Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Blacking Out on a roller coaster?

Blacking Out on a roller coaster?

SFGAman SFGAman Profile

Posted:
6/22/10 at
5:51:57 PM

I remeber not to long ago I went to Busch gardens with my brother and family. We rode sheikra and i thought it was the best! My brother however wasen't to crazy for it. He said during the 90 deggree drop he started to black out. I thought he was joking around cuz 4 gs is pretty high, but not the highest. He claims he was serious that he did black out. I for one have never blacked out or grayed out on a roller coaster. Have you ever blacked out on a coaster? If so which one? Leave replys.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by davidedwards davidedwards Profile at 6/22/10 8:59:54 PM

I have blacked out numerous times on Titan-SFoT during the double helix section before the train hits the mid course brakes.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Nocho at 6/22/10 9:57:34 PM

I only "black out" after 28-30 beers, never on a coaster though. In fact, i think most people are only kidding when they say they black out. Its never happened to me.
I set the high score for the day at KI on the 3pt challenge game, i hit 8-12 three's for 10points. I didn't black out then either, almost, but no...

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/22/10 10:24:09 PM

At worst it's just a grey out. And that's on I-305. KK, it's hard to keep your eyes open unless you have something covering them, so I can't say if I greyed out on that as well.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Streaker Streaker Profile at 6/23/10 12:58:20 PM

I've never experienced a complete black out on any coaster but I have had grey outs on a few coasters.

The first one the comes to mind is Goliath at SFMM. When it first opened and was running witht he MCBR wide open the helix was incredibly powerful and I greyed out every time. After the MCBR was applied then my brey outs were much milder. When I finaly made it to SFOT to ride their Goliath, the first helix greyed me out more the they second helix.

A few others that come to mind include Nitro, Batman The Ride, Tatsu, Superman Krypton Coaser, Poltergeist/Flight of Fear.

About 15 years ago (when I was 30) I was at Great America in San Jose CA and rode Top Gun several times during one visit. On one of my top gun rides I did an unoffical experiement of riding completely releaxed and not holding on and not tensing up any part of body. During that ride I experienced the the closest I had ever come to a complete black out on a coaster. I'm not an physics or medical expert but here is what I discovered about myself. By tensing up my body it helps to keep the blood circulating normally durring moments of extreme positive g forces. Therefore I think just the opposit is true. Experiencing moments of exptreme positive g forces when I relax my body allows for the possibility for grey/black out because there is less blood flow to the brain. Again, this is just my opinion.

After that experiment, I realized how to "allow" myself to experience a grey out on a coaster with extreme positive g forces. After riding many powerfull coasters since then I know how to ride to either prevent or allow myslef to grey out. I prefer not to allow it to happen because when I relax my body I get tossed around in the seat like a rag doll and thats not fun.

-Streaker-

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 6/23/10 2:11:26 PM

> At worst it's just a grey out. And that's on I-305. KK,
> it's hard to keep your eyes open unless you have something
> covering them, so I can't say if I greyed out on that as
> well.

Most people black/gray out on the huge mega coasters exceeding like 250 ft. I know a couple ppl that have gray/blacked out on I-305 or MF. Its funny cause my bro loves raging bull and that is taller and maybe more intense that shiekra. He probably blacked out on sheikra cuz of the insane angle of 90 deggrees.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by CarolH at 6/23/10 5:20:16 PM

I have greyed out on a few coaster - I-305 in the tight curve after the drop and the pretzel loop on the Superman - Ultimate Flights come to mind.

I've never had a problem with Dragster, Millie or KK

VMMV,

Carol H

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 6/23/10 7:09:12 PM

^^^^ never blacked/grayed out on mf S:UF

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/23/10 11:15:32 PM

> Most people black/gray out on the huge mega coasters
> exceeding like 250 ft. I know a couple ppl that have
> gray/blacked out on I-305 or MF. Its funny cause my bro
> loves raging bull and that is taller and maybe more intense
> that shiekra. He probably blacked out on sheikra cuz of the
> insane angle of 90 deggrees.

I don't think the angle would have much to do with the grey/black out. Maybe some people have lower tolerances for some drops? I think it's more the quick transition and/or speed.

As for Sheikra, I guess maybe it's me being used to a lot of stuff now, but I didn't really feel any 'pain' at all. It was just as smooth as any other modern B&M coaster I rode.

For S:UF, the Pretzel loop was just uncomfortable, but otherwise I didn't have any problems on that ride.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 6/24/10 2:07:49 PM

^^^^^ Nowwww it makes sense.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 6/24/10 2:20:31 PM

I305 would be the first time I have ever greyed out on a coaster. And it only lasts for a few short seconds. Once you round the turn and the track straightens out it goes away pretty fast. I think the only other time I have had any strange feelings on a ride would be opening day of Alpengeist...through the cobra roll had a slight tingle in one of my feet...hasnt happened since.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 6/24/10 2:34:08 PM

There were a couple of times I greyed out on the fan curve after Millennium Force's first drop during night rides several year's ago.

I've had grey outs on the second loop of Dorney's former Laser. It may have been a small coaster but the loops were somewhat forceful.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by SFGAman SFGAman Profile at 6/24/10 4:51:44 PM

Hey geuaga dog. I saw your #1 favorite coaster on you page. Raging bull rocks!

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Franchise at 6/26/10 12:56:10 AM

> I only "black out" after 28-30 beers, never on a
> coaster though. In fact, i think most people are only
> kidding when they say they black out. Its never happened to
> me.
> I set the high score for the day at KI on the 3pt challenge
> game, i hit 8-12 three's for 10points. I didn't black out
> then either, almost, but no...

^ I walked on the moon.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 6/26/10 2:28:15 AM

Oddly enough, I only black out on Great Bear in the last row or two and only when it goes around the turn, I eventually come to at the bottom of the hill. Not to mention that I can ride in any other row and be totally ok, lol.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Nocho at 6/26/10 2:28:47 AM

> ^ I walked on the moon.

>

That's funny, but probably only to me. You are jealous of my b-ball game? Yes, i used to put up 25-30 every week, I was unstoppable at times. At 5ft 11 inches I could still score with the best in the area. I shoot the lights out, my last name was in the paper every week, so what.. Even now against ex college guys, I always could score. I was ok in High School, but after is when i figured it out.
I actually have blacked out after 30 beers, not always but sometimes. You can't be jelous of that can you?
So, what are you jelous about Franchise??

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Franchise at 6/26/10 10:32:09 AM

> ^ I walked on the moon.

> > That's funny, but probably only to me. You are jealous
> of my b-ball game? Yes, i used to put up 25-30 every week,
> I was unstoppable at times. At 5ft 11 inches I could still
> score with the best in the area. I shoot the lights out, my
> last name was in the paper every week, so what.. Even now
> against ex college guys, I always could score. I was ok in
> High School, but after is when i figured it out.
> I actually have blacked out after 30 beers, not always but
> sometimes. You can't be jelous of that can you?
> So, what are you jelous about Franchise??

Jealous? Not about anyting at all.Actually I'm glad you found that funny :-) I always say that when someone talks about an acomplishment, big or small.I used to be a decent baller myself, but that was 10+ years ago, LOL. It was only a joke and not meant to insult, and I'm happy you saw it in the same light.

As far as the topic on hand, I've never blacked out on a coaster, but I have had experiences where I've seen stars for a short amount of time after getting off some. A few that have done that to me are Storm Runner, the Laser, Goliath at SFMM, and BTR. The toughest of course being that helix on Goliath, I can see someone losing conciousness from that one. I've never ridden Titan but I'm sure its the same there.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by BellT at 6/26/10 10:38:49 AM

I grayed out on I-305 both times I rode it (pre trim brakes). I haven't visited the park since the trims were added.

I've never grayed out on KK.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by maelstrom-xiii maelstrom-xiii Profile at 6/27/10 10:25:24 PM

I rode Intimidator-305 twice on Tuesday (June 22) and I grayed out both times--it was a somewhat jarring experience...it wasn't anything that deterred me from riding it again, but it was definitely something I'd never experienced before, and I'm a religious Millennium Force rider...never grayed/blacked out on anything before...but I305 is, shall we say, a bit design challenged?

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 6/28/10 1:24:24 AM

The only coasters I ever greyed out on were Goliath at SFMM and what used to be Top Gun (the loop) at what used to be SF Marine World in CA (sorry all the name changes have got me confused and I can't recall the current names). I also had a couple of grey outs on Batman at SFMM but that's only because I had ridden Goliath several times before that.

But I did notice that the more I rode (and this was before they put the mid-brake on Goliath) the less it tended to happen and eventually it stopped happening.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by dator at 1/3/13 1:04:13 AM
I was blacking out on roller coasters, when I would stand up too fast, and even somtimes when I sneezed. I went to the doctor snd they said it's cause I have low blood pressure
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/3/13 9:20:35 AM
The only coaster where I ever experience this sort of sensation is on the Vekoma flyers exiting the loop.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by gvlaker27 gvlaker27 Profile at 1/3/13 12:46:03 PM
When I was younger, I remember greying out on Vortex's helix at KI. While it's not intense, I attribute that to low blood pressure and me just being a kid then.

More recently, I experienced grey outs on rides 9 and 10 of a 10-ride mini-marathon of Thunderhawk at Michigan's Adventure on a 90 degree day. Fun ride, but not 10x in a row fun.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/3/13 2:29:08 PM
I often gray out on Nitro on the helix and on I-305 at the expected spot. I also occasionally experience it on loops and corkscrews on rides like Batman at GAdv.

Unfortunately, when I WANT to black out and miss everything..like, you know, on Dark Knight... I can't.

Mike, responding to this zombie thread in hope it will make Feb. 10 arrive more quickly :)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/3/13 2:57:04 PM
beastmaster said:


Mike, responding to this zombie thread in hope it will make Feb. 10 arrive more quickly :)

Is Great Adventure giving you ERT on DK on that date?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/3/13 4:10:04 PM
Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:



Mike, responding to this zombie thread in hope it will make Feb. 10 arrive more quickly :)

Is Great Adventure giving you ERT on DK on that date?

Joe
Great_Ump

Yeah. Wanna join me? I know Jen'll be up for it, ankle or no ankle.

The answer's actually no. Clever guess, though. Made me smile. The significance of the date has nothing to do with coasters.

* This post was modified at 1/3/13 4:11:11 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 1/3/13 10:00:30 PM
Despite Mike's grey-outs on Nitro, he always manages to keep his hands up in the air and a smile on his face ... grey must be a happy place for him.

My only grey-outs have been on I-305. Pretty cool experience, but what's it doing to my brain cells?

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/4/13 6:06:41 AM
Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

grey must be a happy place for him.

Fifty Shades of it!

Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

My only grey-outs have been on I-305. Pretty cool experience, but what's it doing to my brain cells?

Don't ask.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/5/13 11:31:48 AM
beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:



Mike, responding to this zombie thread in hope it will make Feb. 10 arrive more quickly :)

Is Great Adventure giving you ERT on DK on that date?

Joe
Great_Ump

Yeah. Wanna join me? I know Jen'll be up for it, ankle or no ankle.

The answer's actually no. Clever guess, though. Made me smile. The significance of the date has nothing to do with coasters.

LMAO - good one Joe! Thanks but no thanks Mike! Riding around on my knee scooter gives me more of a thrill. :-)

FYI: that's the date the Walking Dead Returns with new episodes, hence the "zombie" reference.

Jen

p.s. Yes Mike - I've finally watched the past seasons and caught up but Breaking Bad is still my favorite.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 1/5/13 12:17:46 PM
GoYanks34 said:

FYI: that's the date the Walking Dead Returns with new episodes, hence the "zombie" reference.

I watched the entire first season, until they left the CDC in Atlanta, and never even started season 2. I thought it was just okay but didn't think it was that great (same thing with Falling Skies). Little did I know it would become a hit. Oh well.

Meanwhile really good shows like Dollhouse get cancelled. Go figure.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/5/13 12:29:55 PM
RobLec said:

GoYanks34 said:

FYI: that's the date the Walking Dead Returns with new episodes, hence the "zombie" reference.

I watched the entire first season, until they left the CDC in Atlanta, and never even started season 2. I thought it was just okay but didn't think it was that great (same thing with Falling Skies). Little did I know it would become a hit. Oh well.

Meanwhile really good shows like Dollhouse get cancelled. Go figure.

I was getting bored with it as well - thought the first 2 seasons were mediocre at best but this season is really good so far. Breaking Bad is the show I'm upset that's ending - best acting and writing in the history of TV shows IMO.

Jen

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/5/13 2:09:31 PM
Walking Dead will never again be as good as it was that first season and parts of the second. But it's still the only show besides JEOPARDY that I refuse to miss if I can help it.

Nice pick-up, Jen!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by squirrels at 1/7/13 11:38:29 AM
I greyed out a little on the first turn of I-305 and, believe it or not, on Batman The Ride. Both pull a lot of vertical Gs. It's not fully blacking out, but your color vision and detail-hearing starts to fade out a little as blood gets pulled away from the head. It's similar to getting a good carotid-artery choke.

People with lower blood pressure are more susceptible to it. Also, I think depending on what seat you're in, you could be moving faster or slower through part of a turn.

Now as far as BLACKING out, like losing consciousness...that's never happened. That I'd be a little worried about.

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/7/13 4:37:57 PM
GoYanks34 said:

RobLec said:

GoYanks34 said:

FYI: that's the date the Walking Dead Returns with new episodes, hence the "zombie" reference.

I watched the entire first season, until they left the CDC in Atlanta, and never even started season 2. I thought it was just okay but didn't think it was that great (same thing with Falling Skies). Little did I know it would become a hit. Oh well.

Meanwhile really good shows like Dollhouse get cancelled. Go figure.

I was getting bored with it as well - thought the first 2 seasons were mediocre at best but this season is really good so far. Breaking Bad is the show I'm upset that's ending - best acting and writing in the history of TV shows IMO.

Jen

Remind me to tell you about the Breaking Bad riff on Family Guy last night..hilarious.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/7/13 6:22:17 PM
beastmaster said:

Remind me to tell you about the Breaking Bad riff on Family Guy last night..hilarious.

Was it a new episode? I may be able to see it on my "on demand" menu. I'll have to check.

Jen

Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/7/13 9:28:30 PM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:


Remind me to tell you about the Breaking Bad riff on Family Guy last night..hilarious.

Was it a new episode? I may be able to see it on my "on demand" menu. I'll have to check.

Jen

I believe it was new....Family Guy was my favorite show until...well..Sunday night at 9 is an interesting time slot. If there's no new WD, I go back to Family Guy. If you wath it, be sure to watch the whole episode..the Breaking Bad riff is re-visited later on. Sorry to go off topic...but Family Guy's humor is sometimes referred to as "blackout" humor, so it sorta fits.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by glutton glutton Profile at 1/9/13 1:12:47 AM
There's a spot on Top Gun/Flight Deck at California's Great America where I usually "brown out," and I've also experienced "brown outs" on Goliath at SFMM, and I think on Invertigo when that was at CGA. There have probably been a couple other, but I'm blanking out on which ones!
Is it bad that I think of the brown outs on Top Gun as a sign of a great ride?!
Re: Blacking Out on a roller coaster? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/9/13 6:47:52 PM
glutton said:

There's a spot on Top Gun/Flight Deck at California's Great America where I usually "brown out," and I've also experienced "brown outs" on Goliath at SFMM, and I think on Invertigo when that was at CGA. There have probably been a couple other, but I'm blanking out on which ones!
Is it bad that I think of the brown outs on Top Gun as a sign of a great ride?!

Just because Al Roker is proud of his browning out at the White House does not mean everyone needs to hear about it...

C'mon, that's funny.

Joe
Great_Ump