Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else?

Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else?

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
6/6/10 at
10:36:44 PM

HWN was great - good weather, Wildebeest was a blast - four rides, plus a rollback, evac and reboard, and relatively light crowd for ERT... not sure at this point whether or not I'll write a TR. But just one ride on Voyage gave me such a headache, I just couldn't bring myself to get back on again. Instead we spent most of Saturday night riding Raven, which was flying.

Voyage's opening year I heard many say that they couldn't re-ride due to its intensity, and upon my third visit could finally endure multiple re-rides. But this past weekend, the jackhammering caused such pain at the base of my skull that I became serious concerned.

I definitely intend to return later this summer and ride Voyage once the Timberliners have been broken in. I'm curious if there are others who had a similar experience this weekend.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/6/10 10:53:04 PM

> HWN was great - good weather, Wildebeest was a blast - four
> rides, plus a rollback, evac and reboard, and relatively
> light crowd for ERT... not sure at this point whether or
> not I'll write a TR. But just one ride on Voyage gave me
> such a headache, I just couldn't bring myself to get back
> on again. Instead we spent most of Saturday night riding
> Raven, which was flying.

> Voyage's opening year I heard many say that they couldn't
> re-ride due to its intensity, and upon my third visit could
> finally endure multiple re-rides. But this past weekend,
> the jackhammering caused such pain at the base of my skull
> that I became serious concerned.

Damn that sucks you couldn't do re-rides. Did you ride in the old Voyage train or the modified Raven one?

> I definitely intend to return later this summer and ride
> Voyage once the Timberliners have been broken in. I'm
> curious if there are others who had a similar experience
> this weekend.

I cancelled my flight to SDF and will go later when the Timberliners are broken in. Those trains were the deal-breaker for me. And after reading your problems with Voyage I'm glad I didn't go.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by boyzbad at 6/6/10 10:57:22 PM

I don't know about the TL's but the MF's do nothing to smooth out a ride. I have rode 2 new GCI rides in their first year and re-rode them the following year and it was night and day. CF park and SF park FWIW. I look forward to trying the TL's on Voyage.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/6/10 11:28:35 PM

> I don't know about the TL's but the MF's do nothing to
> smooth out a ride. I have rode 2 new GCI rides in their
> first year and re-rode them the following year and it was
> night and day. CF park and SF park FWIW. I look forward to
> trying the TL's on Voyage.

Ride those GCI's with PTCs and get back to us!

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by gad198 gad198 Profile at 6/7/10 12:02:59 AM

Yeah, we had the same issues although it took a few more rides to get that sensation. The bottom of the first two hills were much rougher than I remember. Interestly enough, the Raven train provided the best rides both nights and I had perhaps my best ride on Voyage Friday night in that train. Our worst ride was actually in the very front. The back of the train actually was easier to handle. Unfortunately, my friend could only muster three rides in the two nights due to the intensity.

Overall though we had a great time. Wildebeest is really good and Raven and Legend were both running great. The two people who came with me couldn't say enough great things about Holiday World. It was really nice of HW to give all of the event attendees free tickets to come back. We'll definitely be using those free tickets...once the Timberliners are in action.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 6/7/10 5:03:11 AM

I really enjoyed the intensity of Voyage this weekend.

Friday night's ERT was much tamer than Saturday night's for some reason.

Saturday night Voyage was FLYING through the course.

I logged seven or eight rides total on Friday between being in the park during the day and ERT.

Saturday night I only logged five rides. Very intense.

It didn't help that my tee shirt was riding up my back and I was being thrusted up and down in the seat from all the airtime. I got sunburnt pretty bad on my back on Saturday and when the tee shirt went up, my raw back was brushing up against the back pad of the rrain.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Katie Katie Profile at 6/7/10 8:38:10 AM

I noticed the Ravage train Friday night had a square wheel on the rear axle in the middle of the train. It was clunking up the lift hill and I was worried about the ride and I got hammered.

The rest of the rides for me were in the way back seat (back seat woodie snob here) and were smooth and fast and full of airtime.

I got one ride in the 2nd car, front seat and it did nothing for me other than give me a lot of floater airtime.

The blue train I think was running better than the Ravage train.

I got about 8-10 rides on it all weekend due to me just being exhausted and getting a touch of heat stroke Saturday afternoon.

I thought it was very re-rideable, but I can't wait to try with the Timberliners.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by saginawhxc saginawhxc Profile at 6/7/10 10:50:11 AM

Between the two days I put in about 40 to 50 rides over all on it, and that probably puts me around 80 rides total for the year. I usually lose count somewhere past two...

I find the jack hammering bearable, but it's there. I can't ride more than 20 to 30 rides in a day before I start to get a headache. In fact I only rode 4 rides during the day on Saturday because I found that I had a slight headache from the night before.

On rides I'm not familiar with I'll put rides in all over the train, but on a ride I've ridden as much as Voyage I'll usually just plug myself into the shortest line I can find in the middle to back area.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/7/10 11:40:56 AM

We rode in the blue Voyage train, as I'd heard the Raven train was rougher. Others in our group confirmed that. I think we were in row three or four... I'm not sure. The first drop had almost no air, though the second hill had nice float. Also the tunnels and triple-down seemed tamer.

On the plus side, the turn-around area and return run lacked the slamming that had previously required such guarded riding. Also having the lights off at the MCBR was especially nice.

I am familiar with Voyage's intensity and at an earlier HWN had logged twenty-something rides on it over the course of the event. Both the ride and I are a bit older now. Since Ed no longer posts here I suppose I may be the oldest one here (anyone is welcome to challenge me on that - please!). And as I also had trouble handling the early morning ERT on TTD at last year's Coastermania, I'm willing to accept that my issue with Voyage may be my age, but I'd much rather attribute it to Voyage's aging.

It was nice meeting you Saginaw. And Joe, I'm sorry we didn't meet up. I had asked Chuck to point you out sometime but frankly we saw very little of each other. My apologies to anyone whom I may have slighted by hanging in our own group (you know how it is).

It was nice of Will et al to provide the free return visit tix. My older son will be stateside next month and we'll make good use of them. I hope the TL's live up to everyone's expectations.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/7/10 11:44:00 AM

> HWN was great - good weather, Wildebeest was a blast - four
> rides, plus a rollback, evac and reboard, and relatively
> light crowd for ERT... not sure at this point whether or
> not I'll write a TR. But just one ride on Voyage gave me
> such a headache, I just couldn't bring myself to get back
> on again. Instead we spent most of Saturday night riding
> Raven, which was flying.

> Voyage's opening year I heard many say that they couldn't
> re-ride due to its intensity, and upon my third visit could
> finally endure multiple re-rides. But this past weekend,
> the jackhammering caused such pain at the base of my skull
> that I became serious concerned.

> I definitely intend to return later this summer and ride
> Voyage once the Timberliners have been broken in. I'm
> curious if there are others who had a similar experience
> this weekend.

Rob, I recieved rides in the same seat on two different rides and the first would be fine. The next you'd hear and feel the wheels banging around under the train, When it did this i was getting pain at the base of my skull. honestly the second night I only took two rides on voyage mainly because I couldn't take that anymore. The vibration of the wheels banging around. Actually both nights I rode Legend a ton including ending saturday with about 10 straight rides for the last 45 minutes. We finished it off Patton Style with a yee haw ride :) One time Saturday night we had four out of the six cars on the Legend full of URCers or their guest :)

Your not wrong. Voyage sometimes was very violent shaking. I can take the aggressiveness but not constant shaking.

Bring on the Timberliners!

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/7/10 11:45:43 AM

What the hell you talking about? I've yet to ride a rough MF trained coaster

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/7/10 1:30:23 PM

I thought Voyage was the "same old" no matter which train I rode.
Which means for me that three rides in a row, with say a five minute station wait in between, is enough, and then it's time for a blow, get some beverages and chat with whoever is in the plaza. And/or hit up Legend and Raven.

I thought all three woodies were flying in the darkness, no complaints from me. On Voyage, I found that row two (yes, an axle seat!) was pretty good on both trains. Legend, front car. Raven wowed more in the back.

Mike B.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Katie Katie Profile at 6/7/10 2:16:50 PM

I completely agree about Raven, Mike! I was completely WOWed by Raven both nights. It was running beyond fast and my back seat rides were completely HOLY CRAP amazing!!!!

Legend was running off the chain too both nights. They must have done some extra TLC loving to all woodies because they were all awesome!

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/7/10 2:47:16 PM

Row two is my seat :)

Mike I agree same ole It did that vibratie thing before this year and occationally in cars four and five you got some jarring rides.

Don't know why though, It seemed to bother me more in the back of the neck this year.

Chuck, saying it didn't always do that but once I got two in a row in different trains that both did it. I was done.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 6/7/10 3:20:29 PM

> It was nice meeting you Saginaw. And Joe, I'm sorry we
> didn't meet up. I had asked Chuck to point you out sometime
> but frankly we saw very little of each other. My apologies
> to anyone whom I may have slighted by hanging in our own
> group (you know how it is).

No worries though I'm sure you saw me at some point Saturday night and didn't realize it was me.

Here's a link to my Facebook page (since after all these years here I still cannot figure out how to post pictures)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=6036673&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=1217414427&id=830779691&ref=pf

I was the only guy walking around all night with a bright pink tiara on my head.

Joe
Great_Ump

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/7/10 8:45:42 PM

And did anyone ever find out what the hell died inside the Voyage tunnels? Made me want to gag, unless I remembered to not breathe in while inside them.

Mike B. (who actually wondered "chemicals? was work going on in there?" but forgot to ask)

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 6/7/10 9:02:05 PM

> And did anyone ever find out what the hell died inside the
> Voyage tunnels? Made me want to gag, unless I remembered to
> not breathe in while inside them.

> Mike B. (who actually wondered "chemicals? was work
> going on in there?" but forgot to ask)

Someone in our group had the theroy that it was one of the bags of corn that was tossed from the TL testing that's been rotting away down there in the heat.

Sounds plausable to me.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by junebugg junebugg Profile at 6/8/10 3:59:31 AM

> And did anyone ever find out what the hell died inside the
> Voyage tunnels? Made me want to gag, unless I remembered to
> not breathe in while inside them.

Which tunnel(s) had a foul smell?

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/8/10 8:07:25 AM

> Someone in our group had the theroy that it was one of the
> bags of corn that was tossed from the TL testing that's
> been rotting away down there in the heat.

> Sounds plausable to me.

> Joe
> Great_Ump

That could be it.

As to junebugg's question "which tunnels," LOL, how many are there?
I never remember all the specifics of a coaster!

It was noticeable in two tunnels:
The first one, and then in the long one that contains the double down. That's the one I tried to remember to take a breath before entering.

Mike B.

* This Post Has Been Modified *

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by AirBear AirBear Profile at 6/9/10 11:55:22 AM

Oh Rob, you just had to go there didn't you :-)

Alright, I'll put my two cents worth in with the following disclaimer. My comments here are about the coasters only, mostly Voyage but to a lesser extent Legend and Raven as well. These comments are not a reflection on the park or event overall. And I will readily admit that our 55-year-old bodies were at the end of a very exhausting week-long trip where the heat and humidity had totally worn us out. Still ...

Is Voyage too rough to ride? In my opinion, it's certainly getting there.

The biggest problem I had last weekend was the inconsistency of the rides I experienced. On Voyage I got rides that ranged from good (a couple) to mediocre (most) to bad (a few). And it didn't seem to matter which train or row I was in. I rode in various places on both trains (except for the very front and back rows), and there seemed to be no predicting how the ride would turn out.

Granted, Voyage was running very fast and dishing out the airtime and lateral slams its known for (and I have never had an issue with the intense laterals on that turnaround). But it also was running rough at times, delivering a headache-inducing shaking that I was not expecting. I had to take some Tylenol because of it, and that is extremely rare for me.

Further, I noticed this inconsistency to a lesser extent on Legend and Raven as well. In my opinion, none of the coasters were performing as well as they are capable of - I have enjoyed better rides on all 3 at past events.

My uninformed speculation, for Voyage in particular, is that the wheel assemblies are being kept a bit on the loose side because the trains are tearing up the track. This could contribute to the rather unpleasant shaking that I noticed.

None of this caused me to stop riding, but I certainly did less riding than I would have liked. So I say bring on the Timberliners.

Rick W - AirBear

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/9/10 2:20:00 PM

> Oh Rob, you just had to go there didn't you :-)

> Alright, I'll put my two cents worth in with the following
> disclaimer. My comments here are about the coasters only,
> mostly Voyage but to a lesser extent Legend and Raven as
> well. These comments are not a reflection on the park or
> event overall. And I will readily admit that our
> 55-year-old bodies were at the end of a very exhausting
> week-long trip where the heat and humidity had totally worn
> us out. Still ...

> Is Voyage too rough to ride? In my opinion, it's certainly
> getting there.

> The biggest problem I had last weekend was the
> inconsistency of the rides I experienced. On Voyage I got
> rides that ranged from good (a couple) to mediocre (most)
> to bad (a few). And it didn't seem to matter which train or
> row I was in. I rode in various places on both trains
> (except for the very front and back rows), and there seemed
> to be no predicting how the ride would turn out.

> Granted, Voyage was running very fast and dishing out the
> airtime and lateral slams its known for (and I have never
> had an issue with the intense laterals on that turnaround).
> But it also was running rough at times, delivering a
> headache-inducing shaking that I was not expecting. I had
> to take some Tylenol because of it, and that is extremely
> rare for me.

> Further, I noticed this inconsistency to a lesser extent on
> Legend and Raven as well. In my opinion, none of the
> coasters were performing as well as they are capable of - I
> have enjoyed better rides on all 3 at past events.

> My uninformed speculation, for Voyage in particular, is
> that the wheel assemblies are being kept a bit on the loose
> side because the trains are tearing up the track. This
> could contribute to the rather unpleasant shaking that I
> noticed.

> None of this caused me to stop riding, but I certainly did
> less riding than I would have liked. So I say bring on the
> Timberliners.

> Rick W - AirBear

Totally agree Rick, Very inconsistant 0n Voyage, Had a couple good but several shaky rides and its the trains.

Legend however to me was running better than it has in years (Second year of PTC) The only shaking I felt is if there was a empty car behind me. I only rode raven once and it was running great as well.

I hope you liked the Timberliners, I wish you'd gotten to ride them.

Was great seeing you and Colleen, Even if only for short times. Your the best :)

Re: Midwest weather too rough for Californians? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/9/10 5:24:26 PM

He-heh... sorry, couldn't pass it up. But seriously, it's good to see you post. We heard there was some seriously rough weather in northern Ohio overnight, which extended into northern Indiana and Illinois as well. Any horror stories from your overnight drive to the airport you'd care to share? New thrill ride for Holiday world: instead of Paul Revere's midnight ride, it's Airbear's midnight drive.

Re: Midwest weather too rough for Californians? by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 6/9/10 5:44:44 PM

Anyone else here old enough to remember Stormy Raven Mad? Must have been a dozen years ago. Tornado warnings for Spencer county and taking refuge in the clothing shop! And really fast rides on wet and greasy tracks afterwards!

Roz

Re: Midwest weather too rough for Californians? by AirBear AirBear Profile at 6/10/10 11:45:13 AM

> He-heh... sorry, couldn't pass it up. But seriously, it's
> good to see you post. We heard there was some seriously
> rough weather in northern Ohio overnight, which extended
> into northern Indiana and Illinois as well. Any horror
> stories from your overnight drive to the airport you'd care
> to share? New thrill ride for Holiday world: instead of
> Paul Revere's midnight ride, it's Airbear's midnight drive.

Rob, it was great seeing you and Laurie again at the event!

No weather problems on the overnight drive to O'Hare at all. We were actually surprised to hear about the weather issues in northern Ohio as we didn't see anything to speak of, although it did look like a storm had passed through earlier. The only issue with our drive was getting a bit drowsy just north of Indianapolis, but that was solved when we came across an IHOP just outside of Lafayette - 4am breakfast stop featuring lots of coffee!

The closest we came to nasty weather all week was Wednesday evening driving from Silver Dollar City in Branson to Worlds of Fun in Kansas City. As we were heading north on US-71 past Joplin / Carthage, we heard an emergency alert on the radio warning of severe thunderstorms with potentially damaging hail for Barton County MO. And a quick check of the map showed that we were just about to enter Barton County! As we debated whether to pull off the road and ride it out or keep to going, another emergency alert came on saying the storm had stalled just over the state line about 20 miles to the west of us in Crawford County KS, and that a tornado had touched down! So we kept the pedal to the metal and the worst we encountered was some impressive lightning and torrential downpours, but no hail or damaging winds. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

> Totally agree Rick, Very inconsistant 0n Voyage, Had a couple
> good but several shaky rides and its the trains. Legend
> however to me was running better than it has in years
> (second year of PTC). The only shaking I felt is if there was
> a empty car behind me. I only rode Raven once and it was
> running great as well. I hope you liked the Timberliners, I
> wish you'd gotten to ride them. Was great seeing you and
> Colleen, even if only for short times. You're the best :)

Chuck, it was great running into you at HWN as well. I don't know about the best, but we're alright I guess :-)

Raven and Legend were definitely running better than Voyage, but we still experience some shaking on a couple of rides there as well. Still, I had one Legend ride in particular that reminded me of the stellar rides we experienced on it back when it ran the Gerstlauers. Those lap bars may have left Colleen's legs all bruised, but the G-trains tracked beautifully and gave us the best rides we've ever had on Legend!

As always, the folks at HW put on another great event and we're very glad we made the trip!

Rick W - AirBear

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by lakotajm at 7/30/14 10:10:14 AM
RobLec said:

HWN was great - good weather, Wildebeest was a blast - four rides, plus a rollback, evac and reboard, and relatively light crowd for ERT... not sure at this point whether or not I'll write a TR. But just one ride on Voyage gave me such a headache, I just couldn't bring myself to get back on again. Instead we spent most of Saturday night riding Raven, which was flying.

Voyage's opening year I heard many say that they couldn't re-ride due to its intensity, and upon my third visit could finally endure multiple re-rides. But this past weekend, the jackhammering caused such pain at the base of my skull that I became serious concerned.

I definitely intend to return later this summer and ride Voyage once the Timberliners have been broken in. I'm curious if there are others who had a similar experience this weekend.

This is 4 yrs later and it gave me a headache both times I rode it. I refused to get back on.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 7/30/14 10:45:26 AM
Every time I've been to Holiday World (Oct 2012 and Oct 2013), I've been able to marathon Voyage, my number 1 coaster (wood or steel). I have around 45 laps on my two trips to the park, including night rides since I've been during the Halloween event.

I've done about half my Voyage rides in the front seat and the other half in the back car, with about half of those in the back "axle" seat - basically the norm for where I ride on all woodies or coasters in general. And I had no problems or issues with any of the seats.

I realize I am not the "norm" among both modern GP and modern enthusiasts for whom "smooth" is critically important, as I've never ridden a traditional woodie yet that was too "rough" for me to marathon on - even woodies that tracked poorly, shuffled, or jackhammered.

That said, I don't recall Voyage having any of those issues. It tracked pretty "smoothly" as it had just had plenty of offseason trackwork done (I think before my first trip). The only "roughness" I noticed was due to the natural intensity of the ride itself - a relentless combination of air and laterals, sometimes occuring at the same time, throwing you out of the seat WHILE slamming you into the side of the car or seat divider. I LOVED IT!

I wouldn't personally call what I experienced on Voyage "rough" (if "rough" means to track poorly), but I would call it physical, intense, and aggressive (which are compliments in my book!) And I wouldn't want it any other way!

I for one am glad the PTCs stayed, because they are my favorite woodie trains on the planet. The padding is comfortable, I get lots of room for airtime, and it is easy for me to keep one hand on the inner edge of the bar so it stays where it is set and doesn't fall down and staple me midride. Having never experienced the Timberliners, there is no guarantee they would give me the same wild ride I get on Voyage with the PTCs. Maybe the contoured seats would make laterals slam you around less, or maybe the lap bar needs to go down tighter than the PTCs, or maybe the shock absorbers on the TLs take some of the wild, aggressive feeling the PTCs give away.

Of course, all of these concerns could be moot, but the TLs are for me an unknown commodity, and I KNOW that Voyage gives me the BEST rides I've ever had on ANY coaster with the PTCs. So I am glad they ultimately decided not to mess with what is, for me, perfection! (see the link on my sig for my first impressions of Voyage)

PS. I met Dan Koch at closing on my first trip to HW, and he and one of the maintanence guys were impressed by the number of laps I logged on Voyage. (and I could have done more, but, being as much a "parkie" as I am a coaster fan, I wanted to experience everything else in the park!)

* This post was modified at 7/30/14 11:16:57 AM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World. Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
"Voyage To Paradise" - http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/profiles/frontrider/blog/340
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/14 11:12:56 AM
I'm a fan on The Voyage also. It's my 3rd favorite wooden coaster, with only El Toro and Outlaw Run being higher on my list. I also will marathon The Voyage and I prefer to do it in the back seat. Those 3 coasters I mentioned, along with Boulder Dash, are on a completely different level than the rest of the wooden coasters. If anyone has one of those 4 listed as their favorite wooden coaster, I completely understand why. To me, The Voyage has never been rough, and I've ridden throughout the years. I rode it in 2007, 2009, and my most recent visit in 2012. It was a little bumpy in a spot or 2, but provided a great ride each time I rode it. So I'm another person who loves The Voyage, and doesn't think its too rough.
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? Question? by coastinj coastinj Profile at 7/30/14 11:30:18 AM
frontrow said:

I'm a fan on The Voyage also. It's my 3rd favorite wooden coaster, with only El Toro and Outlaw Run being higher on my list. I also will marathon The Voyage and I prefer to do it in the back seat. Those 3 coasters I mentioned, along with Boulder Dash, are on a completely different level than the rest of the wooden coasters. If anyone has one of those 4 listed as their favorite wooden coaster, I completely understand why. To me, The Voyage has never been rough, and I've ridden throughout the years. I rode it in 2007, 2009, and my most recent visit in 2012. It was a little bumpy in a spot or 2, but provided a great ride each time I rode it. So I'm another person who loves The Voyage, and doesn't think its too rough.

So I was t there this year, when are the Timberliners being out on? I thought they shelved that idea!

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/30/14 11:39:39 AM
Frontrider said:

Every time I've been to Holiday World (Oct 2012 and Oct 2013), I've been able to marathon Voyage... I don't recall Voyage having any of those issues. It tracked pretty "smoothly" as it had just had plenty of offseason trackwork done (I think before my first trip). The only "roughness" I noticed was due to the natural intensity of the ride itself

Please note that my post was dated 2010 and was regarding Voyages roughness in 2010, following lots of thrilling rides in 2006 thru 2009. The fact that they may have fixed some track several years later was no reason for me to go back and change my post. Just saying.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Frontrider Frontrider Profile at 7/30/14 12:18:54 PM
RobLec said:

Please note that my post was dated 2010 and was regarding Voyages roughness in 2010, following lots of thrilling rides in 2006 thru 2009. The fact that they may have fixed some track several years later was no reason for me to go back and change my post. Just saying.

I know, I certainly didn't mean for it to sound like I was arguing or challenging your opinion ;) My reply was because someone else bumped the thread, reopening the discussion about whether the ride was too "rough". I got the impression that poster had ridden recently since he referred to "4 years later".

So it seemed like it would be okay to discuss my recent rides on it, in the context of the discussion being reopened as to how its running now ;)

It's tricky anyway, even comparing rides from the same season, month, or day, because people have widely different opinions and tolerances of "roughness".

If someone finds a ride too "rough" the same day I ride it and have no issues with it, I can certainly respect that, because everyone's taste and the way they experience things is unique to them.

coastinj said:

So I was t there this year, when are the Timberliners being out on? I thought they shelved that idea!

They did shelve that idea!

* This post was modified at 7/30/14 12:22:14 PM *

"If it isn't wood, it's not as good!"
Favorite wood and overall favorite - Voyage, Holiday World. Favorite steel - Nitro, Great Adventure
"Voyage To Paradise" - http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/profiles/frontrider/blog/340
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by lakotajm at 7/30/14 12:31:59 PM
When I rode in 2012 I did not get a headache but this year it seriously hurt.
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/30/14 1:58:59 PM
I think I'm just lucky were The Voyage is running well when I visit. I will most likely ride it again next year, due to Thunderbird's installation.
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 7/30/14 5:36:38 PM
Frontrider said:

I know, I certainly didn't mean for it to sound like I was arguing or challenging your opinion ;) My reply was because someone else bumped the thread, reopening the discussion about whether the ride was too "rough". I got the impression that poster had ridden recently since he referred to "4 years later".

So it seemed like it would be okay to discuss my recent rides on it, in the context of the discussion being reopened as to how its running now ;)

Cool. If Voyage is running better now days then that can only be a good thing. Personally I was not entirely sold on the Timberliners anyway. Thunderbird certainly looks interesting. Just being B&M's first launched wing coaster is reason enough to make the trip!

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 7/30/14 7:10:57 PM
I can't wait to get back to Holiday World for the first time in a few years. I am going to go to HWN for the first time in 2015!! Voyage is the best and most epic coaster I have ever been on!! Can't wait to see my girlfriends reaction after the ride. I just keep telling her it is not just a ride but rather an experience!!
Dion
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by HWLover HWLover Profile at 7/31/14 3:27:58 PM
Umm yes the Timberliner Trains is no longer an option for Voyage. And I find Voyage re-ridable. The one I struggled on was The Legend. I've never had to actually hold my head on a coaster until then.
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 7/31/14 9:25:04 PM
I cant remember the last time I read a HW TR, are they struggling? Voyage was so great, for a short time.
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 8/1/14 2:33:29 PM
NotSo said:

I cant remember the last time I read a HW TR, are they struggling? Voyage was so great, for a short time.

Probably not exactly struggling, but not the place we used to know and love... at least not for me anyway.

Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 8/1/14 3:25:56 PM
I recall the jackhammering on Son of Beast (RIP). My solution was to grab the handle in front of me and pull my back off the seat. The hammering would stop.
On Voyage, I like to keep my feet planted on the floor, wide base, back, again off the seat, to take the fast direction changes. The sensation reminds me of slalom skiing.
Re: Voyage too rough to ride - anyone else? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 8/6/14 12:34:46 PM
We were at HW back in May (I posted a very small TR at the end of the thread at http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/230479 )

Voyage was what I would call very very intense. It wasn't "rough" as I would put it. But it does take a toll on you. There isn't anything I could describe at jackhammering, shuffling, slamming, or anything like that- not like Gwazi, Psyclone, Son of Beast, the old Raging Wolf Bobs or others I would describe as rough, but you certainly feel it working you over.

We took 2 rides. I would have liked more, but needed a break between even those 2 just to feel like I could get my breath back. I've no clue how that compares to the past.

I certainly plan on trying to make a return trip next year though.