) On the other hand, there are many on this board that are very quick to jump to the defense of anything that Holiday World/Knoebels/name your small-family-owned park does, but will come back and dump on a Six Flags/Cedar Fair park. If a Cedar Fair park promised some prototype ride or equipment and failed to deliver it until later in the season, this board would be lit up with criticism (see the I-305 thread.)

The Shoot the Rapids situation is completely different from the Timberliners for all the reasons you mentioned, but that does not excuse the point...it is almost August and THE TRAINS STILL DON'T WORK!! That is what Leaps was bringing up and that should be a valid criticism of any park, including Holiday World. I don't know why they get such a bye whereas other parks would get reamed. To each their own. If you can explain that to me, I would appreciate it. As far as I can see right now, they deserve the same as any Six Flags whose stuff doesn't work. No one was crying "it's a prototype" when Kingda Ka didn't work and that is way more advanced than a set of trains.

Paul

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/25/10 5:57:57 PM

> it is almost August and
> THE TRAINS STILL DON'T WORK!! That is what Leaps was
> bringing up and that should be a valid criticism of any
> park, including Holiday World. I don't know why they get
> such a bye whereas other parks would get reamed.

What do you mean the trains don't work? Source please? How are they supposed to work when the park and manufacturer haven't completed their on site installation? Work was suspended in June and right around the time that the park lost their president. For a family run business the unexpected death is a very good excuse.

I would tread carefully here because you're starting to sound selfish.

Holiday World is a business and they need to make wise decisions on how to operate their business, especially during the busiest period of their year. The decision to delay the testing until the park scales back to weekends only is a smart decision. Do you like arriving at a park to find the #1 attraction closed or on a delayed opening schedule?

I'll tell you first hand that I was one ticked off customer at Universal Studios Florida last December since Rip Ride Rockit either opened 2-3 hours late each day or didn't open at all for the four days I was there.

Are you really saying that you expect the park maintenance staff to put in overtime, along with the Gravity Group, so they can cycle trains in the middle of the night and wee-morning hours so we can ride a Timberliner?

The fact that the Timberliners are not on track says nothing about the condition or state of the trains. The Gravity Group cannot finish the delivery of their product until the park allows them to proceed. If Holiday World had given the go-ahead I bet those trains would be on track today.

However, what I am reading here is basically that you think this is a major mishap and you ignore what I've repeated that the "General Public" doesn't know a thing about rolling stock. They know a good ride from a bad one and they know an open ride from a closed one.

Shoot The Rapids was a mishap since the park was marketing the new attraction. Last time I checked Holiday World's much hyped and marketed new attraction, Wildebeest, was open and opened on time.

If you want to say that you don't agree with their decision to delay the installation or you think it was a poor business move then fine, I can respect that. However, calling it a mishap and comparing it to what happened at Cedar Point is unacceptable and uncalled for.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Leaps at 7/25/10 6:40:42 PM

I'm not talking about the general public, I am talking about this message board. The Timberliners have been so highly hyped on here, like they are the best invention ever. I said weeks ago that they haven't proven anything yet, and they still haven't.
Eric, all you have proven is Alp's point. Bombs away at Cedar Fair, but HW gets a free pass no matter what. If that is the rule here, fine.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/25/10 7:01:16 PM

> I'm not talking about the general public, I am talking
> about this message board. The Timberliners have been so
> highly hyped on here, like they are the best invention
> ever. I said weeks ago that they haven't proven anything
> yet, and they still haven't.
> Eric, all you have proven is Alp's point. Bombs away at
> Cedar Fair, but HW gets a free pass no matter what. If that
> is the rule here, fine.
>

Yup, they are going to be awesome trains and are also PROTOTYPES, FIRST OF THEIR KIND that were marketed that way to us and told there will be complete testing.

I don't see where HW has any fault in the amtter. How about Maverick for FAILURES throwing 15 Gs in its first loop that had to be removed and changed?????? These trains in no way have FAILED YET.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 7/25/10 7:28:07 PM

Everything always come back to full circle; I guess that this is the HW vs CP wars phase two. LOL.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by alpengeistno3 at 7/25/10 9:02:59 PM

> it is almost August and
> THE TRAINS STILL DON'T WORK!! That is what Leaps was
> bringing up and that should be a valid criticism of any
> park, including Holiday World. I don't know why they get
> such a bye whereas other parks would get reamed.

> What do you mean the trains don't work? Source please? How
> are they supposed to work when the park and manufacturer
> haven't completed their on site installation? Work was
> suspended in June and right around the time that the park
> lost their president. For a family run business the
> unexpected death is a very good excuse.

> I would tread carefully here because you're starting to
> sound selfish.

Don't worry about me. I've never been to HW and never will until they put in something to balance out all those wooden coasters. I could care less about when they get the Timberliners ready because they WILL without a doubt be running when I do go. (Maybe, HW will get that hyper before 2050 or so :)

You may have a point about Will, but his unfortunate death had nothing to do with the fact that those trains were supposed to be operational by Holiwood Nights. The park and GG failed to get it done.

> Holiday World is a business and they need to make wise
> decisions on how to operate their business, especially
> during the busiest period of their year. The decision to
> delay the testing until the park scales back to weekends
> only is a smart decision. Do you like arriving at a park to
> find the #1 attraction closed or on a delayed opening
> schedule?

Maybe, but other parks have found ways around that. For all the problems KD had with Intimidator, they managed to change the restraints, install the trim brakes/sprinkler system and test it all WHILE THE RIDE WAS STILL OPERATIONAL. The Timberliners are just trains. New gadgets, bells whistles, whatever. They should not be having this much trouble getting them to work. (And I think the park thought that when they announced them, but have found them to be a way bigger pain than they anticipated.)

> Are you really saying that you expect the park maintenance
> staff to put in overtime, along with the Gravity Group, so
> they can cycle trains in the middle of the night and
> wee-morning hours so we can ride a Timberliner?

They had their chance to do that. Someone screwed up so they were late. Now the park should be held accountable for their decision to wait.

> The fact that the Timberliners are not on track says
> nothing about the condition or state of the trains. The
> Gravity Group cannot finish the delivery of their product
> until the park allows them to proceed. If Holiday World had
> given the go-ahead I bet those trains would be on track
> today.

Then Holiday World is now at fault, but that is besides the point. The trains are late and now instead of just phasing them in like they had originally announced, they are stuck waiting.

> However, what I am reading here is basically that you think
> this is a major mishap and you ignore what I've repeated
> that the "General Public" doesn't know a thing
> about rolling stock. They know a good ride from a bad one
> and they know an open ride from a closed one.

It's not a major mishap. The ride will continue to run. It's just that it is another case of a manufacturer failing to deliver a product on time, like STR. If Holiday World had planned to wait until fall to debut the trains, they would not have given away Voyages other 2 PTC's. Kudos to them for having the foresight to keep one just in case.

> Shoot The Rapids was a mishap since the park was marketing
> the new attraction. Last time I checked Holiday World's
> much hyped and marketed new attraction, Wildebeest, was
> open and opened on time.

> If you want to say that you don't agree with their decision
> to delay the installation or you think it was a poor
> business move then fine, I can respect that. However,
> calling it a mishap and comparing it to what happened at
> Cedar Point is unacceptable and uncalled for.

Another failed delivery. All I am saying is hold them accountable. The situations are different, but the end result is almost identical. As I said, Holiday World was very smart and quite ingenious to find a way to keep the ride running despite this, but either GG or the park screwed up with their timing.

Paul

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/26/10 8:08:50 AM

My very simple response to all this is I never "believe" what is said about an announced (or supposed) delivery date on anything new. That includes full new installations, overhauls, train replacements, you name it.

I only "believe" the new...insert whatever here...is ready when I actually ride it myself.
OK, that's a ridiculous statement, but most of you get my drift.

Everyone else, you may as well stop complaining/criticizing/comparing and wait for the new ...insert whatever here...to be 100% complete, tested, and ridden by the masses, of which hopefully you will be one.

(the simple) Mike B.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by sparky sparky Profile at 7/26/10 10:25:48 AM

Paul, seriously.

Your points are well taken, and somewhere in that rant is a bit of truth. Take the situation for what it is and just let it go.

Intamin delivered two products to Cedar Fair this year. Both were delivered on time and (in their eyes) ready for opening day. The coaster in Virginia was a total engineering mishap. The flume ride in Ohio was a total communication mishap between the park, the manufacturer, and the subcontractor building the boats.

Eric said it best. The Timberliner trains were really only heavily marketed to coaster enthusiasts. The real purpose for acquiring the trains was that the park believed they would cut back on maintenance/wear and tear on a very aggressive coaster versus continuing to run with the PTC rolling stock.

While the track gauge for both trains is identical, there are several time consuming adjustments that need to be made to "switch" out the trains for testing (i.e. lap bar mechanisms). At the point when the park lost their leader just as they were entering peak season, they absolutely made the correct decision to hold off until weekend operation. I have no doubt in my mind that the Timberliners will be running come late August weekends through the park's season ending weekend in early October.

I am a very objective and fair person (I think) when it comes to discussing parks/rides/etc (after all, I work in the industry and have been involved in both smooth and clusterf&*k projects. This was the right decision. Eric also mentioned the attraction that was marketed to the public (record breaking water coaster) opened on time and has been a huge hit for Splashin' Safari.

The biggest casualty in all of this has been the Raven, as it has been a single train operation all year. Given the short length of the ride, I don't know how much capacity it really gained from two train operation, though.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/26/10 12:57:20 PM

One of the problems with the timberliners that both Will and TGG pointed out is they weren't put on with the coaster being new. There are places in the track that are wearing according to how the PTCs track and differ from the way the timberliners track the rails.

Raven is on most days down to one train in the afternoon till close anyway, At HWN they doubled the staff on it checking bars and it was quite accommodating with one train although most were down at Voyage.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/26/10 1:06:24 PM

> it is almost August and
> THE TRAINS STILL DON'T WORK!! That is what Leaps was
> bringing up and that should be a valid criticism of any
> park, including Holiday World. I don't know why they get
> such a bye whereas other parks would get reamed.

> What do you mean the trains don't work? Source please? How
> are they supposed to work when the park and manufacturer
> haven't completed their on site installation? Work was
> suspended in June and right around the time that the park
> lost their president. For a family run business the
> unexpected death is a very good excuse.

> I would tread carefully here because you're starting to
> sound selfish.

> Don't worry about me. I've never been to HW and never will
> until they put in something to balance out all those wooden
> coasters. I could care less about when they get the
> Timberliners ready because they WILL without a doubt be
> running when I do go. (Maybe, HW will get that hyper before
> 2050 or so :)

> You may have a point about Will, but his unfortunate death
> had nothing to do with the fact that those trains were
> supposed to be operational by Holiwood Nights. The park and
> GG failed to get it done.

> Holiday World is a business and they need to make wise
> decisions on how to operate their business, especially
> during the busiest period of their year. The decision to
> delay the testing until the park scales back to weekends
> only is a smart decision. Do you like arriving at a park to
> find the #1 attraction closed or on a delayed opening
> schedule?

> Maybe, but other parks have found ways around that. For all
> the problems KD had with Intimidator, they managed to
> change the restraints, install the trim brakes/sprinkler
> system and test it all WHILE THE RIDE WAS STILL
> OPERATIONAL. The Timberliners are just trains. New gadgets,
> bells whistles, whatever. They should not be having this
> much trouble getting them to work. (And I think the park
> thought that when they announced them, but have found them
> to be a way bigger pain than they anticipated.)

> Are you really saying that you expect the park maintenance
> staff to put in overtime, along with the Gravity Group, so
> they can cycle trains in the middle of the night and
> wee-morning hours so we can ride a Timberliner?

> They had their chance to do that. Someone screwed up so
> they were late. Now the park should be held accountable for
> their decision to wait.

> The fact that the Timberliners are not on track says
> nothing about the condition or state of the trains. The
> Gravity Group cannot finish the delivery of their product
> until the park allows them to proceed. If Holiday World had
> given the go-ahead I bet those trains would be on track
> today.

> Then Holiday World is now at fault, but that is besides the
> point. The trains are late and now instead of just phasing
> them in like they had originally announced, they are stuck
> waiting.

> However, what I am reading here is basically that you think
> this is a major mishap and you ignore what I've repeated
> that the "General Public" doesn't know a thing
> about rolling stock. They know a good ride from a bad one
> and they know an open ride from a closed one.

> It's not a major mishap. The ride will continue to run.
> It's just that it is another case of a manufacturer failing
> to deliver a product on time, like STR. If Holiday World
> had planned to wait until fall to debut the trains, they
> would not have given away Voyages other 2 PTC's. Kudos to
> them for having the foresight to keep one just in case.

> Shoot The Rapids was a mishap since the park was marketing
> the new attraction. Last time I checked Holiday World's
> much hyped and marketed new attraction, Wildebeest, was
> open and opened on time.

> If you want to say that you don't agree with their decision
> to delay the installation or you think it was a poor
> business move then fine, I can respect that. However,
> calling it a mishap and comparing it to what happened at
> Cedar Point is unacceptable and uncalled for.

> Another failed delivery. All I am saying is hold them
> accountable. The situations are different, but the end
> result is almost identical. As I said, Holiday World was
> very smart and quite ingenious to find a way to keep the
> ride running despite this, but either GG or the park
> screwed up with their timing.

> Paul

>

Your loosing pretty much all respect from me Paul. THE FACT that they are first of their kind trains, That supply problems delayed delivery, The FACT that some parts need changed on the trains FOUND IN TESTING, Has no merit with you???

The fact that HW, TGG has gone way out of their way to try to make things better and accommodate peoples wishes?

The fact that TGG is giving the trains AT COST and therefore loosing money in all the time effort and delay.

Last of all THE FACT YOU BASH A PARK you yourself claim TO HAVE NEVER VISITED and NEVER WILL UNTIL????????

I can think of three words not acceptable on this site but keep paying hundreds and getting six rides a day at all those WELL BAllanced parks with mediocre coasters. I'll keep going to HW, Kennywood, Knoebels, Canobie, Compunce ect where I can spend little and get more than my money's worth.

PLONK!!!!

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by ray_p ray_p Profile at 7/26/10 2:05:40 PM

I feel bad for poor Ben as all he did was ask a simple question about lines at Holiday World, a park he’s never been to and is apparently looking forward to visiting, and after one person responded, his post gets hijacked into a fight over petty crap about Timberliners and Shoot the Rapids. And Mark said I was bitter… ;) < please note the “winky” icon there for me making an attempt at humor.

As far as Ben’s question goes, I’ll add my two cents. I have only been to HW twice, both times in July. It seems though that based on my visits, the lines for the coasters are much shorter during waterpark hours. I remember on my first visit in 2005 (pre-Voyage), Legend was a 10-15 minute wait all afternoon. When Splashin’ Safari closed at 7:00, the line grew to nearly 45 minutes. So my advice would be to do the coasters while the waterpark is open. Also, don’t miss the Gobbler Getaway dark ride and the Liberty Launch double shot. And if you like ice cream, try the red and blue soft-serve. Good stuff! As RobLec said, any day at HW is a good day. They really are a top-notch family park.

Enjoy your visit.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Coaster3.16 at 7/26/10 3:03:54 PM

> And Mark said I was bitter… ;)

That does it, Ray. You can put words into the mouths of any other poster here, but not Mark. That's the thing about this site, you can say something about some posters, but if you dare.... ;)

> It seems though that
> based on my visits, the lines for the coasters are much
> shorter during waterpark hours. I remember on my first
> visit in 2005 (pre-Voyage), Legend was a 10-15 minute wait
> all afternoon. When Splashin’ Safari closed at 7:00, the
> line grew to nearly 45 minutes. So my advice would be to do
> the coasters while the waterpark is open.

I also noticed on my one visit in August that the lines for the coasters were bigger before the waterpark opened as people tried to get in a coaster or two before getting wet. While Holiday World is a park that you don't need a plan of attack for (its great no matter what you do (sorry Paul)), you might also want to try hitting Raven and Legend first, then any lower capacity flat rides, then saving Voyage for later when people start going to the water park late morning.

Enjoy, Ben.

- Jeff

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by sparky sparky Profile at 7/26/10 5:24:23 PM

> And Mark said I was bitter… ;)

> That does it, Ray. You can put words into the mouths of any
> other poster here, but not Mark. That's the thing about
> this site, you can say something about some posters, but if
> you dare.... ;)

I can honestly say that in all of my visits to Holiday World that I have never been punched in the face while waiting in line for any attraction. And this is regardless of weather, number of trains operating, type of trains operating, whether or not maintenance decided to grease the bearing of Hallowswings on the morning of my visit, or how bitter I felt upon waking up.

I can also honestly say I didn't even read the initial post in this thread and for that I am not sorry. I am here to be bitter, create drama, and tell it like it is (as long as you agree with me). After all, I sleep about 4 hours a night and get pooed on by a 5 month old little angel. That has kind of changed my perspective (and numbed my sense of smell) these days!

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/26/10 6:05:05 PM

> Eric, all you have proven is Alp's point. Bombs away at
> Cedar Fair, but HW gets a free pass no matter what. If that
> is the rule here, fine.

No, you're wrong. What you're suggesting is that when someone criticizes something then the rest of us should have no right to respond. If I didn't allow Holiday World criticism then I would modify or delete your posts. No content is removed here. Your gripes, complaints and criticism remain here to be read by all along with the replies.

Also, the difference is in the words "mishap" versus "disappointment". Had you said "disappointment" or disagreed with the park's decision to delay I would never have replied. The comparison to Shoot The Rapids and calling it the biggest mishap is where I draw the line. There is a big difference.

I agree with you that some people on this forum have way over hyped the trains before they've been put into service. I also can sympathize with those who are disappointed, but the delay at this point appears to be a controlled decision, not one caused by something they could not control.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by alpengeistno3 at 7/26/10 6:32:21 PM

> > Your loosing pretty much all respect from me Paul. THE
> FACT that they are first of their kind trains, That supply
> problems delayed delivery, The FACT that some parts need
> changed on the trains FOUND IN TESTING, Has no merit with
> you???

Things happen. It happens all the time. Just don't call it anything other than what it is, a botched project that the park is working to correct.

> The fact that HW, TGG has gone way out of their way to try
> to make things better and accommodate peoples wishes?

And their bottom line that the ride is becoming unrideable due to the PTC's tearing up the track?

> The fact that TGG is giving the trains AT COST and
> therefore loosing money in all the time effort and delay.

> Last of all THE FACT YOU BASH A PARK you yourself claim TO
> HAVE NEVER VISITED and NEVER WILL UNTIL????????

If I am bashing a park because I am saying they messed up, then I bash all parks. (I was working at Busch and telling people that the cutting off the front line rule when Alpengeist first opened was something they should address with GR. And I hardly ever ride the front seat! I guess, I was bashing them, too.)

> I can think of three words not acceptable on this site but
> keep paying hundreds and getting six rides a day at all
> those WELL BAllanced parks with mediocre coasters. I'll
> keep going to HW, Kennywood, Knoebels, Canobie, Compunce
> ect where I can spend little and get more than my money's
> worth.

> PLONK!!!!

>
Okay, so plonk me. I did the traditional park thing. It didn't do anything for me but bore me after 2 hrs. I ride coasters, so a park with only 2 or 3 loses my interest really quickly.

Oh and you should choose what days you go to parks better. I have yet to wait longer than 30 mins for ANY ride other than my one Memorial Day weekend trip to KD, so I got well over 20 or more rides on various coasters whenever I went. (oops forgot Music Day at SFA, but we brought 1400 kids with us, so that shouldn't count). I shouldn't need to tell you that weekdays (Tuesday) is the best day to go.

Don't try to make this about me. We are supposed to discussing parks here. If you can't grow up enough to do that, then I guess I need to plonk you. But I won't because it is not about you. At least not this thread.

Paul

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/26/10 6:39:38 PM

> Then Holiday World is now at fault, but that is besides the
> point. The trains are late and now instead of just phasing
> them in like they had originally announced, they are stuck
> waiting.

All bets were off when the park lost their leader. That is a game changing event for a family business. Can you understand that?

> It's not a major mishap. The ride will continue to run.
> It's just that it is another case of a manufacturer failing
> to deliver a product on time, like STR.

You don't know the reason for the delay or who is responsible. Do you realize that many delays are caused by the customer?

> If Holiday World had planned to wait until fall to debut
> the trains, they
> would not have given away Voyages other 2 PTC's. Kudos to
> them for having the foresight to keep one just in case.

> As I said, Holiday World was
> very smart and quite ingenious to find a way to keep the
> ride running despite this, but either GG or the park
> screwed up with their timing.

Quite ingenious? Are you kidding me? This scenario was planned for in advance. It wasn't a scrapped together idea. Will Koch clearly had this in mind as the backup plan if implementation of the new trains was delayed. What kind of operation do you think they run in Santa Claus? You've never even visited the park.

> Maybe, but other parks have found ways around that. For all
> the problems KD had with Intimidator, they managed to
> change the restraints, install the trim brakes/sprinkler
> system and test it all WHILE THE RIDE WAS STILL
> OPERATIONAL. The Timberliners are just trains. New gadgets,
> bells whistles, whatever. They should not be having this
> much trouble getting them to work. (And I think the park
> thought that when they announced them, but have found them
> to be a way bigger pain than they anticipated.)

Intimidator, oh please. There is nothing prototype or new about a trim brake and the restraint swap was not a major modification. They're not going to cycle the trains for hundreds of hours after swapping a hard restraint for a soft one. Do you have any idea how simple it is to install and adjust a magnetic trim?

If this were a set of Gerstlauer, PTC, GCI or Morgan trains then they'd be "just trains", but these are the first ever set from Gravity Group. That's a big difference. Designing and building the train is only part of the delivery of a new product. Extensive testing, adjustments and modifications are the second part. After they deliver the first, the second order will be easier.

I'm done discussing this. I've made my points. Was it disappointing that the Timberliners were not in action this summer? - absolutely. I was looking forward to the reports. Was it a major mishap? - hell no.

And for the record, I don't even think the delayed opening of Shoot The Rapids was a major mishap either.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/26/10 6:49:31 PM

Well said Eric.

HW has done everything they can do to make things right. Like giving free return tickets to all HWN and a prior coaster events visitors. Making sure the ride had two trains running on it in peek season.

The once most dissapointed in not having the trains running are HW and TGG. Certainly someone who hasn't visited or doesn't intend too.

Seriously, how many bad reviews have you seen of HW? The worst I've seen is the long wait for Wildebeast IT MUST BE WORTH IT FOR THOSE WHO VISIT as are the rest of the parks rides and coasters.

I'd put Voyage equal with all twelve coasters at KD combined. Add raven and legend as bonus'

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by smholter smholter Profile at 7/26/10 11:10:50 PM

> I feel bad for poor Ben as all he did was ask a simple
> question about lines at Holiday World, a park he’s never
> been to and is apparently looking forward to visiting, and
> after one person responded, his post gets hijacked into a
> fight over petty crap about Timberliners and Shoot the
> Rapids. >

Hear hear. Even the moderator can't stay on topic.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by ben_s at 7/27/10 10:17:29 PM

Whew, can't say I didn't get a response.

No but seriously, thanks for the info. I have bought my tickets and am psyched to finally experience HW.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 7/28/10 1:18:52 PM

Woohoo!

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Franchise at 7/28/10 5:17:21 PM

> Whew, can't say I didn't get a response.

> No but seriously, thanks for the info. I have bought my
> tickets and am psyched to finally experience HW.

Make sure you post your trip report when you get back. I tell you what, I got my first Holiday World experience a few years ago. I had very high expectations, and they were exceeded. Just to get you more pumped, just remember, there's a chance that you may say to yourself-"That was the best coaster I've ever been on". When there's a chance of that happening there's always reason to be psyched!

Can't wait to hear your reaction! Have fun.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 7/28/10 11:12:05 PM

> Hear hear. Even the moderator can't stay on
> topic.

If I get that picky with the moderation then the users get upset. Ideally it would stay on topic and the original comment about the Timberliners should have been made in a new thread, but you kind of have to let the conversation flow or you kill the enthusiasm. All the discussion was related to Holiday World.

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by cellocoasterdude cellocoasterdude Profile at 7/29/10 8:33:10 AM

Hey Ben,

Enjoy your first visit to HW, and welcome to the URC family (talk about baptism by fire, yoy)!

As far as lines, when I was there Raven was never a long wait. Either I or others were cycling through re-rides as much as we wanted. Mind you, this was early in season, and during the week. I also saw that the lines were dramatically reduced during peak times at the waterpark. Of course, my information is a bit out-dated because I haven't been there since the first HWN event 3 or 4 years ago.

One other thing to keep in mind is the time change. Double-check to make sure you have it right, they close early enough that you don't want to be surprised.

By the way, who do I complain to that Japan seems to be "delayed" in getting their GG coaster?

-Tim

* This Post Has Been Modified *

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 7/29/10 3:54:48 PM

> Hear hear. Even the moderator can't stay on
> topic.

> If I get that picky with the moderation then the users get
> upset. Ideally it would stay on topic and the original
> comment about the Timberliners should have been made in a
> new thread, but you kind of have to let the conversation
> flow or you kill the enthusiasm. All the discussion was
> related to Holiday World.

Eric,

I APPLAUD your efforts over the years for the ways that you continue to allow for open discussion no matter who says what about who.

Quite frankly, that's what makes URC the best coaster message forum on the net IMO. There aren't younger warlords who have nothing better to do than lurk around the site for 20 hours a day and tell you what you can and cannot say.

I HATE posting on message boards where someone is trying to connect two points together and a moderator steps in and tells the poster to keep it on topic.

You'll let users sort out their differences, even in the middle of a flame war, with little or no interference.

This is why I check URC at least once per day sometimes more.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by alpengeistno3 at 8/17/13 3:35:12 AM
Oh, the irony that comes with the passage of time...

Paul

Voyage trains update

* This post was modified at 8/17/13 3:38:28 AM *

Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/17/13 10:02:21 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Oh, the irony that comes with the passage of time...


Paul

Well, there's always the Warrior :)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: How crowded is Holiday World in August? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 8/17/13 10:18:22 AM
I wonder why they could not get those trains working on the Voyage??? I need to know more!!